Options

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Options
    I’m an up run person. I’ve done it up twice and down once, not deliberately, just the way it worked out. But I’m definitely better at running up hills than down them - that was confirmed at the OCC when I managed to overtake quite a few places on the uphills and then lost them all once we got over the top. I probably ought to work on my downhill running skills. Time to creep into the gym with a couple of bricks, maybe...?
  • Options
    Hi all.

I am considering running Comrades in 2019. First timer.

I am a marathon runner, can qualify etc.

I just wanted to get some insight from people who have run it before on the best way to go about things.

My thought process was to simply book a flight into and out of Durban a week apart around the 9th such that I can have a little holiday too (never been to South Africa). Then I guess all that is needed is to book a hotel? Any recommendations? Are AirBnbs worth looking into? The only other logistical thing is getting back from the finish but as I understand there is a bus..?

I am fairly well travelled but I keep seeing posts along the lines of “”It is ugh Africa.. keep your wits about you”. I assume it is like most places - don’t be an idiot and everything is fine?

Finally.. I’ll likely be travelling solo. If any other Brits are going and what to organise logistics together.. friend are always nice :P Sadly I don’t know anyone mad enough to run 87km !

Thanks
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Thomas.

You've certainly come to the right place to find mad people :):)
  • Options
    Thomas - welcome! 

Frankly, ‘don’t be an idiot and all will be fine’ is as good a mantra for getting you through Comrades as you’re likely to find. 

No problem travelling alone, lots of us do it. Personally I prefer to travel by myself for this one, it means I can be totally selfish about what I do and when, before, during and after. Stick around here - there will be lots of Brits, and plenty of events and meet-ups. You might also find others on the same flights.

I had a look at Airbnb’s this year, but it seems like there are lots further along the coast and not many in Durban itself. Hotelwise, if you want to blow your budget the Hilton is the race hotel and the most convenient. Cheaper but still good options are City Lodge, Belaire Suites, or any of the other big ones along the front near the Belaire. 

Security wise - it’s generally fine in the main tourist streets and along the seafront, but be sensible with cameras, obvious displays of cash etc. Uber is good for getting around.

Also - the whole thing is an astonishing experience, and be prepared to keep coming back!
  • Options
    And yes, there are buses back to the main hotels from the finish - they take a while, but it’s all part of the experience.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick responses ! Much appreciated.

Flight wise I found some BA flights direct to Durban from Heathrow. Fairly priced so that seems easy.

Hotel wise.. I’ll look into it now.

I agree that from a simplicity POV it is probably best to do my own thing re logistics and then I’ll hang around here and see if anyone is on the same flights etc.

I am a marathon runner traditionally and am currently battling through a shin issue to hopefully PB London 2018. Comrades has been on my to do list for a long time and seems like the next step up.

Banking on physio and exercises resolving my current issues but as is typical races have to be entered half a year in advance so hey ho.
  • Options
    So.. I've done my research. Well.. as much of it as I can.

It looks like most of the standard recommended hotels are all booked. The Hilton is still available and whilst more expensive just seems a lot easier. The problem - the refundable option is a lot more expensive so I need a more definitive plan. Anyone that has stayed in the Hilton - I assume i still need to get the Breakfast option if I want Breakfast? There isn't a special setup for Comrades?

From reading past Comrades posts it seems like a lot of you just go for 3 or 4 days and then head back. My thought process was to extend it to at least a week (possibly 2) and have a mini break. Has anyone done similar/have recommendations of 'must do' things for a first time visitor in South Africa?

Is there any merit in booking a hotel in Pietermaritzburg for 1 or 2 days after the race?

- My thought are 3 days in Durban pre race, have a little explore.
    - 2 days in Pietermaritzburg. 1 day of recovery. 1 day of exploring. Mainly so there is no stress in getting back to Durban whilst physically destroyed.
    - 2 - 9 days back in Durban and/or anywhere else accessible that anyone would absolutely recommend going (28, male, solo traveler).

Thanks for your time !
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    There is loads you can do if you extend the trip.  There's a reserve north of Durban that can be done as a day trip or longer if you have time.  There are things to do around PMB such as the Drakensburg hills or a trip to Lesotho but the city itself isn't worth a day of exploration, I think.  I've never been to Kruger but it looks like it would be great.  Cape Town is fantastic if you don't mind travelling a little further.

I've stayed at the Hilton once but lowrez is our Hilton fan so I will let him comment.
  • Options
    ***ENTRY KLAXON***

8am on Friday was a red herring - it’s open now - GO! 
  • Options
    Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    Evening all, long time since I posted. Everyone seems to be going along very well
    I’m finally  training again, hoping to qualify at NY.
    thanks for the heads up RR I’m in 
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up RR.

I'm NOT in.

I've lived here 4 years almost and have Permanent Resident status since last year, but no ID so far as I am still waiting for my marriage certificate 'vault copy' to make an application.

Normally I enter as ASA Club Member -> South African and can use my passport number instead of my ID.  I have tried the same this year, but my entry is rejected as the ID field is in the incorrect format wrong.  I could enter as Rest of Africa or Foreign athlete, but that is not the point.

SA Permanent Resident enjoy the same rights and privileges as SA Citizens - therefore my argument is that I should pay the SA entry fee.  I have written to the Comrades team to ask for clarification.

This is a marked turn around from when I arrived in SA and the government institutions, banks, employers, etc. excluded me as a foreign citizen and I had continuous set backs in daily life because of my immigration status.  Comrades was the only one who treated me as a 'South African' and welcomed me as a foreigner in South Africa
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Drama for me too

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Yeah!  I'm in.  Also book flights and hotel.  All good to go :)
  • Options
    I see the entry fee has gone up some what, to £202.00 - 60%.  I guess the policy is to keep raising it until the numbers fall.  I had better train and not just go for a run round again.
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Saw you on the entry list Lowrez so you fixed the card issue, along with Max, Marty and Becca. 

Bike It - quite right you should only pay the SA fee, hope you get the admin sorted soon.

233 days to go! :-)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yep, sorted, my bank texted me, very good security, I could automatically respond and clear Comrades as a valid vendor, had to rush to work after that, all cool now :) Also pushed 6000 rand on to race4charity, although you can't list that yet, to secure a PenC place, assuming I qualify sometime, went for Community Chest Durban... in work in my pink suit today - its wear it pink day for breast cancer - causing somewhat of a stir!
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Thomas - welcome to Comrades!

I'm one of those that tags on a (well earned) holiday at the end.  There is plenty to do and see in the area and further afield.  There are private game reserves which are driveable, I was in one North of Pietermaritzburg this year.  Kruger is excellent but connecting flight via Jo'Burg.  You have diving options (Terry is our expert here) and I even tried horse-riding this year.  Golf is good in SA if you are into that.  Cape Town is definitely worth a visit but the past 2 years in June it has had storms/floods.  Fine if you are wine tasting around Stellenbosch but you wouldn't go to CT for the weather at this time of year, where Durban is typically a nice c.25C.  All depends how you want to spend your time.  I've managed to catch some of the international rugby too on 2 of 3 of my trips.
  • Options
    Thomasclowes - welcome. Don't worry about the end and the stress of getting back. Firstly, all the buzz is back in Durban. Breakfast meet ups, photo shoots, evening meals and lunch (obviously lots of eating there!!) 2 years ago I remember we saw Becca at the end and walked (admittedly rather a long way) to the buses. It's a very simple process and all part of it. You'll be amazed that you're able to walk after but you will.

Bike It - hope you get entry sorted soon.

Lowrez - wouldn't be right if you'd had a straight forward entry :)
    Looks like you need to make another list.

Really can't decide which is my favourite direction

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Thomas - for an up run the Hilton is very convenient, just a short walk from the start - but plenty of other hotels are too - it also opposite the Expo - but other hotels are within easy walking distance. There is no alternate Comrades breakfast, so you would do best buying with standard breakfast included, of course they get up early and the restaurant is a buzzing with the amazing breakfast they serve anyway.

I've never paid full listed "rack rate" - always search and wait for what I consider to be a bargain - this year I have paid £93.66 per night including breakfast.

The restaurant is pretty good, think open till 10pm, but they never throw you out, so always enough time to get back from PM and have a slap up meal, again I suspect most other hotels would do that too - I've never stayed anywhere else and its becoming a bit of a superstition with me - so much so that I jumped ship from the Belaire Suites (where all the cool kids hang out) pretty close to the finish last year when a good rate popped up for the Hilton.

• Options
    Lowrez - love the suit, wouldn't go with my complexion but suits you Sir!
  • Options
    Lowrez - seriously cool suit 
  • Options
    ....is it wrong I'm disappointed you couldn't find shoes to match?

Entry done, qualification entered.   Now just to avoid silly diversions and inadvertent breaks in training

Sub-9 or bust!!!!
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I'm in and it's great to see so many familiar names on the list already.

I hope you get your entry sorted Bike It, most frustrating.

Looking very sharp lowrez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRHBLwpASw

I remember that walk to the buses Snail and wondering just exactly where we were going but this was a much better set up. After the first two down runs I did the return buses were poorly organised and took an absolute age to even get out of the car park.
  • Options
    Great suit lowrez! You know there used to be a chap that ran Comrades in his suit, albeit not bright pink...

I’m in - need to sort out hotel and flights now...

Throwback to some really old faces - Goni and JB! - I guess you’re not surprised that I’m still here :D 

My preferred run is the Down - I hate running Harrison flats in the afternoon sun and the bus back from the finish...
  • Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    More than 8000 entries already!
    Feeling stupidly frustrated about not entering...
    Thomas, it's only from about Thursday to Monday nights inclusive that you're going to find places filled/filling up, so you can always book a hotel for those and worry about the rest later. Some people leave on the Monday so you could even wait for booking that night, if you don't mind risking having to change hotel.
    This year my husband came over with me and we hired a car and went up to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi safari park for a few days, which was great - my only regrets are that we couldn't be there longer, because I wanted to run Thousand Hills parkrun on the Saturday, and that we didn't get down into the Imfolozi section for longer (we were staying in Hilltop, which is in the Hluehluwe (pronounced shushloowe, with the we as in the word 'we') section. If I was there again, I would go on fewer organised drives and more self-drives. Kruger National Park is a little further away but is amazing (I've been there previously). Whether you go on an organised tour or by yourself depends on finances and personal preference.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    ....is it wrong I'm disappointed you couldn't find shoes to match?

The shoes were an option, but, nearly cost as much as the suit, so I left them out, was aware that a white shirt didn't go that well with black shoes so invested in a dress black shirt and whilst searching for pink cuff links found the above. Which is one half of a certain album cover - name the band and the album...

• Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Division Bell, Pink Floyd.....showing my age :-)
  • Options
    More than 9000 now...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Spot on Mac :) I went to see Saucerful of Secrets last month - didn't have my suit then though. Scary how that generation ahead of us are slowly slipping off the edge.