Snowdonia Marathon 2018

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Where will this end?  Is a Quin Snod possible in 2019??

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I think running numbers are out.  Anyone know how to find them?
  • I hate to tell you TRex, but the guy who did 3 laps last year is apparently going for 6 this year, starting Friday morning (and has whipped up a crew of fellow runners who are all doing between 2 and 6 - maybe the Liswerry guy is one of them).

• What with you, your fellow local runner and Dwayne and his posse it's going to be busy out there! How's the shins TR? Is the quad still on for you?

Numbers can be found here https://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-ERYRI-2018?fbclid=IwAR35Sx2wOoa6pLWNGeZcDFaAg95P8eRlhp3CvZXZ5pbpAxW80p5cBT7OFuw#/tracker just type your name in. I'm 1699 for Snod number 13 and marathon number 90 - knee permitting!

Also the race t-shirts are up on the facebook page - finally a black one :-)

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Give it few years and it’ll be the runners who are *only* doing a single lap who are in the minority...!
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Morning All,

As always I feel like a small candle in the prescence of halogen spotlights with what you lot get up to  :)

Well, no jogging for me this week. Body just didn't feel up for it.

Not sure why I decided then that it would be a good idea to do a xfit workout this morning.

Warm up - 600m jog & 50 shoulder roll outs, starting with a poly pipe, then 10kg bar, 15kg bar, finishing on a 20kg bar.
    Strength - work up to the weight to use in a snatch complex. For me today that was 40kg. The snatch complex is power snatch from the ground, squat snatch from the knee, then full squat with the bar over head. 6 x complex, once every minute.
    WOD (Work out of the Day) was 21 power snatch, 200m run, 21 overhead squat, 200m run, then the same but 15 reps, then the same at 9 reps. 30kg on the bar for me and completed it in 13m 17s. 30kg was really light to start with. It felt like 100kg towards the end!

Mrs Chimney has been trying to get me to do these classes with her several times a week. Done them a few times and TBH, quite enjoy them. Just don't want to build muscle. I'm sure if I did them more often it would help increase my 5k/10k speed, concerned though what effect it may have on my mara capability if I had to lug a bit more weight around. Any thoughts/hints/suggestions on this sort of thing combined with mara training/capability?

Chesterfield half on Sunday. As I'm (Honest Guv) jogging round, I may toddle off to a Parkrun tomorrow as well. Officially on 71. I kept Mrs C company on quite a few so we could do our 50th together but didn't go through the funnel. Of course I don't regret that I haven't got that 100 T shirt.....  ;-)

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • That's the kind of cross training session I'd like to do to help with my running Cimney. I've started yoga sessions together with my wife - I'm hoping that will help.

Thanks for the shout out re the trainers brer (I'll look into them) - I switched to Hokas just over a month ago - so far so good.

I think the tshirts in recent years have been great - I'm planning to get to the registration centre on Friday afternoon - hopefully I can buy some previous years tshirts. I like the look of the ME water bottle - another great addition to the race, although my request for mine to be filled with beer at the finish has fallen on deaf ears!?!

• The Lazy GreyhoundThe Lazy Greyhound ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

The t-shirts have been good over the years. Use mine a fair bit and no sign of wear. Definitely better than most.

At the risk of going against the positive comments on the water bottle on Facebook I am not entirely sure about the idea of reducing plastic waste by, err, giving everyone a plastic bottle!? With races going cup less a better approach would have been to give everyone a collapsible cup before the race and then save on the 1000's of plastic cups being used around the course. 

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    I agree entirely LG!  Or at least ask people if they want a bottle, so they are only providing them for people who do - i know that means they’d probably have to give them out at registraton rather than the finish....i know we have more than enough plastic bottle in this house to last a life time!
  • Totally agree with the collapsible bottle suggestion, I hate hard bottles in my pack. T shirts look fab this year :smiley:
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    6 laps?!  157.2 miles??   A total eclipse of T Rex.

It's going to be a busy night.  Headtorches everywhere.  Who started this nonsense???

So, for 2019, 7 then?   Or shall I go straight for the deca? (I have actually got plans for that on the back of an envelope.)

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, LG.  I'm #1417

Shin is painful, but I've been on my feet a lot today.  Mind you I will be next Friday as well.

Cool, dry, strong wind, and sunny intervals forecast.

6 laps ....   ??!
  • No 1273 for me. 

I'm one that carries a kilo of water on my back to make life harder for myself & save chucking away lots of plastic.

Huge admiration for anyone doing multiple SNODs... Just epic work.

Forecast is looking promising. Getting those pre race nerves already. 
  • T-Rex, want to post the schedule for a sub-4:30?

Kings Forest 50k done, and it was easy up to 18 miles but then the wheels fell off in spectular fashion. Within a few strides it went from cruising to having absolutely nothing in the tank. The last half marathon distance was a death march. But job done.

A week of rest and recovery before resuming the challenge on Saturday.

To be honest 4:30 may be a struggle. What's the cutoff?
  • Accord to netweather.tv the Forecast for pass of Llanberis on Saturday morning is.........

snow showers until 7am then sleet then rain

Reel feel temp of 0C

Later on at Waunfraur reel feel temp of 4C with 30mph winds
  • I don't like that forecast! Can we find a nicer one somewhere? :)

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

FR+, My maternal grandfather told me you can always tell a persons charcter by how easily they give up. Think he'd be impressed with you.

Had a chilled weekend. Did Chessy Half yesterday. Yes, I know I said I was going to take it steady, and I really did mean to. And I did(ish). Between 3- 5 miles there's a dual carriageway that you run up. I decided to (Gave myself the excuse to) go faster than intended to get that bit out the way and then take it easy the rest of the way.

On the way back down the long hill to town I stopped to chat to a friend for a few minutes. Coming into town I saw Mrs C so stopped for a hug, kiss, & chat.

About 9 miles I came across a friend who was struggling, said his legs had gone. He wanted X time and decided to go out waay faster than that and hang on as much as he could to get an even better time. Think we've all been there at some point! Stayed with him, chatting, occasionally persuading/cajoling (Read bullying) him to jog, try to lengthen his stride (He's early 20's and has legs that wouldn't look out of place on a giraffe etc. 

About 1.5m to go I said he could get under 2hr, just needs to push it a bit. He did respond but you could see he was pushing against the tide.

As we approached 400m to the finish I advised him to put everything there, go for it. No response. At 200m I tried again. Still nothing. At 100m I tried again. And he was off like he hit the afterburners. I saw him sprint away and realised I was going to have to really sprint to catch him. 

Caught him about 50m to go and realised I was still accelerating. I hadn't really put any effort in as such so felt I still had a decent effort left and went for it. According to Mr Garmin I peaked out at 11s 100m pace for about 30m. Always was a better sprinter than distance! Steve and I came in at 2:01.

Good things to take away from it.
    I could have gone under 2hr and it wouldn't have been the effort I thought it would have been.

I woke this morning feeling very little was stiff, painful etc. I even went to the xfit gym this morning (Praying it wasn't a lot of running or squats. Guess what it was.....).

Bad things.
    My neck, which is never going to be good, (Playing hooker is great fun but the years took thie toll on my neck & shoulders), was giving me grief almost straightaway. It hasn't recovered from York mara. It's been a tad painful all week so I knew it was going to need a lot of management. 

And so to Snod. Taking what I did at York, plus this weekend I think I could get round without a new PW, but it's going to be close.

Flicked at a few forecasts. It could be sunny, it could be cloudy, it could be raining, it could be snowing, especially at higher levels, it could be 3 degrees, it could be 12 degrees, and colder than those at higher levels. 

So a pretty much normal Snod weekend then.
  • It's a 'throw all kit in the car for wotever' packing for me! I'll be rocking up the A55 Friday, get to digs then go and register. Anyone at Y Pantri around 6 pm, be good to see you xx
  • The forecast looks scary! Definitely going to be my coldest SNOD in 9. I don't mind cold. That in itself doesn't slows you down but 30mph winds will!! Argh. I'm really trying to stay positive here but that forecast isn't great for a PB attempt. And I'm talking about an outright marathon pb. Gutted if I'm honest but will hope and pray that it improves this week. 

T Rex : painful shins = listen to body + don't be stupid = enjoy the main event - sack off any thoughts of a multi lap run. Seriously... Give it some thought. I see absolutely nothing to be gained by killing yourself out there. You did a very impressive double last year. That can't be bettered this year so come back when you are stronger another year, and just focus on the single. No one here is holding you to anything and more importantly no-one would want you to get a more serious injury. Sorry for the lecture. Just don't understand or think the risk is worth it. Just my opinion.
  • Six miles banked tonight. Legs felt ok. Perhaps getting older and slightly more experienced aids recovery. Let's rock this sub-4:30. Sod the weather, I sweat like the fat lad I am in a chip shop at the best of times. #bringiton
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Retinaculum a lot better now, thanks, Stu.  I think I'll be OK.  I haven't done any training for a 'fast' marathon so I think I'll stick with what I've prepared.

It's the season ender for me so I don't mind being out of action for a while, if necessary ...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    For FR+:

1-5   10:30
    6-13   9:30
    14-22   10:00
    23-24   14:30
    25-26.2   10:10
    TOT   4:29:52
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    THE SINGLE

2:50
    • TrailRunner22  

3:00
    • Ultra Disco Stu 

3:30-4:00
    • John Bach  
    4:00 
    • #1273  Hobie  1495 4th SNOD
    • #1699  The Lazy Greyhound  13th SNOD, 90th mara

4:20
    • Chimney

4:30
    • BritNick
    • Fenland_Runner_plus
    • Pete Thomas 6  
    5:00
    • Brickhill Runner

Enjoying themselves
    • brer rabbit
    • dave turner 5
    • Gringo WBA   9th SNOD
    • InsideForward
    • jasond2
    • Mc Hilly
    • mr panad
    • Number108   24th SNOD
    • Reydon Rover
    • Robert Phillips2
    • runwithmysetter

THE QUAD
    • #1417  T Rex

• TrailRunner22TrailRunner22 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm number 1062...
    The sub 2.50 is in serious doubt though I fear.. Groin is still giving me grief. Managed 10 miles on it Sunday but it wasn't 100%. Running downhill seems to aggravate it so i'm dreading the first descent off pen-y-pass! Still going to give it a go.... Although I might not finish till the following day. Depends how the groin holds up....

Agree with Stu T Rex.. Don't feel obliged to do the quad just because you said you were going to. Plans change and sometimes you have to put your health first. There will be other years where you're in much better shape and able to do it justice.

Looks like it's gonna be a cold one!
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Morning All,

Another to suggest to Mr Rex that he's old enough, wise enough, knowledgable enough to know the difference between wanting, able, & sensible..... ;)

Number 1898 for me.

First race this year where I'm starting to get the jitters. Little bits of compounds running round my body restricting my ability to fully concentrate on anything else except Saturday. 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    THE SINGLE

2:50
    • #1062 TrailRunner22  
    3:00
    • Ultra Disco Stu 
    3:30-4:00
    • John Bach  
    4:00 
    • #1273  Hobie  1495 4th SNOD
    • #1699  The Lazy Greyhound  13th SNOD, 90th mara
    4:20
    • #1898  Chimney
    4:30
    • BritNick
    • Fenland_Runner_plus
    • Pete Thomas 6  
    5:00
    • Brickhill Runner
    Enjoying themselves
    • brer rabbit
    • dave turner 5
    • Gringo WBA   9th SNOD
    • InsideForward
    • jasond2
    • Mc Hilly
    • mr panad
    • Number108   24th SNOD
    • Reydon Rover
    • Robert Phillips2
    • runwithmysetter
    THE QUAD
    • #1417  T Rex

• Thanks T-Rex, I'm loving that timing schedule. #jointhesub430bus
  • I’ve landed in Llanberis and there is cold feel in the air. Looking forward to seeing everyone. 
    4:30 is not in the books. Put me down for the enjoyment.