Comrades 2019

Comments

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I'm entered .. officially going for green!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Peter, that's exciting.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Starring Peter R...

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    What news from your recovery and training Dannirr?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Looks like half the 25,000 entries will be easily taken up today, currently at 11,300
  • Peter R, that's great!
    Lowrez, this is crazy-fast I suppose after last year everyone is determined to get in quickly and not risk losing out. Of course, there's always the 'do the training and wait for substitution time' approach (which I'd been considering as a strategy until I put in my SDW100 entry).
  • too easy ...pink floyd..division bell 
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Today at the gym I was both wearing it pink and honouring Comrades entries opening. Comrades socks and buff too
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Looking good Becca! Are you on the International Space Station, and has someone just spilt a bag of Skittles in the room next to you? Taste the rainbow! 
  • Feel sorry for anyone in SA still waiting for pay day and watching this. 

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Haha, lowrez, that's the climbing wall which is normally very popular.  Skittles would be nicer.

Indeed, it's a big chunk of money and places are disappearing fast so it's a shame for anyone who needs to wait for payday.
  • Almost a wrap for me.....have a good weekend all! 
  • Becca - there are Comrades socks? 
  • Thanks for all the insights everyone. Looks like I’ll certainly be able to fill a week. Walks, and safaris are the two obvious stand out options. I think I’ll stay around Durban and hit up Cape Town in 2020 for the 2 oceans :)

My thinking is as suggested just to book the Hilton for 4 days over the race date and then organise myself on the ground as regards what to do after the race. Hopefully I can meet some of you before/after and get your insights !

My only other question is given the lack of time difference does anyone see any issue with arriving early morning on the 7th and just taking it very easy for 48 hours pre race as opposed to getting there 3/4/5 days early?
  • Thomas, arriving Friday morning should be fine. It's advisable to arrive Thursday evening/Friday morning, not any later, to allow for any delays with flights (lowrez can tell you all about flight delays!).You need to go to the expo to collect your number, and if possible it's best to do that on Friday and rest on Saturday, not spend Saturday on your feet going round the expo. Many of us nowadays have a pre-Comrades jog at North Beach parkrun, which is along the Durban promenade, on the Saturday morning, but then try to rest.). I've travelled Gatwick-Dubai-Durban the last 3 years and really enjoyed the Dubai-Durban flight, arriving Thursday late afternoon - it's full of Comrades runners. 
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Norrie kindly advised me on FB that I am a South African according to ASA rules. So i've written again to Comrades and will pay over the counter at Nedbank and then apply by post. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I was just about to say Bike It that you can write what you like in the box on the entry form, but getting it in rapidly would be key, 15,000 plus entries already gone - so what gets you the place reserved for sure - is it that payment? Hope you are sitting outside the bank right now!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    RR - they didn’t have Comrades socks last year but in previous years they’ve been an essential purchase for me. I hope they have more next year!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Thomas, I usually arrive Friday, morning would be nice, but delays can creep in to best laid plans; in 2017 I missed the Friday Expo completely and went Saturday afternoon, this year I got to it 23 minutes before it closed on the Friday but being an oldish hand at this now was in and out collecting everything I needed and having a good old chat to the staff as I nonchalantly cruised through. Don't stand in the long queue trailing out of the building - you are an International runner - there is a separate section of the desk for us, usually top left, usually pretty short or no queue, so walk past the long line and go in to the building.

Its good to do the course tour - well is it for a newbie - do you want to see those hills first hand before you run them? I intended to but slept in and missed the tour on my first run. Arriving Friday means your only option is the Saturday tour which conveniently kicks off from outside the Hilton at 7:00am. Note though that you will miss hanging and relaxing with all the other cool kids if you do this, they tend to arrive earlier and do the Friday tour which allows them to do the Durban Parkrun Saturday morning and then loll on the beach or go to the cinema etc. The tour gets back at about 2:00pm and lunch is included.

Its good advice to stay off your feet but the tour is not much of an impact, I really enjoy having something engaging to do and always have a great laugh with a coach full of other worried runners and there is actually lots to see, PM museum, wall of honour, you actually drive 99% of the route that will be run, and you get to sit down a lot on the coach which gently massages your frame as it winds and climbs and bobbles along the route.

We also generally manage to have some evening pasta on the Friday, but I have never attended due to arriving later than expected each time.

Monday morning breakfast at Mugg and Bean is a nice relaxed affair, lots of Brits (and others) descend on that and our Comrades Ambassador arranges a group photo. I usually fly back that afternoon. I have got into the habit of strolling down the waterfront - a mile or so which is really nice to stretch the legs - and many of us drop in to Joe Cools for "light refreshments" including lunch.

Regarding the starting grid - you are placed there depending on your marathon qualifying time - the race is gun-to-gun so time spent waiting to  get over the start line is burning away to your disadvantage - if you are slowish - like me - you can save vital minutes by collecting 6,000 Rand or more for charity and you get boosted up the grid - this may only save you seconds, but as a serial 11:5x finisher I may never have had any medals at all if it was not for this fortunate boost.

• TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Please humour me :# I’ve just checked the start list using the app and I’m not on there.  I assume that is hasn’t been updated.  I have my email that says “Thank you for your registration to participate in Comrades Marathon on 09/06/2019.”.  I assume all is well but...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    TCP go here and type in any part of your name, can you see your entry?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Here you go RR - Comrades toe socks, top right in this fine wool combo pack, mine fit like gloves :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good luck in Amsterdam Mac!
  • TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    1owrez said:
    TCP go here and type in any part of your name, can you see your entry?
    Perfect. I’m there.  Panic over.
  • Good luck Mac3!!  

TCP - I’m enjoying the anxiety - so early on, you’re getting into the swing of things fast!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Old school entry phase 1 - pay

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I went to the counter in Nedbank and there was no staff there.  I was informed "he is in the toilet relieving himself. He's going to be a long time". If course at the machine the details provided by Comrades on the entry form don't work. I had to use the 'alternative' details from the website.

It couldn't be more of an African experience. 
  • Mac3, good luck.
    TCP, glad you've been able to confirm your entry.