Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'll start the ball rolling with the run reports as the big ones will probably take a bit longer to compile eh SG!

Fleet 10k for me today and a real targeted race as a) done well there in the past and b) did not have a decent Po10 10k all year (mostly down to it being so stupidly hot all summer). No complaints about weather today and perfect conditions.

Got off to a rapid start as the 1st k is downhill through the High St but even so 3'28 a bit quick for me. Steadied it to about 3'45 for a few k then the 5th is uphill and that went up to almost 4 mins. Overtaken by now by 2 v60's (both top5 in their age cat in the country though). 2nd 5k is another identical lap and though harder still maintained my place amd pace, each k fairly consistent.The last is uphill and the turn to the finish just brings you another climb. Even so through to the line in 38'16 for 31st and 2nd v50 prize. Just the 1 second slower than last year and way quicker than my other 2018 10k's so very pleased about that. Maybe benefited from no fast pr yesterday😏; just a jog round in 26 mins with my daughter. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good work Pete. You have salvaged the thread's day, as although I'll still milk a reasonably long report out of it, as I enjoy it, we're not talking anything beyond "moderately solid" today I'm afraid.

Hoping you're all generous as I have bored on about this race and the 2month specific block, not to mentioning completely disappearing from my own club scene while I got this out of my system.

So erm...let's get this over with!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, after a long enjoyable summer of absolutely rampaging short events and races, with hoons as far afield as the south coast, Wales and Burnley, I needed a new emphasis, and a new training block.

Post Wokingham, I'd only really done a few events like Marlow 5 where i'd felt a little lacking - albeit weather playing a role that day.

Johnas stepped up talking threshold, and gave me a few sessions. Before we knew it, he was the coach man, and oversaw a fairly different approach for 2 months. Out was the classic mid 60miling week with 2 sessions, in was a threshold heavy 3 sessions a week, 50mile week limit with no doubles.

Have to be honest I found that lack of running fairly hard, but embraced it. I've taken a little bit of abuse on here over the years for not taking tips on board, which I thought was harsh in the Moraghan days, as you take a coach on and do what they say - that's the whole point. But since then, I have tried to mix in different new stuff.

Work colleagues had to deal with constant jibber jabber, with no doubles to ease me down! But some of the sessions were absolute colossal beasts that I certainly could see you'd need less mileage.

The one bit that did make me wonder was the way the sessions didn't follow Moz's linear - start with easiest, finish with the toughest sessions.

This was straight in with tough sessions, and I use the example of 3x2miles at threshold being a fairly early session, rather than the peaking session for instance.

I must admit I perhaps got a bit blasé when the 20-15-10-5min session was done, as after you've covered almost 8.5miles at 5.50 pace, just doing mere 1mile reps at that pace is a blast. Similarly, 30mins at 6.01 or 40mins at 6.06 is pretty easy to get your mind round too after that!

So GSR came around finally, and the week before I was pretty warm and stressy inside. The 50mile weeks led to this taper week of 42miles including the race! Unsettled me thinking of so little mileage, but the plan was worth a look.

Booked into a sordid (c Dachs) Travelodge in Alton Four Marks - one of those security free jobs where you're in some non locked, no staff member adjoining buildings :)
    Have only done a stay over for a race twice before, the Burnley 5k and some Welsh parkrun, but made more sense than trying to time it well to get to such a packed race 85miles away. I remember back to 2012 when myself and Bus set off really early, and stopped 40mins or so in to eat, to make sure timings were right!

This time a solo affair, but there were vaguely people I might know, though an old pal had pulled out, I thought our own Matt H had, and the chances of meeting up with 2 Gosport pals were unlikely amongst 16-20,000. My ex workpal who lives down there now was still going to be there..probably.

55 or so miles last night then, after seeing Wycombe go 2-0 down in 7mins and win 3-2 in the 96th min :)

30 or so this morning to Southsea.

Dodgy back woody roads route until the main part, all going well until the 5miles from the event.
    THIS was the moment, I realised I'd monumentally ballz up with the fluid intake.

I'd actually had my watch out to follow Ric's "No fluid 2 hours before race start time", but hadn't realised it'd come through so hard, with me stuck in traffic.

We were reaching untold levels of bladder discomfort. Almost, but not quite matching the time I had a boss at work in the car on a United trip and was almost bent over double, before limping into a Tesco for a literal 10min piss. (if any kids are reading this, change that to pish).

With 2miles to go, and it obviously being super slow move a few metres every 30secs pace, and knowing I was parking on a massive field and pishing may be awks, even for a man like me with exceptional talent at getting bodily waste off in packed areas, I had a problem.

On some massive roundabout, I cheesed a couple of geezers off with a little burn across and into some housing estate, and oh my word - the pure relief.

In many ways this was the real race :). Magnificent.

(ed - come on, a massively indulgent super long page, and you haven't even got to the venue, let alone described parking yet - and you need to get your aching foot into a bath poste haste)

Ahem - so, the next 2 miles were soooo much more comfortable, and unlike myself and Bus's epic 2012 trip - planned with precision to park a mile away and walk in, I was sodding that right off - I was parking right on the massive field next to the start.

I'd vaguely heard someone mention it was £3, and once I'd got over thinking, it should be free having paid £42 to do the race, I thought, that's decent value.

Driving past loads of cars parked a mile away on a main road, with ticket metres I even thought, chumps, they'll have to pay £8 to park there to allow enough time!

This smugness lasted about a mile, when only when on Southsea common, I saw the "PARKING - £10" sign.

The absolute f';;l';'. £10!?

Paid it, as you're not exactly driving off by then, but made sure the poor kid taking the money in had my opinion on it.

I swear I used to be young once.

We were parked up then. (Royal we, being only me in the car).

Getting out of the car, in this monumental sized field, I remember Homer Simpson saying "remember kids, we're in the Itchy lot", with the camera panning to 2 identical, humongous lots you'd never hope to find your car in.

I vaguely noticed I was in line with "a" hotel and "some" sort of food place. That'll do. We'll worry about that later.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good so far SG.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Parked  up then. Not to be sniffed at, after the long drive and hotel bits, but probably not in itself enough to satisfy the thread boys I think.

Have a stroll about, still got an hour to the start. Unlike 2012, I think it'll be wise to see where my section actually is more than 10mins before the start.

People are actually stood in there already. Incredible scenes.

It's quite warm I suddenly notice. It's bloody October 21st for goodness sake. A few people had been telling me it's "perfect conditions", which I'd presumed they'd meant for running, not watching and hanging on the beach.

We'll worry about that In an hour I think. I've smashed the threshold sessions, I'll go out at 5.50, and be able to at least keep that up all race....probably, I think.

The scale of this event is incredible. I've always wanted to get back at some stage, but the whole 2015 summer hijacked that. I'd not actually done a 10miler since this one in 2012 quite bizarrely. 2 in 2 weeks, then none for 6 years.

Time is suddenly wandering away. I get a 1.2mile jog in amongst people, but I have got one eye on the 10.20 pen closing time. Although this turns out to be for the "packed in like sardines" orange pen. As a privileged "fast club runner" (aka sub 60) I'm in a pen so spacious, I feel like a magnificent wildebeest roaming the Serengeti.

It's so privileged I'm diving in and out for "last" pish checks. From the last one, I wander back in with an orange bib geezer, and feel a bit sorry for him that he's turned away, and has to go to the "Other" entrance for orange :)

I recall the Reading half of somewhere between 2012-2014 where walking into the Reading half with Samir, some shimmering ape insisted I walked the long way round, while Samir with his blagged elite place (off a 1hr 20 half that makes my sub 1hr 16 one that time look exceptionally well earned) was able to walk to 100metres straight to the start.
    So 10mins later, I turned up about 20cm behind him..grrr.

So erm, anyway, start pen. Not huge numbers. But quite a few women, who with out being too rude, don't look like they should be anywhere near a "sub 60" pen. Must be sub 70 or something for the women club runners.

I clock a short old guy with a strange nose device on. There's no way in the world this guy is getting within miles of sub60 but has obvs blagged it for a freer run.

Another guy has an orange bib so I'm wondering why he's in here. Look closer, one arm, moving on!

25mins is a long time to be stuck in a pen!!!

A lot of these blooming Vaporlfy shoes around too. I pick about 5mins before the start to drill some woman wearing them. Has she found any specific time per mile benefit yet? Not really, but she's only tried them for a few training runs! £210 shoes? And you're training in them. Oh my word.

She seems amazed I'm after 58, as she's after 1hr 04! I did throw some disclaimers in about "it's easy to say what time, another thing achieving it", as it slowly dawns on me 10miles is still a long distance, and it's hot. I had I think slightly just casually thought, 10miles? Well, it's a fair bit shorter than a half marathon innit, but 5mins before the start and it's getting real.

Farrrkk, whose idea was this? I could have been pissing about in some woods with the team.

Big men are introduced. I make sure I use my lankiness and mop top to get near them. I'll deffo be in the coverage I think.

Then we're OFF.... PARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Ease off, nothing silly needed here, let's keep it sensible. What was that percentage effort Ric used to quote? Was it 75%, or was it 3.14%, or was that pie? Anyway, away we go.

The start line is absolutely rammed, this feels big time. I don't feel as superb as I felt here 6 years ago though, but it's ok.

Down a straight, round a few turns and mile 1 is up. How we looking skip?

5.45 job. That's nice. Not too much faster than the vague 5.50 aim.

Legs don't especially feel superb, but second mile is up, and it's 5.51. Ok, second miles are usually slower than the first mile, but as long as they're on track.

I think at this point, I started realising 10miles is a long one. And that I might be pushed to keep these splits going. Which when not overdoing it as far as I'd realised is a strange feeling.

Run past some serious looking military guy with a gun out. Must be some security building. Too busy trying not to look sinister to read the name. I hope he's not got butter fingers, and doesn't accidentally drill down 100s of runners.

That'd be poor.

The 3rd mile comes up, 6.04! This must be some slight undulation or something I scrabbled around thinking.

Unnecessary 5k split mat comes up - make sure I don't accidentally take the split and ruck everything up. Think I clock 18.10. That's ok. Probably.

We've gone past the Victory ship. Nice ship, as they go. Not the best viewing position racing past though.

Round a bend, the big boys are coming at us from the other direction. I see Vernon for one.

The 4mile marker is on the other side of the road, but I can read it from my direction, so I presume it must be the 4mile marker.

Take the split - 4.31. Tosspiece - it's only when you get to it on the otherside of the road innit.

1.14 for the next split, so I quickly do the maths - 5.45, that's back well on track. A confusing set of splits so far.

Made more confusing my hearing a "go on" from who I only realised was Matt Head later, who I didn't think was even doing it after all. (Ta Matt - apologies, I was already getting hot and confused by then pal!)

4miles done, and I'm already starting to beg for the miles to go by. Just get to midway I think. You're not dropping out, you've paid £42 for this for goodness sake.

Press on, and there's the 5mile marker. Take the split, 5.07.

What the absolute ruddy budgewadge is going on today I think!? :o

Have the earlier splits been underreporting my pace and I'm actually having a stormer, or is this split simply, and inexplicably short?!

It's short. The rucks.

Inevitably, this means the next mile split will come up as something ridiculously slow.

It does,  6.47! For confusing split 7, for mile 6.

This sh!!t is all over the place today, I literally have no idea what's going on.

What I do know, is that 10k split came up at 36.30, which I think isn't too bad, and for a standalone 10k, perhaps a min faster wouldn't be out of the question.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

4miles to go though I think. Even at 6min miling, that's a 24min shift.
    Just need to break it up into 2miles in one direction, then a 2mile run in to the finish.

I don't feel like I'm running that fast, the legs aren't particularly knackered, they just are happy to work at the level they are today.
    Pass the front runners in the women's field coming the other way. I see Steele, who I think might have come 3rd. A few other skinny lankpots too.

5.56 for mile 7. Just see it to mile 8 I think. Quite a bit of a crowd somewhere round here, but obvs as it's the run in to the finish back the other way.

5.58 for mile 8. Hard work now. Every water station has been plundered and poured all over my monkey face. When I question now was it actually hot, I realise, yep it sure was, as 10miles-half I wouldn't even touch a drink in normal conditions, let alone be bathing in it!

We're onto the run in. 2miles, that aint much right? Wrong, it feels, well, much!

Even without the gale myself and Bus found in 2012, and just a bit of a breeze it's no comfort. I think I'd much prefer the 2012 overall conditions with gale for 1/2mile, then today!

6.04 for mile 9. I've promised myself we're at least rescuing sub 60 at worst earlier, but I must admit by now I have started to battle with thoughts of, just get home, however trudge slow it is.

The last mile, thank goodness.

I think the best description of how I was feeling, is that I was begging for the 800m, 400m and 200m to go signs to come, but it was only when I checked the watch later, that I'd physically beeped the button to take the 800 and 400 ones as splits! That was how desperate I was, I don't remember doing it, which is worrying.

So 3.11 for 9.5mile split,  1.27 for the next 400m, then 1.31 for the last bit.

I had a little bit of a wobble near the end, almost stumbling into a fence, but just about kept it sensible.

My old wortk mate from school gave me a good shout, which I just about registered and job done

Over the line, for a  nicely rounded 59:30, and a very keen eye from the first aider, who could see I was a leetle wandery, sorted with a 3-4min sit down, a 2-3min lie down and eventually rucking off out of there.

Strangely then wandered off, thinking, my legs barely tell me they've run today, but I'll have my free massage anyway!

It seemed a massive walk to find the place, I could have sworn it was right next door last time.

Anyway, quite a small queue, as despite my perception that everyone in the field had come past in the last 3-4miles, it was undoubtably a finishing position still well in the 100-150mixer out of 20,000, so makes sense I've got to the massage quite high up.

Quality system, where apparently you could "register" for a massage, or you can just walk up. Those who "registered" or just claimed they did wandering in ahead of us. But it was ok.

One of the masseurs was from Slough, so knew the Dashers, small world.

Massuer I had at least found some tightness in the muscle to suggest I had vaguely worked hard, and job done.

20mins to find where the car was, and fail to arrange a meet up with my old pal, and a lot of waters and a 1hr 30 drive home.

All in all, a strange experience. I've worked threshold zone very intensely for 2months, so 5.50 should have been a sustainable pace, which would have been a 58.20. Johnas was talking sub 58, and if it went really well, low down the 57s.

Maybe we just need to look at the heat. It felt tough to me, but i'm no hero when it's warm. I suspect also after 2015 that my body puts a block in place to prevent any heroics/silliness.

Matt - you agreed it was tough on strava  - I'm glad to have another take from yourself (and another I spoke to after) to know it wasn't just me letting it go too easily.

Counterbalances the "perfect conditions" the commentator mentioned. I would have thought no heat, and ideally a bit cold is perfect in my book.

So was it just the heat, or did I let the stressiness eat into my last week, stay over etc? Was it one of those ever so slight imperceptible under the weather effects? Or lack of longer runs (12 being the longest for 6-7 weeks)

Or maybe this happens when you do a race with 26 events, and only 1 is above 5.5miles.

Either way i'm glad the training experiment is done, and this fantastic event is notched up, and finally another 10M on PO10.

Going forward, I think I'm certainly more comfortable with higher mileage. 50 felt too little. And the doubles, whether they help the racing or not are a key part of my break up the working day routine.

So I think i'll take some notice and use some of the threshold sessions, but will feel happier re-applying the midweek 10, and the longer than 12 long run, plus doubles in. Probably 2 sessions a week is plenty - as long as one is a decent threshold.

So sorry for the long report versus output, but have to take the enjoyment where you can find it!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ps without doubt this once and for all killed any even slight ideas about marathons :)
    I've experienced slogs or worse at 10m and hm now getting a hot day or not feeling great with 10-15miles left would be horrfic
  • Sorry to not catch you in the pen SG - between the two of us wandering in and out, must have missed each other!

So, despite my previous thoughts of not running the race at all given my calf issues, I seemed to have salvaged some kind of performance with putting in some miles on the turbo to relieve the impact factor. (Reg - wonder if I could pick your brain about effectively integrating cycling miles? I think the lack of cycling this year vs previous years isn't helping.) So, realised the hotel reservation I had made in Southampton (the old haunt) was non-refundable and so at the least was coming up anyway (the missus had a tough half term, so deserved the break away), and could at the least jog round the course, having not run since Monday. May have overdone the alcohol intake this weekend, given I had no real race targets and meeting up with old friends.

We get to Southsea Common at 08:30 (!), having left Southampton just after 07:30 - realising the night before that the event Park & Ride wasn't operating, and the normal Park & Ride didn't start until 9am. So we had two hours to kill by visiting numerous portaloos and wandering the front.

Time passes quite quickly and then I'm stood in the pen with about 10mins to go (skipped their BS warm up regime) - definitely don't deserve to be their, as I am no way going to match my sub-60 aspirations, but there's no way I'm heading into the depths of the Orange Wave.

Like that, we're off - I tell myself it's my own race, not to chase anyone, or worry about how it goes. Best part is that I have no calf/front of shin/ankle ache like I felt previously! Take a look at the first mile, mid-6:30s... Far too fast! I soon adjust my race aims to a fast 5k and cruise for the remainder. 5k comes through in 20mins on my watch, but the mat says 20:23 (some markers were pretty out). That'll do for a strong effort, and I'm definitely feeling it - it's a confidence boost in itself knowing I still have sub-20 speed given my setbacks. 
    Heading out towards mile 4 and I start to drop the pace back, and I notice SG on the other side, looking strong and in a small pack - I shout him some encouragement! This out and back seems to last forever. Hit 5 miles (a better place for a split than 5k) around 33-34mins, and my legs are starting to trudge and the heat of the sun is beating down - ideal conditions for spectating, not running. Would have been better if slightly overcast. I'm now waiting for mile signs now, a case of keeping the legs turning and my "cruise" speed is now just north of 7min/mi - not too bad. 10k comes through in ~42:30, and fairly happy with that.
    We're now heading into the sun, and boy is it getting warm - emptying the near entirety of each bottle of water I grab over my head! I tell myself it's only 2mi out and 2mi back as I see some of the elite women and fast men heading in. I now feel like I'm wading through treacle, perhaps my fast 5k was a bad idea. I'm heading backwards with regards to everyone else, but I don't care, keep moving. I even think to stop and walk but keep going. "Cruise" is now about ~7:30-40. 
    We then turn and the sun is on the back, not so bad! But my calf is starting to ache, the soleus not what I had previously. Number 1 aim was to not ruin myself - should I walk a section and stretch? I keep going, it's only mild and probably indicative of fatigue. Mile 9 comes round and I can't wait for the signs every track lap (my way of making it seem short) - try to pick the pace up, much like every one else. Some guy next to me pulls up nearly causing carnage and shouts about his 'f...ing calf'. 400m to go, just keep going, no heroics. I see the gantry and cross, not having checked the watch for the mile. HR still high, despite knocking pace way back!

Over the line in 1:11:08 - nothing spectacular, but I'm in one piece. First time I've ever experienced post-race cramping, hard to stretch the hammies and quads when they want to contract!
    I'm happy with the result, it's a SB for the 10mi, a decent opening 5km, and a bucket load of suffering to boot!
    I've already decided I'll be back next year, and sub-60 will be mine. Just to get some consistency and not rush the training!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Nice one matt, always enjoyable reading another report from a race you've done.

Good to see i wasn't imagining the conditions either and your latter miles mirror my slog in too! That quarter of a mile plead near the end! I think the way you eased off and still found it hot is a good guide.

Such a shame we didn't clock each other in the actual pen! That'd have eaten up some of that massive wait! 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good effort all the same SG. The conditions may have played quite a part in the result.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta Ric.

One guy who was loving the conditions was this African fella on the massage table next to me. Said last year it was cold and he was in the 55s. This year 54s. Which he said something about being a course record. I can only imagine he meant from the masses, as just today the winner did 46s, let alone the actual record there

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    When I ran GSR a couple of years ago,  it was long Stevie. I thought I was cruising to sub 60 with average pace sub 6, then ended up adding another 20-30 seconds on. So that's a very decent run in the heat.

Well done on digging it out Matt, though hope the niggles don't worsen.

My '5k' went well. 3.5m warm up in a t-shirt rather than a vest left me feeling rather warm. Completely underestimated the temperature ! Race kicked off at 11.30 am so it was only getting toastier. I managed my fastest pace historically over the undulating course finishing around 16.26 (edit: 16.24 chip). The course was short though by around 0.1m, so I can't claim a massive pb, so I will have to find a flattish course, wear a vest and go for it. Of note was that I was beaten by several young chaps dressed as Mario Karts characters. Yes, it was that kind of race.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Wow, for a second I thought 16.26! But yeah I suppose a 0.1m at 5.30 pace could be 33secs, but still very tidy pro rata job!

The beauty of 5ks is even if it's warm you don't give the conditions too much chance to bring you down like with other races.

I wonder how I ever did those hilly hot summer half marathons way less fit in the old days. Maybe simply due to the fact back then the pace was any old iron, and so much slower!

My Gosport pal found today "Not too bad", but then she's done a marathon recently, and doesn't take it as seriously as us lot, so chances are she wasn't exactly at on the nose effort level. So I can imagine that would be alright!

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    After a marathon Stevie, everything is alright, not too bad, no hardship whatsoever stuff. You should do one ;)

StevieWh will be along soon to encourage you :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    After today muddy i was caught half way between just limiting to 5ks or just quitting racing  :D:D

Final result is 59.31 and 78th out of 15,800. 
    I looked at the women's elite race. 14 runners but 9 of them slower than me. Last place 1hr 8!

Surely better to run in the main race rather than have a miserable solo job?
    But no doubt political and links to funding or other such stuff
  • It was similar at the Great Run Birmingham last week Stevie. I was just ahead of first lady, Nicola, that Simon referenced above, who was wearing an elite bib. 

I don't think they are the genuine elite's (as in top world and national athletes) that they used to get into these runs. I think something has changed in the prize structure (or maybe ethos) to bring in the top local runners as the 'elite' field.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it's a very loose term at times. Men at least had thompson and vernon. Also a couple of other decent sounding pedigree foreign ones..and the women had eilish mccolgan, twell and another couple.
  • Great reports SG & Matt, well toughed out!

SG - As well as the weather, do you think the 5xmile 5 days before the race may have deadened your legs slightly? Don't discount the marathon, lots more comfortable then the shorter races! :D

Fantastic day at Abingdon Marathon for me yesterday. Report below
  • Won't let me post it again! Will try again later 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
     :D  StevieW, but from a sniff around elsewhere, sounds like a great day for you, congrats.

In my overanalysis above, that session was one thing I didn't actually factor in. Don't think that affected it, I've always done a light session on the Tuesday of a long race week, say a 3x1mile for a HM. Perhaps the 5x1mile is slightly more, but don't think that had an impact. It was actually planned for the Wed, I only did it the Tue due to an MOT then, and not having the car.

Probbo a mix of the weather affecting me, lack of longer distances races after a massive short distance focus for months this year, and perhaps lack of longer long runs, maybe. Will move on, and hope to get the other benefit going forward into other stuff :)
  • Abingdon Marathon:

Entered Abingdon as my 2nd marathon as it looked like a flat fast course with hopefully some good runners to run with. After injuring myself at Stratford Half I had 3 weeks off at the end of May/June to let everything settle down. During this time I started thinking about the Abingdon training and looking at coaching. Came across Lewis Moses  at New Levels Coaching. Had a really good chat with him and realised that our training theorys matched and we would probably work well together. Wasn't 100% sure on paying for training though but then very generously my girlfriend and her parents offered pay for the Abingdon block for my birthday.

Started working with Lewis 16 weeks out from Abingdon. The training was definitely different from what I had done before and the 'normal' marathon training plans. Focus was on long intervals at 10k pace with high volumes eg 12 x 1k and 7 x 1mile and also long tempo runs. Long runs were generally around 16 miles with only 1 20m run with MP and a 22m 2 weeks before the race. Training definitely paid off as a PB'd in all distances: 5k - 18.09, 10k - 37.44 and HM - 1.22.50. The HM giving me the confidence to go for Sub 3 at Abingdon.

So race day. Arrived at the track at around 8.20 and immediately got in the huge queue for the portaloos, this is the only complaint I'd have about the event as this took forever. Finally got out onto the track at around 8.40 and ran a quick 800m warm up followed by some stretches. Put my gels into my running belt and then lined up at the start.

Before I even had chance to get nervous we were off! As soon as I started running my belt was bouncing up and down and not very comfortable! Knew I wouldn't be able to run the whole marathon with it like this so I had to try and sort it. Took the belt off and attempted to tighten it while running, this is when I spotted Lorenzo. After managing to loosen it I finally managed to tighten it up and put it back on, wished Lorenzo good luck and pushed on to my target pace. To make matters worse a gel then dropped out of my belt, luckily a runner behind me handed it to me. This happened again about half a mile later, teach me for buying cheap stuff from Sports Direct!

The plan set with Lewis before hand was to run at 6.45-6.50 pace for the first 5k and then it was up to me. Also the goal was to ensure I posted a negative split. In my mind my MP was around 6.40 so I was happy with this. First mile came up in 7.00, 2nd was slightly down hill so was 6.40. It was around here that I spotted SJ from the sub 3 thread. Introduced myself and realised we were running similar paces. We could also see Jooligan a bit further ahead so made sure we kept him in sight. Next few miles all came in at around 6.45-6.50 which felt comfortable, decided to be cautious and stick at this pace with a while. Also having SJ to run with meant the time was flying by.

We caught up with Jooligan at around 11miles and then we had a group of around 5/6 of us. Came through half way at 1.29.05 which I was happy with as I was feeling good and was confident I would make some time up. Jooligan dropped off at the next water station so our group thinned down slightly. The groups in front us were starting to slow so we were passing runners. When we got to the 16m marker I decided to push on slightly but still keep things in control. Wished SJ good luck and pressed on.

Pushed my pace down to 6.35-6.40 which felt OK and started working my way through the field. Passed the 18m marker which was where my legs started struggling at London, was quite amazed that I felt good still. Reached 20m at 2.15 so I knew I needed a 40min 10k to hit my dream goal of a 2.55. Pushed the pace on slightly again and just concentrated on picking vests and passing them. Was still feeling good and was waiting for something to go wrong!

The hill in mile 25 felt like it went on forever and at this point I was completely on my own with just some runners in the distance to focus on. Once I'd got over that It was just a case of trying to catch and pass as many runners as I could. Mile 26 was my fastest mile - 6.26 which I am amazed at! Came onto the Athletics track for the final lap, heard my family shout at me from the finish line which gave me a big boost. Launched a big sprint finish from around 150m out, passed a few more runners and threw my arms in the air. I'd gone sub 3!! Average of 5.04 for the final 0.2. Official time of 2.55.48 so a 1.29.05/1.26.43 split. A 26.51 PB from London

I can't stop grinning, over the moon that I managed to execute the pacing plan and also go sub 3 in my 2nd marathon. Definitely need to even my splits out for future marathons but I'm not complaining
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wow SW, that sounds an incredibly easy and comfy experience, and suggests you've got plenty more in you going forward!

Amazed to hear only 2 20 or more mile runs, and as I'm sure I said when you first mentioned it, 7x1mile at 10k pace is a big session!  Certainly looks to have worked for you, but you're definitely on the up. In 2 years time when you've absolutely drilled your 10k time, it might be more of a smashfest,but confidence definitely adds a % to a runner's game! Well done.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    On the training-front-aftermath SG. A possible reason you didn't run faster.

From what you've written about your training, I note there's hardly anything much faster than the pace you raced at. And quite a lot which is slower but not much slower.

Training slower than race pace to race faster. Does that work?

Good work on the marathon St,Wh. Sub three, and negative splits as well. Must have been fun overtaking others in the last five miles.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yep ric. That could be one element. Although there were huge amounts at 5.50 pace with a couple of continuous tempos at 6ish the faster work was less prevalent. In one way i couldn't be more trained to run 5.50 but averaged 5.57 in the end, slower than for a half in feb which was cool conditions.

There were frequent 200s and some 5.26 paced work but mostly it was threshold. The 200s were designed to put pace in after threshold stuff but came out 36 whereas in a stand alone 200sesh id be after 33-34s for way more reps.

So potentially lacking on mileage, length of long run and focused shorter stuff. Not that i didn't enjoy trying something new, but long term i knew i need more miles and the saturday hard session having done jack on a friday just didn't sit well.

Will soon get back on a more and traditional path for me of 60-65mile weeks one mp/threshold sesh that progressively builds over weeks and one session of reps faster or at least at the intended pace for a 10k or down race.
    Get that long run in the 14-16mixer.
    Chatted to another local coach and he recommended throwing some hill sprints in every so often

Easy next two days off work.off to united v juventus. So about 5miles running over two days to see sunday off.
    Then we'll get cracking.
    What worked well before wokey was 15milers on the thur and xc race on. the sunday
  • Ric: I agree with you re the pace of reps issue and said as much to SG when we met up at the end of August after the Podium 5k. SG had run the first k in around 3:12/15, I believe, yet km reps in training were never faster than 3:20. I would contend that to be comfortable running 3:12/3:15 kms, reps in training would need to be much closer to 3 minutes; if one is going to run 5:45 per miles in a 10k to 10 mile race then I would think that reps need to be in the 5:30 sort of region. I look forward to people's thoughts!

And SWh: what Ric said!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    SWh - that is just such a brilliant performance. I’m thrilled for you, pulling off such perfect execution in a marathon is not at all easy.

I’ve seen some really good from results from Abo these last few days. I guess the weather was perfect for fast marathoning but you’ve still got to do it. And for every happy tale of mara day there are probably 2 tales of woe. It could have been different though - try your bloody kit out before you use it next time!!

Good 10k there too Pete. Pleased to see you get a good one in having been a bit frustrated with some of your results of late. 

Sorry it didn’t work out for you SG. To me your training looked hard. Not sure you need to add in extra miles with all those sessions. I’d agree that all those ovals at 5:50 pace and below ought to have made that pace seem straightforward on the day.

I do think you should do a marathon though - perhaps somewhere overseas, just think about the airport parking banter 😀!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    SG, I didn't want to bore on with suggestions, but I've had ideas which worked for me.

The base you have built is pretty impressive, and that is a huge advantage for a start.

Those ideas transformed a rather lethargic 36:30 10k to a 34:50 in the space of three weeks.

Just four sessions repeated over and over again. I didn't do variety for entertainment reasons. I wanted a direct comparison week to week. 

Hills 5 x 2 minutes recovery 3 minutes (get back down time)

30 x 200m (my fastest ever set when running sub 34 minutes for 10K was 36.5 seconds average) one per minute of course. You should be doing 38's. Those 33 & 34's are the final test speed. If you can't do them at the end of the session, you've been pushing too hard (It's speed endurance really)

5 x 1000m off six minute recovery (3:06 my best when sub 34) (No way was I going any further at this pace. I needed all that time to recover)

5 x 600m off four minute recovery (1:46 my best set as above)

Easy couple of miles am. No tempo threshold running.

Long run of up to 2 hours - pace not pushing it.

🙂

• Missed your 10k without a parkrun Pete, congratulations on the returning form.

StevieWh - That’s brilliant to not suffer the dreaded marathon fade. I will echo the other Stevie when I say there is lots more to come. You mention the coaching in the past 16 weeks - what were you doing before that ? Was the marathon before a bit of a disaster ? I notice you ran to pretty much constant heart rate - was that by design ? Where does heart rate monitoring come into your training (if at all) ?

I don’t think that the GSR time merits that much of a training inquest really Stevie. The 5.50 threshold pace was a guess based on a training block that had biased you towards shorter distances. It was executed in training under track conditions; then on the day it was a bit warmer than usual, on a long course. Knock off 30s for the course length and account for heat, and you’re looking at 58.30 which really isn’t far off the pace guess. For what it’s worth I think you’ve done plenty of fast paced stuff; far more than I would ever do and probably more than I’ve done all year.

Interesting that you see it as lack of something in the training too, but not as an excess of something. My feeling as stated earlier in the thread is that threshold sessions are a bit of a cliff edge - rather easy to do too much and put yourself in debt. I suspect Johnas knew this and why he advised the full day in between runs. If you are dancing along that cliff edge 3x a week, it just feels riskier to me that you stand a chance of one of those sessions knocking you back a bit.

My mate that was prescribed all the threshold work for the Abingdon marathon didn’t have a good race - ended up with back pain and niggles during taper. He had a pace target, stuck to it, developed cramp and had a stop start last 8 miles.
  • Muddy - My previous Marathon was London this year. I wouldn't call it s disaster. I was allocated pen 4 which was a nightmare, overtook 13000 runners according to the stats. Was aiming for 3.15 and was a minute down at halfway. Just couldn't settle into a rythym with all the traffic. Was further down at 18miles and decided to back off as it was so hot. Came in at 3.22

Training wise, I'd created my own plan based on a few I'd seen online. Basically started with 3 runs a week: Long run, tempo and hills/intervals. As this was the first time I'd trained consistently I stuck to that for January then added another run in from Feb .Just an easy one.

The constant HR wasn't by design! I wasn't wearing my HR strap so it was just wrist based which isn't always accurate. Just judged it on feel mainly. I do try and run to HR on my easy/recovery runs to make sure I don't overdo them but that's about it.

Was definitely fun gliding past people in the final 10k feeling good. I'd like my splits to be a bit closer but that will come with practice
  • Stevie G said:

Was it 75%, or was it 3.14%, or was that pie?

I won't allow that. It is pi!

I think the key to this running thing is periodisation. If you look at Chris Thompson who won the GSR, his target is the New York marathon so the GSR was just in the bag of races he was doing at the end of one period of training and that includes a 62 minute half at the end of September, GSR towards the end of October and NYC marathon start of November.

You have raced reasonably frequently over the summer but nothing over 5k. Last time you raced over 5k was Marlow 5 in May. It would have been far better to plan a series of races over 6 to 8 weeks (maybe including a few of the early season fast XCs on grass) with some sort of targetted race but also a backup plan so if you get a hot or windy race you have something to rescue the period. I guess £42 entry fee and £10 parking plus petrol and hotel does discourage a full basket of races but a few years ago you raced Cabbage Patch and GSR on consecutive weekends and it worked out.

StevieWh great sub-3 there, well done! Massive negative split. Is the plan to do the same again in the future?

My feeling about negative splits is that they are the right thing to do when you really know exactly what you are doing. The basic idea is that the body protects itself from damage and that is what a big part of tiredness is. As you get closer to the end of a race, the protection mechanism relaxes a bit so you can go for that final push. An elite athlete will be able to judge a point just under that cut-off threshold for the majority of the race and then inject that last push (so e.g. Kipchoge did 61:06 and 60:33 for his world record, definitely a negative split but only marginal). For us mortals, the issue is if we can judge that turning point correctly. It is not a cliff so you can go a bit over and still have a reasonably even race (so e.g. my London 2012 was 1:24:15 and 1:26:13 for a total of 2:50:28). Sure, I'd have loved to run 1:26 and short 1:24 for 2.49.xx but there is no way I'd have been brave enough to go through halfway in 1:26.