My Last Run

Comments

• Rob - yeah - they send mags out to some people. Congratulations if you got in, Commiserations if you didn't. Haven't looked at it yet. I guess it's random whether you get one or not as this is the first year I've had one.
    JT, hope you brushed your teeth!
  • Cal - Sounds like you may have got in?
  • No, Commiserations are for us unlucky ones. Doesn't matter as I'm down to do Vienna anyway so I'd have had to defer.
    Got out for a 2 mile recovery run today. I can feel my tight left calf but it's not nearly as awful as it was early in the week, when I couldn't walk without limping. Very warm out there for October, but also windy. One of the last chances I'll have to wear a vest and shorts this year, I reckon.
  • Sound advice from Cal for you Will.  Your goals seem realistic for a first mara and based on your HM time.  Enjoy your kitten. 

Well done on your Bournemouth result Rob.  I simply looked up Rob + Frost and didn't get a match so I assumed you are actually called something else in real life..   Many marathons do have trackers these days, though not all.  I think the best solution is where the runner can decide if they want to be tracked or not.

I didn't try the (overseas) London ballot this year.  I would get in on GFA but that is only open to UK residents.  Not sure I would enjoy the noise levels and sheer number of runners anyway - Berlin was enough for me.

Hope you are ok JT. 

How are the legs Cal?

My last runs:  standard 6 mile group outing on Tuesday - swifter than normal so I felt my legs on yesterday's 4 and a bit recovery.  I saw a beautifully coloured kingfisher along the brook.  Only the third time I have ever seen one I think.

I've got a new watch in the meantime - had intended to check out various makes and models but have abandoned thoughts of that and gone for a TomTom runner again as I am familiar with how to set them up and using them on a run.  I also had a voucher to spend at the shop and they were only selling Garmin or TomTom.  Seems to work fine.  This one has a built in HRM so I have more data to look at now.
  • Oh I missed the bit about the kitten...Will you absolutely must post a photo. BTW are you sure it's innocent? I knew what tits were when I was very, very young!
    How lovely to see a kingfisher, Hazel. And congrats on the new watch. I've just ordered myself some new flyknit Zoom Flys. Expensive but after that PB, I deserve a treat! Legs are OK - it's really only the calves that are tight, mostly the left one. I was shuffling around like a geriatric on Monday and Tuesday but I can walk normally now. I feel it when I run but I'm sure it'll pass soon enough, provided I don't do anything stupid like running fast. (I'm volunteering at parkrun on Saturday to remove that temptation!)
  • Good to see you JT. I rescued a harlequin from some 'orrible Year 9s today.

An all round shit day at school, so decided to have a wee trot and recce some possible new routes ahead of my big training plan. Found a much shorter than expected way to get onto the disused railway line/trail which will be ace for long long runs. Felt knackered mentally so just 3+ miles, which did the job. Will try for a slower LSR pace tomorrow as am having a day off. Sod this full time work nonsense!
    Cal, I'm looking forward to welcoming Titsy into our home on Saturday. My boy truly couldn't see why we tried to discourage the name. Afte a lot of tears and much debate Titsy it is. My mum's even crocheted a blanket for it, with the name embroidered on it!
    Happy running all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Oh yes - kitten picture please Will .. :smile:   A disused railway line must be ideal for running (flat!). 

Good idea to treat yourself after your PB Cal.  Out of interest how many pairs of shoes do you go through a year approx?  I've just paid out for my 3rd pair this year already..  (should be on about 3k km by the end of the year).  Good to hear you are walking properly again - and I would agree on keeping off the fast running for a few days yet.

I did my first bit of speedwork post mara yesterday which gave my legs and in particular my lungs a bit of a shock.  2 miles WU with my standard 2 x a few drills and a stride, then 2 x 2 miles @LT pace with 3 mins jog recoveries followed by 2 miles CD.   In view of my recent improved 10k and mara PBs I've adjusted my LT pace by a few seconds and wanted to test that - felt very hard and I couldn't hit it on the second phase.  I normally get through LT runs without too much of a problem but splitting it into 2 intervalls almost felt harder than hanging on in one block.  Might fiddle with the pace a bit.  Gentle 10 miler planned later and maybe a race on Sunday.
  • I am varying my shoes a lot more now, Hazelnut, so it's more than last year. Started this year in Nike Free Motions - chucked that pair after Hampton Court half in February as they had over 700 miles on them (and were filthy).
    Around the same time I got the Zoom Flys which I started using for parkruns and shorter races (I wore them in the Big Half and they hurt the balls of my feet, but either my feet or the shoes weren't broken in as I wore them for Maidenhead half and then Chester with no issues). They only have around 220 miles on them so they can last a bit longer but I'm not sure they'll go to 500 miles. I'll be using the new pair for racing but this pair will be fine for parkruns and speed work for a while yet.
    The next pair of Free Motions got a lot of wear early in the year - two marathons and all the training I did after Hampton Court - but after Liverpool my achilles got grumpy so I switched to the Epic React which I bought for myself in June (the Frees have a 4mm drop and the Epics have a 10mm drop). They both have over 400 miles on them but the Epics have been my main workhorse over the summer. I still have three pairs of Frees in boxes in the cupboard (I stockpiled the 2017 version as I didn't like the redesign) so I'll probably go back to them eventually but for now, the Epics and Zoom Flys are the shoes I use the most. I guess I'll need to replace the Epics soon but they're supposed to last 600 miles so we'll see.

Anyway, got a windy 4 miler done today. Calves are still grumpy but the rest of me is in reasonable shape and my cadence and stride length are back to normal.

Will, don't envy you a full-time teaching job. Work is...hard work!
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hazelnut,  showing my inexperience again, but what is LT pace? All these terms confuse me :) 

I'm going to be thinking more about shoes when I start my mara training. I'll probably stay with my trusty Sauconys but think I should have a couple of pairs on rotation? Good idea? I like my current ones. They're are a bit less bulky/cushioned than my previous ones and that seems to work. I feel them less, if that makes sense. Maybe with my extra mara miles I'll need to rethink shoes? So much confusion! 

Cal, I'm back doing supply teaching, but am on a long term stint at the moment , which is a bit too much like a proper job for me. Extra stuff seems to head my way, whereas I like normal supply as I just get in, do it, and get out and home. Luckily,  childcare issues meant I had to have a day off today :)

After doing the school run I headed out and successfully found the short cut to the 30+ mile trail that goes from the city centre here out into the bootiful countryside.  Can't believe I haven't found it before. It's likely to be my mainstay for any of my 8 mile plus mara training , which is great. After a couple of miles of city paving and the initial paved track, I got onto the lovely flat trail and headed along the river. Hawthorns dripping with red berries, as were the Wild roses with their hips. A flock of my first Redwings of the autumn trilled over head and a Green Woodpecker yaffle. Skylarks were playing around over the fields and a magic 'peep' showed me where to look for the high speed Kingfisher that zoomed along the river (nice aren't they, Hazelnut !) A few shrivelled up toads need dodging but I managed to stick to my aimed for new LSR pace, all my miles being between 10:10 and 10:30 a minute. 9 miles done and my knee still feeling fine. A week to go till my Forest Half. Oh, and here's Titsy!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Oh bless! <3
    LT is lieutenant training - Hazelnut is joining the army. No, seriously, it's lactate threshold training, so running around 15K - HM race pace for most people.
  • Very cute! Thanks Will!  Cal has summed it up nicely regarding LT.  Sorry should have written it out.  Certainly a hard work pace.  Regarding shoes one thing you could do is get a second pair of the same ones you like now. After a couple of hundred miles already the new ones are likely to feel much bouncier.  Also gives a soaked pair longer to dry out.  Nice wildife spotting btw!  And good work if you found your LSR pace.

Apropos shoes - impressive list Cal. I like the idea of stockpiling a good shoe.  The popular brands update often and not always for the best.  I currently run in Brooks Launch 4 for standard stuff and maras, New Balance 1500 v4 for speedwork and races up to HM and La Sportiva Bushidos for tougher offroading.  Good to read you are back out again.

I have postponed a longer run until Sunday, just a 4 mile recovery at sunset.  Lovely it was too.
  • Find the best new release Nike Lebron James 16 Basketball Shoes at lebronjames16.com, We also offer NBA Lebron James 15 shoes,Hot Sale Nike KD 11,Nike Kyrie 4,Off-White x Nike,Free Shipping and High Quality
  • Why the feck would we want basketball shoes, you arse - we're runners. Offer us some discount Vaporflys and you might get a few takers. (Fecking spammers).

Crap run today. It's not that I didn't enjoy it. I didn't mind the rain and I was totally up for doing 6 miles but my body just wasn't really up to it. Calves were niggly and I was slower than Friday though it felt like more effort, so I decided to stick with 4 miles. Not sure why I feel worse today than Friday, as I've had another two days to recover from the marathon, but I guess recovery isn't necessarily linear.
  • Good shout, Hazelnut -  think I will get another pair of my current Sauconys as I really like them. They're on about 250 miles so still quite a bit left in them but a rotation pair would be good. They got a soaking tonight!

I was timekeeper down at Junior Parkrun this morning, which I really enjoyed (once my stopwatch finger had settled down and stopped nervously twitching!) I couldn't tempt any of the clan away from the kitten so jogged to and from the park for 3 miles. First finisher was in 6:24 - blimmin' fast kids!

After a rainy day spent playing with Titsy I popped out in the drizzle this evening for 4 miles, 2 of which were at what I call LT :) Nice to be running in the rain and it cleared my head a bit from the slightly dark cloud that has been in attendance the last few days, even with a very cute new kitten to amuse me.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Take it easy regarding recovery Cal.  Good rant at the spammers...

I love the kid's races Will.  Hope that cloud clears off soon.

10 miles on Sunday for me: took it easyish on the flats and downs on an undulating route and worked harder on the ups (varying lengths and gradients).  Quite a tough workout.  Still ridiculously warm and sunny here but I mostly ran in the woods where it was cool.  The leaves are starting to fall now but are not yet deep enough to have a good shuffle.  Rest day yesterday and a chaotic work day.  Out later with the Tuesday group.  I've signed up for a local low key 6 and a half mile race on Sunday I haven't done in the past so I have something to look forward to.  Not sure how the legs are speedwise at the moment but I will do my best.
  • I always end up with a sore finger if I'm timekeeping, Will, though both my  local parkruns attract over 500 runners routinely. That's a lot of clicks.
    Kids can be depressingly fast. But they can't run a marathon, so there's that.
    Not too many leaves down here either, Hazel, but there are some nice colours. I think the long, hot summer and warmer than usual autumn has delayed the fall a bit.
    6 miles done today, a little quicker than easy pace which was mostly down to me wearing my Zoom Flys rather than my Epics (the Flys are a bit easier on my calves). This was the old (200 mile) pair not the new pair. A lot of Tooting Common is dirt path and I'm not ready to get my new shoes filthy just yet. I'll be saving them for racing, mostly.
    I'm still a bit niggly but nowhere as bad as on Sunday. I should probably get a massage but it's rather pricey and I've already spent my non-bill and food money this month on shoes. Oh well.
  • Cannot bloody wait for the end of term tomorrow! 4 easy but progressive miles tonight, nice and chilled. Legs and knee feeling good. Rest, stretch and roll now before my Half on Saturday, then off to Mull with my mate for wild camping and eagle spotting.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • But if you spent the money on running shoes then that is ok Cal..  :D   This year I think I have purchased more pairs of running and other sport shoes than everyday ones.  I hate buying the later and I fortunately don't need too many.

Sounds like a plan Will. 

Standard Tuesday outing to report from yesterday evening but as in the last couple of weeks our sprightly 65 year old forced the pace so it was pretty hard work considering the long hills in the second half.  6 and a bit in just over 56 minutes.

Additionally a 5 and a half (ish) recovery this lunchtime. 
  • Good luck for your half tomorrow Will!

10 and a half miles for me yesterday lunchtime - ambled the undulating bits and ran the flats faster, progressing up to mara pace, about half of each.  Tired afterwards.  Breezy day but still warm and sunny.  Day off today then a short recovery tomorrow and race on Sunday. 
  • Thanks, Hazelnut :) Am enjoying a bit of mid-range carb-loading. I've also baked a 'recovered' fruit cake for after the race. It's from The Runner's Cookbook by Anita Bean - an excellent book with some very nice recipes so far. That's a good not-so-little lunchtime run Hazelnut. Good luck for Sunday !
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Good luck Will!
    I took a couple of days off from running (partly achilles, partly feeling slightly run-down, probably as a result of the marathon) although I did pilates and yoga. But felt better today so did another 6 miles in the glorious Autumn sunshine. I don't think that'll last, by the way, so may as well get out there while we can.
  • Wormwood Scrubs parkrun today (I'm working my way around London steadily - thought I'd better get to it before winter as it's all grass, and parts of it already have a bit of mud). Lovely day, crisp and bright, but the wet grass and my Zoom Flys did not get along - they had little purchase and quickly soaked through. Still, I managed to do 26:22 which is OK for a tricky run and only two weeks after Chester and, I also add, being woken up several times during the night by the drunk twit downstairs who had locked himself out and then proceeded to bang on his flat's door despite no one being home. Grr.
    The Scrubs seems to attract a lot of vets so I was only third V50 despite being 8th lady (it's a small field, though - 109 runners).
  • Well that was a strange race. This morning I felt really good physically and even thought about pushing for a sub-2. It was an absolutely beautiful morning out in Breckland, gorgeous sun and autumn colours. My legs, however, had other ideas. They just didn't respond and I felt like I was running as a complete beginner. It was clear after about 2 miles that I just didn't have my race legs on. The long, gradual climb through the heath was really tough and I struggled all the way round. My splits were all over the shop and, despite trying to check my form, there was just no va va voom. I enjoyed the lovely scenery, but my time was by far my slowest all year. The course had been measured at 13.4 mi, but my garmin said 12.9 - another strange twist to my 2:09 time. Still, I finished.

Here's the rub, and an interesting thing I have taken away from this race. I have been feeling very low with my depression for the last week or so. Insomnia and some very dark moods. It's been quite an acute shot of the old black dog. Usually it's more of a gradual affair. Despite a good physical preparation and 2 good nights' sleep, my body just wouldn't work today. I see a definite link between the mental and the physical here. My legs responded just as my brain and mind have all week - shitly.

Anyway, hopefully the endorphins will kick in and I did love the race. Here's proof!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • You're not wrong about the mental/physical link, Will. I'm glad you did at least enjoy it (the weather is beautiful today!) and hope it will give you a bit of a boost.
  • Thanks, Cal :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Gorgeous, fresh sunny day here. Ran 9 miles. Probably went a bit too fast as I felt quite tired towards the end - one of the hazards of starting my run when I'm feeling a bit chilly is that I go faster to compensate. Not ideal when I'm trying to recover from a marathon! Oh well!
  • Thanks Will, I'm back from holiday now but I did manage one more run while I was away and had a steady plod around the course of the Singapore Grand Prix. I had a slow five miler back here in Portsmouth on Wednesday just to keep things ticking over for today's Great South Run. It's the fourth time I've done GSR and conditions were good for a pb, I was just about on target at halfway but I then fell away quite a bit in the second half under a surprisingly hot sun for the time of year. Usually it thins out by mile four but this year it was still quite crowded in mile seven so I just couldn't get into my stride and maintain a steady pace. I finished in 1:23:55 which is still a great time but it's just a little annoying that I was only about a minute off a pb!

A long run is required at some point this week plus I've got a five mile race on Friday night so after nearly three quiet weeks I'm ready to build up the mileage again!
  • Well done on your half Will even if it wasn't the time you wanted.  Great pic.  I like the orange t-shirt.  If I may?  If you are not so great at the moment please try not to put yourself under too much pressure to perform. 
    I was bitten badly by the black dog a few years ago and had phases during which running was no release at all but made things worse as I was constantly telling myself that I couldn't even run decently let alone work, cope with every day life etc.  It took a while to turn that around. 
    I hope that you are now enjoying Scotland in the meantime.

Nice parkrun Cal. 

Hope you had a nice holiday Matt.  Good result in the GSR, a minute off a PB over ten miles isn't much if it was warm.

6 and a bit mile race for me yesterday (10.6km).  Finished in 47.47 which I was pleased with as I have done little speedwork since Berlin mid-September.  8th of 32 in my age category and 12th lady overall of 118. 
    Tough course with quite a lot of climbing to do in the first half - I even walked a short stretch - and sometimes stony paths requiring careful concentration not to turn an ankle whilst running at speed.  Conditions were good. It was warm enough for a vest and lightweight shorts.  The sun was annoyingly strong in parts but so was the wind - in particular on the last km.

Did a decent warm up - around 2 miles with some drills and strides.  I placed myself at the back of the first start block (sub 50 mins) and set off at around 10k PB pace as the first km was flat, struggled a bit up the hill - being overtaken by a few, but once we were off the long hill I was able to grab back quite a few places as I was able to keep going strongly whilst others faded.  I overtook two young ladies about 400m from the line and thought ha - got you! But they promptly kicked past with 200m to go to which I couldn't respond.  They were only half my age though. 

Also did a short slow cool down jog - can definitely recommend doing this and then enjoyed cake and coffee with a team mate.  Good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.  Finisher goody:  a nice woolly hat. 

Gentler week planned now - will keep gradually upping the mileage but take out the intensity a bit.
  • Sorry you missed your PB, Matt - GSR does look a bit crowded for a PB!
    That's a good time, Hazelnut, especially if it was windy.

6 miles today - quite chilly, but I was still in T-shirt and shorts so I ran a bit too quickly (MP +30 seconds). I need to dress better next time!
    Unfortunately I've sustained another injury....but nothing to do with running. I've fractured a couple of teeth on a popcorn kernel and will need £850 worth of work done. :( It won't affect my running but it will mean I might have to be a bit more conservative about entering expensive races!
  • Nice GSR run Matt, well done.

Ouch on the teeth front, Cal. Darned popcorn!

Thanks for your kindness, Hazelnut. I'm bearing up and Scotland will be a great head clearer. Mull is my favourite place in the world. Going to hike a bit but no running. Will be too busy looking for birds! You're right about taking pressure off yourself. Even though I'm just a fun runner really and in no way fast, it's difficult not to get caught up in times and PBs and what not. I'm looking forward to the challenge of my marathon training, but it's much more distance based for me than about any times. Hopefully I can keep this attitude and remain a contented plodder. Next event is a Christmas 20 mile trail thing and so I'm just going to aim to get round that one and hope I don't chafe my baubles :)

I run, therefore I am.