Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    TR.. great effort and fair analysis, you've been out of the marathon loop for a while which may just have made the difference.  Still, you beat my V50 best by a couple of minutes anyway!  Hope you can enjoy a few beerios before the end of the day.
    SJ.. bravo in doing what it says on the proverbial tin.  I guess getting a consistent and uninterrupted bank of training has done it for you this time - celebrate well.
    Cracking run SW!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yay! Well done SJ, Stevie & TR. 
    Stevie: 
    looking forward to the report. Great negative split.
    SJ: 
    great to see you back in sub 3 shape. 
    TR: 
    I know you wanted faster, but with the difficult year you've had that's a cracking result. It deserves to be celebrated and I hope you will/are!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    SJ - i was parked up by 7.45am, but couldnt get near the portaloos, so gave up got changed and dropped my bag and tried again. I got into the portaloo at 8.55, had to quickly vault the fence and get on the start line just as they encouraged folks to toe the line.

Further thoughts..........3 guys in Bracknell vests went past me at 7ish miles, i found myself just behind them so tucked in for a free ride, control the controllables and simply follow. We ended up being in a large group at around 2:55 or 56 pace. At one of the single file parts around 15m, 5 or 6 runners were between me and them. Once it widened my lift had gone, i then spent energy trying to chase them down instead of controlling the controllables (gels etc), i had to slow as i was working too hard, but was late on gels etc which meant i started to feel light headed etc and the piano turned up early (around 18 to 20m), which is why i was struggling a bit when SJ went past. Having said that, i remember thinking i could run the last 3 or 4m  in 8mm for a sub 3, but as son as you get stopped by the cramp the time leeches away. It took me 10min to get from the 25M marker.

I was low 2.50s when i was at my best, so it was a big ask to try to jump back in at sub3 after 3.5 years away age 51. I could have gone a min slower in 1st 1/2 which i might have to do for Brighton.
    I need to make sure i dont leave it 3.5 years to finish another (although injuries and illness cant be helped).
    I have a 19 min GFA buffer should i choose to run vlm again.

It took me 5 or 6 wasted numbers to finally run abo, apart from the portaloo chaos i like it, decent course and plenty of folks to run with. Much better than scrumming for drinks and dodging bottles at vlm.
  • Great to catch up with Selbs and TR. I am sure you will be back under 3 next time TR. Great for you to get a GFA under the belt so takes the pressure off in Brighton. Nice running Selbs and sign you have put Snowdon behind you.

Congrat SJ - sorry I didn't spot you or Jooligan.

I had slightly better than expected run. I ran with Dan for first 16 miles. I think we went through half way in 1:28:20 and I managed to hold on to finish in 2:57:59 -which needed a mini sprint to avoid another 2:58. I felt pretty in control most of the race apart from a niggle in hamstring and dodgy right Achilles/ankle which has been giving me gyp(sp?) for months. Pleased with race as it is my 2nd fastest time. Nice conditions today with hardly any wind and a fresh start with sun coming out towards end.

Strava splits for those who are interested: https://www.strava.com/activities/1918302133

• Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Nice running TickTock.

You can definitely go sub 3 again TR - you need miles in the legs is all.

Well done sj.

Congratulations on your first sub 3 Stevie.

Enjoy the beers guys - you earned them.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • SJ -- super even splits. Very nice! And congrats too, StevieWh.

TR -- so chuffed that you got a decent result without any hamstrings going twang. And yes back on the GFA train (if you want it)... would be great to see you back at the Red Lion.

TickTock -- another nicely paced sub-3, well done.

I was ill all last week but have finally shaken it off today I think. A reasonably brisk 10M this morning, though my HR was still a bit high. No races booked until a low-key half in 4 weeks, so I'm not minded to beat myself up; better to continue having some overdue downtime.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    CW - no twangs, just cramps. But thats a function of no maras and only 5 20s, although all the 1/2s i raced instead have pushed my fitness up a bit. This time last yr i was still on 30mpw, and this time 2 years ago i was not running at all (between july and christmas) due to injury. Onwards and upwards.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Congratulations on the sub-3 marathons SJ, StevieW, and TT, all beautifully paced. A great reward for your training. 
    Knocking loudly on the sub-3 door TR. Looks like the sub-3 was on bar the cramping. Next time I am sure you will nail it. 

65m for the week, starting to finally shake off my last marathon. 20m today in 2.35. Aiming for 70+ on my hols, a 8-10 mile beach run to see sunrise followed by a bit less pre-supper time and repeat. Love it. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - cheers, i seem to remember you having a near miss too when you started again.

I got sunburnt too !
  • I got sunburnt too despite wearing a cap!

Cheers guys, means a lot from you all. 

TickTock- nicely done sir. Really well judged. Followed on Strava. 

TR - some positive reflection from you which is great to read. All the issues you have suffered this year alone would have put many off. I feel guilty now thinking back that the best I could offer was "only 20 minutes to go!" Like you didn't already know this. Sorry about that. I think I only blurted that out as that was what I was telling myself. 

Glad you're feeling better Charlie.

Hope the knee has settled Jools? 

OO - great training there so soon after your last race. 

So pleased my legs held out. Was really worried my Achilles wasn't right. In truth I never thought about it all race. Slight twinge in right hammy only issue but that was nothing either. 

Looking at splits, came off the pace for a couple of miles as Stevie left me at 16 miles but managed to pick pace up again as I got to 20. Kept it going until last two miles were I slowed up 20-25 seconds a mile. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - it was welcome encouragement. I was counting down too. I was a bit spaced out at the time and regretting not getting a bottle of discarded luco off the floor as i missed the 2nd station.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    TickTock: excellent pacing! Well done on a sub 2 58 limbo :)

Curtailed long run at 14 miles as left knee isn't quite right. Icing it at the moment and hoping it settles soon!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    TR - Yes by 13 seconds.  10 minutes quicker, 10 weeks later.  So look to make use of all that pre-Abo training and the performance boost you will get from today. 
    SJ - I think if your running a sub 3 time, the race really starts at mile 23 as its so easy to lose 30-60 seconds a mile at that stage, so losing 20-25 is pretty decent.  
    Jools - Look after that knee, sounds a good call ending the run when you did.
  • Well done TT, TR, SJ & Stevie. Pleasure to meet & run with you SJ & Stevie. 
    My race ticked the primary goal which was to regain a GFA for VLM. I knew sub3 was unlikely given my short build up & lack of 20s but conditions were so good I figured I’d give it a shot. Met SJ on the start & went away from him after a few hundred metres running comfortably at 6:45ish. Met a guy who decided the group ahead were going a bit fast & we knocked out the first 8 miles together before SJ & Stevie joined us. I was bouncing along comfortably enough with only minor twinges from my dodgy right hammy & glute. I had a gel at 30 & 60 minutes. We went through half way in 1:29:03 & so a minute later I had a Caffeine Bullet sweet. These are not easy to take however & I lost a handful of seconds which meant I became detached from our foursome. I tried to ease my way back to the group without putting in a sudden surge but could only maintain the deficit as we turned down the cycle path to 14M. Once we turned onto the hill after 15M I drifted back further & my legs suddenly felt empty. From then on I was battling the urge to slow further & experiencing the depressing fact of folks I’d glided past earlier coming back past me. I wouldn’t recommend the Caffeine Bullets as not only are they awkward to open they also don’t get into the body quickly - it was still in my mouth at 2 hrs when I had my final gel. I had my 2nd Bullet immediately after the gel too to give it time to be digested & absorbed. 3 jelly babies at mile 19 completed my race nutrition. My breakfast of 3 bananas & a jam wrap was probably inadequate on reflection.
    Scores on the doors 3:08:13 so a massive slow down over the second half. Pleased I soldiered on & secured GFA (probably) but disappointed I haemorrhaged quite so much time. Btw SJ your time was actually 2:58:38. 
  • Cheers Jooligan. That makes more sense the 1:29:03/2:58:38 split. You only told me the halfway split twice at least and I still couldn't remember. Head must have still been proper scrambled. 

Hope your legs recover and also that your time does indeed secure you GFA once again. 
  • Sorry to hear your knee meant you needed to cut your run short Joolska.

That doesn't sound like a lot of fuel Jooligan - my pre-race marathon breakfast is much bigger. No GI issues though? Hopefully you'll be safe for GFA with that.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thinking of GFA, a buffer of 6 1/2 mins probably isn't enough seen as how a lot of folks seem to dip under 3 hours these days. Will have to try and improve at Manchester, although I'll be a V45 by then so get an extra 5 minutes. 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

I was thinking of you lot on my Sunday morning run, mainly because I was thinking about how it was perfect running weather!

TR - well toughed out and a decent result, pleased to see you're fairly positive about it. There's certainly another sub-3 there if you can stay injury-free and everything goes to plan on the day.

Sj - very nicely done, well deserved after the work you've put in.

Jooligan - I don't eat too much pre-race either, just my usual breakfast and maybe a Lucozade or gel close to the start. Getting detached like that was probably quite important - I've had that happen where I've felt comfortable in a group and then for some reason lost a few metres and suddenly the legs go AWOL. Well done for sticking with it and bagging the GFA though (hopefully).

TickTock - well judged and always nice to get a time ending in :59!

For me it was 6.5M on Saturday morning inc. 3x1.5M (ish) cross country efforts with the club. A hilly circuit on wet grass with a bit of mud, which made it a really tough session given I was pushing mini-P!

Then yesterday I did 10M in 67 mins, all easy except miles 4, 6 and 8 which were harder (5:5x for the first two and 5:39 for the last) - intending to be a bit of practice for this Sunday's 10M race.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    sj - top notch! Well done, and it's good to see you getting a good return on your training!

TR
    - well done. You battled niggles throughout and still almost made the sub-3. Great work!

Stevie - congrats on your first sub-3.

TickTock - nicely done! 2nd fastest ever is not to be sniffed at. How much shy of your pb were you?

Jooligan - bad luck, but well done on toughing it out for the GFA time. FWIW I only have a liquid breakfast (PSP22) before a marathon and don't use gels during it, so maybe look at your fuelling in the build up to see if you can improve that. 
  • Well done ABOers, 

SJ / TR you can both see it as foundations for spring marathons. And certainly some lessons there for me in my attempts to get GFA back again. 

Are GFA times no longer guaranteed from what Ive been reading? 

Brass monkey entries have gone stupid, lots of people with fear of missing out. I don't know if its a Yorkshire thing, or nationwide but there are plenty of races that seem to fill up in a morning. 

I missed the entry for it, was out doing a mixed terrain 16 @ 7:47s

TT how was the XC and the Xtalons? I wore road trainers still on my run, fell over in some mud  :/ (my mate in his park claws also went over a few miles earlier) 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    OO - i wont be going 10mins quicker in 10 weeks, although my next mara length run is in 9 weeks, its mostly tracks and trails.

Jools - shame you had to cut yr long run short, but 14m so soon shows you hopefully havnt been hurt too badly,.

Jooligan - losing your ride sounds similar to me, but you hung on to tick yr gfa box. I didnt drink much as i assumed it was a cold day, didnt realise how warm it got and how thirsry i was until a few miles to go.

Padams - the sub 3 (or not) monkey has been lifted, i feel kind of relaxed that ive bagged a 3:XX, i can move on now. The 3.01 will get me on the fast brighton start (and get me portaloo access etc).

WTG - the new gfa rules meant evetyone got in as far as im aware. My gfa minus 18min will get me in (if i take it) as most running 2.41 under age 40 will probably be champs start anyway.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Quads and feet feel amazingly good, thats the racing and BAC stuff. Hammies arnt happy, thats the lack of long runs.

Been out for a few miles (walk) with the dog, and ive now got a big pile of shingle to shovel off my drive whislt its repaved, thought it best to do this today rather than saturday.

I have retribution planned for Abo next year now, as well as Yeovil.
  • That doesn't sound like a recovery day TR!

WTG - VLM is now like Boston where the GFA time means you can apply for a place but if they are over subscribed the fastest GFA runners get in, they changed the system this year but I don't know of anyone with the GFA that didn't get a place.

sj - see above. I think you'll get in with your time.

That sounds like a tough workout with junior Padams.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    My club mate got GFA for 2019 off a 3:04:59 as a V40 so just a 1s cushion.
    I’m pretty sure ideal marathon prep doesn’t include beers & dancing Friday night then hardly sleeping at all due to the booze :D 
    I knew sub3 was highly ambitious but figured nothing ventured nothing gained.
    No GI issues at least LMH.
    I definitely didn’t drink enough in the race either TR. I was really thirsty on the drive home.
    Hungover today after more beers & dancing in Exeter last night.
    Legs are sore too so no way I’ll be running today. Got to get myself recovered for Snowdonia on Saturday!
  • TR / LMH - thanks for the clarification on GFA times, I shall use the element of doubt to make sure I put down a decent marker.

I'm going to experiment with some food and nutrition over this campaign from reading above. (though I did used to really look forward to the high Gi Scoff using the Aussie carb loading method!) 

For the 1/2 IM I did in September, I'd been following a high fat low carb diet across the summer. 
    My race breakfast was sausage bacon and eggs, 
    And my in race nutrition was 4 mini pepperamis on the bike, and a caffeine gel at mile 10.5 on the run. 

The science and theory behind it is that glycogen stores are drained so the body looks for alternative source, and ketones are used as the energy source which are produced from fat, of which I have plenty in storage. 

Anyone with much experience of this from a marathon running perspective? 
  • SJ - 2.55 was my dream goal so I am over the moon with it. Far from slowing me down you really helped me stick to the plan so thank you. Was a pleasure to run with you! Maybe see you at Manchester.

Jooligan - I wondered where you went at the drinks station! Well done on toughing it out, can't believe you are doing Snowdonia at the weekend! Good luck!

TR - Congrats on a great time, I must have passed you in the final few miles but didn't spot you.

I have written a report on the sub 3.15 thread if anyone is interested

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Some great results from yesterday and good to meet a few familiar faces again.
    Was a bit naive thinking I could run sub 3 without pushing too hard, at the end of an 80+ mile week which included a 21, a 16, two tempos and a hill session.  Finished in 3.08 which is OK for a training run I guess, but hoped I could have kept the sub 3 pace going for longer (I couldn't) before dropping down to jogging pace.  Don't feel particularly tired today, though not sure if that is good or bad.

6 weeks left until target race in Valencia.  Biggest lesson from yesterday is that I'm at an age where I can't get away without a proper taper.  :)
  • Grand efforts Jooligan & Dan both!

WTGY -- I do all my long training runs unfuelled, and dabble with a low-carb diet from about 2 weeks out just to avoid putting weight on during the taper, though hopefully it also encourages fat metabolism. BUT I carb like mad for the race itself -- the 'train low, race high' carb strategy. It is much less efficient metabolically trying to use only fats, though some triathletes seem hugely well adapted to it. The fat adaptation for me is getting my muscles to use a decent proportion of fat such that they don't conk out for lack of glycogen, but at the same time I want them to start with as much glycogen as possible for optimum performance.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks all for kind words.

Stevie - great report over on 3:15 and a pleasure to have played a small part in your maiden sub-3! Congrats once again. As someone commented on your report, interesting lack of 20 mile runs. See you in Manchester, although I suspect only at the start.

WTG - yes a marker for sure especially since I ran 3:11 at this year's Mcr marathon so delighted to have shaved off some timber and got some fintess back. Some races have seen a downturn in popularity, Wilmslow for one seems to have been affected. Used to sell out very quickly but now entries are easy to come by. Price rises and more choice I guess.

TR - as LMH said, doesn't sound like an easy day to me. Been out with the dog a couple of times too. Legs feel pretty decent. Up and down stairs are fine. 

Jooligan - couldn't contemplate doing Snowdonia this weekend. Fair play to you. 

DanA - again fair play for having a go off that big week. Hope remaining training goes well leading into Valencia. 

Plenty of carbs in final days leading into race weekend with an additional peanut butter and banana bagel each day. Was also drinking plenty of carbs/electrolyte (Asda £1.50 for 6 sachets). Tried out the fabled jam sandwich but added a banana. Had one of those on race morning as wasn't paying £7.50 for a bowl of porridge (my usual breakfast). 

Race nutrition was a gel taken whilst doing a couple of warm up laps on the track. Then gels at 5ish, 10ish, 16/17 and last one at 22 miles. Fluked the first three as took them just before feed stations which meant I could wash them down. Also grabbed a few jelly babies. 

Drank at all feed stations including the lucozade ones. Felt good and didn't get too hot until last 30 minutes when my base layer became a bad choice as temps increased. Up until then was feeling perfect. I did remember I rolled my sleeves up at some point in those last miles and said something like "come on FFS". Pivotal moment perhaps. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    WTG - not sure that'd work for marathons. 

Stevie - well played, how old are you, sounds like room for improvement.

LMH/SJ - certainly no rest day, ive been moving and laying pavers, shovelling shingle and moving slabs in the wheelbarrow.  Im going to be sore tomorrow! My stomach muscle issue which was surpringly good after yday, is sore now. But i expected that, which is why i did this work today rather than saturday.

SJ - i was far more sweary with myself than that!
  • TR - I'm 29 so hopefully plenty of improvement to come. Dream ambition is to get onto the champs start.