Options

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bike It! You have got me in absolute stitches - I can hardly type I am laughing so much. I hope this doesn't offend, but, you are turning into a South African version of me... you have found the most tortuous and convoluted method for entering Comrades and the World is still throwing you curve balls! I admire your tenacity - Does that payment guarantee your entry or does the form have to be received too - I would go and deliver it by hand - if you post it a Great Dane is going to urinate in the post box and destroy your entry form. 
  • Options
    I only booked a (fully refundable) hotel room just in case I decide to go again, now I seem to have entered just in case they sell out early...... guess I better start looking at flights soon!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bike It: good grief! Here's hoping the rest of the entry experience goes more smoothly.
    Mc Hilly: I too booked a hotel room 'just in case', And I'm sure I would have pressed the button by now if it wasn't that I have already booked SDW100 and it's physically impossible for me to run both of them! (Unless someone lends me a time machine). And it is definitely feeling odd not entering, and knowing I'm not going to be in Durban with you all! Hope you find the flights you want at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Look Debra SDW offer a 100% Rebate Guarantee - only 8,000 Comrades entries left this morning
  • Options
    I too booked a hotel room just in case and although I'm watching the entry numbers dwindle, I have decided not to enter. It's been quite an agonising decision and I'm already jealous of those of you who are going next year. I have no plans for anything else instead which is a bit frustrating as I like a goal, but for now I'm just going to run how I want without having a permanent schedule stuck up telling me what to do :'(

But for any newbies, it's a fantastic race with some great people. Go for it.

Hope you don't mind me sticking round and following your journey

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Sorry you won't be with us SS - I always look forward to seeing you in Durbs - you are a rock of assurance and fun in a world that keeps trying to make me wobble - did you know a heap of your friends are dropping in?

Please stick with us - I don't think I'll make it to South Africa without your guidance :)

• Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sorry to hear that you'll not be there SS. As you probably know, I will be there just hanging around as a supporter and enjoying the good company. Still sad that I'll not be running though (other than the parkrun - slowly!).
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    SS sorry to hear you wont be there.  
    Debra looked into that rebate yet?  ;) 
    Loved the picture re the Green Man. I feel a little bit green after the Langdales Marathon this weekend, with over 1000m of climbing I have that post comrades feel to my legs.  Might have to go back and do the route again in April/May as a training run. Came home in 3.58.  Saw two Comrades hats on the route, and spoke to one who was going for his 17 comrades next year.
  • Options
    Lowrez, where/how do you find these things???!!!
    Southern Snail: just enjoy running! You can always find smaller, low-key events with entries available until close to the day/on the day if you decide you want to enter something for the fun of it - without having been following a huge training schedule: you have the miles on your legs that you could enter anything up to a 50K without thinking about it, as long as you keep doing some long runs.
    Peter R: well done at Langdales Marathon.
    My weekend included a 6K cross country in Richmond Park on Saturday and SVN Autumn Ranscombe Challenge yesterday, where I completed 10 laps - so officially 37.5 miles, although for a change my watch measured it as a bit less rather than more. Only one person did an 11th lap and most stopped by marathon or at 50K. Nick Nicholson was there in his '270 marathons in 52 weeks' T-shirt. The funniest thing was that I was running my 7th lap with someone who was running their marathon lap, and wondered where he had got a lap ahead of me (I'd set off quite fast on the first couple of laps), and on the following lap there were quite a few people I was overtaking who said they were on their marathon lap. About 2/3 of the way round, I looked at my watch and it said I'd run 28 miles. Got to the end of the lap, with 29.5 miles on my watch and as I was having the 8th lap hole punched I said how strange it was that my watch was more that 3 miles out in distance... The penny still didn't drop until Rachel asked me how many laps I'd done: 'eight' - 'yes, that's correct then - it's 7 laps for a marathon!'
  • Options
    Unless someone lends me a time machine

....I think I know how to BR
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Coming to an airport near you soon, the new Virgin Time Span Tunnel

• Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks Lowrez. I had wondered how to mark things like 'csorthofeet' as spam but hadn't really tried yet. Shall do now.
  • Options
    I clicked spam and he disappeared 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow magic touch SS - maybe 2 spams kills the offender - nice one! Do you want to try it again? He has one on page 16 I previously marked. We could become the Spam Caped Crusaders of The Forum - shall we design some lycra outfits to wear? 
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I've now done it on pg 16 but it stays with 2 flags. I think SS did the 3rd last time so another 3rd from SS on pg.16 should do the trick. Then we'll know for sure that it's '3 strikes and you're out' for this sort of junk.
  • Options
    lowrez: I clicked it as spam as well - so might require as many as four... I will go look at page 16 now!
  • Options
    That's 3 flags on the instance on page 16 - Snail, do you want to see if four makes him disappear again?
  • Options
    Your wish is my command. He's gone :) 
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    A registered letter has left my hand to Comrades Marathon carrying my entry.  Of course it includes a nice letter referencing ASA Rule 9 (about foreign athletes, of which I am not one) as well as passport and Permanent Resident certificate copies certified by the lovely ladies at the police station.  As well as the application form and bank deposit receipt.

I took it to a reliable courier company who refused it as they don't deliver to PO Boxes ( although they have tens of thousands of them).  I then took it to the Post Office.....that's the same Post Office who are notorious for 'loosing' post or opening the post.  Hence I scanned everything before I sent and have a tracking receipt.

Fingers crossed

Good running Peter and Debra

32km/20mile yesterday was less good than planned.  It became increasingly tough at about 23km and I was very fatigued at 28km and walked/shuffled the rest of the way home.  It's not like I was going fast or it was very hot either - I am just unfit at the moment.  Every run is an improvement and I'm very happy to say I have minimal pain in my hip today.  It was my longest run since the Vaal marathon in March and my fitness has a long way to improve.  It's a big birthday for me next weekend so my wife is kidnapping me and so I think it is my last long run before Soweto on 4 Nov.  I can really say I'm tapering as that would imply I had done some training
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Nice going Bike It, both on entry and running, do you feel a 4:50 is within reach?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Wow - We are The Fantastic Four - with anti-spam superpowers including our usual stuff:-

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Southern Snail - I can't cope with your Comrades absence - I keep seeing you in everything I do...

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Soweto marathon : Last year I paid for a free carpark to the innovative carpark attendants on my way to a half marathon personal worst. The race T-shirt was described as "one size fits all". However this should not be interpreted as applicable to adults - I think they should have said "one size fits all 6-year olds". I don't have a good track record there.

I am thinking of it as a long training run this year for the full marathon. I should be able to get a shiney new PW (personal worst). 4:50 should be achievable; although it might not be....... Time will tell. 
  • Options
    Its a run til you drop race....the guy from the Barkely marathons. 

Imagine running over 212 miles and still getting a DNF because you didn't win the damn thing - whats not to love!
  • Options
    What is it you ask? It's a loop race with a 4.17 mile course around the race director's property that you have 1 hour to complete, every hour, until you can no longer finish it in an hour. There is no race distance, you just go until you can't. Last year the winner ran for 245 miles, which is one more loop than second place could manage. That's 59 laps of the course in 59 hours, with never more than about 15 minutes to rest between each lap.

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Courtney is creaming it - can I get a bet on anywhere?

I would really struggle at this - I need a fixed goal to wind me in from however far out I start to feel the crunch - this is potentially never ending - and terrible psychological damage will no doubt result if you have to give in.

• Options
    JNR: not me! I don't do well with lack of sleep, so I'd slow down too much - they've been going for more than two days so far. And I've never run more than 100 miles - they had done that by the end of the first 24 hours!