Sub 3h15

Comments

• Amazing work Stevie - great time!
  • edited October 2018
    Stevie - super impressive. Well done! Great to catch you as you went past me on the track - I guess that you must have got things sorted out pretty quickly with your running belt. I had you briefly in my sights for the first mile but then you disappeared in a cloud of dust. You must have felt you were very much in control in the first half to be able to let off the brakes to such an extent in the second half.
    For those of you who haven't done Abingdon, it's a super quick (i.e. pancake flat) course mostly on roads with a little bit of off road section but most importantly really well organised, well supported especially as you go through the town and the villages en route and with the added bonus of a finish on the athletics track at the sports centre. I'd PB'ed there twice (in 3 attempts) including my first sub 3:15 so I've got a bit of a soft spot for the course.
    This time the target was clear - try to get my GFA time back after losing it in the heat at VLM this year - in theory I needed sub 3:15 but given the new system, I wanted to get closer to 3:10 but was doing the calculations based on an average 7:15 pace.
    That said, training had been a bit sporadic and I didn't follow a particular plan this time other than trying to get the obvious mix of long runs and speed work, and in the run up to today I'd had alot on so definitely hadn't been getting the optimum amount of sleep. In the last couple of weeks I'd switched from no alcohol in the fortnight beforehand to no caffeine just to see if it would make a difference.
    On the positive note, conditions on the day were pretty much ideal so with the caffeine boost from a strong coffee about 30 mins before the start I set off very much with the idea of running to feel with just a stopwatch to enable me to see the splits at the mile markers.
    Once Stevie had glided past me, I settled into a rhythm and quickly got into a conversation with another guy with a very similar marathon history to mine - the first few miles flew by and in the first half the miles varied between 6:53 (mile 11) and 7:12 (mile 4) with most in or around the high 7:0x's and I got to halfway in 1:32:30, well ahead of expectations which took the pressure off immensely.
    I knew that there would be a bit of fade in the second half and I didn't want to blow up so I kept things under control and miles 14-24 were all in the 7:05-7:10 zone apart from a couple of enthusiastic 6:55s (miles 15 and 22) and a 7:16 for mile 20 and I was feeling as comfortable as I'd ever done in a marathon at mile 24.
    It's fair to say that fatigue finally started to kick in during the last couple of miles (7:22 and 7:49) and I didn't have much left for a sprint round the track but came in with a less than 3 min positive split in 3:08:19, not only well within my target but a PB for the course by some margin, my fastest marathon since April 2016 and my 4th fastest ever marathon (out of 26 to date).
    Suffice to say, I'm also pretty f***ing chuffed with the result and it has restored my confidence that despite the last couple of VLMs (3:10 and 3:18:47) I'm not yet over the hill.
    Time for quick cup of tea now, and then a celebratory drink or two! :):)

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, Lorenzo. Congratulations!!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    superb stuff, Lorenzo - pleased you can join me on the 26 mark :)
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Brilliant stuff from both Lorenzo and Stevie! Well done guys - enjoy the celebrations!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Great result, Lorenzo! 

we've had a decent Autumn between us all and gfas all round already in the bag for London 2020 with times much too fast to be in danger of the cut off. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Excellent, Lorenzo!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Chuffed for the Abo guys. Brilliantt stuff! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done Stevie that is amazing you must be so pleased!
    Lorenzo that is also fantastic, I remember well your disappointments chatting after VLMs. You raised the bar and proved indeed that old boys can still deliver.
    Sorry to hear about your accident Jools. I recall several  bike accidents on this thread, and seriously wonder if it’s worth the risk. Hope your running is not affected.

I popped in a 60 mile week including an 18:25 parkrun and an 18 miler yesterday. The knee is still not 100% but hoping the taper to NY will help. I’m just going to focus on shorter runs and swimming this week. But a heavy boys weekend in Keswick to negotiate before setting off next Tuesday.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Abingdon Marathon:

Entered Abingdon as my 2nd marathon as it looked like a flat fast course with hopefully some good runners to run with. After injuring myself at Stratford Half I had 3 weeks off at the end of May/June to let everything settle down. During this time I started thinking about the Abingdon training and looking at coaching. Came across Lewis Moses  at New Levels Coaching. Had a really good chat with him and realised that our training theorys matched and we would probably work well together. Wasn't 100% sure on paying for training though but then very generously my girlfriend and her parents offered pay for the Abingdon block for my birthday.

Started working with Lewis 16 weeks out from Abingdon. The training was definitely different from what I had done before and the 'normal' marathon training plans. Focus was on long intervals at 10k pace with high volumes eg 12 x 1k and 7 x 1mile and also long tempo runs. Long runs were generally around 16 miles with only 1 20m run with MP and a 22m 2 weeks before the race. Training definitely paid off as a PB'd in all distances: 5k - 18.09, 10k - 37.44 and HM - 1.22.50. The HM giving me the confidence to go for Sub 3 at Abingdon.

So race day. Arrived at the track at around 8.20 and immediately got in the huge queue for the portaloos, this is the only complaint I'd have about the event as this took forever. Finally got out onto the track at around 8.40 and ran a quick 800m warm up followed by some stretches. Put my gels into my running belt and then lined up at the start.

Before I even had chance to get nervous we were off! As soon as I started running my belt was bouncing up and down and not very comfortable! Knew I wouldn't be able to run the whole marathon with it like this so I had to try and sort it. Took the belt off and attempted to tighten it while running, this is when I spotted Lorenzo. After managing to loosen it I finally managed to tighten it up and put it back on, wished Lorenzo good luck and pushed on to my target pace. To make matters worse a gel then dropped out of my belt, luckily a runner behind me handed it to me. This happened again about half a mile later, teach me for buying cheap stuff from Sports Direct!

The plan set with Lewis before hand was to run at 6.45-6.50 pace for the first 5k and then it was up to me. Also the goal was to ensure I posted a negative split. In my mind my MP was around 6.40 so I was happy with this. First mile came up in 7.00, 2nd was slightly down hill so was 6.40. It was around here that I spotted SJ from the sub 3 thread. Introduced myself and realised we were running similar paces. We could also see Jooligan a bit further ahead so made sure we kept him in sight. Next few miles all came in at around 6.45-6.50 which felt comfortable, decided to be cautious and stick at this pace with a while. Also having SJ to run with meant the time was flying by.

We caught up with Jooligan at around 11miles and then we had a group of around 5/6 of us. Came through half way at 1.29.05 which I was happy with as I was feeling good and was confident I would make some time up. Jooligan dropped off at the next water station so our group thinned down slightly. The groups in front us were starting to slow so we were passing runners. When we got to the 16m marker I decided to push on slightly but still keep things in control. Wished SJ good luck and pressed on.

Pushed my pace down to 6.35-6.40 which felt OK and started working my way through the field. Passed the 18m marker which was where my legs started struggling at London, was quite amazed that I felt good still. Reached 20m at 2.15 so I knew I needed a 40min 10k to hit my dream goal of a 2.55. Pushed the pace on slightly again and just concentrated on picking vests and passing them. Was still feeling good and was waiting for something to go wrong!

The hill in mile 25 felt like it went on forever and at this point I was completely on my own with just some runners in the distance to focus on. Once I'd got over that It was just a case of trying to catch and pass as many runners as I could. Mile 26 was my fastest mile - 6.26 which I am amazed at! Came onto the Athletics track for the final lap, heard my family shout at me from the finish line which gave me a big boost. Launched a big sprint finish from around 150m out, passed a few more runners and threw my arms in the air. I'd gone sub 3!! Average of 5.04 for the final 0.2. Official time of 2.55.48 so a 1.29.05/1.26.43 split. A 26.51 PB from London

I can't stop grinning, over the moon that I managed to execute the pacing plan and also go sub 3 in my 2nd marathon. Definitely need to even my splits out for future marathons but I'm not complaining! 
  • Huge congrats Lorenzo! Thats a great time and great to bounce back from London. Pleasure to meet you!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Stevie. Sounds like you executed the plan very well. Given how you've responded to this training it seems money well spent and I wouldn't be surprised given your age that you'll end up on a champs start in London soon enough. 

Joolska, hope you're ok following your accident. I used to cycle to work a lot. It's quite risky for sure. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    definitely more to come, too, Stevie, indicated by size of neg split and last mile quickest ! 
    your training very interesting - light on long ( 20+ ) milers , I'd have thought beforehand, but clearly the proof is in the pudding (or, in your case, the birthday present)  :)B)   
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I managed to get a place for the brass monkey half in January. Anyone else doing or done this? 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s an amazing run Stevie I’m still in shock at how fast you ran and how smoothly the run went.
    DT19 I will be in York for the brass monkey. It’s a great race, very fast if weather is good. I usually go with my wife and make a weekend of it.
  • edited October 2018
    Thanks for the comments folks - appreciated.
    Great report Stevie - great to hear of a race strategy executed to perfection.
    Good week and parkrunning OO - how far off 100% is the knee?
    Two quick questions from me:
    1. I'm toying with the idea of doing the Seville Marathon as it falls very conveniently at the start of the February half term (Mrs L is a teacher) so would be the ideal opportunity to take in some culture and wonderful food for a few days afterwards. Anyone any experience of it?
    2. Disappointingly Mizuno have decided to discontinue the Hitogami which I've been running up to marathon distance in for a number of years without any problems. I'm therefore looking for a similar kind of shoes (lightweight and low drop) that would be equally good for short speed sessions and racing up to 26.2 miles. Any thoughts? What are the Fastwitches or the Adizeros like - they seem to get good reviews but I can't seem to find a running shop that stocks them!
    Rest day for me today. Slightly scarily, younger Lorenzito went for an intervals session on the treadmill at the gym today: 5 x 5mins at 5:30 pace with 90s recoveries. Makes my eyes water just thinking of 1 x 1min at that pace!

• OO - Im still a bit shocked as well! I was waiting for a disaster to happen which never did. I hope the knee settles for New York

Lorenzo - Have you looked at/tried the On Cloud shoes? I have the On Cloud X's which I do my sessions in but also wore for Abingdon. Their other models also look good, lightweight and cushioned with around a 6mm drop. Could be worth a try
  • A little late but great run Lorenzo! Not sure if I comment on StevieWh here or SG's thread so commented there but well done as well, massive negative split says more to come from you.
  • Back from my long weekend and had to post to offer congratulations to both Stevie and Lorenzo. 2 great performances and results. Mightily impressive sub 3 with more to come and solid course PB off sporadic training. Will catch up properly later.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hi Lorenzo- I'm already booked for Seville if you can join will be Fab. :)
    Try the Silken Al-Andalus Palace hotel. We got 5 nights for £429 and they lay on a bus to the start. Also cheap Easyjet flights from London. 
    The knee is about 95% but I'm sure it will be fine after the taper. Solid 7 miler this morning.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    after the top-notch weekend exploits, its time to (considerably) lower the standards bar :) 

results just in for last week's first XC fixture - 

177th from 195 finishers, and 6th V60-64 .  38:47 for the reportedly 8K course (I reckon probably a bit shorter)  ;    3 years ago (age 61),  I recorded 35:57 on same course.
     I think my report mentioned my son lapping me  - he bagged 6th in 25:38.  Sobering and pleasing at the same time !   2nd fixture (of 4) coming up on Sunday . . . .   
  • Stevie - really enjoyed your report. Congratulations again - you must be on cloud nine! That's quite some negative split. You could eke out another minute or so I guess, but it's such a fine balance and can so easily go pear-shaped. I can sympathise with the belt issue. I borrowed one of Poacher's gel belts for White Peak marathon and had trouble stopping it from slipping/bouncing around - had to tighten it up so much that I discovered I had drawn blood later on after the race (didn't have the heart to tell Poacher at the time or indeed until now). I'm also very encouraged by your massive PB!
    Lorenzo - impressive running to be well within your target and able to relax in the second half. Years of training and racing stood you in good stead. Nicely done.
    Badbark - excellent parkrun and WAVA.
    Jools - sorry to hear about the accident - hope it's soon mended.
    OO - great parkrun and high mileage week.
    Birch - good luck with this weekend's XC. I just hope I can still run in another 12 years time!
    Had a great weekend walking along some of the beautiful Norfolk coast with Mrs GD (had to stop myself talking about the Coastal marathon too often). We decided we needed to pop home and do some gardening on Monday morning, so I took the opportunity to don my running shoes. Didn't want to keep Mrs GD waiting, so put in a decent effort and did 16 miles @ 6:57 /m :)

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    that's a great effort as a solo training run, Gul  . . . 
  • 10 easy miles this morning. After Monday's run, my estimated VO2 Max went up to 60. Then again my watch also registered my average heart rate as 123bpm, whereas today it was 150. Take it all with a very large pinch of salt.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Back at it last night with a 10 miler in the dark on a route with some new bits as we're now at a new track and we went from there. only 7.24 pace, felt dead easy and chatted all the way but my legs are clearly not fully recovered. Not worried about it, just learning from it for future campaigns.

Cracking 16 miler, Gul.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, been reading not posting the last few days.

Very strong 16, Gul. I don't take as science my watch vo2 or my strava fitness score, however they do move up and down consistent with how I am feeling.

Good to be getting back to it, g Dawg. I forget you are a week in front of me in these matters.

Birch, great xc for your lad. Sorry yours didn't go as you wanted. XC is tough and is probably one of the first things to suffer as age kicks in.

Lorenzo, I did London 17 in the nike zoom streak 6 which is what the elites were wearing before the vaporfly came onto the scene. I tend to use them now for sessions.

OO- good stuff re York. I don't really want to drag the family up there mid January so will travel alone. I have 2 local mates doing it also so I'll have company.

7 miles last night felt clumsy and hard work. 6 over lunchtime felt a touch more coordinated but my hr for the 8mm was a good 5-7 bpm higher than it was pre mara and my garmin tells me I am currently de-training.

Had a stressful day and half sorting out my lads handy work. I had been on at my wife to curb her spending as our credit card was unusually high. I checked it properly on Tuesday to discover that my lad has spent £535 buying vbucks on this stupid fortnite game in the last 10 days!! It turns out that when my wife set the whole thing up she put my lads profile as the adult and mine as the child. Therefore he had complete one click no security purchase powers, whereas if I tried to buy something he would need to authorise it!!! He was genuinely upset by it and said that it just kept coming up on screen offering them to him and he thought they were giving them to him. These packs are £79.99 a pop so I cannot believe that Microsoft feel that it's sensible to allow one click, no cvc number purchases like that. I am now endeavouring to get something back!!

• Stevie you are making it look far too easy , well done on the first of many sub 3's !
    Lorenzo Looks like you are still improving which is great too see .
    GUL an impressive solo run bodes well for the future.
    DT Microsoft do that on purpose as its a huge money spinner ,I know of load of people who got caught that way and by the time you know its a sizable bill,corporate greed at its finest ...

still firmly at zero clicks/week here but will resume running in a few weeks if not before !
  • GD - yes, don't rush the recovery.
    DT - criminal. Hope you can get some of that back. Regarding watches - mine is just consistently inconsistent, so I am just going to ignore it.
    Leslie - you always seem to keep remarkably cheerful and positive - most commendable. I really hope you can shake off the injuries and get back on the road very soon.
    As P&D seems to have gone completely out of the window these last few weeks, I decided to do one of my favourite sessions this morning - some Zatopek style 400m/200m tempo intervals. Did 12 miles in all and 24 reps.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear from you Leslie- chin up.
    Track tonight, it’s been a while...
  • edited October 2018
    Quiet day on here today!
    Good rep session there Gul - you've got more mental strength than me if you can manage 24 reps, regardless of the distance.
    Thanks for the recommendation on the shoes Stevie - called in at a running shop on the way home yesterday and tried on a pair of Cloudflows that felt very comfortable, and you get a £20 discount if you hand in an old pair of running shoes so feels like I might be investing in a pair soon.
    Back running again yesterday with a couple of commuting runs plus this evening's Club Handicap race - Mrs L has regained the bragging rights in the house. :'(