Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    I'm hoping 4:30 and enjoyment are not mutually exclusive :)
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Are you still there, The LG?  Are you still good to resupply at Beddgelert?

Been working on what I'll need and I hope it's OK to outline it here:

Lap 1  Fri 1720   1L water + energy bars (2 max)
    Lap 2  Fri 2345   1L water + 'real' food (cached)
    Lap 3  Sat 0655  1L water + real food (cached)

I don't expect you to be out and about for laps 2 or 3!  We'll agree on a hiding place on Lap 1 behind that wall or somewhere else suitable.  By real food I mean a bag of crisps/sandwich, etc.  I've found a pasty goes down well.  Bear in mind I'm vegetarian.

I'll be able to better handle the water (still mineral water, please) if it is 3 x 1L or even 6 x 500ml bottles.

I hope I can meet you Saturday evening or some other time to sort out the £££.  It could add up to a bit this year.  Or I'll buy you drinks.

Cheers!!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Not too many jitters out there, I hope!  We're all going to have a good day out.
  • Options
    Wow, have just realised this will be my 10th Snod! How did that happen? Glad the injury is behaving itself TRex. Just looked at BBC forecast and there appears to be a glimmer of hope that it isnt going to be lashing it down all day!
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Morning All, 

Did anther xfit class this morning.

Think I should have done less squats, with less weight......Not helped by it being a three second down and a three second hold at the bottom (10 sets of 5). Legs trashed.

I may jump on the 4:30 bus! (Or just jump on the bus at the start!).

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    We often look at XCWeather for our outside shoots and it seems fairly reliable, so I'm pleased to say according to that site this morning, the snow has shifted to earlier and the sun has come out for most of the day with a bit of rain late afternoon. As we all know though, Snod weather doesn't necessarily take any forecast into account!
  • Options
    By the way, the highlights programme this year will be on S4C at 8pm on Sunday 28th (and on S4C and iPlayer catchups for 35 days soon after tv broadcast)
  • Options
    No problem TR. Do you have preferred energy bar? Seem to remember Cliff bars? What is your sarnie and crisp flavour of choice? I assume you will be running the route the opposite way to the race? It might be best to stash the tuck either just before BG or just after as less chance of someone tidying it away. Do you have a preference and I will try to find somewhere suitable before you arrive to save wasting time.
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Planning out look from MWIS.

By the end of this week, winds will turn northerly, and much colder air will extend across the UK. Dropping below freezing point on the Munros, and highest tops in England & Wales into the weekend. Expect upland gales and severe wind chill. Showers focused on north-facing hills will give a covering of snow on the hills. Away from showers, the air will be very clear.

Hadn't heard of XC weather before, looks a good site FOOW. Not sure I like the early Saturday snow forecast though! Should all be gone for us mortals only doing one lap......

04:00
    N13 mphto24 mph4°C1.7 cm
    snow 100 % cloud 1022 mb
    07:00
    N15 mphto26 mph4°C0.5 cm
    snow 67 %cloud 1022 mb

• Options
    It's getting close. My number appears to be 819. I'll be travelling up and registering on Friday.

Round Rotherham left my legs feeling rather trashed after Saturday. 50 miles is a long way to (try to) run. Not to worry though; they have recovered amazingly quickly like they always do. My knees were left feeling tender, especially the right one which I gouged when I fell two weeks before while running CMP Trail Long in Bassano del Grappa, Italy. Now that was a lovely mountain race, like a micro miniature quarter UTMB.

I'm looking forward to meeting old and new friends in Llanberis very soon.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The LG.  Plain stuff as far as you are able, please.  Clif bars, yes.  Crisps = ready salted.  I'll meet you near or at the bottom of the hill on my LHS, northern side of the road.  We'll agree somewhere then for the cache.  I should be reasonably fresh and well within myself on the first lap so I'm not worrying about losing time.  Could be harder than usual spotting you!!

The fourth lap will be a different story.  My main target is the 18-mile cut off point within 4 hours.  After that if I have to walk the rest then so be it.  I'll conjure up some sort of run in the High Street though.  Estimated finish time 1645.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    When and where are we all meeting up after the race?  Doubt I will be back in town until about 1900-1930 after some food and a rest. (And a shower you will be glad to know.)
  • Options
    Ok, TR, no problems. Will see you around 5.20 Friday - I expect I will spot you! Hopefully the local wildlife/other nocturnal marathoners won't run off with your supplies during the night!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    There's a thought - there seems to be rather a lot of them!!
  • Options
    Oh and now the forecast on xcweather is ..snow! Bring it on! How lovely is that :)
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Don't think we've had snow yet, have we?  Don't worry, there will be a fairly well worn trench around the course by the time you get going at 1030.
  • Options
    Snow ball fight at the start ;-)
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    OK, I'm just leaving.  Hope to see you all in Pantri, Pete's Eats, The Heights, or somewhere out on the course at some point this weekend.

Run tall, everybody.
  • Options
    Good luck, T-Rex, have a great time, hope to see you at some stage on Saturday.
  • Options
    Safe trip David. See you tomorrow outside/inside the Pantri. IF we have a clear run on the roads. Setting off at 9.30am.
  • Options
    Just a heads up for everyone. 
    Registration is in a tent 100 meters to the left of Electric Mountain as that building is being renovated. There will be signs.

High Street is blocked at the Heights by construction, so there is no thru traffic. Only walking.

Y Pantri will be open for dinner until 9ish on Friday. 

I’ll be the Yank at registration selling hoodies. I think. Say hello.

Safe travels
  • Options
    Update: Y Pantri will be open until 7:30. Come early for best selection.
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Morning all. 

One more sleep. For most of us. 

See you in Pantri this afternoon.

• Options
    Morning. Journey to the rugged north-west will start soon.

Has T-Rex started yet?
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Hi all, arrived at Padarn. Waiting for my room, Guinness in hand. 

FR+, seem to remember TR saying he was heading off at 14:15?

Be over there in a while.
  • Options

Greetings from the Pantri 👋 From left to right. BritNick, McHilly, PeteThomas6,  Chimney, McHilly, Mrs TRex, and Ultra Disco Stu. Good luck tomorrow everyone. We are waiting for Trex to come through for his first lap completion. He's doing very well and on pace.  
  • Options
    CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Good luck all.
    Green with envy here!
  • Options
    FR+, Trex started out at 14:15. BritNick took some pics! 
  • Options
    Trex through Bedgelert on first lap about 6 mins ahead of plan and looking strong.
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Loving the Trex live tracker...!  Dropped mr panad off at registration about 15:15 then he jogged the couple of miles home as a pre-raceday leg stretcher :D 

hope everyone has a good night, see you in the morning hopefully for what looks like it’ll be a chilly, and possibly bit wintery, start!   Looks like a good day for a long run....