My Last Run

Comments

• Will, I hear you. I am absolutely a fun runner but when I start thinking about how I'm closing in on GFA, it's hard not to take it seriously.
    Enjoy your bird watching!

Endured part 1 of the dentistry yesterday, which was the crown prep (that crown needs to be made now, so I'll be back in 2 weeks for that, plus the fillings). I had a restless night after that - lots of waking up - so ended up going out for a run in the dark at just after 6 and it was light by the time I finished. I did 9 miles and actually felt good, energy-wise, although some niggles surfaced including my lower back - I guess being rather tense in an uncomfortable dentist chair might have been behind that one!
  • Ouch to the dentist and the costs of visiting him / her Cal.  

Hope you get some good bird sightings Will. 

As I'm still improving on my PBs I do take my running pretty seriously.  Sometimes too seriously.  But as I don't have any important races lined up at the moment I should make an effort to relax a bit and not always look at paces and doing a specific mileage. 

6 and a bit miles with my Tuesday group yesterday evening - the last outing we will have in 2018 with some daylight.  Some pink clouds to look at.  Nobody was interested in forcing the pace this week which I was happy about as I could feel my legs still from Sunday's race efforts.
  • Bloody spam is getting ridiculous again.

Stressful workday yesterday - watching a computer move lots of money that doesn't belong to me from A to B - it all ended up in the right place it seems.

Glad to be able to get out in the late afternoon for an 8 miler with a 5k warm up with some drills and strides, then 18 mins at tempo pace (4k) and the rest as a cool down.  Perfect afternoon for running - slight chill in the air, sunshine, almost no wind.  Got through the tempo section in good style.  Interesting to do it as a number of minutes rather than a specific distance.  Kept me occupied working out how far I had left to run based on the splits. 
  • Sounds like a good session, Hazelnut.
    No running yesterday but did two quite tough classes - Vinyasa yoga in the morning and inferno pilates in the afternoon. So I needed a bit of a recovery run today - just 4 miles. I put that off long enough too, as it was raining earlier so I didn't get out until after 10. Not the most fun I've ever had but I got it done, I guess.
  • Valentines parkrun today - a long schlep on the Northern and Central Lines but the park is close to the tube station and it was worth the trip. A very pretty park (I imagine it's lovely when the flowers are in bloom, but it was still very nice with the Autumn leaves. Lots of waterfowl too including a lot of geese and a heron). Also mostly flat, and paved, which I wanted as I needed to try out my new Zoom Fly flyknits (great, by the way - so much more comfortable with the flyknit uppers).
    Ran 25:32 which is a decent time for three weeks post-mara, and 7th lady (but only third in age group - 1st and 2nd ladies were both my age too, and there was a V55 in front of me as well!)
    A really nice parkrun - definitely recommend it.
  • Nike Air Max 720,Cheap Max 720 Running Shoes at www.cheapmax720.com. Hot Sale Nike Air VaporMax,Nike Air Max 270,Nike Lebron 16,UA Stephen Curry 5,Nike Kyrie 4.Kevin Durant 11,Wholesale New Arrival Nike Air Jordan Basketball shoes online.
  • 16 miles in the pissing rain and wind. I have to admit I was cursing my decision to squeeze in another marathon as I could have stayed in the warm if I'd ended my season with Chester. Only got myself to blame for that one.
    As I had my jacket on, and pulled over my watch, I wasn't paying attention to time, either, and ran the last 10 miles at a pace that was MP+15-30 seconds rather than MP+1 minute like I was supposed to. I guess I really wanted to get home as quickly as possible!
  • My last run was yesterday morning on the 27th October 2018. Ran 8 miles along the Imber path in Wiltshire with my running club mates. Really tough on the legs - it felt harder than the road half marathon I did two weeks ago. We watched the sun rise and the moon set. It was so cold! It has reminded me I need running gloves! 
  • Tough long run Cal - well done for getting it done.

Welcome to Firefly from another who suffers from cold hands. 

8 and a bit miles for me yesterday.  Cold and wet here too - but not too windy.  Such a contrast to Thursday when I was running in lightweight shorts.  I needed long tights instead!  I also had cold hands for the first half an hour.  Really enjoyed splashing through some minor puddles and the carpet of multi-coloured leaves in the woods nontheless. 

Longish run in a bit.  Have been waiting for the sleet to stop but will have to put up with a gusty wind instead.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Glad to see you two stalwarts are still knocking out the runs, Cal and Hazelnut. Excellent stuff.

I'm just heading back from Mull, where it's been wet, dry, sunny, windy, calm, warm and freezing cold. No running but plenty of ace hiking, the highlight of which was submitting Mull's Munro, Ben More. 966 metres to the top, over 3 miles of bog, snow and ice. Well worth the effort, although my legs are killing me now, 2 days later. My watch showed I had burnt as many calories as I do in a Half, so a good workout and the most stunning views.

Bird-wise it was quieter than usual, but we still managed some decent ones: White Tailed Eagles, Hen Harriers, Dipper, Whooper Swans, Slavonian Grebe and Great Northern Divers + a couple of Otter. It was all very good for the soul, even when the tent iced up.

So, back to base and to start my marathon training plan. A week off and I'm ready to get serious again! I've spent quite a while putting together my 20 (+) week plan, borrowing bits from a range I've had a look at. Obviously it's the most demanding running I will have attempted to do and I want to get a half decent time, so it's feet to the grind stone. I'm aware there will be tough stages ahead, so I'll be yelling for help and advice :) A few days more to relax, then it's all systems go for Manchester 2019 from Saturday!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • 10k PR @ 50:26, felt comfortable but didn't want to push an acutely developing knee/ shin niggle. Upped my cadence for some relief and noticed a big improvement. Much less pain today (the following day). Half marathon in March 2019, what time should I be aiming for? Initially I wanted sub 2 but now i'm wondering if sub 1:50 would be within reach?
  • Tough camping Will - I find the worst thing about an iced up tent is crawling out of a nice warm sleeping bag to make the necessary cup of tea.  Good birding and well done on bagging Ben More.  
    Nice to see you are excited about getting into your mara training.

Hi to Matt.  Well done on your 10k.   A 1:50 HM sounds reasonably doable if your 10k felt comfortable. You have lots of time to train for March.  Be careful with that niggle.

Longish run for me yesterday - just short of 12 miles in 1:46:35 with reasonably even pacing.  Even colder yesterday - needed gloves and a headband due to the wind.  Saw only one dog walker and one farmer cutting some fresh green forage the whole time I was out - everyone else must have been hibernating.  That run gives me my first 40 mile week since Berlin.  Will continue base training to slowly build up to around 45 miles in the next few weeks.
  • Thank you HazelnutCH, keeping close tabs on any aches and pains .. learnt my lesson with injuries and recovery when I forced myself out of the gym for almost 2 years by continuing to powerlift through medial epicondylitis. Two weeks off is certainly better than two years ..

That's what I was hoping to hear, chasing 1:50 should at the very least get me over the line safely under 2 hours!
  • And congratulations on the 12 miles, I couldn't even imagine covering 45 miles in a week at my current level! Perhaps I need some better music and more interesting routes!
  • Jesus these spammers are getting out of hand.
    Matt (welcome, by the way!) - is it your first half? My 10K PB is currently 51:40 and my HM PB is 1:56:47 (I think!). I was hoping to go under 1:55 this Autumn but couldn't quite manage to maintain the pace needed.
    For you, I'd aim for 1:55 if it's your first one - better to enjoy the race than go out too fast, blow up and spend the last few miles hating life. I've certainly done that before! There will be time after that to whittle away at your PB.

Hazelnut - glad I haven't had to deal with sleet yet. Yuck!

6 miles today. Legs not bad at all. I'm hoping to get over 40 miles this week and hopefully 50 next. Training in between marathons is a tricky business.
    Back to the dentist this afternoon. Sigh.
  • Hi Cal, and thank you. Yes it will be my first half, the London Landmarks. I’d be very happy with 1:55, I’ll keep that target in mind! 50 miles? amazing! I have just rounded up October at 55 miles, my third month of running. Getting accustomed to the pavement before upping mileage. Steady 5k tonight, shaking the 10k PB out of my legs.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Definitely no need to rush into things, Matt - my first year of proper racing I was only running a couple of times a week and my mileage was in the 20s at best. It was only after my first marathon that I started taking it a bit more seriously and run five days a week most weeks. This summer was the first time I've gone over 50 miles.
    Early 10 miler this morning. I'm still in a lot of discomfort from the dentist so I've not been sleeping well. I had a good run, though, and enjoyed going out early.
  • Eased back into it tonight. Still have doms from my mountaineering efforts, so nothing snazzy, just a 3.2 miler at 9:00 min/mi.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello. 9miles today. Very tired. They're digging up pavements everywhere for super fast broadband. Am keeping a few miles ahead of my agitation.
  • You are doing great for just 3 months of running Matt.  My mileage has increased steadily over the last 3 years due to running marathons and the training those involve.  I'm currently planning on maintaining a similar level of mileage but dropping down the race distance to 10k - HM.

Hope the teeth calm down soon Cal.  Nice 10 miler.

Good to see Will and JT. 

A total of 26 miles for me so far this week, running Tuesday to Thursday. Day off yesterday due to a public holiday so did this week's long run of just short of 13 miles in 1:56.  A lake and river combo so mostly flat on a mixture of gravelly paths and tarmac.  Warm in the sun but cool in the shade.  Ran as a one-way with public transport so I had to carry clothing etc.  Rewarded myself with some slices of cake from the tearoom / bakery about 200 metres from my finishing point - yummm.  Rest day today.
  • Hey JT!
    Will, welcome back home. 9mm sounds quite fast, or is that an easy pace for you now?
    That sounds like a nice run, Hazelnut - and cake too!
    Out at 6.30 for 8 miles. Cold, crisp and (once the sun had come up) sunny. Really enjoyed the run although my hip flexor had a twinge when I stopped. Didn't feel it while running, so it's probably something I did in pilates yesterday.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    13.8miles this evening in 1hr44, torched up taking in unlit paths and roads. It's quite nice being in your own cocoon of light against the black. Cold with the crackle of unseen firework shows here and there. Feeling tired a lot.
    As has been posted elsewhere it's possible to clear out some of the spam on this thread. Any post which gets 5 spam flags is automatically deleted. Go to work.
  • Finally, I got my sub-25! 24:53 at Northala Fields parkrun, which may now be my favourite parkrun (not just because I did a good time - it's a lovely park, a one lapper - and has some interesting mounds that were constructed out of the rubble of the old Wembley stadium. Met some nice people too. All in all, a brilliant morning.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Whoop, Cal! Nice work getting your sub-25. Sounds like an interesting Parkrun. I paid a few trips to the old Wembley, most memorably when Norwich won the Milk Cup Final against Sunderland, standing right at the back on a folding stool.

Good to 'see' you again, JT. I'm going to start running with my headtorch as I'll be doing plenty of dark runs now and I've been thinking about safety. I too enjoy the darkness, as long as it's not the stuff that sometimes pollutes my mind.

First day of my marathon training plan today. I've done a 20 week one and then have a couple of weeks spare at the end, to allow for adjustments, illness and injuries. I started with a Parkrun sandwich; 1.5 miles each way there and back with the 5K in the middle. I ran the first lap/mile with my Dad to help him pace his 27/28 mins and then I pushed off to finish in 25:26. All felt good and it was nice to do it as a progression. 

I've settled on the following paces for my training runs. They seem to be about right for me now:

Long/Easy 10:15-10:30 
    Steady 9:30
    LT 9:00
    Tempo/Parkrun 8:00

Quite pleased to be starting off at 14st 4lb (6ft 1ish) and will aim to drop down half a stone or more from there.

Oh and I need new shoes :)

Happy running all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • You're about the same pace as me now, Will - well done to you and your dad.
  • That's good for comparing training,  Cal. Think you're way closer to GFA than me though! I'm good for jellybean :)

A very early 10 miles this morning, 7 of which were under headtorch light. I took the Marriott's Way trail out of Norwich for 5 miles before turning round. Bonus sightings were a Barn Owl ghosting across a meadow and a Kingfisher darting down the river. Got very close to some Tawny Owls too, but they're a bugger to get eyes on. Other visual highlight was a Hooded youth smoking outside Tesco in the pre-dawn darkness. As I passed him, he looked up to reveal full skeleton face make-up. Freaked me. Pace was 10:20 min/mi which I'm happy with. This new focus has definitely raised my spirits. Thank you, running.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Well, Will, that's the advantage of being a woman over 50! I am glad you have shaken off the black dog and are enjoying your runs again.
    No skeletons on my run or even any interesting birds, but I did see an amazing red sunrise during the opening mile of my 21 mile run. I went up through Morden Hall Park, on to Wimbledon Common, down past the tennis to Wimbledon Park, from there back to Tooting Common and then home. Ran it in 3:32:40 which is considerably faster than I was expecting (averaged 10:08, although my paces ranged from 10:54 on a muddy hill down to 9:36 for the final mile) so I guess I am recovered from Chester!
  • I've been at work on the spam as well JT having seen the posts by Lowrez.  Have already had the satisfaction of killing off a few threads.  Nice headtorch running by yourself. 

Well done Cal for your sub 25 parkrun and a very impressive long run on Sunday too. 

For a bit of added safety I've clipped a mini red flashlight to the back of my headtorch strap in particular for when I'm on roads on my own.  Good luck with your marathon plan.  I'm a looking forward to reading about your progress through it. Nice long run by you too.

Saturday evening I got OH out for a run for the first time in a while - he spontaneously decided to buy some trail shoes on Saturday afternoon so he had to try them out.  We have the same make/model but in different colours so we don't do partner look.  Trotted around a woody route with him and then added on another 3 solo around the local fields.  Wildlife spots of the day: 1) a large group of geese flying overhead in a ragged V doing lots of talking.  2) a beaver which hopped across the path and splashed into a small pond a few feet in front of me.  I wasn't sure it was one initially but I checked the location yesterday and the small dam and chewed sticks around confirmed it.

Rare CBA yesterday despite reading about Cal and Will's early long runs and watching a bit of the NYC marathon.  So yesterday's planned 8.5 miles were postponed until lunchtime today.  Did some loops around the local fields, adding in 8 x strides.   Worthwhile waiting until lunch as the fog cleared and the sun came out just as I set out.

Have a good week all.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Great 20+miles Cal.
    8.5miles in vivobarefoots yesterday. 1hr03. I've got a bit of tweak in my calf which the lack of cushioning didn't help. It settled though. 10.6miles tonight in 1hr21. Crescendo of firework displays going off and the air full of mist and smoke. The houses under the diffuse streetlight looked like The Exorcist poster. Out and about with my headtorch. Happened upon an impromptu display and not so far from a sideways flying firework. Purely accidental. Nevertheless the wankers were out in numbers - like the walking dead but less focused. Took a lot of abuse from the opposite side of the river. Genuinely contemplated running back on myself to the closest bridge - wanting to eviscerate the shouty bastard as a universal proxy for wankerhood. But didn't.
    Sorry you've been in a low Will. I'm pleased to hear you have management of it. My absence has been due to a similar thing, but I've kept running in that time. It's a strange experience to wake in the mornings from panic - and to experience the casual internal narrator who describes the storm and asks, "how can you have an anxiety attack when asleep?". It is not easy to resist the decline. But running does offer a respite, sometimes only for hours and at no small physical cost. But still, it's something. The difficulties still resonate, but am much improved.
  • A firework run would have been fun, JT, if not for the wankers.
    Sorry to hear about the anxiety. One of my friends suffers from it and he has been doing a lot better since a change of meds. He drove me up to Manchester and back when I did Chester marathon - something he wouldn't have been able to manage a year ago.

Out at 6.15 for a 10 miler (it wasn't going to be that far but I was enjoying it). Surprisingly warm - I had to take off the jacket I'd worn after a mile. I startled a fox who came out of a front garden as I was passing and then backed away slowly.
    Also passed an abandonned office chair on which some wag had spray-painted a smiley face and the word "banan". I guess they ran out of room for the A. Why? Who knows?