Comrades 2019

Comments

• That's an interesting perspective Mac, hadn't ever considered that measure.  I'd be interested in knowing what the averages are per medal or per hour finished.   

My best 9:18 was ~2.85 my marathon time however if you qualify at the max of 5 hrs then finish Comrades in 12 hrs you'll hit 2.4 which indicates the level of challenge for those that qual at near 5hrs. 
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Long time ago (1980), but my best 8:51 on that down run was 2.4 times my qualifier of that year.  I've looked at my own multiples over the years and found them to be quite predictive.
  • TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    That's interesting Mac.  I was looking around for some race predictors.  If it is 2.7, that's a 4:26 marathon.  I hope to get back down closer to a 4 hour marathon but it is good to have a clear goal.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    My history is:
    3:20 -> 8:48 Down  - OK
    3:10 -> 9:23 Up - collapsed with 4km to go in the heat
    3:4x -> 10:54 Up - very restricted training due to injury
    3:15 -> 10:24 Down - walked the last 22km due to injury

Remember that SA runners will generally qualify in much more difficult condition of heat, altitude and course ascent/descent.  Typically I would expect better conversion of SA runners marathon time to Comrades time.

I always say that you know you start at the right pace when runners from 1 and 2 pens slower are overtaking you at the start (obviously not applicable to the slowest pens) - run intelligently and easily from the start will lead to a good day out.  What I am saying is that start pen is not as important as how you the first half.  Though if you are in a faster pen you have the capability to run faster, but still run easy

• Mac, I remember now about last year, I was getting worked up about whether to try and get into Pen B! As BikeIt says it doesn't really matter it's all about the condition you are in on race day and how you manage your pace on the day (injury aside). I am running a flat out marathon in April, but that is only because that's my main target next year (a marathon PB). If it puts me in Pen B it might actually be detrimental as I want to start slow! Whatever happens at Comrades is secondary as long as I get a medal of some description plus my back to back then I'll be happy. I'll have to look at my conversion ratio, I think I was a bit slower than Coach Parry's prediction (is that 2.5?)
  • Well done Peter R on the best marathon to Comrades conversion ratio! Who knew there was another prize for us to compete for this year :). My ratio was 2.55 for 2018. Flights booked! Not sure if lowrez is too busy with his Ultras spreadsheet to correlate all the Comrades data too, but I'm on KLM flight KL0591 AMS - JNB on Tuesday 4th (back on Sat 15th on AirFrance flight AF0995 JNB - CDG Paris) with hopper flights to/from BHX
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Comrades 2019 Qualification
    27Aug Qualification Starts
    16Sep
    Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
    Berlin (M) Running Rodent-Q4:44-PenH
    24Sep
    Emilia-Romagna, Italy (IM) Peter R-Q3:48-PenB-Going-for-Green
    07Oct
    Chester (M) seren nos-Q4:28-PenG, marty74-Q3:25-PenC
    07Oct
    Bremen (M) Becca7-Q4:28-PenG
    07Oct
    Chicago (M) Mc Hilly-Q4:40-PenH, Slow Duck-Q3:57-PenD(or E)-Going-for-Double-Yellow
    14Oct
    Leicester (M) Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:35-PenC
    21Oct
    Amsterdam (M) Mac3-Q3:20-PenC seagypsy-Q4:20-PenG
    27Oct
    Beachy Head (M) Debra Bourne, marty74
    28Oct
    Marine Corps (M) jkissane
    03Nov
    Thames Meander (M) Southern Snail
    04Nov
    Soweto Marathon (M) Bike It
    18Nov
    Mega Challenge (M) TCP
    23Dec
    Portsmouth Coastal Waterside (M) justanothrrnr, seren nos, Peter R
    06Jan
    Xiamen (M) 1owrez
    17Feb
    Seville (M) Mac3
    25Feb
    100 Marathon Club AGM (M) TCP
    03Mar
    Tokyo (M) Becca7
    17Mar
    Utrecht (M) Mac3
    07Apr
    Manchester (M) seagypsy
    13Apr
    TinT Fortitude (M) TCP
    14Apr
    Boston UK (M) Terry48, Debra Bourne, 1owrez
    14Apr
    TinT Gauntlet (M) TCP
    15Apr
    Boston USA (M)
    15Apr
    TinT Dauntless (M) TCP
    16Apr
    TinT Resolute (M) TCP
    17Apr
    TinT Perseverance (M) TCP
    18Apr
    TinT Adversity (M) TCP
    19Apr
    TinT Intrepid (M) TCP
    20Apr
    TinT Indomitable (M) TCP
    21Apr
    TinT Unbreakable (M) TCP
    22Apr
    TinT Invincible (M) TCP
    28Apr
    London (M) Becca7, 1owrez
    02May Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    09Jun
    Comrades

Accommodation
    Belaire
    Terry48, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Max Mladenovic 2
    Hilton 1owrez, Dannirr, Running Rodent
    Blue Waters jkissane

Flights
    1owrez
    BA/VA MAN-LHR-JNB-DUR ArrJNB7th06:30Dep08:55ArrDUR10:00
    Terry48 AF
    Max Mladenovic 2 KLM/AF BHX-AMS-JNB-DUR ArrJNB4th Ret15th
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    On the listing of flights, what are we actually after recording? I was going for as compact a thing as possible starting with what airline then the hops as general info. I was thinking that we might be looking for arrival dates/times in Dubai, or Joburg as chances of paths crossing, and then arrival in Durbs for taxi sharing etc, so that's what those lines so far are about, but happy to inject anything else in there like flight reference codes, times out from major starting hubs...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

So its Marty and JK this weekend, Marty already in there with a mighty fine qualification from Chester. Good luck both (and Debra!).

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to JK, Marty and Debra this weekend.  Beachy Head is a tough one! I think +45 mins to your regular marathon time.

Lowrez - on your next schedule update, please put me down for Belaire.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Lowrez, you suggested more flight info might be useful.  Although my outward flight is likely earlier than others, the return might coincide with someone else. Flights are AF: 25May 20:10 LHR/CDG/JNB arr 09:55. KLM:12 June dep 23:15 JNB/AMS/LHR.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭

Any takers for Stamford Striders - hilly and good Comrades training! It sells out fast!

The St Valentine's 30k 2019

Entry open Online Entry

Race limited to 750 runners

Date: 17/02/2019
    Time: 11:00

£28.00  UKA Affiliated 
    £30.00  Standard Entry

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Oooh, thanks for the reminder Terry.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Thanks, although not sure how I managed that.  Will have to go back and check my ratios now but my finishes range from 8.43 (down 2014) to 10:05 but my marathon times are pretty similar.

Bike it, I spent the past 6 years living in Angola training in the heat and the hills on the weekends ... made a comrades conversion much easier.  This year all the training will be in the UK, so lets see.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    I look forward to seeing you in Stamford Rebecca.  I'll be marshalling or helping this time. Maybe some others will also visit?
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Entries are now closed!

Mine is 'in the post' and hasn't moved in the last 48 hours.  So 19.2km in 96 hours.  Thankfully I have paid, I have the letter postmarked and it is in the post.  I have the receipt and copies of everything should it not turn up.  Then still to be resolved is my question of athletic nationality.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Best wishes Debra, Marty and JK this weekend.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    In comrades I didn't think anything moved slower than me Bike It, but your entry takes the biscuit (or the salty potato)
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the good wishes, but in reality its just going to be a gentle jog between food stations :):) Might see you there debra?? Reckon around 5 hr+ for me

And have ran the stanmford 30k a good few years back and its a goody....
  • Terry48 said:

Any takers for Stamford Striders - hilly and good Comrades training! It sells out fast!

The St Valentine's 30k 2019

Entry open Online Entry

Race limited to 750 runners

Date: 17/02/2019
    Time: 11:00

£28.00  UKA Affiliated 
    £30.00  Standard Entry

Hi Terry - looks like a great race,  a bit too far a stretch from SW London.  
  • Yes, hopefully we'll see each other: Red-and-white Comrades hat will be worn unless the winds get too strong and threaten to blow it away!
  • Bike it: here's hoping they treat your entry sensibly when it finally does turn up - that's CRAZY slow!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy Beachy.  The last few miles of that are great fun.

Good luck to JK at Marine Corps.

Likewise BikeIt, I hope they play fair with regards to your entry.

My Stamford 30k entry has been submitted.
  • Hey all.

So based on Lowrez's post I have only just realised that I can't use my qualifying time from the start of the year for Comrades. Just as well I am entered into London :smile:

When I signed up I put my 'not actually valid' qualifying time into the form. I assume I just need to run a 'valid' qualifier and update this before 2nd May 2019?

Are there any other intricacies that I need to be aware of?

Flight wise. I'm doing LHR -> DUR direct with BA. 4:45pm on the 6th June out arriving at 5:35 am on the 7th. Back at 7:35 on the 18th.
  • Becca, thanks - had lovely views last year. Forecast for Eastborne says cold but sunny intervals and should stay dry - but it's not always the same up on the tops!
  • Thomas, unless you like nail-biting, I strongly suggest you find a nice little low-key marathon to run in the next 2-3 months and get qualified safely - you can always improve on time & pen position at London, but you don't want to have all your eggs in one basket that late before the end of the qualifying period!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Thomas, I agree with Debra, best to get something under your belt earlier. The other aspect of qualification is the PenC charity boost. You don't need to bust a gut to break 3:40 to get in there, you can cruise in just under 4:50 and collect 6,000 Rand or more in the Race-4-Charity and they'll promote you to PenC. 

London is a wonderful day out if you have already qualified. This year we also had a target to help Terry qualify, a number of things conspired against us, least of all the weather; imagine several of us commencing from varying grid positions on the different coloured starts attempting to join up into an entourage somewhere a few miles in and then pace for a sub5. Jar and Terry succeeded in converging and made a valiant attempt but didn't quite pull it off. It made me think of The Reason by Hoobastank as a comparable level of complexity and luck required for things to go perfectly. Despite not getting the result we desired it was still an amazing day out 

• thomasclown I'm on the same flight as you but a day later... we decided to go out a bit later this year and have 2 whole weeks after the race.. :)
    Agree with debra about trying to get a qualifyer done sooner rather than later