Saturday 27th October 2018 - I still don't know what I was waiting for

Morning.

Lyrics - I still don't know what I was waiting for

It's a cold start here today and forecast to be a bit breezy. At least with the clocks going back overnight tomorrow will have a bit more of a chance to warm up before I'm stood shivering on the start line. Today I shall be glad that I don't need to head out for long and can be over dressed.

What:            a short run
Why:             10k tomorrow
Last hard:     staying enthusiastic about the 10k
Last rest:      14/10

Yesterday's lyrics - Stupid Girl by Garbage.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• LMH/Chick: Certainly has changed, it was glorious yesterday up until about 12:30, as soon as I got out and ran about .25 mile and was on cinder track heavens opend in true biblical style, hasn't stopped since. It's a northernly wind so quite biting.

Was a nice 10 yesterday, well 9 miles was, I think I was too close to home and had to loop to do the extra 1 mile, did think I'll leave it there at 9 because I can now, but then thought, well I'm this far in might as well do as intended.

What: Gym day today
    Why: Due a lifting session
    Lyrics: Aye
  • Wind dropped to 20mph here - seems as if bad weather has gone south. Not that it's great here, but hey it's winter!

Leisurely parkrun shortly
    Saturday and tapering
    Last hard yesterday
    Lyrics no
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

What: leisurely parkrun (almost)

Why: long run for the week (almost). Burnage: around 25:55 so no doubt that will officially be just over 26 minutes. 2 degrees and it snowed briefly! Never really got warm despite lots of layers including tights, two thermal tops, hat and gloves! Am officiating at the uni relays later: not looking forward to it unless there is a major increase in temperature!

Saw a fair amount of snow in Durham on the weather forecast and also wonder what it will be like for the Snowdonia marathon which starts in half an hour: I know a couple of people running; just hope it stays dry.

Edit: official time 25:57, fastest on this course this year...which doesn't say much! 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • It says that you're making progress Alehouse!

I'm like that when I'm running Benjy - always like to finish what I set out to do and have a tendency to run round numbers too.

Glad you have some better weather OH - but no need to send the bad stuff this way!

Even though it was late by the time I got out for my run (having done the weekly shop and walked Grace) it was still very cold, that biting wind that Benjy mentioned. Not one of my four measly miles was anywhere near as fast as I need to run all of tomorrow's race if I'm going to PB..............
  • Northerly wind was actually quite brisk and bitterly cold for parkrun.
    Not a fast one despite unashamedly drafting on last lap.
  • Afternoon!

Just back from uni relays. Very cold working on the finish, but was very well wrapped up. Managed another few kms whilst setting up and taking down the course...for which I was then over-dressed!

Tomorrow, LMH...you can't PB every time, but you can certainly try to! Lots of variables at play come any race day, not least the weather and the course. I'm sure you'll give it everything! I'm sure you know the first k or so will be hard, especially on the breathing, but you also know that you are strong and I can see you gaining confidence as you pass people the further the race goes on. Won't wish you good luck as you don't need any!

And well done at parkrun, OH: I can imagine it wasn't very pleasant.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hope you've warmed up Alehouse - the wind has been bitterly cold here. My 10k PB is two years old and the whole point of racing tomorrow is to beat it - whether I will or not of course remains to be seen. I don't imagine I shall be passing many as I'll be starting pretty near the front, going off too hard and trying to hold on!

Quiet in here today.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone.  

Well done at the parkrun Alehouse.  

Had a good wee run at the National XC relays today in Cumbernauld, running 14:56 for the 4K course, my best time for 10 years.  Good conditions mind you ground was fairly solid.  

Lyrics, yes.

• Older and faster is the way to go - well done Donaldo!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Good luck tomorrow LmH
    Don - Hope Teenage Fan Club were good, seem them a few times back in the festival days, never top of my list but always lively.

Been off the PC for a couple of days: admin on Thursday including taking the car in for repairs. Opportunity to do an hour run on unfamiliar turf.

Friday was off work too (using up leave) and had a whole list of stuff to sort out both athletics wise and in the garden. Sneaked in a 5 miler but legs still heavy, so been stretching and poking and prodding. Just slight irritation knee through the hamstring that stops me attempting anything fast. 

Tomorrow's XC will be an amble. Have kids XC in the afternoon so will be on the feet a lot. 

Rested today (if you don't count wandering round the shops).

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

Cough almost gone but been taking it easy running wise. Parkrun this morning with 26:27, not bad for 2 weeks post marathon and a cough.
    Then spent all afternoon painting radiators, skirting and windowsill, second coat tomorrow.

Cold here. Some snow on way home from parkrun.

I know the lyrics!

Good luck tomorrow lmh.

Have a lovely evening all