Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed you get back at it soon, Leslie.

Gul, nice session!

Lorenzo, you're in better shape than me if you can even contemplate a club handicap.

I'm up to 18 miles this week, though nothing faster than about 8.15 average. Hoping to push to 30.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Interested to hear about any new shoes being bought. I've always had mild support shoes, currently sporting Asics GT2000 v6 but after wearing neutral shoes on the trails (Inov8 Talon 250), I'm wondering about mixing things up a bit on the road to help the continual sore Achilles tendons. I've read advise that says always mix and not quite match. 

WFH today as had to drop the car in for its MOT. Took the long way home and bagged 5 miles at 6.50 pace. Was surprised at the fisrt mile being 6.55, so kept everything at sub-7.
    Not quite 3 weeks since Chicago but still feeling a tad sluggish in the legs department. May also be putting on weight but a bit scared to get on the scales just in case a big number appears.

15 super easy on the trails planned with a mate tomorrow morning. have a good weekend all.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Not much of a taper so far, I’ll probably end up at 50 miles this week. Keswick parkrun tomorrow. Anybody racing this weekend?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    2nd XC fixture, OO . . .
  • Lorenzo - the 400m intervals were pretty relaxed (somewhere around 10k pace effort), so not particularly onerous which certainly helps. Good luck in the handicap tonight!
    DT - recovering nicely.
    GD- nice sub 7 running. Enjoy the trail running tomorrow.
    OO - is it still 2 weeks to go to NY? My first taper week is coming up and I'm not planning on making much of it until the weekend when I'll cut back the long run a bit.
    Birch - enjoy the XC - hope it goes well.
    10 easy miles this morning. Hoping to do my last 20+ miler of the campaign tomorrow.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes a yes a week Sunday Gul. I’ll go off-road this Sunday to save the legs
  • I pop in and out of Strava (though use Garmin as my reference platform) and normally click on the monthly running distance challenge. Last month, I must have mis-clicked and I did the climbing and the distance challenges (200km distance and 2,500m climb) and I finished both. I thought nothing much about it and clicked the same this month and that climbing one is a bugger. I am at 2,009 metres so far so need another 500 to hit the target. As my weekday runs are up and down the Thames it means a hill hunt this Sunday.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’m running 3 marathons over the next 15 days, starting tomorrow. This will bring my marathon or ultra total to 74 and I’ve another 3 planned before the end of the year. All going well I should reach my 100 goal in 2020. B) 

I’ve looked through the results and out of the 58 road marathons, I’ve went sub 3:15 45 times. Most of the slower marathons were back to backs or when I was a novice. Berlin was my 20th sub 3 after only having a PB of 3:10 after 8. I don't have my much talent but I try hard! :smile:

Good luck to any other racer over the weekend!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I find Strava addictive enough without going near this challenges PMJ.
    impressive stats Badbark. If I get round NY it will be my 5th and final this year thank heavens!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Great stats Badbark. Good luck with the pending races. 

Good luck with the 20, Gul. 

Nice going, gdawg. 

yes I also try to avoid Strava challenges. 

6 miles over lunch with 3 at mp. First time I've ran faster than 8mm since Yorkshire. 6.52 for 159hr. Not great but it'll come. 

Just looking at the Berlin ballot. Anyone know what the deferral process is if you get in? I want to do it in 2020 so thought I'd give myself two goes at the ballot if it's easy enough to defer. 
  • OO - 5 in one year is going some (not by Poacher or Badbark standards of course).
    PMJ - obviously not planning a visit to your parents this weekend then ;)
    Badbark - glad to hear you're taking it easy in your old age ;) Good luck today.
    DT - sorry, no idea about Berlin and deferrals.
    20 miles done and dusted. First 10 @ 8:18 /m and last 10 @ 7:23 /m.
  • Gul Darr said:

PMJ - obviously not planning a visit to your parents this weekend then ;)

20 miles done and dusted. First 10 @ 8:18 /m and last 10 @ 7:23 /m.
    Not this weekend, but maybe next weekend. A few months ago, Dad was finding it hard going uphill and getting out of breath (he is 82) so he had a chest x-ray. The chest looked fine but the consultant noticed his kidneys were different colours in the x-ray so passed him on for referral (thank goodness we didn't get an NHS jobsworth) and they found one kidney with suspected cancer so they took it out on Thursday so we may be up to visit during his convalesce to give Mum a break.

Great 20 there: I've was pleased with 10 @ 8:06 pace on the Nottingham riverways last Sunday but stopped at that and didn't step it up for another 10 afterwards. Looks good for the marathon.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

PMJ – Sorry for your Dad having to have a kidney removed, but glad that everything has went well. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Gul – Great P&D style 20 miler

DT – Good 6 miles, and your HR is bound to be higher after taking it easy for a while.

OO – 5 marathons is very good in a year. It’s only nut jobs like me who do more than that!

I finished the EAMS Loughshore Marathon today in about 3:03:40 hitting my 7 m/m pace average goal perfectly. I did have to work pretty hard, as my legs weren’t feeling great throughout. I’ve run over 150 in the last fortnight so it was un-tapered. 

I finished 2nd with the winner running 2:55 and his first sub 3. I spoke to him at the end and he was well chuffed with his first sub 3, having a 3:00:14 previous PB. That result must have stung!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice 20 gul. 

Speedy recovery to your father, pmj.

Badbark, nice disciplined mara. We're you not tempted at 20 to kick on for sub 3? 3.03 must be pretty comfortable for you. 

First spin class in 4 weeks this morning. Hard work. I'm on hissy next week until Friday so one more light week then need to start training properly. 

I noted Berlin next is 29th September which is doable for me so I entered the ballot and the deferral arrangement is similar to London. Anyone who complains about rave prices here should look at Berlin.....161 euro!!!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

Badbark, nice disciplined mara. We're you not tempted at 20 to kick on for sub 3? 3.03 must be pretty comfortable for you. 

Nope, quite the opposite! I might have managed sub 3 with 100% effort but 3:03 was hard enough. As mentioned, I didn’t taper and my legs weren’t great. I’ve run easier 2:55 marathons on fresh legs. My average pace was 6:54 going into the last 10k but slowed even with higher effort. I’m happy enough with my 46th sub 3:15. :) 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice final (?) 20 of the campaign, Gul . . 

nicely done, Badbark . . .    (seems inadequate comment, but the Bad(bar)k is set high these days  :)  

easy 7 this morning.
  • Gul - I'm just amazed anyone can fit in 20 miles and then be able to post before 7am! Good bit of progression there.
    Nice going Badbark - sounds as though you had everything very much under control
    DT19 - if it's any consolation it was $240 to enter Boston but I figured that it was something I just had to do. The trip is falling nicely into place with Philadelphia, New York and Cape Cod on the itinerary before heading to the Expo. Hoping to get to see the Red Sox in action as well.
    Birch - I'll be up in Sheffield in mid January for Mrs L's graduation ceremony (she's just completed a Masters on a distance learning course at Sheffield Uni) and we'll be staying up on the Friday night so would seem rude not to do the parkrun. Sheffield Hallam looks to be the most convenient from where we'll be staying but we'll have the car so if you've got any recommendations that would be great. Which one do you tend to run at?
    Mole Valley parkrun for me this morning - the first time I've driven there and done it on fresh legs for a while so managed to get a 30s course PB.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Just back from the sticks. Belated, but huge, WELL DONES to Stevie and Lorenzo. Top running. Abo really is the place for an autumn PB.

Lorenzo - +1 for the Adizero - my shoe of choice.

Gul you are on fire.

No running for me, except when I got up a few nights ago and nearly trod on a scorpion which was apparently living in the bedroom, along with some cockroaches, grasshoppers, ants etc.  Fortunately, the scorpion was quite small, and even more scared than me so it legged it to a hidey hole under some furniture. New year resolution: find a more sensible job. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Lorenzo - congrats to Mrs L on her Masters - and a wonderful place to graduate ;)    

yes, Hallam is the one I tend to do - its a mile or so to jog down there for me (I'm just up the road from the main (redbrick) University building. It's certainly the most popular, in terms of numbers.  Hillsborough is a decent one, in a pleasant park (3 lapper), and is 3 miles away. There's a few others, too - Graves is a lovely park (tough course).   If you choose Hallam, and would like a few slow miles beforehand, I often set off from the venue at 7:30 with chums.   

Poacher - not sure you and "sensible" go together  . . .  

well, XC #2 today -perfect conditions, but it was a DNF for me.  Had a low-level bug all week, but 7 yesterday morning felt ok, so decided to still toe the line. Of course, racing is a completely different matter - after 2 minutes I was, in horse racing terms, "sweating up", and after nearly one lap (of 3) completed, was struggling badly , and stepped off, where I had a massive coughing fit.  Probably  the correct decision (my son says so, but maybe he's being kind)    - but DNF doesn't sit well with me, and I feel as though I've been "weak" . . .    
  • Birch, a DNF is a hard call but almost always the right call. There is definitely a swing in behaviour from the old days. Then a DNS meant you had fallen ill big time on the day of the race and now it means there are forecasts of showers: the no-show rate at events is huge. Now a DNF can mean weak but that is only used by people who look at running events as a matter of completion: "I've done a 10k and am working towards a half." For regular runners, a race is a race and completion is not the goal and if you are below par due to illness etc then a DNF is a sensible route to come back stronger another day.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    From the sound of it, Birch the DNF was definitely the right thing to do, seems you were proper rough. And, being a XC event, no medal to get, so no point in run/walking anyway.

Colder temps this weekend which made layer choices difficult for the 15 miler on the trails on Saturday. It was a lovely morning and my pal and i just chatted and trotted to an easy 8.08 pacer. I say easy, my legs are still in recovery. When I did that route before Chicago, it was quicker and felt easier.

Hit the trails again yesterday to recover a bit but mainly to continue the monthly miles total as I should hit 100 miles per month for every month this year, a first for me. Felt quicker yesterday than Saturday and averaged 7.11.
  • Been reading rather than posting so just having a catch up:

Gul - You are flying! When is the marathon again? It must be almost taper time

DT - Did you manage to get anything back from Microsoft? I've seen a few people get stung like that on iPads as well, the companies don't seem to want to do anything about it though as its easy money! Good luck in the Berlin ballot, I've entered as well although I'm sure it was only €125!

G-Dawg - You are ticking over nicely since Chicago. Whats the next target?

OO - How is the taper going? I hope the knee is feeling OK now.

Lorenzo - I tried the cloudflyers on last week as well, really impressed. May consider them as a new long run shoe when my Ultraboosts die.

PMJ  - I hope your father recovers well

Badbark - As usual an excellent marathon! Good luck for the next two

Birch - The DNF sounds sensible, hopefully the bug disappears soon and you can get back to it.

Had an easy and relaxed week off last week. Legs felt remarkably good post marathon but played it safe. Went for a swim Tuesday and an easy 4m on Thursday plus a round of golf. By the weekend I didn't even feel like I'd ran a marathon. Did 7 yesterday at 8.06mm/133BPM so I seem to have recovered well.

Spoke to Lewis to set a plan and goals for the next few months. Going to do some 5k work to try and tick off my sub 18 5k goal for the year then I will start the Manchester campaign at around Christmas.

• Congrats again to Stevie and Lorenzo on great results at Abingdon.

Badbark - insane levels of mileage as usual, well done on a solid result at the weekend.

PMJ - sorry to hear your news, hoping for a swift recovery and all-clear going forward.

Lorenzo - I also recommend the Adizero range, I love my Bostons for almost all my running; though I usually race on the Nike's; I find the Bostons a great "do-everything" shoe and my housemate loves his Adios.

Finally back on it 2 weeks after squirrel-gate, the chafe zone finally was manageable by Thursday have been able to get my legs moving

Thurs - 10miles inc 1km intervals with the club (@ 3:25ish)
    Sat - 6 inc. Parkrun - heavy legs after gym session so a slow struggle up the hill
    Sun - 10km Tyntsfield Trust trail run - hilly race organised by National Trust through a nice estate, 2 x 5km laps. Wasn't prepared for the first mile being continuous uphill so struggled a bit to get warmed up. Came in just over 50 minutes; which I was happy with as just out there for the experience and to break in the Innov8s before Gower.

Hope to get out to club progression run tonight; some intervals and a long run towards the end of the week as friend's wedding at the weekend.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    PMJ - sorry to hear about your dad. At least the suspected cancer was discovered and he had the kidney removed promptly. Hope he is recovering well.
    Badbark - well done. Very impressive on tired/untapered legs.
    DT - how much?! Don't think I'll be running Berlin any time soon then.
    Lorenzo - congrats to Mrs L on completing her masters and to you on your course PB. I think I'll be sticking to UK marathons unless I come into a large sum of money :)
    Poacher - nice of you to share your room. 
    Birch - right decision and NOT weak.
    GD - yes, definitely time for an extra layer most mornings now.
    Stevie - yes, taper started today (or yesterday if I was being pernickety). Sounds like a good plan to target sub 18 before you begin your next marathon campaign.
    nick - good training in the bag there.
    Took a rest day yesterday (68 for the week). As mentioned, now in first week of the taper, but won't be cutting back much until the weekend, when I will do 16 or 17 miles for a final long run. 10 miles this morning, with 5 x 1km-ish intervals. GPS only measured them as 0.58 miles. 4 in 3:37 (and 1 in 3:35) , which therefore might be anything from 5:46 to 6:10/m.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    All good here. Rounded off last week with 53 so a slight taper. All packed and journey to NY starts this pm with a flight to London. No major fitness worries nor massive expectations. Planning to just enjoy NY and will aim for a time between 3:05 and 3:10. Hope my accommodation is better than yours Poacher, and sorry to hear about the disappointing XC Birch.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    poacher, sounds grim!

Stevie, yes full refund and he has kept all the crap he bought. it's 125 plus 6 euro for chip I think then I paid 30 euro for finishers t shirt. Sounds promising re recovery and plan.

Birch, as others have said, it's not a dnf in the way it's become. you were racing and it wasn't going right. 

Oo, with all those sand bags I'm surprised there's room for your kit!!!! good luck and enjoy the trip. 

Gul, is this how you always taper? just wondering if this could be a link to why you don't seem yo have run a marathon to replicate your fitness and training?

Nicko, good going though don't break yourself with too much too soon. 

Lorenzo, congrats on course pb and the daughters masters. 

g dawg, nice going. 

With the clocks going back I was up early yesterday with kids so went out at 8 and got an easy 9 in before mini rugby. Felt much better than any other post mara run. gave me 33 for week. 

I am now on holiday all week in South Wales but got some kit to tick over. Got a 10k next Sunday so won't have the best prep!  looking forward to getting back to some normal routine next week. 

• DT - Glad you got a refund. Ah yes I forgot about the T-Shirt, I decided against it, I'll pick one up at the Expo if I really want one. Got plenty of them though! Apparently the odds are getting in are much better than London, I'm sure I read something around 1 in 2 get in. I was severely tempted by Chicago as I now have GFA but I think I will leave that for 2020.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I know id regret not having a t shirt if I left it. I applied last year so technically on those odds I should get in this year!!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks, Philip - and others , re the DNF. beautiful day here - still feeling rough, but wondering whether to head out for easy paced few miles . . .

OO - bon voyage ;  enjoy NY !

DT - good time usage, have a pleasant week  . . .

Gul - good session there, whatever the pace.  DT may have a point - eg, imo, nothing to gain by 16 or 17 a fortnight out, given the weekly volumes & number of 20's bagged.   maybe 13 ,  then a 10 or so a week before ?  
    Whatever , well done on the excellent campaign, and may you negotiate the taper without too much craziness :)
  • OO - have good flights and a nice week in New York before the race. 
    DT - have a good holiday. I have usually done a run of 16-18 miles at the end of the first week of the taper. P&D says 17 miles, I'll probably do 16, which is 80% of 20. Mind you, if everyone is of the same opinion, maybe I'll rethink and cut it back even more. (Incidentally in the week leading up to my 3:13 in training last November, I did 17, 9, 11, 8 ,13, 5, so maybe tapering is overrated!)
    Birch - hope you're feeling better soon - don't over do it!