Back and leg pain during and after running

Hi,

I'm still very much a novice at running, (ran a few 10k's and half marathons a few years ago - wasn't in good shape after the half's), but am trying to get back into it at the moment.

I have a recurring problem where, when I am running (specifically uphill), I get a pain in my lower back (in the fleshy bit at the right hand side), and after a couple of hours - after sitting down, I get major pains in my upper leg, buttock and back of my knee. When walking it sometimes sort-of "gives way". Once I'm up and about walking, its fine. This happens everytime I run.

I've been to various physio's and chiropractors, with no luck so far.

I just wondered if anyone could recommend some specific stretches, or even a back brace (or something similar) or trainers to wear?

I'm currently using a pair of Asics Gel Kayano running trainers.

I have no problems with my left side at all, just right.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Stewart

Comments

• HI Stewart - if the physios or chiropractors haven't been able to get to the source it might be an idea to have a gait analysis done to check that your runners are suitable for you. 
  • Hi,

Yeah I have had a gait analysis done, and don't seem to have any issues and my shoes should be suitable for me.

I have been looking at ON Running shoes as my new ones (when I come to replace them), as I'm hoping that it would reduce the shocks on my leg?

Thanks,
    Stewart
  • Hope you figure it out. I hurt my back doing a 10k a couple of months ago and been totally put off running because of it.

I've ran once since and it was excruciating. 

May try again soon. 
  • i wouldn't look to shoes to necessarily sort this for you. Asics Kayano are very stabilising & have a tonne of cushioning.

are you doing any strength exercises? yoga? pilates? you may well have some imbalances if the pain is on one-side, and this may be helped by some general strength work. 

taking it very easy - like 5 mins running with 5 mins walking, repeated, may be the way to go until you can run without pain. Your current efforts may be too much for you right now. 

i would definitely find a local, sports physio to give you some specific exercises to do. 
  • Good to hear that the physio hasn't found anything, and that the gait analysis is fine.. 

My suggestion which may help would be to firm up the following groups of muscles, back, legs, hip's,glutes, core... 

Do some core exercises, especially planks... add in some deadlifts ideal for the back and legs and also squats for the legs and, then add in some abductor exercises for the hips/glutes. It may take a while...but that's what I would concentrate on for the next 3 months... then after 3 months try running again..

I was on the verge of giving up running a few years back with what the physio thought was an IT band issue, it wasn't getting any better no matter what stretches and exercises I did. I then hit the weights in the gym, and strengthened up all the major muscle groups... last year I completed a marathon and this year I've done numerous runs from 5k up to 1/2 marathons, and run depending on what races I have coming up 3/4 times a week.

Good luck

• > @dave turpitt said:
    > Do some core exercises, especially planks... add in some deadlifts ideal for the back and legs and also squats for the legs and, then add in some abductor exercises for the hips/glutes. It may take a while...but that's what I would concentrate on for the next 3 months... then after 3 months try running again..
    >

Compound moves such as deadlift are great. I had a similar problem, and when doing deadlifts, I could feel it in my lower back. Now, after a couple of years of doing them, I don't get the lower back pain, so certainly something worth considering/
  • > @StuMcBill said:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm still very much a novice at running, (ran a few 10k's and half marathons a few years ago - wasn't in good shape after the half's), but am trying to get back into it at the moment.
    >
    > I have a recurring problem where, when I am running (specifically uphill), I get a pain in my lower back (in the fleshy bit at the right hand side), and after a couple of hours - after sitting down, I get major pains in my upper leg, buttock and back of my knee. When walking it sometimes sort-of "gives way". Once I'm up and about walking, its fine. This happens everytime I run.
    >
    > I've been to various physio's and chiropractors, with no luck so far.
    >
    > I just wondered if anyone could recommend some specific stretches, or even a back brace (or something similar) or trainers to wear?
    >
    > I'm currently using a pair of Asics Gel Kayano running trainers.
    >
    > I have no problems with my left side at all, just right.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Stewart

Hi. This is so me. Whenever I go for a mile, I would experience a sharp pain behind my back. I think it is due to inactivity for a long time.
  • I can't post a link yet, but look up "Daily Dozen Exercises" and select the link for wta.org. I've found that doing these a couple of times a week makes a huge difference to my back pain. I use a simple interval timer app on my iphone to keep track. An excellent warm-up before a run or a quick mini workout in its own right!