Options

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Options
    Good luck jkissane Debra and Marty. Apparently the cliff edge has a massive crack in it at Beachy Head :o   

Scary how quickly the Comrades entries sold out. I was a little sad to see that. No going back now.

They're going to have a real problem in years to come with entries and back to back and green numbers. Have to set some aside for those people I guess, a bit like they've done for novices in 2020. Definitely going to get more difficult.

Lowrez - How's the leg rehabilitation going? Are you doing any exercises!!! I'm cracking the whip from afar :)
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    SS, there's always a chance for climbing back in through the transfer window!  :)
  • Options
    Thanks all for the insights.

Whilst ‘putting my eggs in one basket’ is of course unwise I have over time worked out that one tough training cycle and one serious marathon per year is my limit. Whilst still nursing a shin issue I am intending to stick with just running London to qualify. I am in the fortunate position that based on previous marathon efforts the Comrades qualification time is easily attainable and should I not be in a state to finish well in London I probably wouldn’t be wanting to run Comrades anyway.

I’m weird in that I am always competing. A lot of my friends run marathons monthly/weekly ‘just for fun’ and a social event. When I get to a start line for some reason I cant NOT race :s

I actually did London this year and also tried to meet a friend in a different wave to pace them. It did not happen in the end and involved stopping for 4 minutes. Turns out they changed the start process and all the waves started at different times. I agree, that race was brutal.

Serennos. My flight arrives on the 7th. You’re flying to Durban a day later? Cutting it fine? :P
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Stick with what works best for you for sure Thomas, there are a myriad of ways to do this. I like to use a few marathons across the year simply as long training runs. Its great to know you can cruise 26 miles with a ton of support out there and not have to don a camel pack and a ruck sack full of supplies to keep yourself going. I too love running strong when I have the beans and have blown up early in many an event due to over enthusiasm, sometimes when you've got it, its hard not to flaunt it.

SS please do keep cracking that whip, I really need it :) Luckily we have a new starter at work who is really into crossfit, he's not a runner, but used to own a gym, he is sooo fit! First thing he asked me to get when he arrived was a long broom handle! He hardly sits at his desk at all, he's stood up or squatting and using his stick to get into all sorts of contortions and strains. He's got me using resistance bands and waddling and squatting. Yesterday I ended up laying on the floor being contorted into a weird hip release manoeuvre that had my upper hip on the left side at the rear crying in pain and then all of a sudden the hip on the opposite side near my spine went "crunch", OMG! There was no pain but the movement release was ridiculous. Then someone came in the room and told us to stop making love on works time! I am doing more of the same this evening but its a pale shadow of the pressure you can get with someone basically standing on top of you forcing your bones apart. Whilst I am talking a good talk there I have actually done very little of this over the past few weeks and not done any running either. I better get me skates on if I am to sub 4:50 on Jan 6th, part of me is not really bothered if I don't make that mark though, I plan to run a few more in the qualifying window.

Terry is right you know, the transfer window is always there if you decide you need to run Comrades :) Will you aim for sub 4:50 anyway on the Thames run?

• Options
    thomas .. usually arrive in durban Thursday morning/ lunchtime

This year arriving at the crack of dawn on the Friday.. will have a pleasant drive looking at a few sites into Durban and then go the expo... I dont hang around long there.. before putting my feet up in my hotel resting for the rest of the day... Will drive out saturday morning to do parkrun and look at the wall of honour before putting my feet up for the rest of saturday afternoon and evening.. early start Sunday  :)
  • Options
    > @seren nos said:
    > thomas .. usually arrive in durban Thursday morning/ lunchtime
    >
    >  This year arriving at the crack of dawn on the Friday.. will have a pleasant drive looking at a few sites into Durban and then go the expo... I dont hang around long there.. before putting my feet up in my hotel resting for the rest of the day... Will drive out saturday morning to do parkrun and look at the wall of honour before putting my feet up for the rest of saturday afternoon and evening.. early start Sunday  :)

Sounds like the perfect plan but I am a little confused as I am arriving at the crack of dawn on the Friday too. Are you sure we are not on the same flight out? :P

> @1owrez said:
    > Stick with what works best for you for sure Thomas, there are a myriad of ways to do this. I like to use a few marathons across the year simply as long training runs. Its great to know you can cruise 26 miles with a ton of support out there and not have to don a camel pack and a ruck sack full of supplies to keep yourself going. I too love running strong when I have the beans and have blown up early in many an event due to over enthusiasm, sometimes when you've got it, its hard not to flaunt it.

I wouldn't say 'cruise' :) 26 miles (or more) is always a long way and I certainly don't scoff at the distance. In fact I've never finished a marathon and thought 'lets do another x miles' which is part of the appeal of Comrades. I want to do more than a marathon.. and if you are doing 'more' why not do 2 and a bit marathons uphill :smile:

I've just always been one to derive my pleasure from hitting goals. That post run euphoria can not be mimicked by anything else. Knowing that all the hard work paid off etc.

In my mind London/Comrades are my 'last big hurrah'. Aim high and hopefully achieve my goals and then afterwards maybe target more 'running for fun' or possibly coaching.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thomas, there is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Comrades Marathon... I must warn you that if you step into this dimension you may never return... Southern Snail is under the delusion she has escaped... Debra thinks she is running SDW instead... I only stepped in, like you, to see if I could do it... I think that was in 2015... but I don't really remember...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thomas, the danger with just going for the one is that there is this thing called the "back to back" medal, only achievable in your second year having successfully completed your first... could you walk away from that? I only know one person who did; she is called PG2, an amazingly well adjusted athlete who has never looked back in doubt since, she is the strongest person I know. Then having gained your back to back the prospect of a permanent green number is dangled in front of you if you go on to do ten completions, and of course there are the myriad of different coloured metal medals to collect depending how fast you can cover the ground...
  • Options
    I admit to the lure of the green number - and of the new sub-10 medal. But more that that is the camaraderie. I ran Comrades for the first time (despite preferring trail to road and low-key to large events with crowds and everything) because I'd promised Bruce Fordyce I would. It's the camaraderie that has me regretting the fact I won't be there in 2019.
  • Options
    Lowrez - sounds like you're in good hands at work :) IF I run Thames Meander on Saturday I would definitely aim for 4h50 but in all honesty I don't think I'll even go to the start line. I've run so little. Every time I've planned a longer run I've been thwarted by various things vets/hospitals etc so I've not even been running as often. Longest run since Comrades is 13 miles middle of September with 3 weeks off after sunning myself in the East. I'm also out with friends the night before (which will involve too much alcohol!!!) So... as I say everything has conspired against me

Thomas - running for fun is, I think, essential, but that can still be done whilst serious training. As Lowrez said there's the back to back. A very serious contender that you'll find difficult to ignore and Debra's right. One of the main things is the camaraderie, of everyone here as well as everyone at and during the event

• Options
    Lowrez,  the strongest person you know and the one that got away is better known as PG3 (you've demoted her a full level)...tut tut!

I did a quick search and no PG3 posts on RW since wishing us luck before this year's race.  That's a shame but was she returning to iron-man - or did I make that up?
  • Options
    ps.  strange being greeted with my own mug on a Monday morning!  I won't be back running London again this year but love supporting just as much anyway.  
  • Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Little bit belated... Had a great time at Beachy Head Marathon on Saturday. It was rather chilly at the start, but otherwise near-ideal conditions. Beautiful sunshine, views... I wasn't going for a good time, and scraped in at a chip time of 4:48:29. Did manage to bump into others of this parish, as well as lots of other people I know.
  • Options
    Well done Debra. Definitely cold on Saturday
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I spent the weekend at a bush farm to celebrate my birthday.  I ran twice of which once with my son on his bike and it quickly became uncyclable for him and I had to push/carry his bike.  I managed 1.5 hours on Sunday solo. Like all close encounters, I didn't have my camera to hand but came close to kudo, wilderbeast, impala, giraffe and warthog.  It was very hilly with a vein of slate going through, which was predictably slippy.  I manage to twist each ankle twice for symmetry.  I now have a calf strain on the left calf and deep acacia scratches on my right thigh.  I only fell down once. 
  • Options
    Happy Birthday BI!   Wish it was under less injury prone circumstances

Well done Debra - good run
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

That sounds like a proper birthday run Bike It - Happy Birthday and well done - just enough time to recover for Soweto now.

Another Comrades qualifying time there Debra :)

PG3 - of course Jar! I have kept in touch with her and she is indeed Iron Manning, she aced a halfIM the other week in pb time!

SS - all those activities count as fitness improving - I suspect you will cruise to a sub 4:50 - we have seen alcohol improving athletic ability on several occasions recently. Even if you break a leg, like I was just going to tell you to do, I expect nothing less than this level of commitment from you :) Further explained here with further Japanese context here including other dehydration woblyness

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Race4Charity is up and running; Carel is in financial services and has won it a couple of times in the past, he typically gets tens of thousands donated in single lump sums from all manner of service providers. I met Woodsy last year on the tour and he is currently running throughout Oz in a cow suit and attracting quite a lot of attention - I think he plans to run Comrades in it too. Then, currently, its little old me :) not sure I will hold that for long - I need to funnel a lot towards London this year!
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Hope you had a nice birthday BI.

I had a great time at Beachy last weekend and yes, bumped into debra during the run, plus others who came and chatted when they saw my comrades patch. I wasn't as rapid as debra, who left me in her dust!!! However i did make full use of the feed stations and according to my watch, i didn't move for about 25 minutes during the race. The stop for an ice cream at about 22 miles might not have helped mind you!!! :):) Was well yummy though!!!
  • Options
    I’m a little bit idealistic in that I want the best of both worlds. I’d love (and hope to) meet up with some/all of you and experience the Comrades camaraderie. Then I want to race the race (with some of you depending on time goals) (at a tbd pace/target). Then I want to celebrate and explore with anyone/everyone :)

I am aware of the back to back medal. I am fairly sure I will go for it but just figure I should get the first one out of the way first.
  • Options
    Thomas - you should absolutely expect the best of both worlds. 

Just aim to enjoy your time in SA,  whether you need a strict itinerary and time alone to prepare pre-race then do so;  some of us adopt a more relaxed approach (this is probably true of training at times too).  Regardless you'll always meet loads of new people and many runners when you get there.  Durban shuts down for Comrades so you'll struggle to miss the excitement from the minute you arrive.  

On Sunday you run as hard as you're willing to risk it to get to the finish - the same for everyone.   There some sort of magic happens because you'll never forget what you did, what you saw and even what you were thinking over the last few hours. 

Personally I love Monday's breakfast,  there we get to share in the drama,  accounts of injury or you can choose to elaborate on the private war you had going on.  I think that while many folks back home will be in awe of your achievement ,  these are often the last people who really listen, understand your story and get the excitement of the day. 

Think of your favourite local parkrun on steroids.
  • Options
    marty, what was your finish time then? Last I saw you, the two of you were putting away from me! I did minimise stops - had my 10L vest on with two 500ml soft bottles on the front and coat etc. in the back, and stopped only for long enough to grab a piece of food (then eat it while moving) and twice briefly to fill the bottles. I did find the start frustrating, and next year I must remember to make sure I start closer to the front and don't get forced to a not-so-fast walk for the first mile - which took more than 17 minutes!

Thomas: agreeing with JAR regarding the breakfast and everything - and if you want to prolong that, there's always Bruce's after-party Monday lunchtime.
  • Options
    Belated welcome Thomas. As a Comrades novice last year and someone who gets 'a bit competitive' on race day I think you are probably similar to me in your approach. I trained & trained then trained some more and did everything to get myself in absolute peak condition on race day. I set myself a pretty difficult target (for me!) and achieved it. I know I would have been pretty disappointed if I hadn't, no matter what an incredible experience Comrades is. I'm going to train hard this year, but my target this time is to enjoy every moment of the day, to chat to everyone, to high 5 the spectators and have an all round good time. Whatever time I end up with I'll be happy as long as I finish and get my b2b medal. I guess what I'm trying to say is go out and race your heart out, enjoy it as best you can while focused on your target and enjoy the post race celebrations. Everyone has a different reason for doing/has a different approach to Comrades. What I think everyone on here who has run it will agree on is that it is one of the greatest life experiences, and we are all a little envious of you because you are going to get something none of us are, which is to stand on the start line for your first Comrades!
  • Options
    Thomas, I agree with Max, I have completed a few big ultras within the last 11 years my first marathon, was the Marathon des sable, Jungle marathon, and the Gobi March. Managed to finish all three but still keep in contact with the ppl I met on all events.
    I never set a target just go out to enjoy myself, and hopefully finish in a good time injury free!
  • Options
    mordomordo ✭✭✭

hello all

put I for my first comrades and hoping to have as much fun as possible

any tips

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Welcome mordo! For a moment there my dyslexia had me worried that an angry alien presenter had entered the fray

You have come to the right place for some fun. Do you have a target to complete the up run in? Have you run a sub 4:50 qualifying marathon yet? Have you got any marathons planned in the qualifying window, let me know and I will add them to our list.

The Comrades event, whilst always daunting and a big challenge for me, is also always full of fun. The spectators in particular deliver a lot of fun for me especially if you have time to high five and wave at a few.

• Options
    mordomordo ✭✭✭

thanks

I have been injured and running half mast for a few years but since early in the year started getting my grove back

I did the south downs marathon as a hydration/nutrition run a few months ago

I picked up a hip injury but managed a 4:39 in Amsterdam for a qualifier 2 weeks ago and did beachy head marathon last week very slowly for time on my fit (should not have given my hip was dying)

hoping to do a couple of 50ks in the next couple of months and have half an eye on the pilgrims challenge in February and canathalon 75k later as part of my training

any suggestions?

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Welcome Mordo.  This is a great race - I'm sure you'll love it.

You are wanting to do 'a couple of 50kms' pilgrim challenge and a 75km and you have a hip injury.  To me that is far too much.  If you never ran an ultra before I would recommend one run in the range 50-60km before Comrades. And then it should not be raced but at a nice easy pace. If you ran ultras before then you would know your limits and how your body react to these kind of ultra distances.  My concern with your proposal is that it lead to injury and is anyway un-necessary to have so many ultra distance runs prior to Comrades.

Of course the motto is 'listen to all - decide for yourself'.  Each person has their own approach - some follow a training plan, some do a lot of events as you propose, some go for a time, others go for a finish.  There are as many ways to prepare as there are runners on the day.  Good Luck

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

What shocked me the first time I stumped up here was some people not doing much more than the odd marathon to be in really good shape for this. Of course there is a whole heap of work required to do a marathon, but Comrades does not take a double marathon training programme to achieve. My last 2 campaigns have not involved ultras. Mind you I am not a fast runner, happy to cruise to a copper Vic Clapham every time...

• Options
    mordomordo ✭✭✭
    Hi Bike it
    thanks for the advise, I have nothing set yet and have done a couple of ultras years back
    i have no one running anywhere near my pace or distance around me so the 50ks are planned as long runs rather than racing cos i’m Pants running alone for more than 3 hours
    i haven’t really seen a lot of 40 milers around