Overdone it?

Comments

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

12 miles comes up and it's at this point I start thinking that something isn't quite right. We have to do a loop around an industrial tank farm which I've ran round plenty of times including during the bonkers 5K and I'm pretty sure the loop is around 3/4 of a mile long and I'd be surprised if the finish line in park was only 0.3 of a mile away from the tank farm. It must have been somewhere round this point that I lost touch with the unofficial pacing group as suddenly they're 30-40 metres up the road. Rats, I now have to deal with the wind blasted bit of the course by myself. My breathing is fine but I can't seem to get my legs to go any quicker than 6:45 pace. I cross the 20k mat, change my watch setting to elapsed time and it's on 1:24:x which gives me 6ish minutes to do the last km and a bit, which is doable if the course is right.

The last km seems to take forever but eventually I can see the turn into the park where the finish is, one last check of the watch as I turn into the field, 13.2x miles and elapsed time of 1:29.4x...'Good grief this is going to be close, why is the finish line so far into this bloody field?' After what seems like another km I cross the line and stop the watch...1:30:02. Bollocks!

Make my way through the finish, asking all and sundry what distance they made it, I keep getting answers in kilometres which doesn't help although most seem to be getting around 21.4/5k which is roughly what my watch measures it at. Catch one of the people in the 1:30 pace group and they've finished nearly a minute behind me, yikes.       

Not long after I finish, the leading marathon runners are in, with the top 2 separated by a few seconds in what sounds like a good race with a decisive breakaway around 38km. Hang around at the finish and chat to a few people I recognise from parkrun and the bonkers 5K before heading off. 

All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it went despite the course length (if I believe my watch and those of others around me). Average pace according to my watch for the 13.35 miles was 6:44 which would be by second fastest half marathon time at 1:28.1x. As it is, it's my third so doesn't really make a difference. A few more longer runs and some HM specific training and I'm confident I'll be able to get my half PB to closer to 85 mins.      

• Great report Tommy2D, do you have your official time yet?  What were the sub 1:30 guys playing at?

When you say you think I should adjust my goal time, do you think I should be going for a quicker time?  If so I am not sure I'm experienced enough at that distance just yet.  I'd be happy to bag a 1:35 and then look to improve on this.  What do you think?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    sounds like a tough morning, Tommy. I guess the sub 1.30 guys knew it would be long so paced for that??

David, nice going. when is the target half?
  • Morning DT19, half isn't until end of March next year so a little under 5 months to go.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Thanks David, yes had the official time and it matches my watch time. 

Yes I was thinking you could probably aim for 1:32-33 off your 5k time but you're probably right to be a little more cautious.

DT - the toughest part was getting up and getting to the start! The course was challenging with the early inclines and the climb over the bridge but in retrospect I did enjoy it. 

I think you're probably right that the pacers knew it would be long so were trying to get ahead of schedule. However, I think all they ended up doing was running the legs off most people who had stuck with them as they did appear to be crawling along when we overtook them with our unofficial pacers. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    yes Tommy I wouldn't have coped with that start. An 8am start at Edinburgh puts me off ever doing that. 

The problem is if your half pace is 6.50 and you are running sub 6.40 you are into threshold pace so bound to go wrong after 10 miles. 

David, a lot can happen in 5 months. I wouldn't get entirely set on a pace yet. My first half was 1.30.12 and the week before I ran a 5k PB of 20.33. I had never run further than 12 miles before that day either. 
  • DavidHaydon83DavidHaydon83 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It's the first time I've trained at this volume so I guess I'll just monitor it as I go, especially with Christmas coming up and what have you. 

That is also far too early to be up and thinking about running too Tommy.  I would have been a zombie.
  • You do some bonkers-sounding races, Tommy.

David - it depends what you're good at. I'd run 7 sub 1hr35 half marathons before I managed to break 20 mins for a 5k. It was getting embarrassing.
  • Maybe I'm better at the shorter distance stuff :)  I'd love a sub 1:35 but for the time being anything under 1:40 will be great.

What is your 5k pb literatin?
  • I am running very slowly at the moment (due to not doing much training in last 6 months while eating the same amount of food as normal: I call this Mace Syndrome) but my 5k PB from ages ago is 17:55.
  • Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    But at end of 2013 Lit had a sub 1:28 half and a 5k PB of 20:11 (she had only run two 5ks though). Not many people have a sub 40 min 10k and a sub 1:25 HM before they get a sub 20 min 5k. 

• See Skinny, this is why we need regular TTT updates from you.

As someone's mum at training told me 'you've only really got one pace... I mean, it's quite a fast one, but it's always the same'.
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    At the moment, I've only got one pace and it's quite a slow one even by my standards.
  • Yeah - what I should have done was reduced the TTT to just Muddy and DT and kept them up to date - the rest of us are crocked, fat (relatively), lazy or a combination of all three.

(I would probably have needed to keep your prize box up to date too). 

I've just reread that and it made me chuckle. Lit's prize winning box  :D:D:D
  • Excellent run Tommy and a fine report, written almost like a native ! For fun I've been re-reading the Keith Livingstone book which fits in well with your New Zealand posts.

David, Lit missed a thread rule. She should really have pointed out that she beat me to obtain that 5k pb :) I think given 5 months or so of increasing volume and session introduction, you'll be troubling a faster time than 1.35, especially once you get some longer runs in.

Another quiet week for me last week. No session to speak of, easy running and a cut back long run of 11m. I had hoped to do a 10 mile road race but a cold struck at the backend of the week and as the race would've incurred a long road trip I decided the extra sleep was a better option. 8m yesterday as a 5+3 felt nice and quick on fresh legs - this week will front load the mileage ahead of a 10k on Sunday.
  • At the moment I can only dream of a 17:55 5k time.  5:45 a mile?  I reckon I could only do that for 1 mile at the moment! :smiley:

8M easy yesterday followed by 4 (perhaps 5) easy today.  I am going to give 5m @ HMP a go tomorrow with a mile easy either side.

Muddy, hope the cold doesn't get too much worse.

• Good point, Muddy. I also beat Bob. :)

Skinny, you're filthy.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Cheers Muddy, I refrained from calling it hard yakka, even though that would be quite an apt description.

8M easy yesterday followed by 4 (perhaps 5) easy today.  I am going to give 5m @ HMP a go tomorrow with a mile easy either side.

I'm surprised Stevie G hasn't popped in to tell you that sounds like quite hard work!

There's definitely two schools of thought on this on the thread and we've been through it a couple of times...in summary I would find 5 miles at HMP a pretty tough effort whereas DT has the ability to crush a session like that on his lunch break. I've concluded that I am a bit weakly.

Gentle recovery run for me yesterday (Tuesday) that was slightly interrupted by some bloke called Harry and his police friends turning up at the park I was running around.  

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well.....5 miles at hmp the last few months has become quite a big session for some reason, more mentally than physically.

It used to be a staple weekly session and I think if you can do it then you are well on your way to a good half. I seem to have dropped it to 5 at mp recently which is pretty much the same pace as what 5 at hmp was. I've become lazy!

I'm on holiday this week but went out this morning for an easy 5. I'd had quite a lot to drink last night but found myself by mile 3 in an unplanned progression run. 5 came in at 7.39 with a 7.11 mile 5. 

10k Sunday being the race I set my pb last year. Not great prep this year but I'll have a go. if it goes tits up I'll probably crawl in just sub 40.

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Well this fat lazy git has managed a 5-0-8 this week ( the weather was shite yesterday so i binned the scheduled 5 ... how's that for dedication !! )
  • Yeah, I didn't bother running on Monday because it was a bit dark.
  • Legs feel a little stiff today so going to try the 5 @ HMP tomorrow instead followed by an easy run on Friday to loosen things off.  This will give me roughly 23 miles going into the weekend where I'll do a long one to finish the week off.

mace - I'm on 8-5-0 and I thought that was dedication!
  • Well Tommy I consider 5@hm effort to be a tough session to swallow all in one go during the weekly grind too. I would definitely switch to marathon effort, or  make it 3x1.5m or 3m + 1.5m and take some decent rest in between.

9 + 11 for me so far this week. Just a short one planned for tonight though ahead of a medium long run tomorrow. I am front loading the week as I hope (sniffles/sore throat permitting) to do the same 10k as DT on Sunday. I was second last year and it was unexpectedly my fastest of the year in 35.35.
  • Just an observation.

When DT was cranking out the 5 @ HMP as part of his weekly work it was within a 2 hard runs plus a Long Run training regime (I think in year two he added an Easy run into the mix to gain miles).

This year he has done more traditional marathon mileage and has found that 5 @ HMP drift to a 5 @ MP.

Coincidence? I think not.
  • I completely get what you're saying Skinny and may use tomorrow's session as a bit of a sighter.  See how I get on and then consider either breaking it up like Muddy said or dropping it down to MP.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    skinny, for London 16 I followed the schedule of 3 hard runs but added 5 at recovery. I smashed all the runs then and was doing my long runs of 20 at about 7.20-7.40mm.

London 17 the 5 became a 10 so a proper mlr plus a 3 mile recovery. It was that point I struggled to hit the paces. From summer 17 I all but abandoned that plan for more traditional training. my fastest long run this campaign was 7.39mm. Bearing in mind my race pace was nearly 20 seconds a mile faster, I've no idea how I could hit those long run paces. 
  • DT19 said:
    my fastest long run this campaign was 7.39mm. Bearing in mind my race pace was nearly 20 seconds a mile faster, 
    As your race pace was 6:52mm ish there is something wrong with the maths in this bit.

But thanks for confirming my memory as roughly reliable.

Cheers
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I mean my average race pace in Yorkshire compared to my 3.08 in London 16. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Tommy2D said:

Cheers Muddy, I refrained from calling it hard yakka, even though that would be quite an apt description.

I'm surprised Stevie G hasn't popped in to tell you that sounds like quite hard work!

There's definitely two schools of thought on this on the thread and we've been through it a couple of times...in summary I would find 5 miles at HMP a pretty tough effort whereas DT has the ability to crush a session like that on his lunch break. I've concluded that I am a bit weakly.

Gentle recovery run for me yesterday (Tuesday) that was slightly interrupted by some bloke called Harry and his police friends turning up at the park I was running around.  

Candyman Candyman Candyman....
    (possibly totally lost reference on most, but anyway)

I'd possibly say in David's situation - where he's fairly new in, and hasn't drilled his zones yet, that he might actually find it fairly fine.

A guy at work seems to be able to do 13miles at his HMP as a training run :)

Also, not always totally easy if you've been around for years but not necessarily at a top point to know what is what anyway.

Take a recent training session - 20-15-10-5mins at "threshold", (worked out of my 16.56-17.00 summer 5k best via Daniels VDOT) billed at 5.52. In Feb I averaged 5.54 for a half, so you could "probably" say that is HMP? (Came out 5.48-5.50 ish, as on a track so slightly easier - and Feb is a long way back from September- October)

In the 20min spell alone I was covering almost 3.5miles in one chunk alone, and not far shy of 8.5m in total.

In the "old days" I wouldn't have dreamed at trying so much in one session. 2x3m HMP was my absolute peaking session, and this one above was mid way in a short 6-7week block.

The actual race was a bit of an average affair, but that's been done to absolute death - but erm, just some numbers for some discussion, as Tommy asked ;)
  • macemace ✭✭✭
     8-0-5-5

I know somebody who has yet to go sub3 despite several attempts and does all his runs at around 7.20-7.30/M but fades badly in a marathon. If he slowed it down to 8.00+/M he'd be able to do more miles (as he's not fecked from flying around all the time) and would get his sub3 for sure. But he never changes it.

A pal has just text me to go for a run with him tonight .... DOUBLE DAY !!!?