Overdone it?

Comments

• The first time I trained for a half marathon I thought the sessions that said 'x miles at race pace' meant you were supposed to go slower to practise pacing yourself. I had a lovely time.

Huh. I'm on 0-8-8-4 but am planning to squeeze in another quick run at lunchtime. Can't have mace on DOUBLES and not me.
  • Exciting times Mace !  :)

I rang up a rest day yesterday as I was on a course all day which had an early finish scheduled. Ended up stuck in traffic however which ate up my time for a 4m recovery. Not too concerned as my throat is still sore.

Tying in with the discussion,  a modest 3m threshold heartrate session within medium long planned at lunchtime. First brick in the wall for the Brass Monkey in January.
  • I ran a DOUBLE yesterday.

0.4 miles to gym, 0.4 miles back to car park.

In fact all my days are doubles at the moment. One day last week I managed to run all the way from home to the gym and back for a 1 mile, gym, 1 mile gym sandwich.

In other news I hit my first bike target last night since starting gym cycling in mid October - 15.05k in 30 mins. Next stop by end of November is 30k in one hour. I know that's not very fast but it's a start.
  • 0-4-7-5.5

I almost attempted a mini session today but the wind was so fierce it was just about bringing me to a standstill when I was jogging up to the park so sacked it off before I'd even started it. Probably still a bit close to last weekends race for that kind of stuff anyway. 

SG - good points. Horses for courses I guess, I know plenty of people who wouldn't think twice about doing 5@HMP but also plenty who wouldn't even contemplate it. 

Out of interest what recoveries do you have between each of the threshold sets?

I was talking to a guy the other day who's trained by one of Lydiard's disciples (I think he's pretty well known in local running circles) and one of their favourite sessions is 4*(3k with 1k float) with the 3k at threshold, the float is obviously easier but not 'too easy', his words. Sounds like a good but tough session which I might attempt, although will probably start with 3 reps and see how I get on. Guess it's basically a 3*2 mile type affair which always feels like a decent workout.  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    For that session they were starting big and decreasing.

so 20-15-10-5, off 4-3-2.
    Confusingly my temp coach called this session the 4-3-2-1 session, which I find strange, as why would you ever quote the recoveries as a reference, you'd quote the actual work wouldn't you? Especially as you don't really use the 1min one as you're done!

Compare that to the classic HMP peaking session, of 3x2mile HMP, which (i'd have to check) would have been either 90secs or 2min recovery.

Having trained from Moraghan (and helped Skinny and Lit off similar), all the irritation saying "MP" is pretty silly really, as in reality, the continuous "Threshold" paced stuff seems to be the exact same pace the "MP" work is at anyway!
    And I find having a "zone" where the pace changes quite confusing. 
    If it's 5.52 for the "reps", but 6.06 for "40 mins", then to me that's different zones anyway.

Tommy, have a crack at that. I tend to prefer stuff where you have a definite stop rather than jogging in between, but i dare say the latter is probably better!

One of Moz's build ups years back was a session that ramped up to something like 5 x 5 laps 10k pace, 1 lap "steady". Now that was a big session, but probably had about 4-5 weeks building up.
    I much prefer the base build up with a few weeks of 6.5m MP (or 40min "threshold"), then starting to finish "hard" and then 45mins merging 5mins MP to HMP, or 3mins Mp to "Tempo" (10mile zone, faster than HMP) before eventually, 2 weeks out, 3x2m HMP, and in race week, 3x1m HMP

When i build again, I'll follow that I think, but just call the runs "threshold" instead of MP, as it seems to aggravate people, and I get sick of explaining it as a "theoretical zone" / I'm not training for a Marathon etc
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Tommy2D said:
    0-4-7-5.5

Another having problems with Monday darkness  B)
  • So that was er, tough.

8:17, 7:12, 7:12. 7:06, 7:05, 7:00, 8:29

I'm not quite sure what's just happened.  I went out thinking I'll start off at MP and see how I felt.  I notched it up to HMP quite quickly and felt good for the first two miles.  By mile 3 my hr crept into the low 170s and I knew I was on borrowed time.  Once mile 3 was done, mile 4 was mostly flat and downhill and then mile 5 was all about hanging on.

Absolutely shattered now.  Feed up on desk, just need a beer.

One thing that slightly alarms me.  I cannot for the life of me imagine me running at that pace (albeit slightly slower) for 13 miles.  I know there is plenty of time but it seems like a big jump in ability and stamina.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    doesn't the term threshold or tempo run throw up more questions than mp?

2 x 5 milers this week as I'm away. Should at least have fresh legs for Sunday. 
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I was sadly lacking in time at lunchtime so it is a 9 -11-0-9 now, with the possibility of 3 later. My watch battery gave out part way through my threshold work - but seemed like around 18.30 for the 5k, as I clocked 9.14 for the first lap.

Edit: Threshold entirely relates to the point at which your heart rate jumps up quickly with diminishing pace returns. I don't know how you can measure it by pace at any given moment as it's so dependent on conditions. So I was just doing my efforts on dodgy paths round a reservoir with a bit of wind and a fair few dog walkers. No way am I going to be arsed to (a) look at my watch pace (b) program the watch to beep at me when I'm over and under a pace which may not be reasonably achievable in the circumstances.
  • So that was er, tough.

8:17, 7:12, 7:12. 7:06, 7:05, 7:00, 8:29

I'm not quite sure what's just happened.  I went out thinking I'll start off at MP and see how I felt.  I notched it up to HMP quite quickly and felt good for the first two miles.  By mile 3 my hr crept into the low 170s and I knew I was on borrowed time.  Once mile 3 was done, mile 4 was mostly flat and downhill and then mile 5 was all about hanging on.

Absolutely shattered now.  Feed up on desk, just need a beer.

One thing that slightly alarms me.  I cannot for the life of me imagine me running at that pace (albeit slightly slower) for 13 miles.  I know there is plenty of time but it seems like a big jump in ability and stamina.  
    What happened was you proved you are already capable of running a 1:35 half, or very close to it if you don't quite have the stamina yet (can't remember what your long runs look like).

Unbelievably race day adrenaline and running with other people makes up the difference. I used to reckon it was worth about 30 seconds a mile to me. 
  • David - You'll be tapered and fresh for the race, you'll be able to focus just on running in the race and not the other attention sapping stuff of being out on a training run in public. Having said that, if your heart rate is not in steady state (so should not have been going up on the flat downhill bits), you've got the effort wrong. Not that this will harm your prospects in any way; it'll just need a bit more recovery.  
  • Didn't you just run about 20 mins for 5k recently? If so that looks like a plausible half marathon pace. Unlike in my deluded first attempt at proper training, it's not actually *meant* to feel blissfully easy.

Re. threshold, my coach tells us to just run to feel at the intensity where we are on the edge of being out of breath, but not quite out of breath.
  • literatin said:

Re. threshold, my coach tells us to just run to feel at the intensity where we are on the edge of being out of breath, but not quite out of breath.
    Yes, that's exactly what it feels like. You're very aware you're puffing away, and can just about keep on puffing away.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    David - 5M @ HMP/threshold is a tough session
  • What happened was you proved you are already capable of running a 1:35 half, or very close to it if you don't quite have the stamina yet (can't remember what your long runs look like).

Unbelievably race day adrenaline and running with other people makes up the difference. I used to reckon it was worth about 30 seconds a mile to me. 
    Longest run so far has been 11 which I will do again this Saturday.

This race day adrenaline has a lot of work to do!
  • Having said that, if your heart rate is not in steady state (so should not have been going up on the flat downhill bits), you've got the effort wrong. Not that this will harm your prospects in any way; it'll just need a bit more recovery.  
    It wasn't that it went up on the flat bits, it's just that it never really recovered from the low 170s.  I get what you're saying though and I'll pay a little more attention to it in future.
  • literatin said:

Yes, that's exactly what it feels like. You're very aware you're puffing away, and can just about keep on puffing away.
    Apologies for the multiple posts, I should learnt to multi-quote.  This was exactly the feeling in the last two miles.  Very aware things were hard but not so hard that it wasn't sustainable.

Thanks for the encouragement as always and good luck with the rest of the running this week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes David, the magic of race day is truly amazing. The only way I can run at 5k pace is doing 1 mile intervals and that feels like capacity. 
  • I love numbers so here are some of mine.  7 - 12.5 - 8.5 - 0.  The 12.5 included a solitary 1 in 4.4 minutes, which pleased me. Planning on 3 x 2 at theoretical MP tomorrow but we shall see.  For David's benefit, I should point that I am young enough unfashionable enough to use kilometres.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    mace said:
    Tommy2D said:
    0-4-7-5.5

Another having problems with Monday darkness  B)

:) It was more about having problems with my legs after Sunday!

David, good work. As others have said, it will definitely feel easier on race day, plus you've got loads of time to build up endurance through plenty of easy running. 

Stevie - I probably will give the 3k/1k session a go. There's a 1.8 mile (3k in new money) loop in the park where I do a lot of my running in Auckland which I've noted a lot of people in the training group use. It's largely traffic free and whilst not flat the inclines are fine and as per muddy/lit, I'd not bother particularly aim for precise paces but keep the effort honest. 
  • Stevie G said:
    For that session they were starting big and decreasing.

so 20-15-10-5, off 4-3-2.
    Confusingly my temp coach called this session the 4-3-2-1 session, which I find strange, as why would you ever quote the recoveries as a reference, you'd quote the actual work wouldn't you? Especially as you don't really use the 1min one as you're done!

4x5mins, 3x5 mins, 2x5mins, 1x5 mins with proportional recoveries

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That'd be an explanation muds. With the recoveries being almost coincidental. (Though you'll tell me they match as part of the plan  :):)
  • and not the other attention sapping stuff of being out on a training run in public.   
    ?
  • and not the other attention sapping stuff of being out on a training run in public.   
    ?
    Watching out for traffic over junctions, pavement obstacles, people, holes in the ground, dog crap etc. Inner city life basically.
    ?
    Watching out for traffic over junctions, pavement obstacles, people, holes in the ground, dog crap etc. Inner city life basically.
    Hmmm okay - I don't really run in busy inner cities so I suppose that's why I didn't understand.

However obstacles (eg cones), people (other runners), plastic bottles lying on ground, kerbs, pot holes can all be hazards in a race. Occasionally even traffic (Tommy's the expert on that one).
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Put simply Skinny, and outside of Tommy's "asking for injury" mad ones, in a race you don't do much more than run as fast as you can.

Out on the pavements/roads you're constantly having to be aware of pretty much everything around you
  • I hear you both but I'm really not convinced that delivers any of the race day improvement in speed. When I used to do something like 3*1 mile in a local park I had less to worry about than in a race and, as DT said earlier, if I hit 5k race pace for those miles with maybe a 2 to 3 min recovery then I was pretty pleased with myself.
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This is true-ish - any early morning empty park works well and it’s where our running club does a session Sat. mornings. I don’t get that luxury very often though. Even if I’m not thinking about a session and I go round the woods and golf course near me, it's tree roots, mud patches, fallen branches, dog walkers etc that make me proceed with some caution. Round the reservoir is best for a decent session but the surface isn’t great and I can be running towards or approaching people from behind maybe half a dozen times per lap, and I’m always wary of them doing that thing where they hear you coming and inexplicably move across to the side where you were about to pass !

I think race day improvements mainly come about from running in a group - less perceived effort in some experiment or other I remember reading about - and tapering. But not slowing for junctions, looking left and right and keeping an eye out for footing up and down kerbs is mostly removed from the usual road race and makes a difference too.
  • I had Thursday off and an extra hour asleep this morning.  Maybe that helped me to complete a decent session today: 12km including 3 x2k with walking rests aiming at MP in the middle.  Came out at a mean pace of 4:53/km compared to my theoretical MP of 4:58.  Encouraging.
  • Well done Pete! Is that 3:30 marathon pace? I am just on my way to Lancaster, where I will watch fireworks in the pissing rain.