Comrades 2019

Comments

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    debra - i finished in 4.57. I think you must have overtook me at about the 17 mile feed station. I stopped to listen to the music and have a cup of coffee!!

Welcome mordo!!! It is nice to run with people on the longer runs but for me there is a balance between running too long and the recovery period needed afterwards. Like BI says, only you know your own body...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I was looking for a way to post a video so it showed a picture of the first frame and played when you clicked on it in the above post. But none of the variations I tried worked an ultimately the one hour edit window expired with zero result.

Anyway, I think I have stumbled upon this year's promotional video

• The Scotsman speaking near the end of the video is my friend Jock Ferguson. He and partner Karen will also be staying in the Belaire, as usual.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I remember Jock and Karen from previous years too Terry - that must be at Mugg&Bean breakfast?
  • Lowrez, Yes, they've been at Mugg & Bean gathering for each of the last 4 years.
  • I thought it was at the expo- I also recognised one of the people interviewed earlier in the video, as he ran the same 10-in-20 I did last year (but he's somewhat faster than me).
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ha ha - both correct - Jock was being interviewed at th'Expo in the video, but I remember him and Karen personally from jokes and conversations at Mugg&Bean and from the group photo in Friday evening Spiga although I was only there in spirit. And possibly further from Joe Cools
  • Ah! Yes, rereading your comment I see your meaning!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Fancy it Bike IT? Or indeed anyone? More detail here - have I calculated the salary correctly? £64k per annum? Nice!

• thomasclowes... My mistake... got dates mixed up... looks like we will be on the same flight there.. i will wear something comrades... but will also have my jacket with the pirates skull and crossbones as well on  :)
  • Great - thanks for the tip-off - I'm going to apply by post! 

I saw the Comrades guys at the Soweto Expo this morning.  They will consolidate the manual entries by 10th December.  Honesstly I'm not sure it will get there by that time.  They offered to check there and then and then I explained my entry is still stuck in the post office.

No running for me since Sunday's birthday run.  My calf is almost healed, but has caused a hip issue
  • Lowrez,  R1.2m cost to company,  you won't pocket that as a salary.  That has to include contributions they make on your behalf as healthcare, employer payroll taxes , unemployment fund contributions etc. .....your car allowance comes out of that figure too.   I might be out of touch now but it still sounds like decent money for being Durban or PMB based.  
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Blimey, that's a lot off that headline figure though isn't it? What do you think 30% at least in tax? Car allowance would be a good chunk too. I think I'm out, won't be able to afford a good pair of trainers.  
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    If anyone would like the zingy pleasure of seeing a spam post evaporate before their eyes I have been spreading the word in the other forums on how to kill spam (5 strikes and they die). I had never witnessed a post disappearing before but yesterday I was the 5th flagger on a couple and its an awesome feeling. So there are a few posts/threads teetering on the brink of oblivion out there if you wanted to be the final executioner on any :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Good luck Snaily and Bikey on your qualifiers today!

• mordomordo ✭✭✭
    Any tips on best training plans
    i run best doing 3 or 4 runs a week and no more
    i have never used a training plan and usually go as I feel
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

They tell me the Comrades Plans are great although I have never followed them myself, at the top of that page you will see Coach Parry mentioned, he is extremely good and knowledgeable; some of us have signed up to personal remote coaching from him on the past too. He does regular podcasts that are really worth the time taken to listen to, you will learn a massive amount from him and there are Q&A sessions on every call.

I do my own ad-hoc training, but I am on oldish hand at marathon running now and I know what it takes to get me through these distances.

• 4:46 gun time in Soweto Marathon. It is a very tough course and I am very unfit. More later
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yoooooo! Bike It! Quuuuuuallllllliiiiffffffiiiiiiiieeeeeerrrrrrrr! That elevation profile had me really worried. Well done :)
  • Bike It - really well done. Hope your hips etc are all ok

I bailed out.  :'(
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Bike It - well done!

Southern Snail: sympathies.

We went on a nice trail run this morning from Dorking along the Greensand Way to Leith Hill - really enjoyed it.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Here is your shocked trainer and crowd at your decision to bail Snail. But you did the right thing, no point in risking damage if you are not in shape for a long haul :)

• Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    Well done bike it, that looked like a brutal course

I scraped sub 4 at NY today. Back in the UK at Christmas so will see if I can up the seeding at Portsmouth 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I bet it was cold out on Staten Island Mac? Did you go over the top or lower tier on Verrazano-Narrows Bridge? That is a great time, well done!
  • Matt, well done!

Mordo, if you look here https://www.ultraladies.com/free-training-plans.html there is a 50mile/100k training plan - I used it for my first 50-miler and it worked well. You could chop out one of the shorter midweek runs to make it 4 days a week. One thing I've learned is there is no single 'best' way to train for a given race - people and their lives vary too much.
  • Back from a holiday in the US, ended up running 3:21 at the Marine Corps marathon. Small bit disappointed as I'd got a nice pacing plan for 3:15 all done up to take account of the hills in the first 5/6 miles but then forgot to load it onto my garmin watch  :( Made the age old mistake of going too fast in the first half and went though halfway in < 3:10 pace. Needless to say the rule of thumb that for every min you're ahead of schedule at halfway means you lose two mins in the end came true for me!

Still not to worry, have a 30 mile race the w/end after next so might see if I can get under four hours there. One positive note from my US trip was that I ran my quickest parkrun of the year at Fletcher's Cove the Saturday six days after the marathon.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant result BikeIt.

Welcome, Mordo.  I've always used the training plans on the Comrades website.

Well done on sub 4 Matt.

A good result JK, even if it didn't go quite to plan.

I ran 26.2 miles this weekend to fulfil the conditions of a Strava challenge.  This was to earn a place in next year's New York Marathon, so I'll be headed there next year.  After having had to walk the whole thing in 2017 I'm hoping for better luck.  
  • Ive used the 50 and 100 mile plans from ultraladies with success in the past... I like the simplisticness of them...