Removing Counterfeit Money Posts Etc

Hey folks, on another thread recently we discovered that if 4 of us do this to a comment in a post the comment evaporates into thin air:-

Click on the Flag symbol in the bottom of the comment, then click spam - will be interesting to see if the whole thread disappears if that is the only comment in it :) 

Tagged:

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    It appears to be 5!  I just added another to the thread that was above this and it's gone.

Thank you for your service :smiley:
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Woohoo! This is fun.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

So we just need 5 friends and the world is a better place :)

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    By gosh Aunt Fanny, it is ever so grand to get one up on those nasty men. 

When can we visit Kirrin Island?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I say – this has boiled up into quite an adventure, hasn’t it?
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Have spent an enjoyable 10mins five flagging some f---ers.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow - this is awesome - I was just the 5th spam reporter on a couple of posts and they imploded! Whilst I advised how to do this I have never actually witnessed being No.5 first hand. Such power - I suppose I am easily pleased - but it feels great kicking these pests in to touch!
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Soooooo, instead of just ignoring Yasoo and his very non-running posts we can spam him out of the forum, seems like a plan, thx lowrez
  • I've been flagging these things as spam pretty much since they started appearing. Never come across one with more the 3 flags though. I've even gone as far as reporting some posters as serial spammers with no apparent effect.

Maybe this post will encourage people who view the posts to start flagging spam instead of just ignoring them.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I have just spotted a confirming explanation out in vanilla land - this new forum is based on the vanilla engine and this documentation confirms what we have discovered
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Now if they were really cool, they would have made it 6.

"I am not a number......"

(Sorry to anyone too young to understand)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    ... I am a free man!
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Need some help with a clean up of deadfullzbulk spam spree. Go into his profile, find comments and flag the lot.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that JT had the pleasure of being No.5 on several of those, upped the count on the rest :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    You know what JT, we could play these spammers at their own game... register 4 more accounts each and cycle through them becoming single person killing machines :)
  • Hi you don't know me but I'm here to help
  • Never speak of spamkill5 they mean nothing to me anymore
  • Is it sad that I have the time to do all this and yet find it extremely entertaining?

Further discovery; if you flag up the top thread section and it has some posts below it can end up hanging around; there is one out there with circa 8 flags now and it didn't evaporate.

I just did one that was pure spam, the original thread post and around 5 spam comments on it. I initially thought that if I just flagged the top post up to 5 it would go, but it did not, so I then proceeded to flag the individual posts and got all them to evaporate. Finally I "unspammed" the thread back to 4 and then just flagged it back up to 5 and hey presto it evaporated.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Do you reckon they'll have the cheek to post their shady shenanigans in this thread?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well if they do it won't remain here for long! The main thing is not to comment on the damn things, even to scold or joke, I don't think it is an exact science, but if enough comments are made by good punters it helps the spam to stick even though you flag it up and over 5, and, of course, you don't want to go flagging the good punters posts as spam just as a means to get rid of the bad thread. 
  • I just 5-flagged a rake of old posts in a long-running thread. Very satisfying. 
  • Well cleaned Dave :)

I started with the things that were in front of me eg the scourge that was csorthofeet and the major money and passport vendors, switched the hoover on vacuuming everything that came my way in the same threads, and, now, I am out of fodder. I am not saying I have rid the boards of everything but it would be interesting to see what ya'll think; is there less crap about or do you still see mountains of the stuff? If there are some posts you want grinding down feel free to post them here, but, of course you are in control of their destiny anyway, 5 strikes and out they go.

The only stubborn one is a discussion on page 2 of the General Running Forum which even with 10 spam flags wouldn't evaporate, so I have taken the extras off and it currently sits at 5. Maybe @Nessie or @Mr Worry could "unspam" it and we could try taking it over the 4 to5 boundary again to re-trigger the spam engine's consideration of removing it - it might be though that the weight of the other valid comments associated with it are countering the automated annihilation of it.
  • The problem of killing some threads by the 5 spam rule is that the whole thread only disappears if there are no posts under it. I don't think there is ANY moderation by RW otherwise the threads with multiple spam flags and repeat spammers would be removed. RW are shit.
  • I have killed threads with less comments on them, but this one must be over a threshold where that happens automatically. Thanks for unspamming it, and I can see someone else has already tipped it back up to 5 and it hasn't done the trick. I just gave it 5 abuse flags too, but that didn't do the trick either so I took them off again. Abuse on a comment in a thread "embeds" it - it collapses the comment to a single line and fades it down - I stumbled over the effect on my spamkilling travels. If you hover over such a comment it gives you a warning, and if you click it, boosts the comment back up whilst you are in it to read it, it still lets you flag it for spam, I have killed a few of those so they completely disappear.

The author of the thread has been banned; evidence that RW do some policing from time to time. I know a volunteer admin from the previous incarnation of this site. They had spam removal capability, but that's not been possible with this "new" site so we are stuck with a less active policing situation as a result. RW did have a purge a few months back but things have got on my tits enough since then for me to have spent a bit of time on it myself having discovered the 5 rule. I was smiling a few times during my travels - noticed the odd comment "I flagged that shit as spam and the admins have removed it" - ha ha I have become an "admin"...
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Freddy22 posts? look like spam, but not too annoying, perhaps just an evangelist for myogarunning? Maybe if he's not a spammer he might like to elucidate!