Overdone it?

Comments

• It's just calculated from my 5 and 10k pbs, lit.  No intention of running a marathon, in this life anyway. Now I've checked, you're right of course!  I'm going to Lancaster next weekend for a passivhaus open day as part of my contribution to the extinction rebellion :smile:
  • Passivhaus - I read, I google and I learn.

Are you thinking of building a house Pete?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    not at my best today. Blame on on the holiday and lack of any proper training in 5 weeks. 39.09 on my watch for I think 10th but I did win a £25 up and running voucher for v40. 

Good to see muddy also, arriving late and rushing about. I think he thought he was still running late when the race started as well!
  • Passivhaus - I read, I google and I learn.

Are you thinking of building a house Pete?

It's a possibility in the next few years.  Or an eco-retrofit. Need to decide where we want to live first, which is tricky with daughters in Islington (but considering move to Bristol) and Edinburgh.  Only certainty is that it won't be Wigan :)

Did you also google extinction rebellion?

18.8 km this afternoon.  Felt much harder than same route two weeks ago.  Think my legs hadn't fully recovered from Friday's session.  It brought up 65 km for the week: my best total since February!
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Well done on the 18.8 km Pete - definitely going to be something in the legs after that mp run - especially as the pacing is based off your pbs .. unless you're in pb shape ;)

I am all for passivhaus, less for extinction rebellion. From a purely practical point of view, the acts of rebellion cause a horrible misuse of already scarce resources. I don't have a clue what the answer is to the current glacial (ironic) pace of change  though.

As DT alludes to, I was a tad rushed for the 10k race this morning. I feel it's unreasonable to ask a babysitter to turn up before 9am on a Sunday morning, so with a race start at 9.40am I was cutting things a bit fine leaving the house at 9.10am with a 15min drive ahead of me. My visa card had expired so the car parking payment system was an utter ballache putting my new card details in through the mobile (I was lacking 10p on the correct change :grimace:
     ) By the time I'd sorted that out it was straight up to the start, dying for a pee but no time for one. Just time to attempt some lunges and squats as part of the official warm up for the race, while chatting to DT. Line up for the start shows a few decent runners in attendance and after 3-2-1 we were off. Well, I was off anyway. It's a quarter mile of downhill to start and I'd thought to myself that I'd make the most of it, but I did that rather enthusiastically and found myself leading the race like a great big galoot ;) Once we hit the flat I switched the watch to heart rate, steadied my effort and the eventual winner passed me. He later said he thought he was going to have to run a 31min 10k (he was that calibre of runner!).

I tried to stay in touch as we did a small loop of the park to bring up a mile (lots of slipping and sliding on goose shit on the path by the lake) then onto two larger loops incorporating two out and backs with a swing around a bollard. I was able to see the gap to 3rd and 4th on this section and it seemed like I had about 10 seconds on the first loop. My legs were turning to jelly though. No warm up and the stupidly fast start was catching up with me.

So on the next loop I could hear a lot of shouts for the 3rd place guy and it seemed like he wasn't that far behind. It was alarming on a couple of fronts therefore to encounter a couple with their umbrellas up straddling the path, with their off the lead alsatian. The dog thought it was great fun to run after me and start jumping up at me as I slowed down to avoid catching it with my trailing legs. Eventually it left me alone, so I got my rhythm back and ploughed on to the bollard again, and saw that my gap had dwindled to about 4 seconds at the 7.5km mark. 1st was around a minute ahead at this point, and I was getting worried about being swallowed up by the two behind, not to mention the alsatian on the way back.

Promised myself that I could relax on the final gentle drag up to the finish and in the meantime to put in a really strong effort to keep the two behind at bay until that bit. But then when I got to that drag, I could still hear them breathing down my neck so made another promise to hammer it to the finish, and fortunately I wasn't caught, for 2nd place in 35.37. This was a couple of seconds slower than last year but it wasn't quite the same course. In the context of a week with a bad throat and excessive tiredness, I was pleased with that, though I think there's a bit more to come.   
  • Great effort, muddy, especially in the circumstances.  Congrats on a splendid result and thanks for the usual lively report. Not sure which race you did but it certainly wasn't Leeds Abbey Dash.  What an insanely strong field.  Out of 1500 runners, 1340 beat my pb!  I know I'm an old fart but I've usually made top half in races I and 35:37 would barely have got even you into the first 300! Do they screen entries by recent times achieved?  Only one person had a chip time over 47 mins (by 3 secs).
    We have reached the point where the climate emergency requires drastic action and governments are doing nothing or in some cases (I'm looking at you USA, Oz and Brazil) actively trying to make things worse. I'm due to become a grandparent in 6 weeks time.  I fear for her future and want to be able to say that I tried my best to give her a decent one.  If that means misusing police and prison resources, I think it's worth it.  End of mini-rant.    
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Pete, not sure what results you looked at but about 10000 runners did the abbey dash, including Mr v. But yes, the volume of runners sub 40 is substantial. 

I was reading an interesting article recently that basically said how the human race had peaked and a number of eminent scientists, including Hawkins, felt we are about 100 years from extinction. Hawkings felt our best chance of extending beyond this time is if we learnt yo colonise another planet. Grim reading for those of us with young children/ grandchildren. Congrats on your pending new addition. 
  • Excellent educational 10k'ing DT and Muddy, congratulations on the prizes winnings. 

Good (theoretical) MP session, Pete. Seems like your getting some consistent kilometreage in. 

Hope you enjoyed the fireworks, lit.

I failed to get up for parkrun on Saturday and when I headed out with the intention of doing some reps it was so ridiculously windy (about stopping me in my tracks as I was warming up), I sacked that idea off and opted for 4 miles at MP, which was ok. It was still bloody windy yesterday but I quite enjoyed running up and down 3 extinct volcanoes close to Auckland centre.   

Planning on having a go at the danger 5K tomorrow night. 
  • Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Well done both - good prize too DT - what did you win Muddy?

Muddy - I can remember you finishing second at Lancaster too but I can't recall if you.have ever actually won a race (other than those BUPA ones).
  • Haha.  Thanks, DT.  I feel less inadequate now.  I'd looked at the "full" results on runbritain.  Well done on your 10k result and prize too.  Sorry I missed it on my first read through.  Conductive Education looks more my kind of race, I don't really like the big events.
    Good to read that you are still doing madcap runs in NZ, Tommy. Stay safe and run well in the Danger 5k!  :)
  • I won the inaugural Pershore Plum Plodders 10k Skinny. It was courtesy of a  very sporting moment as the marshalls sent me the wrong way and 2nd chap held back for me to get back on route.

In the CE 10K I got the same prize as DT: a £25 Up and Running voucher.
  • But DT didn't have to run the second half with legs flooded with lactic acid and 2 blokes breathing down his neck nor nearly get mauled by an Alsatian to pick up his 25 kwid!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    it's tough at the top, Tommy!! mine was much more sedate with the guy in front over a minute ahead and the guy behind nearly a minute back. I thought on the out and back I'd seen a couple of guys in my age cat so thought I wouldn't win it. turns out they were 38 and 39. 

I did have to run most of the race feeling crap though following a 6mm mile 1 which was not feasible straight after holiday, I suffered for 5. 

Pete, yes it is a nice little low key affair with about 170 runners. I think in big races rb only publish a certain number, in this case 1500. 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Nice one muddy

5-0-8-5&3-0-0-0

The 3 on my double day B)  was a 1 + 2min pit stop in the bushes + 2 .... wasn't feeling great before we went out and was hit by the dreaded runners trots. Miles 2 and 3 felt like i was towing a tank. Spent the last 3 days to and fro the khazi but think i'm ready to try again tonight.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Great run Muddy, and I estimate each of those different situations is worth 20-30secs each, so I reckon a flat 30 on a different day  :D:D

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    DT19 said:
    Pete, not sure what results you looked at but about 10000 runners did the abbey dash, including Mr v. But yes, the volume of runners sub 40 is substantial. 

I was reading an interesting article recently that basically said how the human race had peaked and a number of eminent scientists, including Hawkins, felt we are about 100 years from extinction. Hawkings felt our best chance of extending beyond this time is if we learnt yo colonise another planet. Grim reading for those of us with young children/ grandchildren. Congrats on your pending new addition. 

100 years? Sounds every so slightly pessimistic.
    Let's take a few years off and call it year 3000, and we can have a panic like before 2000
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes I think that is sensationalism on Hawkings part, which I don't accept.
  • DT19 said:
    yes I think that is sensationalism on Hawkings part, which I don't accept.
    I don't know enough about it to comment meaningfully but there are certainly some scary stats and charts around if you compare things that have happened environmentally over the last few hundred years compared with the previous 20,000. 

It feels like governments and individuals all have their heads in the sand. 

Reversing globalisation and shutting down the internet would probably help but then DT and Muddy wouldn't be able to tell us what their HR was on their 5 mile easy run this morning and we would have no idea how fat Mace was currently. 

•  we would have no idea how fat Mace was currently. 
    Less than before he went out for his second run last Thursday by the sounds of it. 
  • Stevie G said:
    Great run Muddy, and I estimate each of those different situations is worth 20-30secs each, so I reckon a flat 30 on a different day  :D:D

Haha - just linked this to conversation at end of last week about no distractions in races - very good.
  • In other news I hit my first bike target last night since starting gym cycling in mid October - 15.05k in 30 mins. Next stop by end of November is 30k in one hour. I know that's not very fast but it's a start.
    And then on 2nd November having struggled on 31st October to make 15k in 30 mins I did 30.03k in 60 mins - so that's November target nailed and can focus on my plan for 32k by end of the year.

Seems my endurance on a bike is better than my pace so similar to my running.
  • I was also calling back to that discussion as it was Sod's law that an early morning 10k round a park would throw up as many obstacles as the average training run. It's mostly fractional stuff, a few seconds per mile, which makes a difference if you're the type to obsess over hitting paces. Anyway in the end I did most of the damage to myself weighing in with a 5.25 first mile. Sub 35 on a good day with another 6 weeks of decent mileage and training, I feel. I'll be in a fast (but historically measures long) 10k race on NYE.

I could write tons on the environment stuff. As an aside I see today, hybrid and electric vehicle sales on the up, which when you consider the initial outlay, is remarkable. However I feel that it's worth saying Pete, you have already done your best, enabling a number of generations to do maths which begets numerical comprehension and science, which just helps, period. I'm not saying give up but I feel disturbed by the sidestepping of Green politics and Greenpeace in these acts of rebellion.

It's also extremely debatable as to whether we would even be able to do anything about it from a political and social conscience perspective without the tools of research collaboration, the world wide web and other technological advances that bring the problems home to us.
  • Well done Muddy! I also once encountered an out-of-control dog in a race where I came second. I don't think I'd have won, but I definitely lost some time trying not to crash into a labrador.
  • Great effort at the 10ks muddy and DT.  Jelly legs were a regular occurrence for me due to me not warming up properly before a race.  I've learnt quite a bit since joining the forum.

I debated whether or not to post this but I'm actually interested in whether others have experienced similar.  It was touched upon a few pages ago and is about that "feeling" you get whilst running, particularly after a bit of a heavy meal.  I will keep this brief and the detail to an absolute minimum.

Yesterday at around 1400 I went out with family for a very late breakfast.  Eggs, tortillas, waffles, that sort of thing.  6pm came along and I thought I'd go out for an easy 9 to finish off the week and get the mileage done.  

Miles 1 and 2 were absolutely fine.  I felt a little full in the belly but from usual experience this has subsided and I've been OK.  Mile 4 came and it was evident something wasn't quite right and I would need to 'go' soon.  For some bizarre reason I thought to myself "you're 35 years old, you can hold it" - turns out I couldn't.

Mile 5 saw me run past a big Sainsburys, I looked in longingly but foolishly decided to keep going. 

Mile 6 was very uncomfortable. This was when I decided to cut the run short and run back home.  Mile 7 was when my gait completely changed and I knew I was in trouble.  After looking for a decent spot somewhere along the A20 I did what I had to do.  Afterwards I felt like I could run a marathon but just wanted to get home and showered.

Not my proudest moment at all.  Is this something that happens to most runners at some point in their life?

• Awwww a labrador, how cute - did you not stop and stroke it? I'm sure it was only playing. ;)
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    David, it usually requires two or so months of inordinately high mileage before I feel like running a marathon. I think you may be on to something here ! 

p.s thanks Lit. I think I'd have preferred a labrador. I don't know what the his and hers giant umbrellas were all about though. Is romance dead ? Thread question, not specifically aimed at you ... actually think I'll hand that one to DT  :) 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Can only help doing your next 10k in a proper field Muddy, none of this cock n biscuits stuff. Great for the ego, less good for the time, although you seem pretty good at hammering it when there's less competition around you.
    At the moment, I think I like less competition, as I find it very easy to just let anyone coming past go, and wish them well, while I battle it out with the run once a week types and grans
  • Romance is alive and well here in north east fife, where I usually have to share my girlfriend's umbrella because I have forgotten mine. David, I have never needed a poo while running, not even the time I ran 4 miles to parkrun, did the parkrun, had a bacon & egg roll and a coffee for the bargain price of £2, and then ran 4 miles home again. I've also done a marathon the day after a massive greasy chinese takeaway with no ill effects.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Miles 1 and 2 were absolutely fine.  I felt a little full in the belly but from usual experience this has subsided and I've been OK.  Mile 4 came and it was evident something wasn't quite right and I would need to 'go' soon.  For some bizarre reason I thought to myself "you're 35 years old, you can hold it" - turns out I couldn't.

Mile 5 saw me run past a big Sainsburys, I looked in longingly but foolishly decided to keep going. 

Mile 6 was very uncomfortable. This was when I decided to cut the run short and run back home.  Mile 7 was when my gait completely changed and I knew I was in trouble.  After looking for a decent spot somewhere along the A20 I did what I had to do.  Afterwards I felt like I could run a marathon but just wanted to get home and showered.

Not my proudest moment at all.  Is this something that happens to most runners at some point in their life?

Ignore Lit, proper runners have all had that happen.
    I've had times where it happened way too often.
    One time I even decided to carry on a hard tempo thinking "what's the worst that can happen".

The worst was pretty bad in fairness.
  • David - yes long runs and a shit in the bushes are common companions - although only 3 times for me in 6 years of running.

Although I have never ever just simply accepted shitting my legs. It wasn't even a fkn race just a hard tempo run??? WTF.