Dealing with dog owners

124»

Comments

• lardarse wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)

Unfortunately it's not the dog's fault, you are right it's the owners. But so many people take on a dog with no idea or inclination to train it properly. image

Strangely Brown wrote (see)

Really can't advocate abusing the animal in any way, they are just doing what comes naturally, it's the onwers who are 100% at fault.

Some dog owners are just damned inconsiderate, unfortunately.

At what point does it become an animals fault? That it's a dogs natural begaviour to attack and kill other animals it deems weaker isn't a very good excuse for their behaviour. It's not the owners fault that dogs are genetically encoded to kill. Yes some owners exacerbate the problem, but the fact remains that dogs are cold blooded killers.

No one would put up with a human behaving like a dog, they'd be fined, jailed and in some countries exterminated.

I love dogs! lmfao

At what point does it become the dog's fault you ask?

Why do you want to make it the dogs fault?  Do you want to lock it up for 6 months?  Make it do some community service?  Bit of litter collecting or painting your park fence?  Do you want to sue that little guy out of every fluffy toy and tennis balls he owns?

Dogs. when trained right, handled right and under the command of an owner who knows what he is doing is a respectful,  obediant and calm companion.  Errant dogs are a result of terrible ownership on 99.9% of occaisions (a lot like terrible humans are).  So if a dog runs at you, jumps at you or chases you, he's doing it usually because it's fun.  He isn't trying to harm you.  Human's are not prey for dogs.  A properly trained and controlled dog will not chase you.  An improperly controled one, will.  So of course the responsibility is with the owner, he is the master and the superior intellect.  It's he who teached the animal the rules, the dog is designed to follow them.  I'm not sure what it says about you that you want to blame the pet and not the owner, it seems peculiar to me.

Do you think this way about humans too?  If a child was to hit you, would you blame the child and not the parenting?  If a Spaniard happened to punch you ona  night out, would you form ridiculous prejuduces against all Spaniards based on one experience?

Dogs might be cold blooded killers but not of humans.  They love us, most do not want to harm us.  I don't know the stats but i'd be very confident in saying that fewer humans die at the hands of a dogs on a pro-rata basis than they do at the hands of their fellow humans. 

It's humans that hate humans, not dogs, unfortunately.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    lardarse wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)

Unfortunately it's not the dog's fault, you are right it's the owners. But so many people take on a dog with no idea or inclination to train it properly. image

Really can't advocate abusing the animal in any way, they are just doing what comes naturally, it's the onwers who are 100% at fault.

Some dog owners are just damned inconsiderate, unfortunately.

At what point does it become an animals fault? That it's a dogs natural begaviour to attack and kill other animals it deems weaker isn't a very good excuse for their behaviour. It's not the owners fault that dogs are genetically encoded to kill. Yes some owners exacerbate the problem, but the fact remains that dogs are cold blooded killers.

No one would put up with a human behaving like a dog, they'd be fined, jailed and in some countries exterminated.

I love dogs! lmfao

At what point does it become the dog's fault you ask?

Why do you want to make it the dogs fault?  Do you want to lock it up for 6 months?  Make it do some community service?  Bit of litter collecting or painting your park fence?  Do you want to sue that little guy out of every fluffy toy and tennis balls he owns?

Dogs. when trained right, handled right and under the command of an owner who knows what he is doing is a respectful,  obediant and calm companion.  Errant dogs are a result of terrible ownership on 99.9% of occaisions (a lot like terrible humans are).  So if a dog runs at you, jumps at you or chases you, he's doing it usually because it's fun.  He isn't trying to harm you.  Human's are not prey for dogs.  A properly trained and controlled dog will not chase you.  An improperly controled one, will.  So of course the responsibility is with the owner, he is the master and the superior intellect.  It's he who teached the animal the rules, the dog is designed to follow them.  I'm not sure what it says about you that you want to blame the pet and not the owner, it seems peculiar to me.

Do you think this way about humans too?  If a child was to hit you, would you blame the child and not the parenting?  If a Spaniard happened to punch you ona  night out, would you form ridiculous prejuduces against all Spaniards based on one experience?

Dogs might be cold blooded killers but not of humans.  They love us, most do not want to harm us.  I don't know the stats but i'd be very confident in saying that fewer humans die at the hands of a dogs on a pro-rata basis than they do at the hands of their fellow humans. 

It's humans that hate humans, not dogs, unfortunately.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Damned if I can read anything previous suggesting why anyone would want to make it the fault of the dog. 

Maybe you should try reading the comments properly before em-barking on your emotional luv in with your fellow s..t machines.

As you no doubt know, treat a dog like a human and it will treat you like a dog.

That's why the f...g things show no respect to humans. It thinks we're just another dog.

Go do what they do. And don't forget to brush your teeth.

🙂

• Hi RicF,

It's right there in the quoted post.  I'm happy with my reading skills, thanks mate.

Unfortunately the rest of your post doesn't really make any sense so i've no idea how to respond to it.  Sorry.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

No idea how to respond to a post! 

I assumed you'rd just cock your leg and piss up it.

woof!

🙂

• image  Made me chuckle.

Just to clear up any misunderstanding though, it's perfectly possible to like things without actually being them.  For example, you might like chicken but it doesn't necessarily make you a cock.

• Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

The original poster was "spinning round in flipping circles trying to face them and be playful with them". He would have done better to stop moving entirely and simply stand still. By moving, he was exciting the dogs. He reacts so they react.

Test it before you dismiss it, please. It's worked for me every time, over the last 30 years. You just stand completely still and the dog loses interest. Very very simple.

I was standing perfectly still for a good several seconds the moment I saw it charging from over 100 meters away.  It didn't lose interest, in fact it was trying to get behind me to nip the back of my legs.  Otherwise, I'd say the ones that lose interest are probably not so much of a threat anyway.  

Another 2 dogs gave me grief a couple of minutes later...these were even on a long lead but the owner couldn't hold them back even though I gave them a very wide birth!

Every situation is different and my reaction is different each time.  The only thing I need to change is making it clear to the owners that I'm unimpressed with their lack of control.  Problem with that is, after catching up with the responses here it seems half the dominant leaders are the dogs!  Maybe I need to learn doggie language!   image...GRRRRHHHHHH....that will teach them!

• It in fact Works. Here’s How. If you’re working on the ring a potty bell education your canine, then ring a potty bell can be a suitable lifesaver. Teaching a puppy or grownup canine to ring a potty bell,” is extraordinarily convenient and without a doubt handy.

For more info about dog training add . and com with the site which is written below.

Dogstrainingtools
  • Yep dogs are pretty annoying while running
  • Honestly YOU look stupid when you say words like “always”, no one ever said there were no exceptions, changing patterns, and different shelters all over the country dealing with different types of owner neglect. No one said that ALL PURE BRED DOGS GET ABANDONED AT SHELTERS.
    naima
  • I was running along a beach once (with my dog) really in that zone. Enjoying it. It was very windy.

suddenly this woman (with a dog) yells something at me. Obviously I didn’t hear so I said pardon. She shouted again, I thought maybe dogs were banned from the beach and she looked like it was important so I said ‘pardon’ again. I still didn’t hear so I stopped running. Stopped my dog and walked over to her.

and she said :

’who’s taking who for a run?’

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard that!!!

dog owners eh!!
  • my two dogs are well trained but I still do not let them run free in the forest and whenever I see someone coming the opposite way I tell the dogs to sit or lie down which they always respond to. Here in Germany where we live most dog owners are responsible and keep their dogs on leash. My two each weigh 40 kilos and are only allowed off leash when training at dog club or swimming in  a pond or river.  
  • swimming training this evening with our tri club, indoor circuit training tomorrow evening, and dog club on Thursday. We are always busy!
  • Note - most dogs hate being sprayed in the face with water, if you are really scared you could carry a small bottle of water as a deterent.
  • A big annoyance for me this. The worst are the pavement hoggers though. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to move onto the road when approaching an owner who has multiple dogs taking up the breadth of the pavement.
  • Also having to check for traffic everytime I do
  • Dog tried to bite me on backside yesterday. Owner had no control. Felt it trying for a hold and managed to grip its snout, spin round and was about to knock it out when it pulled away. Fed up with this cr*p now. Keep dog on lead or train it.