The Middle Ground

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Feel a bit achy today which isn't surprising given my lack of faster running in the last 6 weeks or so.

If I finish a meeting early enough I'll try and get a recovery run in, but main plan is spin later.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 1st place DT19 and on the Parkrun pacing (even if you were off a little bit) AndrewD and on the improving milage Alehouse.

Back to it today after a full week off.  A gentle 5 miles at lunch today, kept HR about 20bpm under threshold, so easy run pace.  Hamstring felt tight but nothing worrying, probably just rusty.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Nice work DT - bagging a prize 3 weeks post-mara PB is good going.

JGav - yes, time to buckle down for the winter!

Good news on the 4 miler Andrew.

Abbey Dash came out at 43:08 ... should have bagged a sub 43 really but got a bit light-headed in the final km. Anyway, I just needed to beat a club-mate who is level on points with me and I did that, so job done. I should get 3rd place again, assuming I run OK at Dewsbury in Feb (even if he beats me by one club place and we're level again, I'll still be one up on head to heads).

Starting to change my plans for next year. Now thinking I will not do a marathon in 2019, or the half-Iron-Distance tri, but instead target 10K, 10M and HMs.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Good running Dr.Dan.  I really like the 10k to HM distance.  It's long enough to be aerobic but you really have to pace it at your threshold to get the best out of it.  Never actually raced a 10 miler (not many around?) though it really does appeal.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm keen to get back to hitting my pre-injury 41:xx 10K times and perhaps get a sub 41 ... also have another attempt at a sub-90 HM.

10 miles is good if you're careful as that narrow range between 10KP and HMP is tricky to dial in ... quite easy to slip into tempo/1h effort and blow up for the last 2 miles.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Another lunch 5 miler done, really didn't feel like going.  Once outside and running it was really nice.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done on the club comp outcome from the Abbey Dash, Dr Dan. I follow McMillan running on facebook and they often post little insights and one I recall is that if your mara time stagnates spend a cycle training for a shorter distance then return to it. Any improvement to threshold etc should carry through to mp if properly trained.

JGAV I do like a 10 miler. Its a bit like a half without the painful last 3 miles. Based on wava and McMillan paces whenever I renew my 10 mile pb it is always my strongest distance. I have one 4 weeks sunday.

Heading back towards normal training now with 5 miles easy and spin yesterday and then 8 miles over lunch today.

• 3 miles easy for me last night, 4 more of the same planned tonight. Final pre-race tempo session planned for tomorrow - 4 miles at tempo within a 6 mile run.
  • Well, that was a shambles! Had to stop after 2.5 miles as I felt weak, light headed and was about to faint! Think I was just running un-fueled after not eating much this afternoon - hopefully just a one off 🤞
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I had that on my easy 8 yesterday, Andrew. Jelly legs like there was nothing in the tank.  Persevered and felt fine from 5 miles.

Just bodypump tonight. 
  • The stupid bloody thing was just before I went out I thought ‘I’m starving, should probably eat something or this could feel rough’ but I talked myself out of eating something! Idiot! 😂
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    I ran to work today ... and will run back later. 12 week Dewsbury 10K plan kicks off next week.
  • Good work Dan - I am always slightly jealous of those who can run to work. I can't for two main reasons - distance (I would have to do 10 miles each way) and lack of changing/showering facilities at work. 12 weeks sounds like a good training block.

JGav - do you feel like you have got your mojo back at all after the runs you had recently where it felt like hard work?

DT - are you base training now, or have you begun a new marathon plan?

I'm working on eating more today (a hardship I know!) and hoping that tonight's tempo run goes ok. I am then planning a short run on Friday to make up for the miles lost in yesterday's shortened run.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I've run to and from work before but not often as it's 14 miles.  Luckily we have really good changing and shower facilities and I have my own locker in the changing room.

Mojo is back, last week was a write off in that I realised I had some sort of virus and so rested until I felt better.  Back to it this week and hit 25km since Monday.  Intervals at lunch of 6x3 mins over under threshold, 7mm for slower intervals and around 6.20mm for faster ones.

Andrew you seem into the groove of consistent training, so don't worry too much if a run ends up slightly shorter as the cumulative effect will work its magic.

Nice going Dr.Dan on the commutes.

DT19 I echo AndrewDs question, base training or into a plan yet?

• Tempo session tonight went well 👍 4 miles in a 7.11 average pace. Felt really good. First mile was a bit interrupted by an idiot taxi driver turning right across my path across the pavement! Got into a nice rhythm after that though, especially in miles 3 and 4.

Interesting to compare this run to the same run this time last year - nearly 20 seconds a mile quicker this time 🙂
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    decent tempo, Andrew and good progress.

yes that sounds quite like my jgav.

Dr Dan, good to be back to routine.

No, not base training. The nature of my training for most of this year has been close to base training. I am targeting brass monkey half mid January for sub 83. 

So my first session today was a mixed pace pyramid. 5,4,3,2,3,4,5 minutes off 2 minutes recovery.

the 5 and 4 were at hmp and the 3 and 2 10kp. the recovery was at mp. 5.8 miles covered at 6.33 average. pretty tough session for me. The average pace was 10 seconds a mile slower than hmp so as a steady paced run would have been fine but the 10k pace ramped hr up and recovery at mp gave little scope to recover it. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Easy 4 yesterday then spin and pump today. 

Pace v hr is returning nicely now. Back to some long runs with a 12 tomorrow. 
  • Sounds promising DT.

6 miles today for a medium long run. Taper week ahead. Ready for it!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Sound good Andrew.

Also getting back to it DT... 10.3 for me today after a 21:37 parkrun yesterday.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, Andrew. 

Nice parkrunning, Dr Dan. Good to be back in double figures. 

Nice and easy 12 for me today. Felt very comfortable. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Last few days before my final race of 2018 on Sunday.  5 miles easyish at lunch, going to keep it all light except for some strides this week.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    What's the plan/target, jgav?

8 mile hilly but easy mlr tonight. Pace v hr is returning to pre mara levels now. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    What's the plan/target, jgav?

8 mile hilly but easy mlr tonight. Pace v hr is returning to pre mara levels now. 
    Depending on weather and how I'm feeling Sunday, was going to follow the 1.30 pacer to half way and see.  If it's not on, I'll back off to 1.35 and run it in.
  • Good luck on Sunday JGav.

I also have a race on Sunday (10k). The aim is for something around mid 43's, but definitely aiming for a pb (43:49). Plenty of lurgy going around the office this week though which is annoying!

Have had 2 whole days off so far this week, but am planning a short tempo-ish session this evening with just a couple of miles at planned race pace (7mm) to give the legs a quick freshen up. Then it is easy paced mileage through to the weekend.

• The 2 miles at target race pace came in at 6:54 and 7:01 and felt nicely comfortable. Hoping it feels the same for 6 miles on Sunday!
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Exciting times this weekend.

10x 400m on Tuesday and bike commuting Mon-Wed. Run commuting tomorrow.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Lunch session - 1400m threshold then 8x90 seconds (supposed to be 5k pace but I ran it all at HM pace) and then 1400m threshold.  Didn't want to hurt my legs too much with a race on Sunday.

10x400m is a good old session
  • Good plan JGav.

I did 4.5 miles at easy pace today. Keeping things very light between now and Sunday.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    good luck for the weekend both. 

9.5 over lunch with a 6 mile tempo. Came out 6.29 average pace. it was surprisingly warm and also windy. Pretty decent sub hmp session. Felt  tough and quite tired now. 
  • 6 mile tempo sounds tough DT - how far would you push a tempo session? Further than 6 miles?

Forecast still looks clear (if a little breezy) for Sunday.