Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes Leslie, even if I have a week or 2 out and then start easy running, it takes me 2 weeks of aches and pains to feel like I am going again.

Enjoy the xc smackdown GD and Lorenzo.

Nice MLR, Gul.....now def.

Happy birthday, Nicko. I cant recall which distance you are doing this weekend?

Feel pretty good after yesterdays session, but sticking to plan and 4 easy miles later today.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nicko - old ?  hmm . . . .    are you going full distance tomorrow?  (although I note the "marathon" is further than 26.2) . . . .    

eyup, Leslie - welcome back  . . .    

Gul - you're in excellent fettle - enjoy the cotton wool  . . .   

7.5 yesterday morn, then 1.5 on the grass during kids' XC training.  makes 29 in 3 days .  .  
  • Great final MLR Gul Darr - you should be on for a fine result.

Good luck in Epsom GD and Lorenzo - most of my club are doing the Swansea one so thought it might be a national thing. As long as you both run like some sort of horse I'm sure you'll do great!

Welcome back Leslie

Just the 1/2 tomorrow Birch, DT (or the 7/13 it should be called - it's 14.1 miles - the Welsh have bad rulers). The elevation profile is fun - that first hill is a beast! Usually attacked it from the other direction which is a bit more forgiving.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I just passed this place, nice memories 
  • edited November 2018
    Some good speed sessions going on at the moment - nice sessions from DT and Stevie
    G-Dawg - looks to be perfect conditions for the XC later. See you there
    Sadly I didn't manage to get a place at the Mont Blanc Marathon so I've just spent the last hour or so thinking about a possible challenge / "race in an interesting place" for the summer. NDW 100 looks appealing but it's in early August so I suspect we'll be on holiday then. I'm torn between the appeal of an ultra challenge vs focusing on some shorter stuff for a bit. Any suggestions very welcome!
  • Can you swim Lorenzo? if I was looking for a different challenge I would enter a Tri!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hope Nicko going/gone well  . . .    

well, 6 yesterday & 15 this morning gives me 50 over 5 days - heady heights :)
  • With that mileage you should be thinking of a spring marathon Birch  ;) 
  • Great fun at Gower today. Weather horrific at the start so a cold wet first section, thankfully turned into a glorious day and I actually really enjoyed the run, nice to get muddy.

46th out of 420, 70 positions higer than last year so very happy - target was top 100.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Cracking cracking effort Nicko. I tried a new parkrun at Victoria keys London. 18:31 and 4th. Definitely lost a bit of top speed but not too shabby 6 days after the Mara. Very fast and flat course- worth the trip on DLR for Londoners.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well we are more than half way from London 18 to London 19. It'll be upon us in no time. nice parkrun. 

Great going, Nicko. 

Nice mileage birch. 

unlucky, Lorenzo. I'm sure Badbark could give you some pointers!

Hope the xc went well for you and g dawg. Conditions here were perfect for it. 

No running today just spin and pump. 12 miles planned tomorrow which will be my longest since Yorkshire. Was planning a low key early night but my wife keeps saying she wants wine. I'm hoping she'll forget!
  • I completed the Tollymore Trail Marathon yesterday in 3:08:03 and 2nd place overall. The race was brutally hilly on stoney, rocking forest trails but I loved every minute of it! I got on a podium and an engraved trophy is being sent out soon. I'm currently suffering from my worst DOMS in years. Love it! :smiley:
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good work, Badbark. What's next? 

A nice easy 12 today. First time in double figures since York. Good to be back. 
  • Great going Badbark - amazing how you can just churn out one good performance after another.
    Stevie - I've often wondered about doing a triathlon, but TBH I could only really get turned on by the idea of the challenge of something like an Ironman but the training I'd have to do to bring the swimming even close to that kind of level would be a huge investment in time that I don't have at the moment.
    Nicko - sounds like Gower was good fun. Congrats on such a dramatic imporvement from last year.
    G-Dawg - great to catch up with you yesterday. Hope you made it back under cover before the heavens opened.
    XC for me (and G-Dawg) yesterday. The conditions had dramatically transformed from a very pleasant morning into a rather grim looking afternoon with very dark clouds hanging over the race course. Fortunately the rain held off and I managed to complete the 2 lap, 4.9 mile course in half decent time of 32:53 although it wasn't really what I'd call proper XC - more of a glorified trail run so very little mud. Still, I ended up being the final scorer for the team (younger Lorenzito was first home for the club) as we had to settle for 3rd place on the day with G-Dawg's teammates scooping first place again.
    Just under 14 trail miles through very wet underfoot conditions this morning - at least the rain stopped after about 30 mins. Brings up 45 for the week.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great pic, Badbark. well done on another excellent race.

Great to see you again on Saturday, Lorenzo and a cracking run from you too. Well done on taking the thread smackdown!
    My lot had a strong team out and we won the team event and got first place individual. After two marathons in a month, I was pleased with 33.24 and ran the two laps with a decent strategy, picking runners off all the way round. Once the field spread out, only a fellow club mate passed me which showed I ran at a consistent and sustainable effort. Happy with that.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Birch - bagging some decent mileage - nicely done.
    nick - That's a great result - congratulations. That first hill certainly looks tough -  the profile makes it seem more like a cliff face!
    OO - hopefully I'll make it there one day.
    Lorenzo - shame about MB. There's always the Norfolk 100km in June? Good XC race and trail running.
    DT - Nice 12 miler. Does that mean you didn't have any wine?
    Badbark - great performance to get 2nd place - congratulations - an excellent result.
    GD - good work at the XC.
    I had planned to do a recovery run on Saturday, but got back home from a work do very late. Woke up on time, but still felt really tired and decided the rest would do me good. Zero miles on Sunday too. Going for an extreme taper! Well, not too extreme. Did 7 miles this morning with 4 x 0.5 miles at MP. Pace was a bit all over the place (from 7:08 to 6:12) but felt pretty relaxed.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - a two day rest is just the ticket after your 12 on Friday, I would say.  half miles at M effort is usually my modus operandi, 5 or 6 days out.   have a calm few days  . . .
  • Congrats Badbark - your consistent results are amazing

Lorenzo - considered Race to the Stones / Race to the King? Or check out the Endurancelife classic quarter.

Great parkrun OO - will check that one out next time I'm working in London.

NIce XC results GD and Lorenzo, congrats on both teams getting podium. 

It certainly feels like a cliff face Gul Darr - there's no running going on up there that's for sure; very steep and slippery so it's a power hike at best.

Here's my long and rambling race report:

I felt pretty ropey on Saturday morning before the race; probably a couple too many Gower Golds at the pub the night before (lovely beer, highly recommend it) - although I also found out my usual 3 morning coffees were accidentally decaf which didn't help a usually highly-caffeinated man. We arrived to registration in the pouring rain, queued; in the rain, to register then waited around for the buses to take us to the start (a new route this year for all distances meant that the half mara required registering at the finish, busing to the start and running back) - it was a bit of a hassle but the new route was much better so worth it.

When we arrived at the actual start on the beach, the weather was at its worst; absolutely pissing rain and howling wind - not too many happy faces as we waited at the startline to be set off. I was feeling awful at this point and didn't think much of my chances of making it through. However, pretty much as soon as the starter's horn blew (well, kind of failed to make any audible noise), the rain magically slowed to a drizzle and we were off, a short loop around the beach head on some tricky stones then off to tackle Mt. Doom. This is the first 2 miles and very slow, I just concentrated on one step at a time to make it through to the downhill where I knew I could pick up some pace with a reckless descent. After about 3 miles my head had cleared, so had the weather, and I tried to settle into a pace with a small pack.

After about a mile more, I got bored of those people and decided to start hunting people down, just concentrating on picking people off ahead of me one by one and trying not to stack it on some of the technical parts. Before I knew it, I was on my own, I was 7 miles in with half way to go and actually enjoying myself. The landscape was beautiful, the route was tricky enough to be interesting, lots of narrow climbs up mini crevasses, steep slippery downhills and rolling coastal paths. At 10 miles we hit a beach, and I was  surprised that I had no desire at all to just head to our rental cottage that we passed at that point; so added a bit of extra pace and must have passed another 5 people on the beach alone. Off the beach, final checkpoint, 4 miles to go - just needed to settle in and leave some energy for a final climb I knew was coming. Picked off a few more tired runners who gave encouragement as we entered some woods as I prepared for the hill that I knew was coming in the final mile. As the real-life half marathon distance passed, still no hill - I wondered if the short climb I had done before was actually it, but no; it came about a half mile later than expected and was nasty - unevenly spaced, quite high woodland steps winding up the woodland - an absolute leg-killer. This slowed me to a walk but I was encouraged to pass another person as I continue through; passing a sign saying 1 mile to go that I was sure was incorrect. Finally reached the top and started the descent, unfortunately this was not fast either as was more steps, this time close together but very treacherous.  Final half mile, onto the beach and through to the finish, where I was amazed to find I had broken top 50 - I had imagined I might have squeaked into top 100 so very happy.

It turned out that late in the day the course had been altered slightly from 14.1 to 14.8 miles which had confused a lot of people checking their GPS. This year's course was a lot slower, I was 7 minutes behind the previous year's time, but 70+ places higher in the ranking. Delighted to also discover my housemate had bagged 2nd place (thanks partly to 2 DQs for not having mandatory kit); coming in about 25 minutes ahead of me - which really shows how spread the field was.

Looking forward to going back to Gower next year, could definitely give it a bit more at the start and set a better pace from the start. Will definitely do another Endurancelife stage this year and recommend the events - well organised, friendly and great fellow runners.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done Nicko that’s a great report and a good run on a tough course- especially as a hangover fuelled effort- not the sort of race I would enjoy at all.
    And well done XC guys, and Lorenzito who seems to go from strength to strength. Junior OO also came third in a local 10k yesterday which is her best run in a while.
    Another cracking effort Badbark- why did you enjoy it so much?
    We had a nice weekend in London rounded off with a steady 13 miler yesterday. 33 miles not bad in a post Mara week. I think I can declare the rest and recovery over!
  • Nicko - Cracking effort, sounds like a tough course though!

Badbark - Congrats on the podium! Great pic

Lorenzo - I have the same thoughts, although I think an Olympic distance would be enough of a challenge of my swimming ability! Great run at the XC

Gul - Enjoy the taper! How are the nerves?

Similar to DT I did my first double digit run post Abingdon yesterday. 12m with 5m at HM-Tempo pace in the middle. Pace came out at 6.22, 6.19, 6.15, 6.16, 6.37 (Turned into wind for the last 800m!) Enjoyed turning the legs over for a sustained period of time. Only 3 runs planned for this week as I've got a lot of social stuff on. My girlfriend qualifies as a Solicitor on Thursday, Charity Ball Friday, 30th birthday meal Saturday and down to London on Sunday! Will need a recovery week after all that!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Nice xc racing, Chaps. A far better effort that I think I could manage so soon after marathons.

Sounds fun, Nicko, though not the sort of fun I like!!

Gul, that rest will have done you no harm at all!! Weather conditions look pretty settled leading into the weekend, at least in these parts. I did succumb to the wine but I generally don't worry too much if running less than 15 miles. I wasn't out until mid afternoon in any event.

Nice bit of tempoing, Stevie within that long run. Congrats to your girlfriend. I recall (just about) the day I finally qualified. The conclusion of many years hard work.

Easy 4 planned over lunch for me followed by my usual spin class tonight.

• Lorenzo – Nice XC running with a family scoring double

GD – Congratulations on the team win XC!

Gul – Nice relaxed MP session. Cotton wool time now.

Nicko – Great report and performance!

OO – Good post-marathon mileage. Now that you have recovered it’s time to bag a fast shorter race.

Stevie – That’s an excellent tempo effort run. Enjoy your busy week!

DT – Enjoy your 4 miler and spin class

I took Sunday off after the Tollymore marathon but ran 7 easy miles this morning. This was without doubt the most painful run I have ever had. My quads were so sore that even a minor decline caused a grimace. Ouch and double ouch! I ended up almost walking going down a few minor slopes. :D

Tollymore was so enjoyable due to the scenery and toughness of the event. I was in third place after the first lap of a two lap race, 5 minutes behind first and 2 minutes behind second. I slowly closed the gap on second place, catching him with about 4 miles to go. I pushed hard after I overtook without looking back. I finished nearly 4 minutes ahead and almost caught the leader. I was a minute behind at the finish.

The mile splits show just how hilly the course was - mile 6 was my fastest in 5:51 and mile 8 was the slowest in 9:31. The slowest contained a 122m elevation gain. I didn’t walk at any point but most did and it was only marginally slower.

I’m in work today and everyone is asking why I’m walking so funny. At least it’s a good excuse to tell them about my podium place!

Next up for me is my 75th marathon on the 23rd of November. I’ll be getting a silver 75th medal from Marathon Club Ireland soon after. :)

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Stevie - I'm supposedly retired from marathon running  . .  nice 12 bagged prior to your social whirl  . . 

nicko -  well done at the Gower - good placing on a very tough course;  great report . .

OO - super parkrunning - don't know how you do it the week after a marathon - not to mention the subsequent 13 !!   

DT  - nice 12 - was this after wine?    

Badbark - great racing on the trail - love the podium pic !   

Lorenzo/ GDawg - sound work over the country  . .    

just over 6 today with my friend - legs still grumbling after Sat 15, despite rest yesterday
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, had a bottle of wine in the end Saturday night. Wouldn't have done so if the 12 was before midday or if the 12 was over 15. I don't tend to suffer too badly from hangovers so can get away with it.

4 easy over lunchtime, home for spin shortly.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s a great way to run Badbark, strong at the finish.
    I have a club GP tomorrow (just 3.5 miles), then a 10 mile road race next Sunday- the famous Brampton to Carlisle Road Race.  Its normally an ‘A’ race for me but I think it comes a bit soon after NY. Anywhere near last years time of 63:07 would be very pleasing.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nipped out for a cheeky 5 miler tonight. Low mojo for some reason but averaged 6.50 which is OK so soon after the XC.

Working in Dublin for next couple of days, so next run will be on Thursday. Guinness may be involved. B)
    Ticking over..
  • Nick - good report. Well done on a great result on what sounds like a tough course.
    OO - yes, that's a good tally directly following a marathon. Good luck with the races.
    Stevie - nice tempo run. Enjoy the rest of your busy week!
    Badbark - that's some great racing - not surprised you have DOMS.
    GD - speedy 5 miler. I'm sure you'll enjoy Dublin.
    5 mile recovery run this morning. Planning 6 tomorrow with a few 400m @ MP. Might do 4 easy miles on Thursday and then take a rest day on Friday.
  • Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Great results, great  training on here in 2018
    Not much running for me in 2018 only 150 miles so far including 20 Park Runs. First 10 Park Runs I ran close to 19 minutes and under but well I ran the next 9 Park Runs ran between 21 to 23 minutes. High resting heart rate,  neck, shoulder and back issues forced me to rarely run this year.  I managed a peak with of 30 miles including 15 miles on hot day in February and then I dropped off, ok it was a huge mistake trying to run for 2 hours on a  hot day, My Bad but life goes on.  My only long run was a 12km fun run in August.

Last Saturday I got close to 20 minutes again with 20:30, fell off after a decent opening half mile. My heart rate jacks up and I jog/walk along to complete the run. A cycle or two per week + my weekly Park Run to build fitness at the moment. There was a long time I would only run my Park Run once a month as my only run and well my fitness has fallen from a peak of 18:10 in Park Run in January to 22 to 23 minute Park Runs in July and August. My latest Park run is an improvement and I plan to run my 10th and final marathon next year in September. Hopefully break 3 hours and 30 minutes in my final marathon, I have ran 8 marathons between 3:04 to 3:32, I never broke 3 hours despite running a few sub 17 minute 5km, the longer distance tired me out too much and I lost time. Getting marathon 10 complete will be a huge achievement in itself.

3 runs and 2 or  3 cycles per week will be the peak or my training, Cycling on a  bike and saving myself from running too much will help me get through another marathon and build fitness without doing too much damage. I purchased 6 pairs of running shoes in 2018 despite running low mileage: 2 pairs of Nike Pegasus 35s(awesome casual/runner shoes), Nike Odyssey React, Asics 1000-5, Hoka Clifton 4 and Nike Zoom Vomero 12. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    early start today (not by Gul standards, obviously) ;)    

took car for service/mot for 7:30, so headed out from garage for 10 mile jaunt back home, including a few "efforts"  - 3 x half mile in a park, 3 more of approx 600m on a long, shallow, uphill stretch, then a mile to finish harder work, with couple of miles jog at the end.  decent session for me, legs have that "pleasant soreness" in them now  . . .   

are you heading over to RV on the Sat morn, Gul ?  (sorry if I've asked previously).  
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Good luck with building the training Sub17PR - do you have a marathon in mind for September 2019?

Sounds like a good plan Gul - what was your last marathon?

As an active runner, it's essential to rehydrate and top up your iron levels - so copious volumes of Guinness sounds ideal G-D!

Congrats on the Tollymore podium Badbark - marathon 75 will be a big milestone.

Still building distance and pace here - 40 miles in the last 7 days and hit 6:24 m/m pace for the last 500m of a 10K run today - so moving in the right direction. Slowly, slowly, ...