Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big G, I don't know how testing the bottom part of the SWC path is, but assume it's similar to the part I ran for ACC last year?  Fingers crossed Elle doesn't fancy a trip to cornwall as I'd feel too much the urge to do both.  Well done for getting out for Parkrun and enjoy Reading!  Ware Joggers vests have 'run for fun' on them, not quite as cheesy but not great.

Cal, well done on another parkrun, if you're in need of a W and if you're interested in chasing compass points (west) I can recommend Westmill out where we are, lovely trail run stunning surroundings and nice coffee shop after, bit of a train trek but can always offer a lift from the train station.  

Well done on the 6 miles progression run, good sign fitness is there.

Decided against parkrun as being sensible, and am out for a few beers tonight at my local, (pub I used to manage and live) as have my fav pub band (the one last time I saw them I was swimming across the dance floor).  Hope to be up early tomorrow morning for 3-6 miles and want to see Hertford's poppy display it looks special from the photos.

Good luck with the races and travelling tomorrow

• Thanks Rob, I have a W (Wormwood Scrubs) but I do need a West, so I'll be up for that (probably in the new year though - provided this injury doesn't bench me, I'll need to recover from Valencia).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I just looked to see what your new kit is like and it's OK, but I don't like that 'Born to Run' on it, that is a bit naff.  No pics of the shirts only the vests.   Interesting that you're all instructed to wear the new kit by a certain date, as the colours are generally the same as before.

As Mavericks we can wear old or new kit, we don't have rules like that.

Hope you can get a decent meal tomorrow night, are there any pubs nearby perhaps?

Keith - maybe a tad too soon to go up to 100 miles as Traviss's is in March isn't it?   No Boston isn't on anymore, I'm still chasing RD for my race fee to be refunded, I think I'll do one final letter then file for a CCJ.
    You could nip over to Ireland and do the Listowel Endurance race I did this year, 12 hour race there too and round a park, good tarmac surface.

Cal - ouch to the sore quads.

Robert - no swimming on the dancefloor tonight ;)  otherwise there'll be a hangover tomorrow.:#

• Well done to everyone, some of your achievements are mind boggling to me, running ultras and countless marathons is a superhuman achievement and something I'd love to emulate. 14 miles today, 1300ft and under two hours, feeling it now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    topolino - with the training you're doing you'll soon be able to do more marathons, should you wish to of course.  Plenty of hilly off road ultras to try to.

Big G - I've just been looking at races for next year and checked the Trotters website to confirm the date of the Ladies 10km, a week later next year, means it's likely to clash with Barnstaple for me although that date isn't out yet.   

No running for me today, still don't feel 100%, will run tomorrow :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that's a shame about the Ladies 10k.  Seems two of our races now clash with other local marathons then :(  

Cal, shame about that parkrun potentially being cancelled.  Have there been complaints for people, or is there another reason it may be cancelled?

Robert, I think that section of the SWCP is tough.  It was warm conditions this year and our Trotter took just over 12hrs to do it.  As a comparison, he did the 34-mile DD in under 6hrs.  I know it's totally different terrain etc, but I think it would be described as challenging!

Topolino, well done on the run.  For me, my first marathon was in 2010 but hardly did any until 2017, when I kind of got the bug.  Shades is partly to blame - just a warning ;)  

It's much nicer weather here this morning.  Quite cool, but no rain and the sun's out.  No running for me though, unfortunately.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's just not possible sometimes not to clash with other events.  Availability of venue is usually a key factor.    In all fairness most of the runners in the Ladies 10km wouldn't have a dilemma about which race to run but there could be an impact on marshals etc. as I expect quite a few Trotters like to do Barnstaple.

Will be nice weather for your drive today.

Just looking at accommodation for Loch Ness, even more expensive now but I can't book until flights come out, I expect prices will go even higher then! :'(
  • Big G - a dog walker had a moan, apparently, but it seems to be sorted now. Fingers crossed.
    No running today (on physio's advice). It was raining heavily when I woke up so I wasn't too sad about that, although it's lovely now. I did a challenging Vinyasa yoga class instead and managed to miss the delivery of my new shoes as a result. Annoying. Well, it's not like I could wear them until after my physio's given me the OK, anyway.
  • Cal, Well done on listening to the physio, rest will help I'm sure! know its tough when you got Valencia on the brain!  Westmill is best when dry as can get a bit muddy.

Shades, no swimming last night! hope you feeling better soon!

Topolino the climbing you're doing is making my glutes wince!!! 

Big G, had a read of a few blogs reviews of classic quarter, seems a tough section of the path so may need to consider that for another year to give both events their full attention.  Hope you have a good drive!

Decided to stay in last night, weather was a bit crap and once it stopped raining fireworks started and our dog isn't a fan, we have had to lose our internal doors as he has destroyed them when there have been fireworks.  He's a 15 year old staffie so probably wont be around much longer so we'll get some doors once he's gone.

5 miles for me around mid day, no screaming glute or any pain from the hip so fingers crossed on the fix.  WIll have another easy week this week before considering stepping back up. 

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just popping in to update on yesterday's performance (or lack of!). Will give a quick update as I know if I wait until I've got more time I'll never get round to doing it.

Yesterday was Cognac marathon. I have done this marathon quite a few times as it's my local one and it really is a lovely race. Not too big - yesterday there were about 480 runners for the marathon - and a course which takes in a few chateaux, an Abbey, a distillery, sleepy villages and lots of vineyards. There is a bit of support (if you count grannies leaning out of their windows or the odd group of exciteable children) and several "animations" in the form of a couple of people strumming guitars or hammering away at bongo drums. I like it anyway.
    I hadn't done anywhere as much mileage as I would have liked so my initial goal of going for another sub 3:30 had gone out of the window some time ago and been toned down to aiming for around 3:40/45. I'd also had a bit of a pain in my heelbone which I'd been pretending wasn't there but had been getting worse so I hadn't run for about a week before in the hope that it would just disappear (it hasn't).
    I got up reasonably early on race morning and painted my toenails green, put my lucky pants on and then started running round packing my race stuff. Ate some cereal and chucked a couple of bananas in my bag to eat in the car. Left about 20 mins later than planned and arrived with about 20mins to go before the start which is actually pretty good for me. However they had moved the admin bit since last time so we had a longer walk than anticipated to pick up my cognac/tshirt etc - I had my bib already but hadn't got round to fixing it on my vest. Anyway, all that resulted in a gallop to the start and OH heaving me over the railings with 4 mins to go until the gun went off.
    I was quite far back and it took what felt like ages (in reality about a minute or so) to get over the line and then we were off.
    The last time I did this marathon was 2015 and they have changed the set up and course so for the first 8km we were with the 11k runners. Unfortunately this accounted for an awful lot of people on narrow roads where you were completely hemmed in. Although I intended to start easy I was horrified when I realised that the first 5k had taken me 30mins. Once we had peeled off from the others I was able to get into my stride a bit more but knew there was no way I could catch up on lost time without having a massive burnout. I stuck to around 5:15/5:30 kms for the rest of the race and though it felt quite comfortable I couldn't go any faster really either. On a positive note nobody overtook me from 20k onwards and I just trundled on but I was still willing the kms away especially from the 35k point. Mind you I always do will these last ones away, doing all sorts of head games to take my mind of things and the will to just stop!
    I crossed the line in a time of 3:52 which I feel neutral about. It is ok but that is about it. I think this is maybe the beginning of the end and I am just doomed to getting slower as I get older.
    I had a few cognac schweppes for the free apéritif afterwards and bought some new YSL liquid eyeliner which helped to raise my spirits a bit but still  :/
    Now I am going to have a winter of base training and reflect on my plans and goals for next year and my running in general. No races planned for the rest of the year but am hoping to do that coastal trail race that I like (the one where I won a giant biscuit last time) in February.

I have my session in that freezing box tomorrow evening (can't remember the name of it offhand) so will let you know how that goes. Not looking forward to it really but there you go. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, it must be a bit of a balancing act with the Councils etc. I’m wondering if there may be issues at the new one near me in the summer (along the sea front) as it’ll be busier then with dog walkers, holiday makers etc. Fingers crossed it’ll be fine, but it’s a lapped course and narrow in places. Hadn’t really heard of the alphabet challenge etc - sounds good though.

MF, that’s annoying feeling you were getting held up at the start. I had the same at Yorkshire. I don’t think it’s inevitable you’ll get slower!!  You said yourself your training wasn’t as good as you’d like, and you’ve been really busy at work etc, so I’m sure if it all comes together you’ll do a good time at another event.

I’ve arrived at Reading with no issues - it was a good drive really. No fish and chips available though unfortunately, so had to get a Burger King.  Not ideal, but that’s the way it is and I’ve ran well on that before. I misread the race instructions the other day and thought it was 2xout-and-backs, but it’s actually 4x. Not sure what shoes to wear at the moment in terms of road shoes or trail shoes but I’ll decide tomorrow when I get there. If it’s only a short section of mud I expect I’ll just go with road shoes. 

I saw on their Facebook page that someone is collecting race shirts for a charity to send abroad (I think) so I’ve brought a bag of about 20 up with me, and threw away about 5 others that are too worn. Better they get some use than sent to landfill and they were taking up space too although I’ve still got more than I need. I reluctantly gave away my new Yorkshire shirt - the logo on it is massive, but also really stiff and so it doesn’t sit comfortably. I washed it after one use but it’s still the same so it’s in the bag. I almost put the 50 parkrun shirt in, which I don’t expect I’ll wear anymore, but took it back out at the last minute - not sure why really!  I think I had visions of me getting another shirt and kind of lining them up, but the next shirt is 250 which will take years to get to, if I manage it. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope the shin is responding well to the rest.   So annoying when a delivery is missed. :# 

Robert - good to hear you didn't get trashed on your night out!

The firework parties/displays seem to go on for a longer period every year, worrying for pet owners.   So your staffie obviously is in charge in your house, he sounds a right character.  Doors are useful in a house. ;) 

A pain free run after an injury is a joy.

mamafox - thank you for your lovely report.   Still a very good run, sorry to hear you're disappointed with it.  As well as the time you lost in the first 5k, what you also use up in adrenaline/stress of not being able to run your own pace also has a detrimental effect.   It's definitely not the beginning of the end, you know that your training wasn't as you would have liked and that you were lacking on the mileage that you need to run your best.

Enjoy your ice box today, how are the legs?

Big G - I believe Teignmouth have 2 route options for their parkrun, maybe one is for the bad weather and also high holiday season perhaps?

Sorry to hear you had to resort to a Burger King.  Hope you can get a decent breakfast.

Have a good race today, hope it's not too muddy.

Back running today, RHR was a bit raised this morning but I felt good and back to normal after 3 days of feeling just not right.   Did a gentle 5 miles, starting my base training today.   Mild but a bit of a headwind on the first part of my run.
  • Morning shadies.. .
    Yesterday I did my bit in remembering those that made the ultimate sacrifice to give us the lives we have today..I ran the Remembrance Day marathon in less than ideal conditions, huge puddles lots of thick treacle like mud and hidden tree roots. Unfortunately one of those tree roots got me and I overstretched my right calf 2/3 of the way through the second lap. I struggled on and finished in 3:29:30. There was a 2 min race pause at 11am which was an emotional tribute..
    Im going to take a week off to recover and then get training back underway ready for my next event 16 December. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - that must have been painful for the last few miles.  Hope you recover quickly.

What's your event on the 16th December?
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Hi Shadies, I’ve been busy catching up on what everyone has been doing, some great running by the looks of things, also congratulations Big G on finding some happiness on the relationship front.
     I’m still running but no where near marathon distance, usually between 7-10 miles. If I had got a ballot place for London then I would have had to step it up but I was quite relieved to miss out!
     I’ve worked more than I intended to but it’s been enjoyable and I managed a good few days off to enjoy the amazing summer we had.
     Cal I went to Turkey for 10 days in June and had some dental work done, a big white filling at the back for £40 compared to £180 here. Dentistry is very good out there all very modern, which is in complete contrast to the construction industry where health and safety is non existent and people wear flip flops on site and ladders are often lengths of wood nailed together!
    Apparently a lot of British people now go on holiday to get their teeth fixed as it’s very reasonable in a lot of countries, maybe a triple trip abroad, holiday, race and densit!
  • Shades - the event on the 16th is the SVN festive frolics 6hr timed. That is the race I'm using for the fatigue testing I'm going to be doing. I might also do a marathon on the 28th December so I can collect my 12 marathons in 12mnths award but I've still got to book that one. My calf has been pretty tender today but I am able to walk so I don't think there is major damage. .
  • Some great running from all over the weekend.

10 easy miles today. Before I went out there was small showers lasting for about a minute so I thought it's not to bad. Set off and after 2 miles the showers turned to rain for about 15mins so got soaked however still enjoyed the run.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jugula. Good to hear from you. 

Iain, I heard from some people today that yesterday’s run was very tough. 

I woke up in plenty of time to make the journey and there were massive holdups getting to the venue. Really frustrating but I still got there ok. 

I was really unsure what to wear and opted for road shoes. Actually, I do think it possibly could have been better in trail shoes but I did get around without incident, but had to be careful in a few sections of each lap. 

I got going and the first mile was really bad, in that my legs felt heavy - at this point I thought I was going to have a bad day!

I got into it and just walked the very muddy bits and started catching and overtaking a few that had gone off too quickly. I was more or less consistent in my pace, and went through half way in around 1:57, and I stopped each time at the aid station for a drink and a snack if I wanted it. 

I caught up a group of runners who were plainly running well within themselves, as they were chatting etc and just made it look very easy. It turns out one of them is knocking on the door for GB 24hr team, where he needs to do 150+ miles to qualify. So today he was planning on running for 6hrs as a training run. Amazing really. 

I kept on plodding and the third lap went quickly as I was running with that group, but they stopped for a minute or two at the aid station and I kept going. They caught me up later to carry on with their event, and I finished my marathon in around 3:53:30 (official time TBC). 

The route itself was very pleasant, and was essentially out and backs along a flat section of the river Thames. I’ve done a couple of their other events at Dorney Lake itself, and the race HQ was more or less in the same place, but it was a totally different route. Lovely boats, houses and Windsor Castle in sight for part of it. The medal is a photo of the castle. 

It was a nice event and friendly etc, and although I’m happy with my time I really am not a fan of off road, and this wasn’t challenging at all. I’d do it again though I think as they are good ones.  Another one ticked off anyway. 

I was lucky as I ran it in the dry but 5mins after leaving it chucked it down with rain. I was glad to be in the car at that point!!

I’m just at Bristol getting fed, and then it’s committee tonight so a quick turnaround at home, following a shower etc. 

Some pics of the amazing Dorney facilities. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Jugular - good to know all is well with you and you're still running :)  
    In my last job one of the guys I worked with had a villa in Turkey and he booked 3 weeks leave from work, had to pull a few strings to get that much time off, but he came back with new teeth, implants I think.

Iain - hopefully the calf will heal quickly.  I've noted your SVN event.

steven - is it this weekend your first off road race?

Big G - another good race from you and a good time considering your snacking and walking the muddy bits.   Lovely photos, it's a really impressive venue, and looks like you had no wind there to deal with.   I found it strange when I was driving there on race morning to hit rush hour traffic, the negative of a weekday race.  I would do one of their events again, really nice people and a good race atmosphere.

6 miles for me today, good running weather.  RHR is normal today and I feel fine so hopefully that mild lurgy is history.
  • Solid running by all. Iain, sorry you tweaked your calf - hopefully it's nothing serious. Well done on getting through it.
    mamafox - still a sub-4 when you've been working your butt off and not running as much as you'd like. I think it's down to the job rather than your age.
    Jugula - welcome back. I'm not really sold on the foreign dentistry - the cost of travel and time involved would offset any savings, and I trust my dentist. Anyway, work's all done now.

Saw the physio yesterday. He is most concerned about the sore shin although I'm mostly concerned about my hip as it took cortisone to calm it down last time. He did some stuff and told me to take some days off, so I'm benched until Friday, at least as far as running is concerned. I think because I had such a good weekend last weekend (with the parkrun PB and the strong 21) I thought I'd recovered fully from Chester, when I obviously hadn't. It was that rainy 12 miler in the dark that did for me. I need to be more sensible going forward.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes they are good events.  I've got another one of theirs in December, around Dinton Pastures.  That's where I did that 6hr challenge earlier this year, and I was hoping to maybe get an extra lap completed in December, but there is now an Xmas party that evening so I think it may end up being "just" the marathon as I'll need to get back on time.  The chap I mentioned with hopes of qualifying for Team GB is called Nathan Flear - don't know if you're aware of him or seen him around?  I follow him on Strava now so it'll be interesting to see his training etc.  Like I say, he just seemed incredibly comfortable yesterday but he's a sub-3 runner at the marathon distance, so running around at 4hr pace is easy for him I suppose, and he did 39 miles yesterday in 5:44.  

Just letting you know that the committee didn't like the idea of taking on DMV, which is totally fair enough.  The Club Secretary did say that Sibleco would expect to see all the profits so they could donate to charity, so there would be a lot of work for the club, with no reward really.  There were other concerns too so it looks like the race is no more, which is a shame.

Sorry to hear that Cal :(  Let's hope it clears quickly.  I'm sure we've all been guilty of maybe doing an extra session or two when feeling good and then picking an injury (well, I know I have!).  It's always easy to look back and regret something, and it is hard getting the balance right, but sometimes these things just happen (unfortunately!).

Committee last night and I picked up a role for a club time trial, which is happening at the start of December.  Basically, we have a handicap time trial, and the event was in danger of not happening (which would have been annoying for the Club Champs, as it's the final event of the year!) so I've offered to sort out the handicap.  Being based on people's recent shorter distance times it sounds straight forward to estimate everyone's finish time, but there's always a lot of light-hearted chat about if the handicap is right.   The aim is for everyone to cross the finish line more or less together, but that never happens, and it won't happen this year either!  It's just a bit of fun really, with a meal etc afterwards.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well at least your training is done for Valencia so no need to worry about that.  I would rest and that includes doing none or only very gentle Pilates/Yoga so that you can recover in time for your next marathon.   I'm sure you'd recovered from Chester quite quickly but you did say that the 12 mile run didn't go well and you just didn't feel comfortable.

Big G - I'm not surprised about the DMV races, not as if it's just a 10km which the Trotters could take easily in their stride.  

I haven't heard of that ultra runner, I do subscribe to an online ultra magazine but as with the other online ones, I'm not very good at actually reading them, they're backed up in my Inbox.  I've only done a couple of UK ultras this year and they didn't have any of the national ultra runners there.

Good luck with the handicap, unfortunately they never work out for lots of reasons, but it's all good fun.

I know I've said before that I've had tough Pilates classes but today she really worked us like never before, we were all trashed.  Felt sorry for a couple of beginners, I kept whispering to them 'it's not usually this hard'.   But it was a good class, think I will ache tomorrow.  Instructor put us into one stretch, class was focusing on glutes today, and she warned anyone with a hip replacement to be careful and then said that the rest of us would probably need a hip replacement after doing that stretch.  I struggled with a fair bit of the class but amazingly I could do that stretch OK and without pain.  Am resting the rest of today though. 
  • What was the stretch? Might be something I could benefit from!
    It's a lovely day and I'm waiting in for a) my shoes and b) the boiler man (to replace a hose inside that is leaking - fortunatley I have Homecare so I don't have to pay for that).
    On the plus side, my parkrun 50 shirt finally arrived. I'm on 61 currently so I will at least get some wear out of it before I get my 100!
  • Mammafox, hope a few days have cleared the air, it's easy to be disappointed when our races don't come together for whatever reason.  Still a reasonable performance and sounds like a nice race after the start fiasco.  Worth an email to the organisers as if they get enough sometimes it's enough to make them change.

Jugula sounds like a good excuse for a holiday going to Turkey to get your teeth done, may use that as an excuse if I need some work done.

Iain hope the calf is okay, well done on another marathon, had a couple of friends there one from my club Julia prob took a bit longer than you to finish but it was her 100th.

Big G another good performance well done, looks like you had a decent bit of weather for your run!  Well done on picking up the role and good luck, can imagine you can't please everyone and there are always going to be arguments.

Shades, sounds like a good class today, I keep on saying it I need to do more core work but doesn't seem to be many classes to fit around my work.

Cal, good news for you is the training is done and you wont lose much fitness between now and 2nd Dec, worth listening to the physio (we pay them loads of money) and rest will do more good than an extra session this close to the marathon.

Went to the physio, seems then strength work has helped as my results were a lot better than when I went a couple of weeks ago.  Mentioned the FP in the foot and she massage under my arch, it was tight and Physio mentioned shockwave treatment.  Will still continue the core exercises along side it, but wont be able to run during the 3 treatments which need to be done 4-7 days between.  If I get going straight away I could be okay for start of marathon training mid December but does mean missing my 5 miler, start of XC and hitting 50 parkruns before xmas but a small price to pay really as priority is races next year.

• cal glad the shirt turned up! and good that you have homecare, I'm sure you didn't need any further bills.
  • Shoes are here too and holy hell they're bright!
    Sensible for us both to rest, it seems, although I'm still intending to do my parkruns. I mentioned to my physio that I have lest discomfort when I run fast and he said it was because my form was better and I was lighter on my feet at speed. Makes sense.
  • Shades- yes my first ever trail run is on Saturday. Looking forward and dreading it at the same time. Hopefully I'll enjoy it.
  • steven, Remember my 1st was actually completely different was in Red Rock Canyon desert in Las Vegas 40 degrees and 500m elevation, got lost 4 times ran 16 miles for a half marathon!  Good luck, you'll love it!

Cal I asked my physio the same and she gave me the same response.

All booked in for shockwave treatment next 3 Tuesdays.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama-Thats a great time with the lack of full training,can't really say you're getting slower unless you have a good training block.
    Big G-Another solid race from yourself,think your clubs a bit harsh saying you can't wear the old kit.
    Rob/Cal-Hope you both get over your respective niggles.
    No running since last Sunday for myself as I've just not felt good,and a really busy week in work.Went for my lactate test today,probably should have delayed it a week as still a bit sniffy.The data is quite interesting and good to hear I'm doing my long runs at about the right pace,could even go slightly faster,and my speed work(when I bother) is actually a bit fast,as it was a present I don't mind too much but probably wouldn't pay for it myself.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Cal - I don't know what the stretch was called and I've just briefly tried to do it again and I can't remember how we got into it.  I'll try again later.

A woman in my Pilates class has a pair of Nikes the same colour and they are very bright, can't look at them for too long, probably need to wear shades!  They are very striking.

Robert - that's a good visit to the physio and doing your S & C exercises has certainly paid off.  

steven - well I hope the weather is kind to you and you enjoy your first off road race.  I'm sure it'll be the first of many.

Ian - that's interesting feedback on your LT testing.  Good to know that you're there or thereabouts with your long run pace, but I think your PB results reflect that anyway.

Rest day for me today, from running that is.   I signed up today for my first ever circuit class.  I've always avoided circuits as I don't want the high intensity stuff so this class was called Gentle Circuits and is for over 45's.  There were only 3 there younger than me the rest were a good few years older than me, I think 12 of us altogether.   Only 45 minutes so I thought 'how hard can it be' :'( Really nice guy from the gym that was the instructor and the class is different every week, this week cardio and core.  Surprisingly I really enjoyed it but already I'm starting to ache. I did stuff I've never done before, like TRX, boxing and basketball, have horrendous memories of netball at school and have never touched a basketball in my life but actually enjoyed the basketball part.   Thankfully due to my lack of flexibility of my right forefoot I'm excused burpees and anything more than a few seconds of plank/bridge but was given alternatives to do.  Definitely going to do it again, every week hopefully.  I was tired at the end though and really friendly crowd.