Help with winter running shoes purchase

Hello everybody.

I would really need advice about which shoes to buy for road running (approximately 80% asphalt and 20% gravel) in snowy/wet/cold conditions.
I started running in march 2017 to lose weight, but began to love it shortly after. Although I have been preety consistent with it, I had some minor stage injuries in first two months (shin splints, plantar fasciitis, knee pains), related to weight and inappropriate footwear (regular sport shoes with foam soles not meant for running). Since this was going nowhere good, I went to a sport store to analyze my feet and buy proper running shoes in hope to run injurie free. I was told to be a mild pronator and something between a low and normal foot arch. Tried on some shoes for overpronators and settled for a pair of Asics Gel Kayanos 23 since I got a great deal for them. Right from the start it felt immensely better and I haven't had a problem until november 2017 when I was ramping up distance too quickly (ambitious running begginer problem). That resulted in huge ITBS problems in both of my legs and I was out of running for almost 4 months. Since that tought me a lesson, I was getting really gradually into it again in march 2018 with paying great attention to my body. Untill this day I had no new injuries appart from occasional muscle soreness/heavy leg feeling/fatigue after some of my harder runs, which is normal. I also had to change shoes inbetween, because my Kayanos were too beat up (logged 1500k in them, but still use them for <8k runs as they are still ok for such distances). I bought Asics GT-1000 6 and after 200k I can say that they suit me just fine (no abnormal pains, injuries, nothing).
But since the winter is here, the snow is coming and I'm not injured, I would like to keep running through the whole year. My Kayanos and GT's won't stand a chance against snow and water, so I'll have to invest in some watterproof shoes. The shoe HAS to be with Goretex to repel water/moisture as long as possible and it HAS to have quality soles for good grip.
Because I live in a small village and have the nearest sport shop 30k away (which doesn't have so many models to choose from, specially if you are an overpronator/underpronator) I don't have much of a choice to begin with. I looked online for models and those made it into the selection:

TRAIL SHOES:

-Asics Gel-Sonoma 3 GTX
-Adidas Terrex Tracerocker GTX
-Salomon Sense Escape GTX Nocturne
-Salomon Trailster GTX

ROAD SHOES:

-Asics GT-1000 7 GTX (overpronation)

Now as you can see, we have a problem. All trail shoes are for neutral runners and only the road ones are meant for an overpronator.
As much as I'm intrigued and mesmerized by beautiful trails that people run in (I would REALLY like to run them if I could), I just simply don't have the luxury to be a trail runner in a place where I live. We have no real trails around here where I could log in the distance that I need. On the other hand we have plenty of small roads which give me a lot of possibilities and variations that I can choose from (no need to run on the same route over and over again).
What I want to tell with that is if I buy the trail shoes, they will be used only in snow (which is not necessarily bad), while the road ones will be used also throughout the year in very wet conditions.

My questions are:

1.)Should I go with the road ones (because I'm almost sure they'll fit my feet perfect), or should I try on the neutral ones and buy the ones that will also fit my feet?
2.)Are trail shoes going to be too hard to run in for road use and are they going to hurt my feet since they are neutral?
3.)Are road shoes going to provide enough grip in snow and on icy parts?
4.)If I should buy trail shoes and they start to hurt my feet, will overpronation insoles help?

I apologize for such a long post, but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Not all trail shoes are neutral.  When I used to run off road I had a pair of Asics Trabuco, they're for mild overpronators and a good shoe.   Most trail shoes are not waterproof either, you'll just have to get used to wet feet.     Road shoes can withstand getting wet but with all shoes you need to let them dry out in between runs .   You can get socks that are supposed to keep your feet dry, never tried them though.

From your favourite road shoe, ask the manufacturer they usually produce a 'trail' version with a more robust upper and rugged sole and maybe Gore-Tex too.

Hokas have good cushioning and can be used for both road and trail and you will get a lot of miles out of them.

No trail shoes will deal with ice, you'd need to put grippers on them if the ice is really bad.

I would suggest you make the journey to visit a good running shop or two to try on some shoes and speak to the staff to get advice.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Jeez man, don't overthink it. Why do they need to be waterproof? I've found that if it's really wet waterproof shoes still let the water in from that big hole your foot goes in but then the water can't get out. I personally think you're better off with a shoe that drains well. I'm guessing you live somewhere colder than me but even when it's snowy here I don't need anything but my normal running shoes. For the limited times you want a waterproof shoe I don't think it's worth it, as at other times they'll just make your feet hot and sweaty. I also really don't mind wearing my road shoes on hard packed trails, even if it is a bit muddy. Trail running is still just running, even though some people like to talk about it like it's a different sport altogether.

As Shades says, once there's ice, nothing will help apart from some orienteering shoes with metal studs. 
  • SHADES: I was also looking at the Trabucos, but apparently they are not meant for overpronators anymore, but for neutral runners and underpronators; based on the info from their website.

I don't have a problem getting wet when it's lets say, above 5 degrees Celsius. But when the temperatures drop below that, it's no fun anymore having an ice cold bath with your feet.
    That beeing said, I'm kind of aware of the problems with Goretex material: they can get wet from the top opening or from extremely wet conditions, their breathability is subpar to regular mesh running shoes (which is ok with me for really cold conditions usage) and drying them out takes longer.

BUT can it be that Goretex will perform better in snow?

I know that as it gets warmer the snow turns to slush which is more problematic, but since I run on the roads (which are plowed and salted) the slush will either melt quite fast or freeze again, so I'm positive that there will be no snow or water above my ankles most of the time.

So if grip shouldn't be a concern even with road shoes as you say (only on ice they all fail) should I just be looking at the road shoes suitable for my type of running style and forget about the neutral ones?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    grizzly - As you're expecting such extreme weather, where do you live?  

I think HA77 is right, you are overthinking the issue.  Just go and try on some shoes that are comfortable for you.  Try the Hokas, some of them have beefy soles so that will help a bit keeping the foot dry and they are suitable for trail and road.

You can buy waterproof gaiters for running, can't you?

I ran quite a few marathons in Trabucos and they were fine for me.
  • I live in Slovenia. It's not so extreme (it rarely drops below 20 degrees Celsius) but I'm just the type of a person that is rather safe than sorry. And I have no experiences running in snow, hence all the questions :#
    Yes, gaiters and waterproof socks have also been taken into consideration.

Thank you for all of your advice, I'm sure they will help me find what I'm looking for :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    grizzly - I went to Slovenia to do the Ljubljana marathon a few years ago and it was starting to get cold then, late October.  Had a lovely time there.

That explains your expected running conditions for the winter, keep warm and good luck finding your winter kit/shoes.
  • Glad to hear that you had a great time here :) I still want to have a take at Ljubljana marathon myself sometime.

Thank you. I will try to make a good purchase that'll keep me satisfied.
  • If it rarely drops below 20C, I suspect you’ll be fine on the snow front  :)

Either way, the above is great advice. I value waterproof trainers for coaching rugby - that is when not actually running about and getting warm. When I wore them for running, they were too hot and wouldn’t drain any water that did get in. Perhaps hello some good warm socks - Seal Skins can Ben good I’ve heard. 
  • Thanks Sorequads, I also heard about the Sealskinz beeing a godsend for winter :)

The funny thing on the other hand is, that in our countries only running forum (which bloomed about ten years ago and is now completely dead) almost all people used Goretex shoes for winter with almost no bad experience (go figure). Anyway, I had to look for some more opinions and read pretty much every Goretex related topic on the web, and to my surprise people everywhere else are ditching the Goretex for their usual running shoes!

Now if this isn't weird I don't know what is...and I end up confused even more :#
    I guess I'll have to go with what my gut tells me and hope for the best :D
  • Apologies for hijacking the thread but as a newbie I cant create a new thread. Was anybody out running the fells yesterday Sunday 18/11/2018) around the Mungrisdale area of the Lakes. I found a rucksack which would be used either by runners or cyclists which I have retained for safekeeping and now trying to trace an owner.
  • Any more people around, to share their experiences? :D