Fartlek training ?

Hello guys and girls i need a simple routine to follow to increase speed and endurance.

Recently completed c25k and have ran a personal best of 11:32 for a 1.5 mile.

What should i do to increase endurance and speed.

The next logical step i can think of is increasing endurance to run a 10k, using c210k.

But i'd like to increase speed.

Any apps or training programs to point me into the right direction would be helpful.

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I love doing fartlek, it can be as hard or easy as you like and take in any range of paces. I do a all sorts of different fartleks - 8x 400m hard, 200m recovery, 8-10x 2min hard, 1 min recovery, just picking landmarks on a run and running hard to the next landmark, doing an undulating route and run hard on the uphill with recovery on the flat and downhill. I generally prefer it to doing an interval session where you have a standing recovery.

You could even try just running hard between lightposts or something similar, then jogging until you recover and do it again. Just experiment and see what you like and works for you.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've started adding a progression into the end of my mid-week mid-distance runs.  5-6 miles at a fairly easy pace, then for the last mile I gradually increase the speed - including on the last half mile uphill to my house. 

I alternate that with 6 x 400m intervals with a 15 min warm up/cool down sandwich on the opposite weeks.