Loss of control over leg while running and footdrop

2»

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Mr P - how active is your life away from running - and do you do any other exercises apart from running? Note I am not an expert on this but I am currently suffering from similar issues off and on. Basically I spend vast swathes of my life sat on my arse, and, even though I run and run and run, the perspective I've been given is that combination of inactivity/activity is contributing to a gradual decay/degradation of all other supporting systems causing a range of symptoms, including quite a severe left foot slap, toe dive, soleus, calf and quad dysfunction that creeps in more and more the longer I run, but can also surprisingly cause me to miss a step just walking around when I am not in shorts occasionally. I am currently dragging my arse through a much broader range of movements and exercises and finding it a big help, not only in addressing my symptoms but in becoming fitter and stronger overall.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    That's interesting Lowrez.  I also have similar issues (right leg) even when walking a couple of miles - bizarrely less pronounced when running than walking.  I also spend a lot of time sitting (desk job for 30+ years) so yes, general atrophy of supporting muscles/ligaments makes sense.  In fact, now that I think of it, my lower right leg possibly suffers most because I tend to cross right over left when I'm sitting.

Time to address the "use it or lose it" issue!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear abut your symptoms too Nessie, I have also driven a desk for many years, and am probably a sloucher on everything I sit on - well now I am a considered thinker about my posture and am trying to sit right. I have to admit to being very lackadaisical about doing something about this which is a bit daft given efforts to address this seem to be beneficial; I must apply more structure to giving time to this; its too easy for the rest of your life to steal you away; I have a set of glute exercises a physio gave me and I keep getting to number 3 on the list of 10 or so and someone or something will distract me and I never get beyond that. Maybe I should leave the house and start doing this stuff in the park - like they do in Japan?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Life does tend to get in the way of these things.  I've started the "plank" challenge several times - working  up from 20 seconds to 5 minutes over 30 days.  I've never got past a minute yet - not because I'm a feeble weakling, but if I try to do it when the kids are around, they try to sit on me, so I leave it until they are in bed.....and then forget or can't be bothered.

Need to be more focussed......
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Forgetting or being distracted by other things is my main problem I think - I agree we need to be more focused. I am laughing at you becoming a chair for your kids. Mine are in their 20s now so I don't suffer from that fate. I must add planking to my list of things to do. Maybe if I get my phone to remind me of these things it would at least punch them up into my consciousness from time to time. 
  • I know this thread is super old, but did they ever figure out what was wrong and causing the drop foot? I started experiencing the same issue on my left leg in early 2017.  Never really got better, and has now started to affect my right leg. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis April 2018. :(