Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    Bus, I doubt if I mentioned more than once the tuna/bagel combo. However it seemed to have gripped the threads collective whatever.

Come on son! You mentioned it repeatedly  :D:D:smile:

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    RicF said:

I did a hill session minutes after a fish and chips meal. The only thing I noticed was I recovered faster after the run was over.

Come on now.  :D;)

• Definitely more than a few times that one Ric :-)

Nicky Spinks famously had fish and chips half way through her double Bob Graham (which probably counts as a hill session - though I imagine without the pace involved!).

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Don't think so SG. I had enough piss taking at the first installment so why would I keep repeating it?

Hasn't stopped others mind. What ever brightens up a dull day.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Don't make me leaf through your posts...I'll do it, you know im time rich  :D
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Did Reg go back through the threads posts to find 'you-know-who'?

Of course there's the possibility he saved the more salacious images for later consideration despite his assertion that she wasn't his type.

Why he should liken her to a transistor radio is beyond me though.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't resist Ric old son, and I know you'll have a chuckle at the below.
    It certainly shows how long we've been turning out on here!

1. Today.  "Bus, I doubt if I mentioned more than once the tuna/bagel combo. However it seemed to have gripped the threads collective whatever."
    2. Dec 2016 - "I've sort of kept silent about my own running on tuna bagels since an adverse comment came my way about it, which reminds me, Where's Dachs got to?  Haven't eaten in that fashion for years actually."
    3. Dec 2016. "For anyone not aware of the tuna bagel situation. I'd wrap up one in cling film, and along with a pint of water, set off for a run. I'd eat nothing for the first mile. I'd stop, have a stretch out."
    4. July 2013 (!) "averaging 7:45's, for an 85 mile week. Ate two tuna bagel rolls and drank 1500ml on this one and weighed on return the same as I did when I left. Nice to have my lad follow me on his bike for once. "
    5. August 2013 "setting out and drank 500mls every 5 miles, tuna bagel at 10 miles also. Average pace 7:35 min mls, despite being at conversational effort and nearly 1000ft of climbs. The large box of 'Lindors' are"
    6. August 2013. "Norfolk Relay. By replication I mean eating a tuna bagel and downing a litre (at least) of some isotonic mix less than five minutes before the start. If I go sub 30 minutes without blowing a gasket,"
    7. Septem,ber 2013 "Cheers Seb. In 24 hours I should be halfway.  Hardest bit is timing the arrival of the incoming runner with me scoffing a tuna bagel and downing a litre of isotonic drink. (Takes me 4 minutes) No kidd"
    8. October 2014 "And I don't eat tuna bagels. Anymore. Already had a tin of lager and finished the wine though. Good! In view of Deans not universally recognised HM fun run of  73:43, I have now started on 800m and 15"
    9. Feb 2015 "nheritance,buying a house in the days prices were very low, living a very frugal lifestyle, wife working, topping up your readies with some gardening, and bulk buying tuna bagel"
    10. July 2013 "start, a one mile jog, scoff a bagel filled with tuna, chased down with 500ml of water and then spend the best part of two hours stop/start mucking about. Multiple pit stops inc. So hot conditions, s"
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    But hey, we all need a niche, it's what gives what are merely names on a screen character!

• Me - long race reports - parking situations, training zones
    • Bus - running through stuff that would cripple a donkey, elevation stats, mad fell races
    • Dean - winning top stuff, surprisingly "normal" xc versus road stuff
    • Simon - race quantity king
    • Pete - parkrun/race combo 
    • Matt - fell races, ridiculous natural ability v can't be assedness (!). Burnley.
    • Reg - Racing through mad circumstances, massively good at xc versus road (whilst still being no average runner on the road)
    • Dachs - developed into a ridiculous racing snake - dry as a desert brought the lightening Woodley parkrun to the attention of the mainstream
    • Phil - excellent "researcher", and local anecdote aficionado
    • Muds - king of tempo racing
    • Lit - brings the level of feminine and posh up to...well...on the scale.
    • Joe Bloggs - one half of the most pretty running couple ever seen. Mad training. Great reports.
    • Stevie Who - hot young riser - deffo one to watch for 2019
    • Wool - clubmate, now a running mate, loves to give me some good natured abuse, and remind me i can't chat as much nonsense on here as before, as he's physically in my week to week world!
    • Aley - legendary past runner - world of tips and encouragement.
    • Scotty E  - the most hard luck stories of any runner i've ever heard of, but still keeps massively positive and encouraging. Superb runner when he gets the chance too! Managed never to meet despite my trips to the south coast
    • Scott Pulley - i see the young lad's strava times and races - tonneload of potential.  Despite being HW/South coast based, never yet crossed paths

Anyone else who is a fairly regular poster I'm missing?! Let me know!!

Any lurkers want a critique?
  • SG thats really made me chuckle. Bit of pressure on with my description now!
  • You are time rich, SG! I think that should read "leg-end" rather than legend, btw. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Threshold racing, Stevie, threshold. I have no time for this tempo bollocks :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Yes, i think the official description of "Tempo racing" is when you've been beaten by someone you shouldn't be and tell them, "It was just a tempo"!  :p
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Surely I am known for my commemorative plates?
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

So, I think we can sum most people up in two words, actually:

Ric: Tuna bagel

Me: Commemorative plates

SG: Monstered goon

PMJ: Peeping Tom

Scott: Damaged arsehole

• Yes exactly, I say (to myself!) when being passed "well done - just a threshold effort for me today". I'll rarely bring it up afterwards (unless reporting in all honesty to the thread ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Now now, Dachs, I think you'll find I've only ever used the words monstered and goon once ever ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Muds, my racing thoughts are generally about 95% of the race wondering why i'm doing it, do I need to still be doing it, and then pure magic when you see that finish line, followed by all manner of loving the regaling every miniscule deet to maxola effect
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Incidentally, since you were talking about it, Ric is right that I do often eat immediately before going out for a run, and it seems to work OK for me.  This is not by any kind of design, but is purely to do with trying to fit running in and around my family's rather needy insistence that we spend at least half an hour a day together.

Not tuna bagels though.  I hate tuna.  Running after eating a tuna bagel would involve a vomiting session that would, ironically, probably have improved the tuna taste by mixing it with stomach juices.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Nice image Dachs. My daughter did an apocalypitic vomit in her bed on Wednesday, I took the vomit drenched duvet downstairs and cleaned it up. Upon exiting the garage, I spotted a piece of quiche still on the table from dinner, I immediately ate it as I walked through the kitchen. My wife had come down, catching me in the act, she was astonished that I could stomach it under such circumstances. I generally don't eat before a run but I have developed a pre-run toilet visit.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Am I awake or am I having another episode of Transient global amnesia? 

A bit of both it would appear.

However SG, I'm on drugs, so I deny everything regardless of the evidence presented.
    Good piece of digging to find that lot to be fair.

Reading through that list, the thing that jumped out was the excessive pace of those long runs of mine. I crossed checked in the diary and it's clear the result was simply wearing.

Vomit and eating?

My wife once spent half the night talking into the porcelain telephone. After one visit, I heard her go from the bathroom into the kitchen where I heard noises concerning bowls and breakfast cereal.

A minute later she was tucking in to corn flakes as if nothing had happened.  :o

🙂

• Quality posts SG, quality :smiley:

Reg - presuming that wasn't the quiche that made her vomit then?!

Bailed the double today, with just a sociable lunch run instead. Felt hard and knee hurts, the little bugger.

Dachs - good job we know the (literal) backstory with Scott's posterior issues or that would be some insult :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's all good Ric, and just a reminder that this thread has been going a ridiculous 8.5 years now!

You do need to keep yourself at your current fitness though, as there must be some sort of thread race out there.
    Even better, some sort of thread relay, though we'd have to research that one as can't be too many for non clubs, although we could wheel that social team bit out again, Team MTSG!

• Could have been the quiche Bus, but probably not, I'd aleady had some anyway so it would have made no difference.

I didn't have to go back through posts Ric, couldn't forget that picture. The beauty of the internet is you don't have to save things, it's always there.

Little progression run today, only four miles and not fast but did end up around LT pace for the last quarter of a mile. May give XC a bash on Sunday, if I can extracate myself from meeting up with some casual friends. One of those meet-ups your wife organises and insists she told you about it 10 times. She obviously didn't make sure I was listening.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    My fitness is developing in a way that gives me hope SG.

Gradually getting back aspects of ability that have been missing for a long time. But I don't need to test the limits to realise the fact. 

It's subtle information such as yesterday as I negotiated a sharp up hill bend. Not so long ago I would have stalled in the process. This time I drifted around it with ease.

🙂

• 18.09 at Brueton Parkrun this morning. Equalling my PB but on a slower course. Course is 2 laps, you start uphill and then the rest of the first mile is back downhill - 5.43 which felt ok. Things went wrong from there, could feel I was slowing even though I was applying the same effort. 5.55 for the 2nd mile.
    Course had km markers which was helpful, passed 3k at just under 11mins so I knew I had 7 mins to run 2k. Didn't have it in me and the 3rd mile was 5.58.

In hindsight I probably went off a bit quick, first km came up in 3.20! Slightly disappointed with the time but I shouldn't sniff at equalling my PB on a slower course. Will give it another crack in December!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Good run there Stevie Wh and augurs well for the sub 18 at Stratford.

Just a parkrun for me this weekend (sorry to fail on my USP SG!) as have to take my daughter ro Sportshall tomorrow so will miss the xc. Went to Dach's super fast course in Woodley for the first time in a while. Quite slippy around the pitches now and they seem to have moved the start back a bit making it measure a tad long rather than the old 100m short (or maybe I just took the corners morw honestly today🤔). As such, pretty happy with 18'39 for 4th and top age grade. Pretty even paced with 1st lap (c1.02 miles) about 6'05 then 2 about 6'10 plus a few secs for the run in. That Steveni kid (still a junior) seems very good and won by a long way in 16'xx. One to watch out for on the local scene. 
  • Pete - unfortunately terms of the bet mean it has to be at Brueton. Need to figure out how to pace it as the first mile is downhill and 2nd uphill. Funnily enough a junior won ours by almost a minute this morning as well. Ran 16.15, I've seen him at the track a few times so I'm expecting big things!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    What's the 3rd mile like Stevie? If fairly flat I suggest you hammer the 1st mile in about 5'35 with the downhill, hang on in mile 2 and try to get to the end of that in about 11'40 then a 5'50 leaves you about 30 seconds for the bits. What do I know though; 359 parkruns, about half in 18'xx but no better than 18'08 (despite a 17'50 5k on my cv!).