My Last Run

Comments

• Hazelnut - it'll be fine. It might grumble, but it's not going to rupture, so I'm not worried about it beyond some unwelcome discomfort. As for time, it would be fantastic to better my Chester time (4:10:42) but as it'll be warmer and I'm a bit banged up, I won't be devastated if I don't. I've done two marathon doubles so far (Manchester/Liverpool twice) and the second has always been slower. However, I've had issues between them - hamstring the first time, shingles the second - and Liverpool's warmer and hillier than Manchester. Valencia's warmer than Chester but it's flat, so who knows?

Will, I don't mind cold and I don't mind rain, but I don't like them combined (and I really don't like it when there's wind as well!)
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Wooly hat on this morning, Cal! 4.6 miles at a gentle 10:00 mm. Left calf was very tight for first 2 miles. Think that's because it's been (a record?) 6 day streak and 36 mile week. Certainly feels like I'm training for a marathon. Plenty of rolling now and rest day tomorrow before a big longie on Saturday.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • 4 miles yesterday and a slow, muddy parkrun today. Feeling tired and rather wishing I didn't have a marathon next weekend.
  • Wind is definitely my biggest enemy Cal.  Hopefully your tiredness is just a taper tantrum. 

Hope you had a good long run Will.  Nice little streak.  The increasing appetite with increasing mileage sounds familiar.  I guess its a question of finding a balance between having enough fuel for your runs but not overeating.

3 runs to report, a 4 mile recovery on Wednesday, a 6 miler yesterday with several short hill efforts.  Haven't tried those before, its actually quite fun trying to sprint up a hill.  As soon as my form started to collapse I turned and jogged back down.  Finally today 8.5 miles with around 4 with a progression from MP to around 10 mile race pace at the end.  Wasn't planned - I got bored after around 2 miles into my run and decided to speed up.   Felt pretty good.
  • I'm not sure now - I've had a tickly cough most of the afternoon and I've been sneezing. Hope it doesn't turn into anything worse.
    Good training from you.

• Clowne half marathon today  in 1h34     1 min faster then 2017  and fisnhed 70  out of 739 runners
  • Went out for a long run on Thursday of 13 miles which was pretty straightforward followed by a couple of days away in London, on returning back this evening I thought I'd pop out for around 10k and after a couple of miles warming up I managed a very quick 5k before slowing down a bit for the last mile or so home. It takes me over 100 miles for the month with a few days to spare. Nothing more than straightforward training this week but hopefully with good mileage before easing off for next month's marathon.
  • Welcome comp and well done, that's a good time.
    Well done Matt.
    Well, it's official, I now have a full-blown cold. Awesome. Resting up.
  • Hello All.

My 16 miler went well on Saturday. It was my joint longest run ever, so was actually a little nervous beforehand. I decided to chop it into two segments, as a cunning psychological ploy. The first 6 miles I took an out and back road route as my 'warm-up. This led me to the start of the Marriott's Way trail/track on which I needed to do the remaining 10 miles. Starting from 6 I then just took each mile as it came and rewarded myself with gels and my amazing homemade power balls. Lots of cyclists belt up and down the track, all of whom were really friendly and
    polite. Well done cyclists. My legs were fine throughout and the miles were punctuated by a smart male Bullfinch, a hunting Sparrowhawk, a mobbed Buzzard and a flock of Fieldfare, gorging on hawthorn berries. All very pleasant and satisfying. I could have run on, but stopped at 16.25 miles in 2h50. 

I messed around on the beach with the nippers yesterday and then had a delayed Recovery run of 3.1 miles this morning in the cemetery. Slightly lower mileage on the schedule this week, with 3 rest days.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Oh no that is bad news Cal.  I hope you have enough time to recover from it.  I guess other than resting up, sleep and eating / drinking well there isn't much you can do to help it. 

Hi to compo - nice HM time that.

Good running Matt.

Great long run Will, well done.  Good route tactics. 

7 miles for me at lunch time.  I am finally getting stuck into a P&L plan to build my speed back up a bit.  P&L are the shorter than marathon equivalent to P&D.  The P being Mr Pfitzinger from P&D.  I've picked a 10 week multi race distance plan with mileage from 45 to 57 miles.  Might be a bit ambitious but I have done two rounds of P&D marathon training of up to 55 miles and done base training in the last few weeks to build back to 45 so I should at least be able to cope with the mileage.  The speedwork will be the interesting bit as there is more of a focus on that and less of the very long runs.  We will see.  If it is too much I will reduce down to the up to 45 mile plan or somewhere between.  Anyway - kicked off today with 7 miles including 6 x short hill sprints followed by 8 x strides.  Both of those are ok on their own, in combination they are hard work!   I did find the right level of effort to be able to finish the lot off without any decline whilst feeling suitably tired at the end.
  • Sounds like a plan, Hazelnut -  a tough one as usual! When is your next big event?

Hope you're feeling better, Cal. Load up the vits and garlic.

Rest day yesterday and then a varied 4 miles round the cemetery this morning. First 2 miles I did at HM pace. Then I felt my legs tiring, so did an easy pace mile, before finishing with an almost tempo mile. Felt like I worked a bit and overall pace of 9:15 in 37 mins was satisfying. I'll do a 5 miler tomorrow and then rest on Friday before a 17 miler on Saturday. Mara prep continues to go well. Legs slightly jaded on some days but not too bad all round. Need to lay off the mince pies!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • 11 miles yesterday evening - split into two parts again - just short of 5 on my own then the rest with my Tuesday group.  Not an ideal scenario due to the stopping and starting but I like to have one run in company a week and my long run was the only one which fitted for this week.  Rest day today - intending to do some much neglected core exercices later.
  • I am still feeling dreadful. I really I hope I turn a corner soon. Like, tomorrow.
  • I'm here to thank Hazel for her kind message left on Fetcheveryone.  Last Tuesday, I reached my goal of 1500 miles in 2018.  The Streak contributes much to this achievement and is approaching three years on NYE.  It's heartening to see that the cameraderie & advice are still in rich supply here and I wish you all good health, speedy racing and PBs by the bucketload!
  • Cal - I have seen elsewhere that you have dropped out of Valencia.  Sorry about that.  I hope it isn't too much of a financial loss on top of the disappointment of not being able to take part.  If you are still feeling very rough then I would say it is for the best especially considering the travel involved which would surely not have helped you to feel better.

Is there maybe an alternative you could think about when you are feeling better so that you can make use of your training / fitness?  Low-key, not too much travel and not too expensive?  Considering your niggles on top maybe a half rather than a full marathon?  If you have spring marathon training coming up soon a rest and base training period would however also be a good idea.

Swittle, nice to see you here again.  I wish you happy streaking and of course good health in return..!

Good running Will.  Enjoy the mince pies - hmmmm!!   Have a good long run on Saturday. 

For me - just short of 7 miles this lunchtime on minor roads and decent tracks around the local fields and woods.  A few seconds too fast per mile on the clock following yesterday's rest day.  Unusually I saw two other runners.
  • Hazelnut, I'm feeling very despondant - as it's happened so late it looks as though I've lost all the money (not just the race but flights and hotel too). I still feel awful and the doc can't see me until late afternoon. I think shingles has come back (I have an itchy spot on my back that feels very much like the last outbreak) which would explain why I feel so dreadful even though my cold seems to have dried up.
    I am going a bit stir crazy as I can't run and don't have much energy to do anything, not even yoga.
    I am supposed to be doing a track 5K in two weeks, if I am feeling better by then. I already have a half booked in February but I'll have to see how I recover before booking anything closer. There are options though.
  • Oh no, Cal - that's horrid bad luck. Hope it's not shingles again. Chin up.

A fatigued 5 miles for me last night at 9:27 mi/mi. Legs just feeling a bit heavy and my form was all over the place. Also been running mostly in the morning lately, so the evening session felt a bit late and ponderous. Still, I haven't missed a run from my programme yet (touch wood) so all the miles are banked.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Me again! Now relaxing after a big recovery pork chop or two to celebrate my longest run to date. I took advantage of Mrs Will taking the kids to the theatre to fit it in at lunchtime. Windy with light rain with loads of leaves blowing about and plenty of bird action - Sparrowhawk , Buzzard and Redwings today. I managed to keep it fairly evenly paced and felt pretty good up to mile 15, when the 'pain' hit. Those last 2 miles were really tough, with legs ready to fold beneath me. I dug deep though and got through to the end, with a quicker last mile to boot. 17 miles in a shade under 3 hours at 10:33 min/mi - so bang on the plan again. I loved the feeling of battling the urge to stop and getting through that tough spot. I suppose that's what marathon prep is all about. A very good run :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • I hope you are feeling a bit better in the meantime Cal. 

Solid long run Will well done. 

I finished off last week with runs on Friday to Sunday.  Just short of 9 miles on Friday with the second half at just over MP.  Then a short recovery run of 5k on Saturday.  Yesterday a 10k race in 46:44. Not a PB course by any means and I was more than 4 minutes over that.  It was wet from above (didn't bother me as it wasn't particularly cold and also no wind) and wet and filthy from below with plenty of mud and puddles to splash through and one very slippery corner which I had to shuffle around carefully as I didn't fancy a fall.  3 x 2 mile loops + once around the track, each of the loops had a nasty little hill to climb and descend.  Had a nice little tussle all the way around with a pair of bright blue compression socks, their male owner was faster down the hill though and he beat me by a few seconds.  Scraped into the top third of my age group and top quarter of the ladies overall.  Probably just wasn't lapped by the first man, who ran 32:36.  A former 2:06 marathon runner and current holder of the V40 marathon world record.  Apparently he was visiting to promote a project collecting used running shoes for runners in Africa. 
  • Sorry to hear about Valencia Cal, I really hope you're out running well again soon.

Good running Will, I tend to find the last long run before a taper is often a rough one which gets followed up by a much better race.

I took a few days off running last week as I was dealing with a bit of a cold, I'm still not fully over it quite yet but I felt close enough to fitness to go out for my final long run before the Portsmouth Coastal marathon in three weeks. It went reasonably to plan with a fairly consistent pace throughout despite quite a headwind off the sea in the final miles. The only real downside was the route which was a well trodden path for me along the sea front and then up the east side of Portsmouth to Farlington marshes, it can be nice in the sun but on a grey murky day like yesterday I just found it very repetitive and boring but I didn't want to risk a new route at this stage of training. 

Despite the twenty miles yesterday I did manage short one mile run tonight as I made my to Asda just to see how the legs felt, I'll probably do five miles or something similar tomorrow as a proper recovery run.
  • Thanks, I managed to get out for a little (4 mile) run today. I'm not fully recovered but I feel a lot better than I did a few days ago. Took it nice and slow - everything is tight after sitting on my backside for over a week. But the achilles is good - it clearly appreciated the downtime.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. Haven't run for a while because I got a bug that turned into a threat infection which turned into a chest infection. Topped off of a miserable November. Done some gym work the last few days and ran this afternoon. Cold and bright. 8.1miles at a steady 8min/mile. Went okay. Switched routes because a pathway by the river was cordoned off by the police. There where ambulances, fire appliances and police boat present. It was an area of river heading out of the city so couldn't see what was happening - maybe for the best.
  • Excellent work on the 20 miler, Matt. My first of that distance coming up in 2 weeks!

Glad you're feeling a bit better, Cal, and managed to get your runners on again :)

Great to hear from you, JT. Sorry November has been an arse. Hoping you have a good December. 

A couple of runs this end. A delayed recovery run around the cemetery on Monday. Strange how uplifting that place can be. It's very peaceful, with some beautiful old trees and it kind of puts things in perspective , while also having some ideal paths for a gentle run. 

Last night I hauled myself up a hill 6 times. It's about 150 metres and probably on a 7/10 steep rating, so a good workout. I topped the run off to 4 miles and then collapsed in front of the telly with some root veg crisps. Really felt the burn last night and had difficulty with the stairs to bed.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Well done on your 20 miler Matt.  Have a good taper.

Good to see you are back out Cal.  Nice and slow is a good idea if you are not yet 100 % well.

Sorry to hear you havent been well JT and I hope your December is a better one than your November. 

Nice hill work Will.  Hope the legs recover quickly!

Bit over 8 and a half miles for me yesterday evening, 2 and a bit on my own on a flat stretch, then met up with two others from my Tuesday group.  We set off a bit slower than I would have liked but the guy is just building up to a regular mileage again and is generally taking it easy at the moment.  He took a short cut on the hilly section so the other lady and myself increased the effort a bit for the remainder.  It is the disadvantage of running with others that you often can't generally do the pace you would like to.  But I do like to have a social run once a week and therefore put aside the internal grumblings and enjoy it for the other aspects. 
  • JT, sounds like we got the same lurgy!
    Hazel...one of the reasons I don't do club runs is noone runs at my pace. Even the social run, the "novice" pace group is advertised as 9min/mi+. For me, a 9 min/mi is only a bit slower than my HM pace. For a social run (given it's on a Monday, so would effectively be a recovery run) I wouldn't want to be going any faster than 10:30s, and likely slower if my legs were fried from Sunday. Anyway...
    Another 4 done today, although it was actually 4.5 because I did six lots of strides. Legs were feeling a bit better.
  • Looking on Strava at the club runs in Norwich, I think I would be a bit too slow as well, Cal. Apart from doing Parkrun with my Dad, my running is my solitude and quiet time. I find it very meditative and calming. Being a person not of a naturally social disposition I enjoy being on my own, just me and the road. I'm sure running clubs are ace, just not for me! Glad you're back out there, Cal.

Yesterday's run was a bit of a struggle. Legs are feeling heavy at the moment and it's taking some effort to keep plugging away. I guess this is what mara training is all about. 5 weeks in and some quite heavy mileage compared to my previous training plans, I'm feeling it. I did 5 miles yesterday at 9:29 min/mi and afterwards I realised I couldn't actually remember anything from the run, other than it was hard work! Even a lap of the lake seemed to go unnoticed. Just over a week away from my 20 miler and I'm thinking about wiping a few miles off the plan. I think a bit more of a taper might be wise, to avoid blowing up next week. Rest day today, then no longie at the weekend - one, maybe two shorter runs instead.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • For me the social runs are a good way of getting out and amongst people as I work from home and spend a lot of time on my own.  I'm not naturally sociable either and generally crap at small talk, but running chat I can do.  We do cover other topics as well though.

A mileage cutback seems a good plan Will.  Have you planned in regular recovery weeks?

Good your legs are improving Cal.

Just a short recovery of 3 miles for me yesterday evening - unusally at 9pm.  Struggled all day motivation wise to get out of the door.  Lots of Christmas lights up already.  Cheers up the dark evenings a bit. 
  • Just finished putting up 4 sets of lights in the front garden, Hazelnut - big switch on tonight!

I have put in a recovery week about every 4 weeks, so will make sure I stick to that. Although I've managed the 16/17 mile runs ok, the 20 will be my first time going that distance so I want to have fresh legs for it. Tricky trying to balance freshness with stamina.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Hope the lights are all up and running then Will.

The jump to 20 will probably feel a lot the first time you do it Will.  The first couple of rounds of marathon training I did I noticed each additional mile added on as of around 15.

Yesterday I caught up on the tempo intervalls I was supposed to have been doing on Wednesday.  14 mins / 11 mins and 8 mins with 4 minutes recoveries in the range 10k race pace + 10-15 seconds/km  Pleased with the results.  Distances for the fast bits were 1.96 miles, 1.53 miles and  1.1 miles with a pace of betwen 7:09 and 7:13 m/m.

Have a good Friday and weekend.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Lights are looking good, Hazelnut.  Off to get the tree and mistletoe tomorrow :) Your interval work looks good.

I'm a bit nervous about the step up to 20, but will give it my best shot. It's called the Festive Forest Challenge, with 10K and HM distances, as well as the 20 miles, lots of fancy dress, mince pies and beautiful trails, so should be exhausting fun.

Kicked off my Mini-taper with 3 gentle miles in the pouring rain this morning. Going to go by feel this week and do lots of stretch, roll and core work. Happy weekend all!

I run, therefore I am.