The Middle Ground

Comments

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    First run out this week and did a session with the group.  Long sleeve shirt with gloves and still mostly cold.  Session was 5/4/3/2/1 min starting at threshold and getting quicker each block.  Then a 1200m threshold run back to the office.  I started at 4.24m/km was down to 4m/km for the 3 minute and enjoyed running the last one quicklty at 3.25m/km. 

I did hear what you guys said about running slower but I forgot when I was out there.  The quick guys (sub 2.45 mara) pushed on a lot at 2 min and 1 min and so the whole group got faster.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    haha .... run your easy miles slow ... but run your sessions hard. :-)
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Bike commuting yesterday (2 x 5 miles), run commuting today (2 x 5 miles at 9/mi). Feeling a bit achy today for the first time in a while - niggles with the left knee and right foot, probably following Tuesday's intervals.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Dr.Dan said:
    Bike commuting yesterday (2 x 5 miles), run commuting today (2 x 5 miles at 9/mi). Feeling a bit achy today for the first time in a while - niggles with the left knee and right foot, probably following Tuesday's intervals.
    How I wish I had a 5 mile commute instead of 14 mile.  I would definitely run that a lot more often.
  • I also don't have a problem with your session, JGav...as long as there is no impact on training later in the week (or injury and illness!): as Dan says, run the easy miles slow and, particularly when in company, run the sessions hard (ish!).

About to brave the cold. Many layers will be involved; short run then long fitness suite.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Just got in from an 8 mile long run. Took 72.36, so just over 9mm pace - possibly marginally slow, but I’m not too fussed. 21 miles this week.
  • That's fine, AD: time on feet is an important factor. Speed will come in time. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    jgav, yes as others say, work hard in sessions, just make sure it's easy enough elsewhere. 

Andrew, on easy runs I always think a bit too slow is a better outcome than a bit too fast. 

I've had a decent weeks training hitting 50 for first time since Yorkshire. Hilly 8 on Wednesday at east then nearly 11 Friday lunchtime with 7 at tempo coming out at 6.30mm. 5 recovery yesterday before I headed off to Cardiff for a day out at the rugby then a mildly hungover very easy 13 today. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Weekend away without the kids, gave running a miss and just enjoyed eating too much.  Sometimes it's nice to be deliberately lazy.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    The niggling knee pain on Thursday's run commute turned into a more sustained patella tendinitis pain following Saturday's parkrun. I did manage to take another 18s off (so 21:37, 21:14 and 20:56 over last 3 weeks) so a bit frustrating just as the fitness is starting to kick in again. I skipped my long run on Sunday and probably will skip Wednesday's monthly 5K race series event as well. Weather looks bad anyway and it's an exposed course - unless I get under 20:25 it's a waste of time.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Lunch run 7 miles at 8.30mm slow enough?

Careful, don't get injured Dr.Dan!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Beautiful, jgav.

Hope the knee improves quickly Dr Dan.

I rounded the week off last week with a nice easy 13, picking up the pace a bit in the 2nd half. I was a little squiffy from a day of beers Saturday but I soon cleared the cobwebs.

Recovery 5 yesterday then today was 8 x 3 minutes at something between 10k and 5k pace off 90 seconds. The weather was atrocious, hammering down, windy and cold. Certainly not ideal to running at 6mm pace. Anyway, it got done and is in the bag.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Another slow one of 4 miles at 8.39mm.

Winter is for slow running DT19 - no need to force the pace in this horrid weather.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've done so much slow running in last 30 months. The extent of my regular sessions has been 5 miles at mp or a race. 

Hoping I've done the base training in abundance and this will top things up well. 8 mile easy mlr tonight on my hilly route. Felt a bit tired and lacklustre tonight for first time in a while. that is 6 straight running days though so due a day off tomorrow. 
  • 4 miles for me tonight at 9.02mm pace. Have got quite a heavy cold, so kept the pace deliberately on the slower end. Felt better as the run progressed though.
  • Hope everyone's week is going well?

Hope you feel refreshed after the day off DT?

I am still full of cold, so have binned off anything approaching faster paces so far this week and did another easy run last night. 5 miles this time, at 9.03mm. Am planning to do 4 miles tonight (perhaps with some fartlek thrown in, depending on how my breathing feels) and then a long run of 8 miles on Sunday.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Sounds sensible Andrew!

I haven't run this week since parkrun.  I will have bagged 50 cold and miserable miles on the bike by the time I get home this evening. Knee feels OK now (but untested). Might give parkrun a bash tomorrow, deciding on pace during the warm up.

• Well, I felt much better last night so I did chuck in some fartlek. Roughly 100m strides then 400m recoveries for 2.5 miles. Worked out to be 8 sets of strides. Saw the pace on some to be around 5.50mm, which is faster than mile pace. Not much, but felt nice to run a bit faster for once!
  • All sounds good, AD!
    Rubbish week here: fairly cautious mid-week as the calf/Achilles area was groaning; now have a chest infection so on anti-biotics and steroids for the next week. Have managed to get out for a gentle 15 minutes each day though. And I mean gentle!
  • Sounds like a bad few days Alehouse- hope things improve soon!

Another 8 mile long run today. Almost identical time to last weeks.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Got another winter flu-like virus - pesky kids bringing their illnesses back from school/nursery.  Took out 4 days.  At least it's the offseason so nothing to stress over.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Alehouse, hope you are feeling a bit better now?

Nice work, Andrew.

How is knee, Dr Dan?

J-gav, I will regret saying this but it is now 13 months since I last had a cold or other similar issue.

Steady rest of the week last week. Had a day off Friday so did my long run which was 15 miles with the middle 5 at mara pace. Some spin and bodypump Saturday then a very hungover and slow 4 miles yesterday.

Racing sunday, the annual 10 mile pudding run. It was the first casualty of the snow last winter so remains my longest standing pb. I'll need to run 6.19 pace minimum to pb. It'll be the first time ive dipped under 6.20 pace for a race longer than 10k if I do it. Conditions on current forecast are decent.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

DT - good luck for Sunday. As you say, the forecast seems ok for the weekend so everything seems set for you as you've had a great run of training recently!

JGav - that is a good, pragmatic, response to the situation! Sometimes we can all get a bit hung up about hitting mileage etc (hence why I continued to run this week with a heavy cold) but your approach seems more sensible.

The next couple of weeks for me are pretty chocker with pre-Christmas stuff, so I'm going to have to be a bit creative to still get my mileage in. However, taking my own advice from the previous paragraph, as it is my base training period I won't worry too much if a few miles get lost along the way!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes it all gets rather tricky the next few weeks!!

Solid session today of 2k at 10kp (90s) 1k at 5kp (3 mins) Repeat (3 mins) Repeat. Pretty much 9k at overall faster than 10k pace whilst running. Feel quite tired now!

Easy rest of week for sunday. Today has given me some confidence that I am fit enough to go out at pb pace sunday.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Still feeling wrecked and so no exercise for me.  It's like I can't get enough sleep in.
  • Get well soon JGav.

DT - sounds like an interesting session (just trying to equate it to my paces, and I think it would seem pretty hard!). Might try it in the spring training block, but perhaps only one repeat rather than 2.

Going to mix my training up a bit this week by doing a 3k time trial on a route that I have used a couple of times in the past. Did 12.23 this time last year, hoping to go sub12 this time around (or close to it). Hoping to do this tonight, so long as the heavy rain passes over in time!

• 3k in 11:52. Felt hard towards the end!
  • You should be well and truly revising your 5k/parkrun times given decent weather, course and company, AD! Keep up the consistency!
  • Yes, this would suggest maybe 20.15 might be possible on the right day? Only caveat is that this 3k is dead on as per the watch, whereas a parkrun always comes up long on the watch so I’d need to allow a bit extra for that!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    nice work, Andrew. You need a parkrun that comes up a little under or bang on!

8 hilly miles at easy today. Legs a touch tired  after yesterday's session. Few days taper now.

It's the 3rd repeat that really stresses the body though.