P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• Catch up time again - just a few things I've picked out for now:

HA: the winters I've spent here haven't been too bad for snow / ice.  Both might be around for a few days / couple of weeks but not longer fortunately. 

SteveMac: your plan sounds like a good one.  Well done on building up your mileage so far - you have been very patient - I hope it gets rewarded.

Macca I'm not surprised you have reached the 3000 already.

Belated good luck on the new job Joe.  Well done on club triathlete of the year and good luck for Valencia!

Good luck on the Western States lottery AWC and macca.

Jools be careful with the wild boar.  Great mileage again.

I hope you are out of the traffic jam by now SQ.

Autsch to the TM running chicksta.     

Otherwise good running going on with the mona fartleking and park running and mileage wise.  Will have a proper read back in a bit.

I've started into the +45 miles multi distance P&L as of today although I am already jiggling the plan a bit as I might run a 10k on Sunday and will replace the 3 x 10min LT with that (or do it on Sunday).  So a 7 miler at lunchtime with 6 x hill efforts (you would all giggle at my attempts to "sprint" uphill) and then 8 x strides. First time I've done that combined and was pretty tired afterwards.  Doing some short hard efforts did however liven up an otherwise standard sort of run on a standard route. 

Have a good week everyone
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Joe - That long run was mostly off road, so a head torch was needed. At a couple of points I was sloshing trough mud in the pitch black, in the middle of nowhere. Nice 20 miler. I think you could be right about not recovering fully post Kona. I can't think you've lost much fitness though and I think at some point rather suddenly you'll feel you're back and running well again. Still no news on the work in London, I think it might not happen now.

Jools - Great mileage and long run. Same again this week?

SQ - Hope you survived the traffic jam. I like to think I'm a pretty calm guy but really change into a monster when I get stuck in traffic. I can feel the steam rising just thinking about it.

FBT - Another long run done and in the bank. Sometimes things just don't click.

Hazel - Short hill sprints and strides are great for a change up during an easy run and seriously underrated. Nice work on the P&L.

My 7 year old son did a santa dash on Sunday with his mate so I went along and spectated and ran with him for a bit. Quite proud that he ran the whole way and best of all enjoyed it. Got out for a fartlek on muddy Basingstoke common yesterday morning, 4 laps (about 3km each) running hard up the hills and steady on the flats and downs. A good session. Just a short easy one planned today.
  • Jools - I used to spend a lot of time round that area, and its probably one of the most beautiful parts of the country / world even!!!!

I still don't feel great since my long run so not sure if the long run made me ill or I was falling ill when I did the long run - few days off for me.

Interested to hear what you think of Valencia Joe, done quite a few European marathons, and Barcelona was great and looked at Valencia a few times.

• Jools - Super mileage!
    Joe - Nice long run.
    Hazel - Good progress on the P&L plan.
    Spoons - Sounds like you are getting there.

Some crazy yearly mileage too. I hit over 1000 miles in May/June, but only on 1200 odd now!!

Eased off last week, so only 8m at the weekend after 90 minutes on the bike. 6 miles today to build back up, want to be hitting close to 50 miles a week by end of January....need to get the spreadsheet out to put a plan on paper!
  • Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Good luck this weekend if you end up running Hazel. Sounds much better than trying to do the 3x10 mins on your own. 

Sounds like a great outing from the little one HA. It's all fun and games until we fast-forward 10 (?) years and he's beating you in races. 

Few days off sounds like a good call FBT. Valencia is an awesome race - we did it last year and just couldn't resist going back. But this time we're taking 40+ Clapham Chasers with us :D really looking forward to it with great memories from a PB there last year.

Being sensible after Sundays 20 and with Valencia in mind; just an hours swim yesterday and another one this morning. Going to get out for an easy 30 mins at lunch I think. 
  • Sounds like Valencia wll be a good crack, Joe. Good luck.

HA - Nice fartlek and Santa dashing, my daughter insisted we ran all the way home from school last night, maybe if I take her back to junior parkrun we won't be sitting on any benches on the way round.

Hazel, I also plan to do the PL but I am looking at the 31+ mileage.

Like Steve I am looking to build my mileage up now after a disjointed year of injuries and illness plus a good dose of CBA. I am looking at Wokingham HM and a 12 week plan (assuming I have the maths right).

I am too far behind for a proper catch-up here but I did notice some big mileage from Jools on Strava!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Certainly beats what I've seen of Portsmouth/Southampton FBT  :D Get well soon.
    You seem to be able to produce decent times on low mileage Reg which I certainly can't. Good job given your propensity for injury. Hopefully 2019 will be a more consistent year for you.
    Race the 10K Hazel: you know it makes sense. Good luck with the plan - I'm sure you'll see plenty of improvement.
    You should be fine for 50Mpw after another 2 months surely Steve.
    Sensible Joe! Whatever next? Hope it's not contagious ;)
    Aiming for 70 this week HA. Back to multiple racing with a short but intense fell race up & down Blorenge on Saturday & the 3rd Gwent League XC on Sunday at Bryn Bach park, Tredegar & parkrun of course :p

• Looks like Valencia will have to be on my list on overseas marathons then! sounds a good un!

Currently have sore throat and swollen glands arghhh

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Bad luck FBT - at least you know why the LR didn't feel good.
    10 more today with 3M easy at lunch then 7M hard on the TM after work. 3x2K@6min/mile off 800m at 8s then an extra 400m hard during the cool down. Weighed myself before & after - 1.5kg lighter!
  • Well it's been a while since I last posted........

Good to hear you've started the new job now Joe, sounds ideal for you  :)

Is it just Jooligan racing Telford next weekend? Also is anyone doing Nos Galen on New Years Eve?

You must be getting used to those hills near you AWC

Seems like it was the weekend for parkruns last weekend  :D

HA - do you run for a club/are you doing the Hampshire League XC at Basingstoke on Sat?

Hopefully those building the mileage back up (Reg/Steve) continue to do so

So not the greatest month running wise for me. Began with Leeds Abbey Dash, aim was around 33:30ish and ended up with 34:50, still a PB but only because the old one was so outdated. Hampshire League XC the week after went better

However the 2 weeks post that have seen lots of 'zero days' due to lack of motivation and various niggles (mainly calve/achilles). Been getting back to it this week in prep for XC this Sat and Telford 10km the week after. Decent session last night of 4 sets of 1km, 600m, 400m.

Averaged 3.07's for the 1kms, 1.50's for the 600ms and 68s for the 400ms

Will try and post more regularly again!!

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Good luck on the weekend Joe. I was thinking about my son running just the other day, how there's likely to be a window when we can comfortably run together before my decline and his improvement make it tough for me to keep up.

Reg - Good to see you're getting back into it. Hopefully things will pick up. I feel like I should do Wokingham, seems everyone else is. Now, should I prioritise a weekend away with my long suffering wife on her birthday or racing with some friends from the internet? Will you be at Handy Cross XC on Sunday.

FBT - Hope things clear up soon.

Jools - Another solid week by the looks of it. 

Scott - I'm sure you'll be back soon enough. Must have be a bit of a come down after a hard and successful track season. I'm not racing xc in Basingstoke on the weekend, the league my club focuses on has a race on Sunday and anyway on Saturday I'm cooking a bbq for the Christmas Bizarre at my kids' school, so no chance for me. Good luck 

Got out for a track session yesterday. Unfortunately I slept in so had to shorten it a bit. Just got in 6x100m, 2x300m, 4x200m. I generally rush the recoveries of any intervals I do so I've been trying to make sure I get plenty for these shorter reps. I've got a bit of DOMS today, which is a first for a while. I'm not sure if that means I'm doing something right or doing something wrong.
  • Nice hill work Hazel.

Well done to your son HA. I had similar thoughts around competitiveness with my nephew, although he seems to have gone off running lately, so maybe I’ll keep my advantage :D 

Get well soon FBT.

Good luck for Valencia Joe.

Good to hear from Reg and Scott. I’ll be running Telford too.

My cold has developed in to a sore throat now. Nothing major, and it’s the kind of thing I’d probably train through if I was in the middle of a big plan, but given the circumstances I’m playing it safe so haven’t run for the past two days. The really high winds certainly helped make my mind up to take a few rest days!

• Blimey Jools must've been a sweaty treadmill session. 

Great to see you back posting Scott. I'm sure a couple of weeks off won't have done you any harm - probably needed the break after a great summer of racing. Good luck for XC this weekend.

HA - hope Handy Cross goes well. What's the standard like, will you be in the mix? Sleeping in - criminal. 

Spoons - playing it safe definitely the sensible option, and you're right, the wind/rain combo isn't ideal at the moment!

Easy 10km yesterday morning. Another hour in the pool this morning. Going to head out for a few really easy miles at lunch - looking forward to getting blown all over the place. Not flying out until early Saturday morning. 
  • In better news, looks like I've got a place in the ballot for Berlin next year! :) Anyone else doing it?
  • Good to see you back Scott.

HA - I have a pass for Handy X and I am not injured but I am unfit and still recovering from illness so I don't know yet.

Joe - The standard has improved in our XC league, it's still more of a friendly league but some good runners seemed to have woken up to its attractions. Top 30 are all around 36 min 10k or better

Well done on the ballot Spoons.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I know Christmas is odd HA but hardly bizarre ;) Obviously your wife wants a weekend in Wokingham for her birthday :D
    Good to hear from you again Scott - I was wondering how things were. You still aiming to run a PB at Telford?
    Have a good holiday & run in Valencia Joe. Is Katie running it too?
    Sorry to hear you're under the weather Spoons. Should leave you fresh for Telford at least, provided it clears off soon. Good news re Berlin.
    Creaky 7M for me this morning being blown all over the place & drenched too then another 5M runch in slightly less hostile conditions. The newly resurfaced canal towpath has reopened at last so no more random runs. Fresh tarmac meant less puddle dodging too :smiley:

• Travel well to Valencia Joe and good luck again. 

Nice running by your son HA. Can you placate your wife with a really nice trip the week after Wokingham?  Good luck for your XC at the weekend.

Have a good racing weekend Jools.

Get well soon FBT and spoons. 

Nice to see you Scott - good luck for your XC.  Hope you get your motivation back fully soon. 

Great news on Berlin spoons - I enjoyed it this year.

Looks like the 10k will be wet and windy on Sunday - even more reason to do it rather than LT intervalls on my own.  Need to think about shoes as it is a hilly course with plenty of corners and potential for lots of greasy leaves.  The short stretch of cobbles is fortunately uphill.  
  • Good luck for the 10K Hazel.

I was very pleased to wake up this morning with my throat feeling back to normal, so headed out on the canal for my usual 10 mile route, which was beautiful this morning with plenty of rabbits, swans, and even a heron to keep me company.

I also came across a drunk cyclist in a ditch, god knows how long he'd been there as I think he was asleep when I first disturbed him. I eventually managed to drag him out of the ditch (I have the upper-body strength of a child, and he was wearing a backpack that weighed as much as I do, so it was quite a palaver) and he thankfully seemed unscathed, although pretty out of it and heading in entirely the wrong direction for where he reckoned he was heading. Thank god he ended up in the ditch though, as if he'd gone the other side of the path he'd have been in a rather cold canal in quite a remote location.

The run itself was a bit odd too, best pace I've managed in a while and breathing was spot on for my usual easy effort, however heart rate was way higher. Hopefully it was just the optical HRM playing up as it felt like the easiest effort easy run I've done in a while.

• Spoons - Berlin is my fav marathon - thought about entering the ballot this year, but gave it a miss. Best marathon weekend on the planet! and a great city.

Scary about the drunk cyclist! He sounds a lucky sausage (not falling into the canal) !

Feeling a bit better now - so been for a couple of 10k runs and getting back into it. better to be a bit ill now rather than marathon week!

Jools - you don't know the meaning of the work creaky!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Blimey, that's monster mileage despite the injury, spoons. I'm an absolute lightweight too when it comes to drinking so I totally get what you're saying. Jools would drink both of us under the table. Kudos for helping that cyclist. Hope he got home alright. I find my optical HRM is totally pants (I have a Garmin Fenix 5S). It may be down to my arms being really skinny so the watch doesn't have proper skin contact. And if I pull it too tight it gives wonky readings too. It seems to display my resting HR fine though.

Freshly resurfaced towpath sounds great, Jools. Hopefully you're less creaky now.

FBT: Glad you feel better. At least you know why your running was shite. I'm always quite relieved when I get ill. At least it means my shitness has a reason :)  When is your marathon?

The multi distance schedule sounds challenging Hazel but it also seems to keep the sessions really interesting. Good luck at the 10k. You don't exactly pick easy ones, do you?

Reg: good luck with the Wokingham build-up. Hope all injuries have settled.  

I GOT INTO BERLIN TOO. Yay! Second successful ballot entry. Seems to be much easier to get into Berlin than London. Really, really pleased.

Like FBT said: Best marathon weekend on the planet. Bring it on :)

If I don't manage to log on at the weekend: Best of luck Joe. Have a blast. I'm assuming Katie is still recovering from Chicago or will she be running too?

Nothing much to report here. The LT runs on P&L are getting longer. This week had me do 22 and 18 mins off a 4 min jog recovery. I managed to cover  almost 5k and spot on 4k which I was quite pleased with. Running at the higher end of the LT HR doesn't feel as bad as it did on the first couple so the training seems to be working. Fingers crossed.

• Will have to look out for Spoons and Jooligan at Telford. Yes, a PB should be on the cards, just need to start off more sensible than last time and we'll see what comes of it

Ouch I wouldn't fancy cobbes in the rain Hazel, have a good one on Sunday!

Sensible decision to play it safe Spoons and it played dividends

Good luck Joe for tomorrow

27.5min tempo + 4 x 200m on THursday at a wet and windy track. 5:50 tempo pace and around 30 for the 200's. Rest yesterday and XC today 

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Scott: good to see you back on it again. Hopefully the injuries stay away

Well done on the Berlin ballot Spoons and Chicksta

Good luck tomorrow Joe

I was (thankfully) unsuccessful in the Western States lottery today so my chances double for next year but only slightly. Most of the brits who got in were 4-6 year entrants. Feel sorry for the couple of souls who got in on their first attempt  :D
  • Hope Joe had a blast in Valencia and Hazel survived her hardcore 10k.

How many years would you need to train for Western States , AWC?
  • Multiple race weekend: short story. Lacklustre performances all round probably due to fatigue.
    Saturday: Aberbeeg parkrun. An out & back along a straight tarmac cycle track should've been quick but my legs were still stiff as I jogged the 2nd half of the course as a warm-up so I knew it was going to be a tough day. The route climbs 130ft to the turnaround cone then drops back to the start. I got a good start but was soon struggling to maintain even a reasonable pace & HR was low even though I felt maxed out. I hit 5:25 pace for the final 0.1M desperately attempting to go sub20 only to hear the bleep of the official stopwatch as I reached the far end of the finish funnel so although I got 19:59 the official stats record me at 20:00
    The afternoon was Blorenge Fell Race AS. 2.4M with over 1,400ft of climb in the first mile! I was slow up & worse on the descent recording my worst time in 6 years (by around 3 minutes). I felt exhausted & had jelly legs but even so.
    Today's XC was a similar tale. The course was hilly, windy & exceedingly muddy so impossible to maintain any kind of rhythm but an average pace of 8:34 is ridiculous. I finished 246th well behind loads of folk I would normally beat even failing to score in the first team for the first time in 26 Gwent League races :(
    Guess my body is demanding a recovery week.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    On the plus side my 6:45 alarm call on Saturday was worth it as I secured an entry to Snowdonia Marathon for 2019 in a relatively stress free process.
    XC pace is still poor but not quite as bad as it sounds now I've seen that others who ran sub 6 min/mile pace last month were over 7 this time!
  • Good you found that cyclist in the ditch spoons. 

Good news on getting back into Berlin chicksta.  Sounds like P & L is going well for you.  Ditto on the optical HRM issues.

Glad you are feeling better FBT.  

Bad luck on the lottery AWC but you don't sound too disappointed. 

Sorry you had a tough race weekend Jools.  The climbing in that fell race sounds ridiculously hard.  Was it possible to run any of that or was it a quick hike?  Good that you got your Snowdonia place.

My 10k went well enough.  25 seconds slower than last year with a time of 46:44.  Wet and muddy with one dodgy corner (x 3) which reduced me to almost a standstill.   Enjoyed it nonetheless, in particular ploughing straight through the goo rather than mincing around it like some.  It was only a bit of dirt after all and not of the particularly heavy type as it was well mixed up with water and leaves.  Just made the top third of my age group and the top quarter of the ladies but I maintained my place well throughout the race.  Happy enough with the result and a good finish to a 45 mile week.
  • was not sure if to do 18 or 20 miles this weekend for my long run - so settled on a 19 and felt much better that last weeks 18!

well done on 10k hazel! - Jools is doing more races that I do training runs! How did Joe get on?

• FBT Yes I love Berlin, I’ve been many times in my pre-running days, but only ever ran the half back in 2013 there, when I was injured and shouldn’t have ran. 

Nice work on the LT run chicksta. I do find those split LT runs a bit less daunting than the massive non-top ones from the marathon plans, although they’re still tough!

Nice workout in the conditions Scott. Look forward to seeing you wizz past me on the out and back on your way to a PB on Sunday!

Bad (good?) luck with the WS lottery AWC.

Not surprised your body is asking for a recovery week Jooligan! Take it easy and hopefully you'll be fresher for Telford.

Great work in the 10K Hazel, sounds like a tough one.

I had a decent weekend, parkrun for the third time in a row (a record for me I think) and again right around 19 minutes (19:02). Nothing if not consistent! However, it was quite breezy and the final grassy stretch was very slippy so I think it was probably a better performance than the last two weeks even if the time didn’t quite reflect that. I then did 18 miles on Sunday, legs were feeling a bit tired from parkrun but still managed 7:15/mi average.

Because the past two weeks have been lower mileage than I had planned for various reasons, and with not even the faintest chance of a PB, I’ve decided I’m not going to taper for Telford. I want to use December to build the mileage back up ready for marathon training, so I’m aiming to go roughly 80, 90, 100 miles before a recovery week over Christmas, assuming the PF doesn’t flare up again. Telford will just be a case of going out and seeing what happens.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chicksta: I've no idea what's involved in training for something like that other than lots of miles and lots of hills. Would like to think I could get myself ready in 7-8 months if I'm successful in the lottery next year
    Jools: at least you didn't get a 20:00 parkrun when you'd never gone sub 20 like I did last year! That's some brutal fell racing and XC racing. Your body definitely needs some recovery
    Hazel: not disappointed at all as I didn't want to get in this year - just building my chances for future years as your ticket count gets x2 each year. Good 10k and well done for ploughing through the mud
    FBT: glad the 19 miler went better than last week
    Spoons: definitely good luck! When I was checking the lottery results my chest was pounding like at exam results time! Nice 18 miler after another hard parkrun effort. Fingers crossed the PF doesn't reoccur
    Did a 16 miler last night and 6 mile recovery today - legs felt sore today but I guess that's because they didn't get much recovery from last night
  • AWC - well done on not getting into WSER, same here. I watched a bit live and could feel myself getting sucked in to the whole event.  I was out late last night too and todays run felt a bit heavy legged, I guess it’s almost like 2 runs in a day.

FBT - glad the long run felt better, probably some underlying lurgy you managed to knock on the head.

RSR - sounds like good progress with the PRs and LR.  You’ll be wearing a milstone t shirt before you know it.

Hazel sounds like a good run at the end of a 45 mile week, well done.

Chicksta congrats on getting into Berlin (and Spoons).  Sounds like progress on the P&L LT runs, keep it up.

Good to see you back Scott & Reg.

18 weeks to 7th April today. I’ve still not decided on either the 55-70 or 75-85 plan although I didn’t fancy a rest day today so plucked Weds session from the 85 plan.  In all honesty I think I’ve averaged at least 75-85 per week over summer so I might just carry that on.

Once Joe reports back (hope it went well btw) then it’s got to be time for a spring thread ?