Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gerard, nice work on the weight loss. How tall are you? What's the extent of the smoking habit? Regular, social or just raging drunk?

Sounds fun, OO. Good luck.

Non running day for me then due to weekend plans I will be doing my long run tomorrow as I am off work. Looks like I will dodge the crap weather for it which is good.

I've already refreshed my yahoo about 5 times today hoping for a Berlin e-mail. Could be an impatient couple of days.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Oooh yes me too DT
  • DT - I'm a regular social raging drunk! Lol, seriously though I don't smoke during the day when at work. Probably about 5-7 a day habit but double that on a big night out. I'm only 5'9, so should be lighter really but have a fairly muscular non typical runner type build. 

OO - sub 18 on Jsy parkrun would be EPIC! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO- Looking on FB page e-mails have landed!

Gerard, I am similar in that i'm 5'8 and 70kg at best race weight. I think 50 of those kg are in my legs as they are anything but typical distance runner.

Those numbers being cut are a sure fire short cut to faster times. A regular daily habit like that will being playing its part. Are you not at least able to just cut out the sober smoking? If you can go all day at work then it suggests you can, though you then need to be careful not to up your drinking to justify smoking.

• Received my Berlin email while sat on the plane waiting to depart. I'm in! Hopefully a few more of us are as well
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice one! enjoy your holiday.

I am having the same sense of failure I did last year as more and more are reporting success and I don't hear!
  • Yes Stevie - great way to start your holiday.

Nothing here yet, also assuming failure also if success ones have been received.
  • DT - I'm gonna kick it in the new year. I'm usually about 73 @ race weight so 70 and no smoking should make a difference. 

O0 - Less chocolate and booze seems to be working as I'm not running much at the mo. 

Stevie - Congrats. 

Got out today for a 4 and a bit miler on my hilly route near home. Felt good today and was cruising at 6mm on the way back into a strong headwind. Last mile clocked 5:40 albeit with about 400m downhill. Managed approx 1 minute route pb and didn't feel spent. Nice not to be rained on too. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Congrats on Berlin, Stevie. You'll have a great time and hopefully do a great time.
    Good luck to the others still waiting to hear.

I've cut out the chocolate as well, GM, seems to be working as I'm down to 13st (82.5kg) this week. Still not so disciplined with the beer but have also cut down on the crisps. and have completely cut out in-between meal snacks. Evening carbs are also rare.

At 6' 1" I carry the weight in slender form but I'm a heavier runner than most in our part of the field and determined to be under 80kg for VLM19. In fact, I need to be at that weight for the Surrey Half in March as I want to get nicely under 1.25.

So, that said, I have a huge reunion in Borough Market all day Saturday with beer flowing like burst dam with a huge foundation layer English brekkie beforehand! 

I shall send myself out on a punishment beating run on Sunday, somehow... :D
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    GDawg I’m a similar height and used to weigh 12& 1/2 at my peak. I think one reason I’ve not slowed much with age is the weight loss (now under 12).
    Gerard my parents were both heavy smokers and both died very young from smoking. It’s probably one of the reasons I’m into running and health. They were also big drinkers, but I didn’t manage to dodge that one ;) 
  • Berlin Rejection email received; shame. There's tour packages available but I think £500 for 2 nights accomodation is a bit ridiculously pricey on top of the race entry fee.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    so we are on 50% success rate so far. Still nothing received. 

I would only pay that if I needed it to complete the set and had run of out patience. I'll just try again for 2020 if I fail. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I got a rejection for Berlin too. I’m not too disappointed as it was a late call anyway and I’m sure I can find a nice alternative ‘holiday’ marathon.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

No Berlin rejection here - but then I didn't get around to applying.  Good luck to those that haven't heard yet.

Good to hear you're giving up the smoking GM - it'll do you the world of good.

On the weight front, I seem to have added a few kg over the last few months - so now 10kg over Brighton Marathon weight (73Kg).  So a bit of discipline required over the next few months!

A steady 11 miles on the treadmill for me tonight.  Bit of a swetfest at the end so need to venture outside soon ... 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Blimey SBD that’s a big increase have you got a target marathon?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    . . .    and a long way on the 'mill . . . .  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    no for me also, 2nd year running. not too bothered as I was only going to defer it to 2020 and would have had to pay most of the cost again anyway.

Decent treadmill running, SBD. That's nearly 2 stone in weight gain then? 
  • DT - unlucky. Maybe next year.
    Stevie - great news - celebrate on holiday!
    GM - great pace for your hilly run.
    GD - sounds like a great day lined up for tomorrow.
    nicko / OO - unlucky too.
    SBD - you'll need to do a few more of those 11 milers then!
    13 miles for me this morning (7 @ 8:24 and 6 @ 7:53). Brings up 235.2 for November. Need 307 in December to reach my target. Weight seems fairly stable at the moment (just under 71 kg) and is pretty skinny for my height (just over 6'2'').
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good pacing Gul, that’s a lot of running for December- will it be a new lifetime record?
    I only need 170 which seems fairly easy with over 4 weeks to go. Anything close to 2500 will be a new record for me.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    OO - yes, 170 seems very doable. My previous highest total was 2650 in 2016, but have now passed that.  Having nearly 4 weeks off in March/April has certainly not helped me, but 350 miles in May has clawed some back. I will probably have 2 or 3 zero days in December, so 11 a day is what I need. I think it will be close!
  • Just realised I also missed the Chicago ballot application deadline - 2PM yesterday!

It's a lot of money for that tour package, am I stupid to be considering it to start getting through the majors list?

Impressive yearly mileage by you guys, and some heady targets for the next month; with my summer off I'm nowhere near any sort of respectable numbers.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Go for it Nicko! I've just got New York and Tokyo to go. NYC will be next November but may have to take a big wallet hit with a tour company for Tokyo as they don't do GFA like the others.

My quest started in 2016 when I and 2 others were lucky enough to get in on the first year of the team application for Berlin. My PB that day got me into Boston (Apr 2017). Also bagged GFA again at Abingdon (Oct 2017) which sorted me for Chicago (Oct 1018) and that PB has sorted me for NYC.

Each trip has been amazing! Really looking forward to being able to go up to the Abbot World Majors people you see at the finish line and say "yep, that's my 6th star, thank you!"

WFH today so nipped out for a 5 mile fartlek at lunchtime. 6.45 pace average and felt strong in places even though it was a bit of hard work at times.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    these team applications seem to yield a far higher success rate!

day off today so 15 miles with middle 5 at mp. lovely conditions for a run, sunny and cool but not cold. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Congrats on Berlin Stevie and commiserations to those that didn’t get in.

Good luck Gul on your yearly mile target. I need 270 in December to reach my goal of 3670, which would mean my daily average over 2 years would be 10 miles.

I’m 6 feet tall and weighed 148 lbs (67kg) this morning. I’ve managed to maintain race weight since Berlin but this will change over xmas! :)

I might do a 10k race tomorrow but think I'll be slow. I struggled to break 6:30 m/m in mile reps on Tuesday and I'm feeling fatigued.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

A steady Sub 38 should be fine Badbark!

200 miles for me in November after 21 in October and zero in September.  Still on 2,300 miles for the year to date so may get up to 2,500 for the year which may well be my biggest ever.

I make it 1.5 stone DT but it sounds less in kilogrammes!

I ran my PB at 80Kg but c. 73kg would be a better weight for the Newton Hills.

I'm planning to run Boston in April 2019 OO, but I need a few more weeks of training under the belt before I commit to flights and accommodation.

Another treadmill session tonight - 8 miles progressive finishing at 6:55 m/m pace.  I'm struggling to get out during the day and running in the dark is a bit tricky given the lack of streetlamps - hence the treadmill!  At least the Sunday long run will be outside.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I used to live in a small town SBD and night running was almost impossible apart from loops of the town. It’s a big challenge but having a big race will help you focus on training and weight.
  • Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    On Saturday I ran a disappointing 20:30 in my Park Run but a similar time to the 20:28 I ran 2 weeks ago. Good opening 3:30 km, a sub 6 minute opening mile but jog/walking to get through the 5km to catch my breath. I have only ran around 200 miles for the year so far including 20 Park Runs has destroyed my fitness.  18:15 in January was my fastest Pair Run for the year but I ran a slow Park Run of 23 minutes in July, I am getting back into my fitness now. 

Last week I missed out on getting a pair Nike Pegasus 35 Turbos and Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit when they were discounted by 30% on Nike store, because I forgot to check my email. Those 2 shoes would be great additions to my running shoe collection. In 2018, I have purchased 2 pairs of Nike pegasus 35s, a pair of Nike Odyssey React, a pair of Nike Zoom Vomero 12, a pair of Asics GT1000-5, and a pair of Hoka Clifton 4 and they all look cool! Shoes that pass as decent casual shoes and running shoes are optimal and the colour is best in black.

The problem with treadmills are the lack of wind resistance, smooth surface is too predictable, no change in environment or terrain, no pedestrians or cyclists to evade, the boredom kicks in within 2 miles into a run. It has been 9 months since I last stepped into a gym. I now do more stair jog/walk up and down a 240 step ladder that overlooks a picturesque park in the CBD and plenty of easy cycles for easy cardio. In the new year I will need to jog 10+ mile runs to get serious about marathon training for my marathon in September in 2019 and bring up my 10th marathon finish.

I hope to improve my fitness gradually over the next 9 months instead of peaking too early and crash and burn during my previous marathon attempts. 15 or 16 miles into a marathon and 10+ miles to go and nothing left is a sinking feel I have endured in all of my previous marathons.  2 or 3 gels to survive a marathon and only sips of water and sports drink is very taxing on my mind and body. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I ran a 19:30 parkrun, saving something for todays 5 mile beach race.
  • 21:26 for me yesterday, not great at all; I just couldn't keep pace uphill for the first half. It's not a fun course.

Took 4 days off running hoping my foot would be better, unfortunately after the run the problem was back; so more enforced rest so I can go into the marathon campaign without niggles. More biking and gym to try to keep the fitness up.

Hope the 5 miler went well today OO

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I was 4th today, conditions were very tough as the tide was in. We also scooped 3rd team, so fairly happy.