Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2018

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Got back up the hill OK – it was still damp and cold up there – but it was coming down again where problems started really setting in.  Couldn’t get any sort of normal running action going as I went downhill. I felt like the Tin Man, every joint jarring and jolting and feeling the impact, especially my knees which I have been having problems with for more than two years now.  And the pain from my left ankle/shin combo was giving some serious grief.  And I suppose you are not going to run as well at mile 54 as you did at mile 2, downhill or not?  But the slow progress was disappointing.

By the time I turned left onto the main road in Waunfawr I was 25 minutes behind schedule.  Assuming I could keep to my schedule from here onwards, this would mean I arrive at the start of the race at 1025.  Not ideal at all.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

It was then the long slog along what I was starting to call the ‘dull section’ of the marathon.  Nine miles of straight but undulating tarmac.

People often ask me how come I don’t get bored when running long distances, and why I don’t listen to music to combat it. Well, no, I never get bored, and even now I wasn’t.  Once outside there’s all sorts of visual or aural stimuli to maintain the interest, pace to calculate, or just your own thoughts for entertainment.  I associate music with being indoors. I do sometimes talk out loud, or occasionally sing if I don’t think anyone’s listening.  Sometimes certain tunes seem to be stuck in your head.  As I approached Betws Garmon, about mile 20, for some reason I had the song ‘Santa Claus is coming to town’ in my head.  Perhaps it was in anticipation of the goody bag over at my own grotto in seven miles time?  A nice tune to belt out loudly. I was getting quite into it, “You better watch out … Santa Claus is COM-IN’ TO TOWN!!”  Round a bend and straight into the early morning bin men and recycle box men.  What they thought I don’t know.  If it is Santa he’s very ahead of schedule?  If it isn’t Santa, who on earth is he??

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Later on I was overtaken by a posse of runners, mostly women, who turned out to be doing just the double SNOD.  They had started early that morning, were very cheery, and anticipating having a decent breakfast before the race.  Sounded more attractive than what I was doing.

I never saw either Andy or Duane again.  They must have been out there somewhere on the other side of the course, presumably going in the same direction as me.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

A sense of doom penetrated slowly.  I wasn’t running fast enough.  By the time I got to Beddgelert and grabbed more water and a couple of packets of crisps it was 0731 and 37 minutes behind schedule.  At this rate I wasn’t going to make the start.  There was no way I was going to gain seven minutes and do an immediate turnaround in Llanberis.

I bowed to the inevitable.  I was going to need assistance to get to the start.  I knew from past years that a kind runner going to the race would pull over and give me lift.  In fact as I laboured up the road through Nantgwynant, several cars did hesitate and slow down as if to offer a lift, but then thought better of it and sped up again.  Not surprising – I must have looked a mess.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I was calculating furiously in my head so as to abort as late as possible.  I added up the time at my current pace for the miles ahead, allowed two-minute miles for a car, and the minimum time I could get away with at the start.  No point getting there too early! At mile 8 I reckoned I was good for going onto the offroad section where of course there was no hope of a lift.  Down the lane and up the track again, where I overtook two hikers – but only just.

Onto the road again soon after mile 6.  Looked at my watch.  OK, I think.  Keep going.  Round the bend and past the Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel (for the third time).  A new statistic to factor into the calculation: the Llanberis Pass was closing to all traffic at 1000.  How far up would I get before the last car would be admitted up?  Missing a lift now would be tragic. 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Mile 5.  0942.  Still OK, keep going.  Yes, why not aim to get to Pen-y-pass?  That would be a good place.

• Options
    Ye-e-s? And?? Spill the beans!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Arrived at 0949 and it was easy in the end.  Out went the thumb and immediately a car stopped.  Well done to the top bloke who gave me a lift down to the start (at very high speed I have to say).  I wish I could have helped him with where to park for the race.  I couldn’t offer any suggestion at all at that late stage.

So there we are.  A compromised attempt at the Quad SNOD.  There was no way I could have run at 7-minute miling to cover that 4.6 miles and recover in the remaining 9 minutes.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I had very mixed emotions as well as the weariness and general pain from running 74 miles as I refuelled with Mrs T Rex’s excellent soup and her other refreshments, standing by the wall near the start arch.

Thanks to all those of you cheering and offering support at that point.

I could have done with stopping just then, but coming up next was the most important lap of all, the one where you get a finish time and a coaster, and the whole point of being there!

[To be concluded.]
  • Options

Loving this write up, T Rex unbelievable endurance.

I was completely wasted at the end of 1 lap & probably still not fully recovered.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

1030 and the race started.  I waited for half the field to pass by and then merged in and was doing well – but only for the first mile (which is downhill).  More and more runners were passing by.  No-one else was doing the ultra shuffle at only mile 2 of the marathon.  Soon I was with a happy band of stragglers right at the back.  I hung on to them.

This was meant to be my fourth marathon at 6h15, but there was no way I could keep that pace up.  Time haemorrhaged away. The sun was out.  The mountains were fantastic.  But I could hardly turn my neck to look at them.  Assorted passers-by cheered me on and the water stations were fantastic.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Miles 8 to 13 took an eternity but eventually I arrived at Santa’s sack for the last time.  Two more packets of crisps were very welcome and some other food.  And on to the ‘dull section’.  You could hardly call it dull this afternoon with the fantasy-shaped Nantlle Ridge to the left clearer than I’ve ever seen it.  It’s just the road went on and on.  Somewhere about mile 17 a pick-up came from behind with a bloke leaning out of window, calling out.  It was the sweeper vehicle. I was dreading this moment.  I’d already missed the 4-hour deadline for mile 18 by 30 minutes and I hadn’t even got there yet.  Would I be allowed to continue?

• Options
    Fantastic stuff, T Rex. Made it just in time. I can't believe I never saw you at the start as I was near the starting arch as well, but I was on the right side.

We're all ears now for the race report. :p
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

A barrage of questions was thrust in my direction.  “We are withdrawing support from the race. Are you able to finish?  Do you want to finish?  Do you know where to go?  Do you know what’s ahead?”  Answers all yes, thanks.  “Do you want to get in the car?”  Err, no.  This chap was persistent but eventually saw me as a lost cause and plied his temptations on another straggler.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Needless to say I ‘walked the hill’ out of Waunfawr!  I was very cold, close to shivering, even though the sun was fully out.  Gloves, hat, jacket with hood up and closely tied around my face, buff over my mouth, all this scarcely sufficient to keep me warm.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

How welcome the good cheer and cup of tea were at the mile 24 water station!  Clearly the race director’s instruction to remove support hadn’t reached this remote outpost. Another rough little scramble uphill and then downhill all the way!  I was tottering.  My legs didn’t want to work.  Every step on the offroad section was difficult and painful.  Pitiful progress but eventually tarmac and the village road.  Into the High Street to a great reception from the remaining few spectators including Mrs T Rex and Archie (our collie) who ran with me to the finish.  Definitely not 6:15, this one.  I was struggling to function and see clearly but the clock looked like it started with a ‘7’.  Can’t be?  Those sorts of time don’t exist, do they?  7:30:47.  A PW by nearly 2 hours!!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The chap on the PA got the story out of me and we had some banter on the finish line, speaking into the mic, before I then went to the deserted community hall.  No refreshments there at this late hour, just brief shelter while Mrs T Rex got the car and off to have a quick shower at our digs.  Then it was time to return to Llanberis to meet up at The Heights.  It was great to see such a good number of you there.  I can only apologise for the lack of wit and sparkling conversation on my part.  I was half comatose by that point.

By 1000 next day I was slightly more awake for our other meet up over an excellent breakfast at Pantri. The camaraderie we have is such a special feature of this event.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

For the statisticians:

Lap 1  26.2 miles  6:10:28

Recovery 00:13:22

Lap 2  26.2 miles  6:51:29

Recovery 00:27:21

Lap 3   21.6 miles   5:49:02

Recovery 00:41:19

Lap 4   26.2 miles  7:30:47

Total distance 100.2 miles

Total time 27:43:47 (only 6 minutes outside 100-mile PB!)

Total running time 26:21:46

Total recovery 1:22:01

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Would I do it again?  Well, yes.  I know I said to certain ones that I would only do one lap in 2019, and I still might, but I have hatched a new plan so attractive that I’m convinced many of you will want to join me.

• Options
    Great stuff TR. Glad to have been able to help a little and relieved that no one stole your bin liner from under the tree - we ate the remaining crisps on the way home! Got to ask what the plan for 2019 is? Don't keep us in suspense!
  • Options
    Great write up T Rex, and an awesome effort. I thought you seemed in great shape at the Heights, I can’t imagine doing 100 miles and still having the energy (or being able to move)  to go to the pub..... but I can’t really imagine doing 100 miles! I’m curious to know what next year’s plan is!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Plenty of time to let you know all about that!  We need to start a 2019 thread in any case.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I'll also be doing the Abingdon marathon which is likely to be only 6 days before SNOD.  It will be the occasion of my brother's 100th marathon so don't want to miss that!
  • Options
    Pete Thomas 6Pete Thomas 6 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

A picture is worthy of 100.2 miles. Thank you for your inspiration.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Thanks Pete! As you can see more asleep than awake and struggling to hold up my coaster.
  • Options
    For those of you who may not have seen this post on facebook from the Snod page:

With entries due to open in the morning here are a few tips that should help things run more smoothly for you.
    Our entries are being run by a company called Etchrock. You don’t need to open an account in order to get a place, you can enter your details directly. If you do want to open an account, you can do so after you’ve entered - it’s a great social media platform for those of you that want to keep in touch with other runners.
    Make sure you have all your details and information ready before hand. If you are an affiliated runner, you will need to enter your UKA number in order to get your £2 discount.
    You can enter more than one runner on to the system but, if you are doing an entry for somebody else, you will need all of their information too.
    The team from Etchrock will be on live chat throughout if you need any help.
    Now, get your alarms set and see you at 7:00 am :)
    Pob Lwc i chi gyd!!

• Options
    Decided with entries opening in 3 minutes it was time to start s new forum  https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/347932/snowdonia-marathon-2019/p1?new=1

• Options

The Snowdonia Marathon 2019 forum is now live..... so head over to the new page to join the discussion...