Sub 3

Comments

• So sorry to hear about your mum TickTock and I am sure she would have been very proud of you, that you ran and finished the marathon in her honour -  well done to you and Dan/ Jen.  Yes, it was a tremendous performance given the circumstances.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TR - it was my fourth best time.  All of the quicker three came in Barcelona.  Also, was my 13th consecutive year of going sub 3 hrs, so a smidge of pressure in that regard as it was the first time, and last opportunity, of 2018.
  • Very sorry to read that TickTock.  Very difficult circumstances to run under, but one to be proud of.  As your mum would have been, I'm sure.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TickTock - so sorry to hear that, and that's a very good run in the circumstances, I'm sure she would have been proud of you.

Dan - sounds like a pretty well executed run, I like the watchless approach when you've got enough experience not to need one. The important question though - did Chrissie cruise back past you in the 2nd half?!

Only time for 3M yesterday, left hamstring still very tight but felt a bit better by the end and feels better this morning. I think it's just sore rather than injured.

• Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Spent the entire day yesterday with a raging hangover. Dan and TickTock partly to blame. The flight home was one of my less enjoyable ones.

Signed up for Valencia a few months back after PB'ing there (2:39) last year off the back of triathlon training. It was clear in the weeks before this years race that training, qualifying and racing Kona had taken a lot out of me mentally and physically, and since then my fitness had slipped somewhat. Therefore, agreed to pace a mate for a sub 3 attempt (backstory - 44, 3:11 PB but good potential with sub-18 5km).

We set off and within 2 miles he told me he had to pee. I continued on at the right pace and was impressed with how long it took him to catch me again - a good 4 miles. I told him not to surge back and he did just that, taking his time to get back on pace. We ticked through to halfway, but I was concerned, as he already told me at 10 miles that his legs were feeling flat.

Through half in 1:28:45, so we've got a bit of time in hand. I know how quickly that can slip away now. It's nice to run with less pressure on yourself, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'd enjoy holding this pace if i didn't have the pacing responsibility. 

Into the last 10km and it's judgement time. I can tell he's on the absolute limit but I keep proding him with motivation and encouragement. Get to 35km and I know we've got it barring disaster striking. Special moment crossing the line together - me elated, him in a state of shock. I don't think he believed he could ever go sub-3 - he's always lacked confidence, which I think was his limiting factor. 2:58:10 the final time, for a small positive split.

Didn't have to wait long to see Katie cross in 3:09, another small PB. More impressive this one, considering only one run of over 15 miles and not one 'session' in the 2 months since Chicago + a large amount of excess and indulgence. Shows how Chicago was just one of those days. Don't think she'll be far off sub 3 in London next April. 

Saw Luke at the end also - good to meet you mate. TickTock - had no idea about your mum. So sorry to hear; you did her proud though.

Drinking with the other 50 or so Clapham Chasers for the rest of the day was only ever going to end one day. Not sure if I'd have found the hotel if I didn't have Katie to usher me home.. 
  • Sorry for your loss Tick Tock and what a wonderful tribute. 

Great run Dan - would love to do a marathon without a watch and let the body take over!

Ticking over here - 8.3m Friday, 8.5m Saturday, 5m yesterday. Circuits tonight, then first club session in about a month tomorrow. 
  • Great pacing Joe and well done Katie.

Sounds positive Padams. Any races coming up?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Bet it was really rewarding to pace a mate to sub-3 Joe. I feel like it's probably a mental block that has stopped me in the past, so would be great to latch on to someone and take some of the thinking out of it.
  • Well done TT, glad you had some happy times as well as the sad. Hope the shoulder recovers soon -- I had a weird problem with mine once which turned out to be at tight pec minor muscle impinging on the brachial bundle. I think.

Perfectly paced JB!

Padams -- enviable to knock out casual podium places like that.

CD -- congrats to junior on the "first place" (I'd call it a win! :-) )

Jogged 5M to work OK today, slight niggle is still there but not serious. I want it to go soon so I can start training for the Brass Monkey though.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Padams - no, I kept CW (the Ironman one!) behind me with 90 secs to spare in the end. 

Parallel to my 2nd sub 3 back in '06 in New York when I passed Lance Armstrong early and he finished 90 secs later.  Didn't have any doping control then though. 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Dan - that's a decent scalp then. Not a bad run by her though!

JoeB - I've paced people a few times and really enjoyed it, and it's very rewarding. The only downside is when they don't make it - I once paced GoldRush (legend from this forum years ago), aiming for sub-2:45, I did 2:44:5x, he did 2:45:0x....

LMH - another XC league race next weekend, then more XC in January but nothing else entered at the moment. I might enter my club's 10M race in January and maybe a HM or two in Feb/March, but haven't really set any major targets for next year yet.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Dan - you need to make all of your mararhons Spanish ones then. What is your UK best time?

Joe - sounds like a rewarding run for you and your mate.

Only 5m today, as was very short of "me" time today, but I've had a decent previous 3 days and im already on 49m for December (209 left to find).
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TR - London (surprisingly) last year. 2.51 - I can be seen on the video running past the guy who was helping the other guy down the Mall   >:)

Padams - saw Gold Rush when I was pacing sub 1h30 at Paddock Wood in April.  He's still running well.
  • Solid mileage TR. I've only done 32 so far this month but today's 7M took me below 200.
    Sorry to hear of your loss TickTock - excellent performance in the circumstances.
    Well done Joe - glad it's reignited your mojo. Great performance from Katie too. Wish I could PB on so little training.
    Good to hear you had a decent race Dan. I've lined up on the start next to Chrissie a couple of times but only seen her again at the prize giving when she's collecting the winner's trophy :D First time was at a 15M hilly trail race 18 months after she retired from IronMan. Tom Lowe was there too on a pre-season jolly. He was first & she was 5th. I managed 18th 24 minutes behind Tom & 14 behind Chrissie.
    Great annual mileage Wardi & a decent result with the prizes too.

• Good pacing Joe, well done and to Katie on her PB. Will see how Malaga shapes up but very tempted to return to Valencia next year.
    Dan Congrats on the 13 year streak of sub 3 marathons.  I remember your first in Cardiff in 2006? Snap 2017 VLM was my fastest UK one too.
    5 slow one's today. Notice for Sunday the elite half mara starts 5 minutes before the elite mara start, and this 5 minutes before the popular start. First time I've seen that, was hoping for the half marathon runners to give a bit of company to run with in the 1st half. 
  • TkTk, that's an unbelievable run under such physical and emotional strain. You should be proud.

JB - brilliant pacing, and even more impressive drinking afterwards by the sound of it!

TR, that's a lot of miles so early in the month. Looks like you'll reach your target.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Dan - 2017 was the cool (and therefore) fastest vlm year for a while?

Goldrush is still doing a bit, he was due to run Abo but picked up a late injury.

Jools - we have a similar amount of miles to bsg now then.

8m today. My current thinking is that i had a poor june and july in that whilst i was trying to run regularly, it was short stuff due to my hammy (which the phys sorted towards the end of july), with no long runs and only a few double digits. A ramped up Aug and Sept got me to 3.01 at Abo (but i was a cramping mess). Dec and Jan are the equivalent 2 months to june and july, so if i can put more normal marathon style weeks into them then when i add on the ramped up two months, i should be in a much better position going into Brighton than Abo. A typical P and D 18 wk build up for Brighton would start next Monday anyway. What could possibly go wrong ?
  • Thanks for all the kind words and messages.

Joe it was great to meet you and Katie - I didn't tell you abut my mum at dinner on Saturday as it didn't feel right to bring the pre-race mood down. Weirdly you were the first person I spoke to after crossing the finishing line so you were close to having me sobbing on your shoulder. I just managed to hold it together until I got to Dan and Jen.

Good luck in Malaga OO, I hope you have great run.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Very impressed with your run under the circumstances Tick Tock, I used to ring my old folks with my marathon result when I had finished so your story brought back fond memories.
    Top pacing job Joe and great to see Katie sneaked a PB too.  The post race celebrations sounded suitably spectacular!
    Dan A.. nice run and congrats on the sub 2:50.  Any maras planned for spring yet?
    9m with the club last night with 12 x short hill sprints.  That left my legs feeling a bit wobbly afterwards so soon after Sunday's race.  5.2m in the pouring rain this morning, very refreshing.

• First club session in about six weeks last night - 10.2 miles with 8 x 2.5 min pushes. Hamstrings felt super tight, but didn't ping so guess that's a positive. Need to try and sort a massage before the Brighton training starts I think. 
  • Well run under the circumstances TickTock 

looks good to me TR 

Great celebrating JB 

Nice time that DanA

Enjoy the massage EE 

I haven't had a proper deep tissue massage for a lot of years, until yesterday. 
    My word it smarted. She cracked on with the good calf and I thought crikey thats tight and painful, the 'bad' one was a little bit tighter, but not where the tear was, which is good, and she mullered that one too. 
    I was told to expect soreness this morning, go for a decent walk / cycle and run tomorrow  B)
    I very much have soreness today 

I'm definitely going to build in regular DT massage into training block when I get back to it, I'm thinking if I let the mrs know how much it hurts, then she may even pay for it  :#

• My missus is the opposite WTGY - she thinks paying £40 for a sports massage is excessive, despite me being at pains (geddit) to stress it's far more remedial/medical than it is enjoyable. She's offered to do it herself, mainly so she can be the one inflicting the pain, I'm sure!
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Foam roller is my mistress. Only stump up cash when things go wrong. I would of course get a massage more regular if I was sub elite, but I'm miles off that so feel it would be wasted on me. 

Zeros Monday and Tuesday as felt terrible. Tired from work and no zip to get out of the door for the first time in months. Was out last night for an easy 6 and a bit (miles not pints). Hopefully get out for 10 later. Nice and easy. Legs feel dead. 

Swerving the Christmas do tonight as I'm a miserable git who would prefer to go run 10 miles in the rain and dark :)
  • My hamstring is still tweaky too EE and the top of the back of the calf on the same leg decided to join in yesterday so I've booked in with my physio though I can't get an appointment for a couple of weeks. When I'm in hard training I see her every four weeks to stay on top of things. It hurts (physically and financially) but my husband would rather I do it than be unable to run.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    WTGY - We are starting a whip-round for your physio sessions.  If it ain't hurting etc etc.
    SJ - That's the Xmas spirit, I wouldn't expect any less of you.
    Had my first physio massage session, the other week, a bit gentle I thought, and my left knee still hurts!
    Seems a good time weather-wise to depart for sunny shores.  Malaga marathon number 112 so looks like off at 8.30 with the 'elite' marathon start, I feel so proud. Off caffiene now until Monster Drink time 8 am on Sunday morning, no side effects yet.
  • running eyerunning eye ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    After advise from here a few years ago I managed to fairly comfortably sub 3, but over the last few years have not built on that, in fact a few mid distance ultras and no raod marathons since.
    Until last weekend and a lovely run at Valencia (3:04).
    I would like to build my speed now and work on getting sub 2:45 at Valencia next year.
    I do very little speed work and mostly steady trail runs, mainly for fun without much structure.

If I am to go sub 2:45 I will need some quality sessions, what do you all suggest I do.
    Ideally I would like 2 speed sessions and one LR per week, the other 3 or 4 runs would be recovery or GA on the trails and fells.
    Basically what have you all found the be the most useful marathon sessions, I have a year to work on this (want to get it just before I turn 50)

Many thanks in advance 
  • LMH - that's the tactic I should use; I'm like a bear with a sore head if I can't run so I'll ask her which she prefers ;)

SJ - it's my Christmas do tonight as well and I'm similarly unenthused. Will probably go for a bit and revel in the smugness of not feeling as dreadful as everyone else tomorrow! I've got a foam roller, have just never found it that useful really. Guy at my running club bought a Theragun; now that looks painful...

Good luck at Malaga OO! Have never liked the look of Monster but I have recently been experimenting with caffeine tablets (don't usually drink coffeee) to good effect.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    WTG - well toughed out, hopefully you'll be back in action soon.

OO - well done on the elite start. All the George !

Running Eye - marathon is a game of strength not speed, doing 2 speed sessions is a waste of focus IMO, some MP (or more like ME) would be a good idea though. If you can run fast enough at shorter distances to convert to 2.45 then get the miles in and also get strong.
    SJ - 10 beers or miles tonight?

My works meal is next week, there'll be free beer so I'm defo going.

Only 6m today, have a day off tomorrow so was going to get a decent length run in, but not sure i can face another wet and windy long run so soon after last weekend, might have to defer it and do a short run, depends how cold it is as wet and mild is less grim.
  • LMH - maybe I was being overly dismissive of physio. I have been when I get a niggle and am certainly not ignorant to the merits of regular sessions. Hope your niggles bugger off. 

EE - that looks more like a DIY appliance. 

OO - I'm not really a miserable sod but logistics made if didifficult as I work on the other side of the Pennines. They would put me up for the night but pfffttttt just a faff. Good stuff starting down the front. 

TR - 10 miles done and dusted. Free bar tonight too but I've all but kicked that kind of session drinking into touch by mainly removing the temptations. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - well done on the 10 (miles), I'll only have four or five even though its free, im not up for a big session either.