P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello all.
    I had signed up for Manchester marathon next year but have been hit by what I think is plantar fasciitis, so going to rest it and see how I get on, recovery could take a long time so may have to bin marathon, we shall see. Hope you're all ok.

• Macca - Portmouth is an Autumn / winter marathon so does not count on this Forum Blah......

The Westmeister is back! Hope that Plantar fasciitis clears up Westy, hear it can be a bit shitty.

• HA, if you wanted to cheer her up, you should have told her about your turdling, not your hurdling.
  • Sounds like the patience has been rewarded Millsy and you’re getting back in to good shape.

Sorry FBT those numbers were cumulative, so 89 sub-32 included the sub-31 and sub-30 people.

Lack of motivation after achieving such a massive goal is natural Joe. I’ve had very similar thoughts repeatedly since Manchester, as well as the questioning on your blog HA references, about wondering if you’ll ever get back to PB shape. Don’t force it and I’m sure before long the desire will return. 

Bad luck getting lost Macca

Superb outfit SQ. As I said on our run, the winner should have been DQed for not being festive enough!

Interested to hear what you think of the Vaporflys HA

Don’t envy you for that session Hazel, good luck! Hope the foot is nothing major.

Sorry to hear PF has got you too Westy. For me, I found the traditional advice of rolling the bottom of the foot didn’t help much. Instead lots of calf and hamstring stretches seem to be keeping it under control for me. The physio I worked with for that magazine thing also recommended strengthening exercises - basically lots of calf raises. I can send you the program if you want.

3 x 10 mins @ LT for me this morning. Averaged around 6:30/mi so nothing too impressive, but then my LT sessions never are! Given Telford was only a few days ago and I’m upping the mileage it’s not too bad I suppose. Looking back to this time last year, I wasn’t that much faster on similar sessions, so perhaps I’m not as far away from where I want to be as it sometimes feels…

•  :D HA your night water jump story did amuse me. Nice little session as a sharpener there. Whereabouts in the Cotswolds are you going? I saw the Vaporflys as well. The reviews, on this forum included, are incredible, but I feel I can't justify spending that much. I am, however, slowly coming round to it. After all, dropping £200 on any given bike part wouldn't require much persuasion. 

Oof - 7 x 3 mins hills sounds a goodie, but a toughie, Hazel. Enjoy and hope the foot is ok.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, Hope you are all well.

I've had a shocking Summer/Autumn with both injury and illness plus a few family problems which have taken over and have put running somewhat on the backburner.

Getting back into it now (very slowly!) and I've signed up for London but am now incredibly unfit so not sure if I will be making it to the start. Wokingham and Bath HM's also on the agenda if I can get into some sort of shape by then!

Out the door at 4:45 this morning for a ploddy 8.

• Oops - I only read the previous page’s comments before responding. 

Hi Westy. Hope it clears up soon, I’d certainly lt second spoons’ advice. 

Clasic Tom, our at 4:45am! Good to hear from ou and hope things can go up from here. 

As you say, spoons, a good session when comparing to last year, especially in the context of much bigger mileage. 

Bloody windy outside, hope it chills out a bit before tomorrow’s long run. 
  • Welcome back Tom. Saw your name in a couple of race results. I'd have been over the moon to run times like that but they looked a similar pace to your morning runs IIRC. Hope the injury & family problems are behind you now.
    Bad luck on the PF Westy. I had it bad for 6 months but then I didn't stop racing so it got worse. I found the frozen bottle rolling for 30 minutes+ after each race really helped - especially when I was doing a parkrun/XC or parkrun/FR double. I eventually saw a podiatrist who had some custom orthotics made for me but it was pretty much gone by the time they arrived :D Still got them in my day to day trainers but didn't really get on with them whilst running.
    I've not even considered a session since Telford yet Spoons so 3x10min@6:30s sounds very respectable. My 5 yesterday were 7:33s but otherwise it's all around 8:2x pace.
    Another 3.1M + 7.2M double today.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Spoons - very much appreciate you sending me that program - I'll pm you my email addr.
    Hello SQ/Tom/Jools. Tom, I've had a bad year too with family issues, I'll bore you all about it one day.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great to have you back Tom and Westy. Hope your families are both ok and hope you can get the injuries under control and build up for April.

Standard early start Tom. I've been getting up pretty early on Fridays to fit in a long run and I occasionally think to myself - yes it's early, but not as early as Tom.

Spoon - Great session, particularly straight after Telford, like Jools says. I've tried on the vaporflys but haven't even walked around the house in them yet.

SQ - We're going to a hotel near Stow on the Wold / Bourton on the Water. It took me a while to work myself up to buying a pair of shoes for £210 but I justified it by considering how much time I spend running and how much I get out of it and how little I generally spend to do it.

Reg - Turdling, I'll remember that for next time I try to make someone feel better. More likely they'll probably just think I'm a disgusting little germ.

Double Wednesday yesterday, so after the morning track session got up to the racecourse for a pretty light fartlek 6x 3min on / 1min off. Felt alright and didn't push too hard, probably a bit harder than HM effort with slow jog recovery. I quite like that the racecourse has a bit of a hill and each rep is around a different part, so I don't really worry about the pace. 
  • Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

HA  £210.... is a lot of money for a pair of running shoes.

Reviews seem to rave about the vapourflys. Will be interested to hear feedback if the 4% faster claim is true. I might have to spend more than £30 like I did on my current pair of running shoes!

EDIT - Looking on ebay £210 seems cheap - they are going for £260..... OMG are these that special?

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    FBT - it is a ridiculous amount to spend on shoes I agree. I tried to not be sucked in by the hype and wanted to believe they were nothing special but every review I read or heard said how good they are. I think Muddy might be able to shed some more light on evidence for them. Then there's the issue of buying a better time, which doesn't feel quite right. There's also the issue that they're bright orange. The shoes I'll run in today were 10 quid from decathlon, so a bit of a contrast.
  • Macca - I did chuckle away at the parkrun story - rookie error. We also have half an eye on the alphabet, but Katie's already got a J (the real Jersey), but I'm sure we'll be up that way at some point.

SQ you were absolutely robbed mate. That guy should've had an instant DQ. Scandalous. 

HA - just as well there wasn't any water in it. Fair play to splashing out on the Vaporflys. Surprisingly, being a triathlete, I'm going to hold back my cash although I'm sure they will be worth it. Looks like you're back and logging some decent sessions. Scrapping around to find some motivation from somewhere but at the moment I just don't have the drive to do any training.

Cracking to see Westy and Tom back. Sorry to hear it's not been the smoothest few months, but I hope things are back on track now. 

At an attempt to do anything other than plodding around during the week, I set out yesterday morning with the idea of doing a few hill efforts on muddy Wimbledon Common. Ended up doing 6 x approx 3 minutes, getting the HR up to 10km levels. 10 miles total @ 7mm. 

As mentioned, another stupid long run this weekend, the 'Mince Pi' run. Run as many laps of the 3.14 circuit as you want with unlimited mince pies. You can do up to 10. No prizes for guessing how many I'm planning on doing. And then I'll come back next week and moan about being fatigued.. 
  • Not sure I could do 10 laps Joe but I could easily demolish 10 mince pies. Good luck.

Welcome back to Westy and Tom, hope your respective troubles are soon behind you and we can enjoy regular weather reports and tails of 4am runs and coffee.

As I am not working, I can't justify spending £200 on a pair of shoes. I will though, when I am gainfully employed. I desperately need a new air of everyday shoes, 730 miles on them and there's very little tred left.

That dude running in proper kit on a Santa run needs to be ashamed of himself!

Nice session Spoons. Looks like you're getting properly back into it now.
  •  HA - Im happy to buy a better time :)

Hence why Im intrigued if they really do make a difference as 4% is quite a bit. Like 8 mins for me.

I might take a day off running today, got sore feet bizarrely

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Thanks for all the kind words-It's been pretty rough and to be blunt my marriage was nearly over at one point so I'm glad things are improving and I can get back to it now.

HA-Are those shoes really that good to justify that price tag? Still doing the classic big Wednesday doubles then. Great stuff!

Jools-Yeah ran a couple off shockers (Oldbury 10 in particular) but Cardiff HM wasn't too bad in the circumstances. How did you get on at Telford?

Westy- Sorry to hear about the PF plus other stuff-hope things are improving.

Spoons-Looks like you have put your injury woes well and truly behind you and getting into good shape again. You certainly have a sub 2:45 marathon in you.

Sounds like an interesting event Joe. I love a mince pie.... Need to be careful though as I'm currently about a stone heavier than I should be!

Reg-Are you targeting Wokingham then? Sub 75 attempt?

Speaking of Wokingham, presumably there is a sizable list of entrants from this thread? Hands up if you are in..

Lovely and cold first thing (out at 4:30) but very windy which was annoying. 11 miles felt reasonable....slowly, slowly.

• Yes Tom, Wokey and sub 75 is my main goal. I suspect I won't quite make it but it's probably more important to me than a sub 2:45, which I know I can do if i can just do the mileage and not have a strong wind like in Abo. I have Reading after too so if I get close then I have a second attempt, if I do it at Wokingham I will use Reading as an MP run with the focus on London.
  • Things are moving quickly all of a sudden.

I'm also pleased to see the return of Westy and Tom.  Sorry to hear you have both been through some tough times.  Good to see the return of the early runs by Tom.  Will we also get some more beer o' clocks?  I think that was mostly one of you two who liked to declare that regularly.  Bit early for that today yet though as I need to do some more work yet.  (And a run).

Ouch to the price of the Vaporflys.   Is bright orange a bad colour HA?   Defintely better than pink which dominates the market for ladies shoes.

Nice LTing spoons.

Enjoy the mince pies Joe - do they come with rum butter?  I hope so.  

Hope the sore feet recover quickly FBT.  

My sore foot is recovering well - didn't notice it too much on the hill session yesterday, just a bit downhill with more pressure on the top of the foot.  Quite enjoyed doing those reps - first was a bit of a shock to the system but got through all 7 x 3 minutes with jog returns with decent consistency.   
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good plan Reg. Sub 75 Wokey/Sub 2:45 London would be a lovely double!

Hi Hazel, glad the foot is recovering. Yep, beer o'clock will definitely be back on the agenda-usually at 5ish on a Friday!

• Good to hear from you Tom, sorry to hear about injury and marriage problems, but glad things are improving. I’m doing Wokey and Bath too. 

It certainly chilled SQ

Great double HA. Bourton is beautiful, lovely area.

Nice session Joe, if you’re doing hills your motivation can’t be that bad ;) Good luck for the Mince Pi run, sounds bonkers. 

Glad to hear the foot is improving Hazel.

Regarding the Vaporflys, they are eye-wateringly expensive, and unfortunately so popular they’re never on sale. However, they are the best running shoes I’ve ever owned. To be clear, FBT, the 4% claim is in improvement to running economy, not absolute speed. How that translates is debatable, but my HR is usually lower for a given pace than in any other shoe. I’ve certainly run big PBs since I started using them, but I’ve also trained a shit load and I’d like to think all that effort went somewhere :D

For me aside from the RE improvement, what I love most about them is how they look after my legs. With anything below marathon, they feel much less beaten up and sore post-race compared to when I used more traditional racing flats. My legs still felt trashed after a marathon, but I did maintain pace much better in the final miles which I suspect was partly due to the shoes taking better care of my legs. 

Very chilly this morning, but was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise out along the canal. 

• Reg Wand said:
    Welcome back to Westy and Tom, hope your respective troubles are soon behind you and we can enjoy regular weather reports and tails of 4am runs and coffee.

Pretty much what I was going to say.  

Re the Vapourflys, I’ll probably piss the equivalent of one shoe up the wall at tomorrows works Xmas do so I think they represent decent value.

Good luck with the mince pie race Joe (and anyone else racing).  I’ll look out for that next year as I may be able to swing a birthday pass.
  • except hopefully you'd have spelt tales correctly.
  • Tom: Telford was 39:03 which was OK but not quite what I'd hoped for when I entered it. I was at Oldbury too - again the result didn't match pre-entry expectations but I was hideously undertrained after a summer of booze & festivals whereas the w/e before Telford I was probably fatigued from heavy mileage, racing & not enough sleep.
    See you at Wokey for sure. Hope the marriage problems weren't aggravated by time spent running.
    HA - I'm not one for buying a time so the Vaporfly's will have to wait. My most expensive trainers to date were the Boston's which I paid £60 for IIRC. Going to need to replace them soon as they've raced almost 600 miles, including 4 marathons this year.
    Another 7 & 5 double so far today. Hoping to get away in time (from parents evening) for a night 'race' later too though I'll not be going flat out as don't want to injure myself. It's a Mob Match against our nearest club rivals so every runner counts. Should be a laugh with beer & chips after too :smiley:
  • Reg Wand said:
    except hopefully you'd have spelt tails correctly.
    Of course.

Good luck tonight Jools.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Made it to the race with not a second to spare. Grabbed a number & pinned it on then jogged up to the start. Not my kind of event tbh but I ran as hard as I was comfortable with in the conditions: mix of fire trails & twisty single track with lumps, roots & low branches lots of mud n hills too.
    We won the Mob Match having 53 runners to their 45. It was pretty close as we both had 10 runners in the top 20. I was 20th of 98. That's another 3.5M for the day :)
    Gather it's Happy Birthday to HA today. Were the Vaporflys your present to yourself then?
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Typical Jools-racing on a Thursday night. Excellent stuff! I was probably fast asleep at the time.

Happy Birthday HA!

Super spelling Macca-Well done!-That's the sort of comment I write on the spelling test papers of my year 3 class!

Had a bit of a lie in this morning so was out the door at 5:15 for a very chilly easy 8 miles. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hazel - Well done on the hill session

Jools - Yes 41 yesterday, so really getting on and yes the shoes were a present from myself. Well done on the mob match.

Tom - nice early start. My 7 year old daughter is a better speller than me.

Early start for me too. Really enjoyed it out there this morning, cold, crisp, clear. 2 hours for 17 miles, mostly pretty easy increasing the pace a bit at the end. As Jools picked up on Strava I'm having issues with the elevation on my watch. On an easy 5.5km yesterday apparently I did 20,000 ft climb and spent most of the run 500m below sea level. It's been a bit of an issue ever since I changed the watch strap and gave it a good clean. Must've done something to the barometer. Not sure what I can do to fix it but don't really want to buy a new watch.
  • Happy birthday for yesterday HA!  Nice run this morning. 

Well done on the mob match yesterday Jools.
  • Morning all.

HA lovely place for a break. Great big Wednesday from you and cracking long run. You have been my inspiration for distance and effort on this front. And happy birthday!

Joe – you do make me laugh. Lacking motivation? Hills and an ultra suggest otherwise. As a maths teacher, the mince Pi event is right up my strata.

Reg 730 is a lot of miles. What are your go to ‘everyday’ trainer? I’ve settled into NB Zante for these. Found some at £50 recently so bought two pairs. Hiding them in the garage until needed.

Hope the feet are ok, FBT.

Hope things settle, Tom. There is a list of Wokingham on the first page, I think. Loads of us there. Look forward to seeing you speeding off into the distance!

Yesterday: squeezed in a long run pre carol service. 18.3M amalgamating a few different routes. Averaged 7:03 pace, but ran it progressively. I’ve really enjoyed runs like this over the last couple of weeks. Two hours or so is definitely my happy place. Also enjoying my new apple watch. Definite wanker territory when paying with it, but unbelievably convenient on that front. HR on the new series seems spot on, and certainly miles better than with my garmin and strap.  Hopefully the HR Variability will be a good measure of how recovered I am on a given day/week. The only thing I can’t get my head around is the difference in times between the WorkOutDoors app I use to record my runs and then the upload this provides to strava. Won’t worry about it, and at least it is in the nicer order – further (so therefore slightly faster) once I look at strava.

Last night: curry and all the wine.

This morning: frosty recovery. Riverside looking beautiful in the sunrise. Hello spoons – sorry, I was miles away. Also – 7/10 hangover. Time for some inspirational teaching.

• Well done on the Santa run and the mega long run yesterday SQ. Are you feeling sprightly now after your humungous marathon campaign ?

Runners nod to Westy and Tom on their returns. Good luck to you both. Looking forward to the beer and weather announcements.

HA - I think you can enable elevation corrections on the Connect app, which uses map based calcs rather than altimeter. It won't jive with Strava though (unless Strava has this feature too,  hidden away somewhere). Happy birthday too !

Joe - So ... 3.14 miles fuelled by mince pis. This an irrational number xmas crossover ?

Good luck with the sore feet Hazel and FBT. Good training Hazel !

Nowt but easy running for me this week. Post race recovery and injury risk management in place, though I do feel fine now.

On the Vaporfly's my initial test with them showed a change of pace for the same effort, over the same course, two days apart, of around 15s per mile. Which turned out to be 4% improvement switching from some Saucony shoes to the Vaporfly. Interestingly my net spend on post race sports massage has pretty much hit zero since I started racing in them. So they've been saving money for me there as they leave my legs feeling remarkably unbattered - I was shocked to be walking almost normally in the afternoon immediately after the Hull marathon. I've also picked up more than £120 in prizes (which is less a consequence of the shoes, as it does depend on who turns up in my category). But for me it goes a long way to offsetting the cost. I don't mind paying extra for the shoes to make the most of my trainin. Similarly I'd pay a sports therapist etc., pay extra for a large scale competitive race, and so on.

Anyway great link here that confirms and explains the prior research: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/well/move/nike-vaporfly-4-shoe-may-make-some-run-faster.html