Options

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Options
    I'm not showing up in the Start List and processing of manual entries were supposed to be concluded yesterday, 10th December.  I have very politely written to info@comrades.com with scans of all the evidence and asking for feedback.  Otherwise I'll be in the market for a substitution come April.
  • Options
    Bike It - really sorry to hear your woes. And all their own doing too. Presume they must have others in the same predicament. Ridiculous. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sorry that this is dragging on Bike It.  I hope that it is resolved soon.
  • Options
    Bike It: Sympathies! Here's hoping that sanity prevails. And at least there IS the back-up option of the April substitution period...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hope some good news will be forthcoming soon Bike IT - I have got over my visa issues but want to leave the detail at that until my event is done, very pleased though :)
  • Options
    When I look at the 'onreg.com' start list and filter various things then there are:
    1298 International entries
    22497 RSA Entries
    24396 Total entries (which is not 1298+22497=23795).
    Which ever way I calculate there is still a lot of entries not listed against the 25000 - as a minimum 604 unlisted entries.

I've been calling the office all week with no answer, emails are unanswered.  I expect my entry is somewhere in the as-yet-unpublished list.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
  • Options
    jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Those are nice holidays for the Comrade Office I must say! Hopefully you get sorted out Bike It but guess won't be 'til Jan now. 

Only one race for me recently, a half-marathon just before a holiday to Germany. Unfortunately caught a dose of cold the day before so re-adjusted my goal time pretty much on the start line by moving back one pace group. Thankfully worked out ok as finished slightly ahead of the pacers as opposed to a probable detonation if I'd followed the original plan.

That's it now 'til the first marathon of '19 towards the end of Jan.

Best wishes for xmas & the new year!
  • Options
    Seasons greetings to one and all. Sorry to hear about all the problems with registration BikeIt, must be infuriating. I've been quite a naughty boy and am only now getting back up to 2 runs a week (averaging about 5 or 6 miles each) since I took a 'sabbatical' after qualifying in October. I'm a stone and half heavier than race day, and all in all have a lot of work to do before June. My strategy of not peaking too early is certainly working! 
  • Options
    Best wishes to all and hope everyone has a fab Christmas break.

Look forward to hearing about your epic marathon in January lowrez ;)
  • Options
    jkissane: well done for being sensible.

Saturday was the SVN 'Usual Suspects' down at Samphire How - with waves crashing over the sea wall and soaking us; later the sea wall was closed for safety reasons and we had to divert to an alternative route. By then the sleet was stinging! Yesterday's Festive Frolic the weather was much better, but my legs felt really tired and I was pretty slow (actually nothing pretty about it), but some of my fellow runners helped me keep going and I now have the right to wear a Megamarathoners "50 ultras" top.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Started the carbo-load early; owner of the local chippie snapped this on Friday as I dropped in for tea after the annual Xmas quiz at work.

Good running all; enjoy Hobart Marty!

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Options
    Max - sometimes a break is needed. Suspect next week won't help you get fit though :) might as well wait till next year!!

Debra - you are a machine and well done for running anywhere on Saturday

Lowrez - you're clearly going to keep us in suspense about your marathon :) perhaps a personal invitation from the president with use of his plane and no customs to go through!! In the meantime that's a very snazzy suit you're wearing. It's some wardrobe you have.

I have 18 for dinner next week so more focused on that than running :o 

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi SS do you have room for a 19th? I'll wear my suit, or promise not to depending on your perspective :-) and I can sit on that very low wobbly stool with several cushions on top if you haven't got enough chairs.
  • Options
    Southern Snail: good luck with that dinner!

I'm presently feeling frustrated as I've realised that the 100 Marathon Club rules for a 'road marathon' are much more limited than I thought they were, so only 4 or 5 of the ones I've done so far will count - I though I already had at least 9 of the required 10. Which pretty much rules out my reaching the 100 marathon club by this time next year - running 100 marathons/ultras, yes; 100 Marathon Club, no - I can't even work out what marathons will count if I run them! Anyone got any ideas, other than the very obvious (London, Brighton, Manchester etc.)? Preferably NOT large city marathons... Or I may just give up on the idea.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Wore my suit again for canteen Christmas lunch at work, Mrs Christmas (note not Mrs lowrez) went too :) 

Debra sorry you are hitting some issues, sounds a bit visaish. I don't mean to be detrimental to any one or any org, but it seems that whenever any group seeks to introduce some structure or governance on anything misunderstandings and antagonisms ensue. I am going to satisfy myself in my own definition of 100 marathons whenever I strike them up. To me they are road races of exactly 26.2 miles each held in recognisable towns and cities. So I would not co-opt Comrades into my definition or any other ultra, but that's just me. I have nothing against the 100 Marathon Club; achieving their accolade and T-Shirt is beyond doubt an incredible thing. I think my definition will very likely get me their T-Shirt if I apply, but I am not rushing to do that, maybe I never will. I fancy my own bespoke top, maybe even a nice fancy jacket listing the 100 places I will finally run by the time I am 70 or so, it will be a lot more meaningful to me than someone else's definition. I would equally recognise your definition and celebrate with you if you produced your own list and illustrated you had covered 26.2 miles (or more) in each of your events.

• Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Lowrez;: I'm curious - why the 'recognisable towns and cities'? What about e.g. Snowdonia? The problem I'm having with the 100 marathon club is that they are saying that if it's not been certified at exactly marathon distance (i.e. the organiser hag gone through the hoops to get it officially certified), then even if it is on road/tarmac it's not a 'road marathon'. Personally I'd saw if it's UK athletics affiliated (easy to tell as it's £2 cheaper to enter if you are a UKA member) and a marathon and on tarmac/concrete then it's a road marathon. And when I have run 100 events of marathon distance or longer, whether or not they are accredited, I will have run 100 marathons. But because I don't like big city marathons, I won't have run 10 'certified' marathons and so won't have fulfilled 100 marathon club criteria for 10 of their oh-so-narrowly-defined 'road marathons' - and may never do so. I understand the need for certified marathons for time records, but not otherwise.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Its just my personal preference Debra, but I haven't been counting anyway, I arrive home from my  last marathon and chuck the spoils on one side and just keep going, two years ago I had a horrible scramble to find my Comrades champion chip, although I later understood that chips are not that difficult to get, but I had got home chucked my kit carrier bag on one side and only re-discovered it with mouldy old trainers, chip, medal, chews etc 11 months later.

You've described it perfectly there; in desiring to align yourself with an organisation, that quite rightly has adopted some rules, you find yourself at some kind of odds with them. That can easily happen. In my 100 marathon club, that has the daft towns and cities rule, I'm dead happy, but I know I am well off any target, I'm not even counting seriously, although I must dust everything off some time and figure out where I am.

If you desire recognition and accolades from any club you will have to conform to their view of the universe or seek to persuade them otherwise. Sorry they don't count like you do. Becca would be better than me at answering this; I'm just saying "rules is rules".

• Options
    Debra - seriously frustrating for you. As I'm only on about number 10 marathon it's not a problem I have. Becca is a member to the 100 club so she might be able to help out. 

Lowrez - Alsolutely can you come to dinner. I'll sit you at the head of the table in a suit like that :)
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sorry that this rule is giving you bother Debra.  I think it's there to protect smaller road marathons, which are struggling.  There are a few road marathons that are on the smallish side but the 100 Marathon club website doesn't list many.  Halsted springs to mind but there would also be Great Langdale, Leicester, Gloucester, Windermere.  They can be UK or Ireland.  If you did the Quadrathon in the north of Ireland you could knock off four quiet road marathons in lovely scenery (apart from the last day) in four days.
  • Options
    The 100 Marathon Club website lists a total of 12 "road marathons" for the whole of 2019 - and doesn't include e.g. London on Brighton, so it's evidently slightly incomplete - and certainly is not helping people to find smaller 'certified' road marathons. I'd LIKE to find smaller certified road marathons! I've asked if they can assist with information, but otherwise I'm going to ditch even trying for that and simply enjoy reaching 100 marathons/ultras.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I think that the chap that keeps the list has had some issues and the numerous lapped trail marathons must take a lot of time to list. Loads of recent new members will have been in this position so it’s worth asking in the Facebook aspiring group or even SVN or Phoenix groups. 
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    The 100 Marathon list doesn't even have London on it at the moment, so it's quite poor.  Wrexham 17/3, Llanelli 14/4, Tenby 7/7, Hereford 13/5, North Dorset 5/5, Halsted 13/5, Worcester 19/5, Strathearn 9/6, Rutland 22/9, Loch Ness 6/10, Kielder or Sussex 13/10 are ones I would be looking at in addition to the Quadrathon https://extremenorthevents.com/quadrathon-4-half-full-marathons/ and I think you already have Boston. 
  • Options
    Very cool suit lowrez. You look like a present already wrapped up ;):)

Debra - I would say pop your sheet into the club to  find out which ones are ok. My guess would be more than you think. Lots of the marathons I have run aren't on the list but have been fine. If they produce results and have only 25 finishers I think they would probably be ok.
  • Options
    Becca, thank you for those - I had no idea most of them existed!

Marty, sadly not - not as ROAD marathons (and I need to have run 10 of those) - e.g. SVN's Dymchurch Marathon, and Saxon Shore marathon run at Deal during last year's 10-in-10 both count as mere 'trail marathons' because, although totally on tarmac/concrete and Marathons not Challenge events or ultras, they are not 'certified' courses. To be fair, they have this evening sent me a list of events that have been certified previously, so I can at least see if I could enter some.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Debra, I recognise Dym and SS as marathons and I bet everyone else on this forum does, I bet Comrades would too. So in our eyes you will qualify as a 100 marathoner prior to whatever The Club decide.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    It's not that they aren't recognised as marathons, lowrez, it's that they don't count as road marathons.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    So are there different awards in the club Becca for reaching 100, or only one and it has to be based on the road definition?
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    There aren't different awards (although there are mementoes to mark 200, 300 etc), just a single set of rules for joining and one of those is that 10 road marathons must be among the 100.   
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yo! I am well qualified (but nowhere near 100 yet I think)