New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Today I had a 12 mile bike ride by the Exe, then settled down in the bird hide for well over an hour. Snipes! What wonderful plumage. 

HS: Very sorry to hear you have a sore throat. I hope it didn't affect your birthday celebrations. 

What are you knitting at the moment, Red? 

Damian: Really sorry to hear of your rash and flu. What is the doctor's solution?

Columba: That four month old stage really is lovely, isn't it? I wouldn't say my two year old toddler grandson has tantrums. Just now and again. At the moment, he's lovely. He talks and loves trains and I'm down there on the floor with the BRIO, just like old times. The 10 month old grandson met Father Christmas at the weekend and screamed his head off in terror. I can sort of see his point. 

I see tomorrow's parliamentary vote on Theresa May's Brexit deal has been called off. What can I say that has not already been said or thought? 

• Morning all,

Did a short time trial yesterday. The route I used has only got 2 short sharp hills which is about as close to flat as it gets here. 1 mile jog to the end of the village then pushed the pace a bit coming back. 2 miles in 19:23. So that's my benchmark and I shall be checking on my progress every couple of weeks. Will be out later for about 6 miles.

Exhausted, steady on with the bike riding or you'll be heading into duathlon territory! Bird watching is wonderful isn't it. I'm not good at identifying sea birds but do love settling down in the hides at Rye Harbour where there are lots of charts to aid identification. I'm with your grandson as FC ranks along with clowns in my book; very scary indeed. At the moment I am knitting leg warmers and a hat for my yoga teachers and a jumper for myself.

TE, how's your cold progressing? Hope you're feeling better xxx I'm developing a scratchy throat and unladylike and very gunky asthma cough so I hope you haven't shared it :wink:
  • Morning all,

Moks, well done for breaking your 38 minute target on a hilly and windy course.

Red, your training and racing seem to be going very well. Sorry to hear that you too are now suffering from a nasty cold. Please take it a bit easier, as it could be quite damaging pushing yourself whilst unwell xx I hope I didn't pass it on to you. I'm feeling a bit better this morning, but the cold doesn't seem to want to say goodbye. I haven't run since Monday last week, or spinning since Wednesday, just haven't felt up to it.

Exhausted, sounds idyllic, a 12 mile bike ride and then an hour in the bird hide.
    Thanks, the cold didn't affect the birthday celebrations too much, but some of them were going afterwards to a local pub where one of our club runners band was playing. Unfortunately, I didn't feel well enough to go with them. It was probably just as well I didn't go, because when I got home, I found that I had lost my voice. It's still a bit croaky today.
    It seems a long time ago that Mrs May said "Brexit means Brexit!" I'm afraid I was watching the proceeding in the House of Commons yesterday afternoon on the BBC News Channel, from 3.30 when May was scheduled to start, to early evening. What a shambles, I hope that Mrs May will have some success with today's whistle stop tour but have my doubts. 
  • HS: Poor you! We know that you're a brave stoic bloke, so you really must have felt it badly not to go on a knees-up with your fellow runners. Pamper yourself a bit with a sit by the fire, then some gentle walks. 

Red: I think it's the synthetic smell of Father Christmas with his polyester outfit that puts children off. I have quite a few grainy black-and-white photos of me with my brothers meeting Father Christmas. I look quite cheerful, so I must have been older and more avaricious. I think if I knitted anything for anyone they'd still be waiting 20 years later. I'm not sure why I struggle so much with knitting and needlework - but I do. Mr E does most of the sewing (buttons etc.) 

Our village carol service tonight. Always something to enjoy. 
  • Morning all, stupid cold's gone to my chest so no running or yoga today as I do not want the incubus to take hold of anyone else! Should be better by the weekend for the Festive Frolic mara/ultra on Sunday.......Glad I did 5.5 hilly miles yesterday and was 5 minutes faster than usual (which was a surprise).

TE, hot toddys all round methinks x

Exhausted, I don't like costumes disguising the face! You have trained MrE very well. Hope the carol service was successful - we've got carols on the Village Green next week which is always lovely. You've just reminded me I need to take a box of things down to the church for 'Surviving Christmas'.
  • Morning all,

Exhausted, I did walk quite briskly to the supermarket and back yesterday, which "did buck me up a bit!" We have a Lidl store opening in the village in January, which will probably have an impact on Waitrose. The supermarket near me is Tesco, so that will probably suffer a loss of trade also. 
    Hope you enjoyed your village carol service last night.

Red, doesn't sound so good, your cold going onto your chest, please be careful x Hope you are ok at the weekend for the Festive Frolic mara/ultra. Well done for your speedy hilly 5.5 mile run yesterday.
    Hope you will be in fine voice for the Village Green carols next week.

I don't remember my sister or I having any problems meeting Father Christmas when we were small. He was in Bentalls in Kingston on Thames every year, and there was a "magical ride" to Lapland to see him. It was so realistic to us, but in fact, we didn't travel at all, but we entered one way and the floor moved up and down as if we were flying. We exited the other end of the room and he was there. I also remember there was a "Jimmy Jingles" as well on another floor of the store, who also gave toys. Such innocent days!

Hoping to go for a gentle run tomorrow, but knowing my luck, the weather will probably turn for the worse. Conditions have been ideal during my non running days.
    48 letters of non confidence in the Prime Minister received, so PM's Question Time should be interesting.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Exhausted - I'm hoping the golf game on Tue 18th will be a proper 'shoot-out' and naturally, I'd like to win again.

Damien - sorry to hear you've had a nasty virus .. hope you're getting over it by now.

Columba - I also remember Snopake and worryingly ('cos I had my suspicions and just checked) I still have a bottle of Tipp-Ex in my study draw (no idea why I've kept it but I'll keep hold of it for the time being). I would have been very surprised if you hadn't been able to pronounce LLanfair PG properly. It sounds like maybe your pipes are flexing and that's causing the leak? Anyway, sounds like the plumber is on the case.

HS - sorry to hear you've had a cold lurgy stopping you from running and spinning.

Mok - sorry to hear the bad news about your friends. But woo-hoo to getting a prize at that race.

Red - sorry, unless that was 'extreme' knitting, I doubt it qualifies as cross-training ;) Uh-oh .. I see you also have a cold lurgy now :(

My tip for getting to sleep is one I picked up recently - relax the muscles in your face, shoulders, arms, chest, legs then imagine you're (a) lying in a canoe on a calm lake with a clear blue sky overhead (b) lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room. They're said to need some practise and I don't tend to struggle to drop off - but I tried (b) one night and fell asleep very quickly.

We have a club 'road race' competition and last week I entered one that takes place in mid-January. Today I've entered another race that takes place in (drum roll ..) mid-June. Btw, my race number is 66 so I'm partly beastly ..

I've done three 5ml runs since my last posting. Two 'sociable' 5ml runs with the club with 2-for-1 coffees afterwards. But I ran 5 mls by myself on Tue morning and although it felt average at the time, when I logged it afterwards, I found it was my 2nd fastest run this year (based on average pace) - my previous fastest run was back in January. 

Btw, I took my new golf clubs to the driving range yesterday for a try-out .. they're definitely easier to use and the ball seems to go further and straighter when I connect properly so hoping to use them for real on Tue.

• Morning all,

Another very cold morning, but bright and sunny.

WtnMel, I like the 66 race number, half of Iron Maiden's "666 the number of the beast!" Alice had 666 in one race and I have had 118 "got your number," and 208 "radio Luxembourg."
    Well done for your three 5 mile runs since last posting, and getting quicker.
    Glad that your new golf clubs are producing results, and hopefully you will be able to beat your friend Alan on Tuesday, a hole in one perhaps. :o  

My cold refuses to leave me, but is getting better. I haven't run since Monday December 3rd, but the "rest days" won't do any harm, and I'll soon be out and running again. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - not running today but took peelings etc. to the compost bin a short while ago and that was cold enough! I immediately thought of Iron Maiden when I saw that number but I've never had any other amusing numbers like the two you mentioned. A hole in one is always a possibility on the short par 3 hole but sadly, our accuracy isn't ever quite that good! Sorry to hear your cold lurgy is still hanging around.
  • Afternoon all ,HS get well soon , garlic is the answer, lots of it this time of year, keeps the little buggers away. 
    Last sprint session of the year 4x800m done. 
    Looking at next years training, Mont Saint Michel marathon last weekend of May 
    Getting colder but no frost yet.
    X country this Sunday and it's only 6500m, ran it last year and managed to come last but one !!!

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Afternoon all,

Bugsy Redhead here. Stupid cold has refused to leave my chest so I've pulled out of the marathon this weekend. This is my first full-blown cold since 2011 when I had to pull out of Beachy Head marathon as I normally shift them quickly - Moks I eat loads of garlic but sadly it hasn't helped me this time. Never mind, I've got another marathon booked for next weekend so should be better by then

TE, how's your cold?

Moks, have fun in your xc. Hope there's lots of lovely mud for you to play in :smiley:

WtnMel, 3 more runs is good. Keep it up! 

I chuckle in a peurile way each time I spot the yellow bus going up and down outside Parliament!

• Morning all,

Thanks everyone, my cold has nearly gone, but I'm glad that I decided not to run this morning. The weather is atrocious, pouring with rain and an icy, biting wind. Todays exercise was walking briskly to and from the supermarket.

Moks, hope you do well in tomorrows cross country , and that the weather is better than todays.

Red, very wise to pull out of this weekends marathon. Your cold seems to be similar to mine. I usually shake them off within a few days, but this one has been particularly stubborn. Hope you are better for next weekends marathon.
    The message on the side of the bus sums it all up. It's like a Christmas pantomime, oh yes it is :s  
  • Haha! Glad I'm not running today as the weather is horrid :smiley:
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Mok - hope the x-country went well.

Red - hope your cold lurgy is improving. I don't eat garlic but haven't had a cold for a while (touches wood and rubs lucky rabbit's foot).

HS - glad to hear your cold lurgy has almost gone. 

No running for me this weekend (original plans got shelved). But judging by the weather, a lucky escape! Hope to run tomorrow but have some clearing up to first. The drains blocked while I was out and caused a flood in the utility room. Margaret got some people out to 'jet' the drains to clear the blockage. But I need to move the tumble dryer and washing machine and get access under the cupboard to mop up any remaining standing water. The washing machine is very heavy - last time I tried moving it the lino got ripped so I'll be trying the old "washing-up liquid under the feet" trick hoping that will make it slide on the floor.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Update: Tried pulling the tumble dryer out from under the worktop. It seemed 'stuck' somehow but then I remembered the lino doesn't go all the way under. Tilted the dryer to lift the back legs off floor and it slid out without further problems. This allowed me to see under the cupboard and there was no standing water anywhere! Huge relief as you can imagine. The floor under the cupboard was slightly damp so I've left the dryer in situ for now to allow it to dry out properly. I'll slide the dryer back later but important job done, I shall head out for a run shortly :)
  • Afternoon all,

WtnMel, thanks the cold is on the way out.
    Not much fun, blocked drains. When my washing machine had to be pulled out recently to replace the heating element which had become encrusted with lime scale,the engineer was able to slide the machine out on metal strips, which prevented the lino from being ripped.
    Hope you manged to get out for your run.

After two weeks of little communication with the outside world, except for daily walk to the supermarket, I was able to burst out from the bubble today. I ran 8 miles this morning with the two Sarah's and had a pub lunch with Alice.
  • Hi all , X country ran, wind, rain and mud lots of mud. anyways 1 sec faster than 2 years ago !!!! 
  • Evening all,

Just back from another funeral, hope there aren't any more this year - Christmas cards have been full of gloomy news. My cold is nearly gone, although still chesty so no running, but Mike has now come down with it poor love. Hopeful that I'll be OK for my marathon thsi weekend.

TE, glad you're out and about again and being looked after by the ladies!

Moks,1 sec faster counts as a pb in my world :wink:

WtnMel, hope the dryer is OK now and that it was just a blip.
  • Morning all,

Very dull and dark, with a yellow warning for wind and rain later.

Moks, 1 second faster and 2 years older, is good progress, especially in the wind, rain and mud.

Red, sorry to hear that you have been to another funeral. Always seems worse this time of year. Christmas is a bad time for me, as both parents died in December.  Dad 3 days after Christmas in 2008, and Mum on Christmas Day 2011.
    Glad to hear that your cold is nearly gone, but be careful with the chesty condition. Hope you will be ok for your marathon at the weekend , but don't run if you are still chesty. Hope Mike's cold isn't too heavy.
    Thanks for your kind words, and yes, they do look after me. :)  

I'm still a bit sniffy, so decided not to go to spin class this morning. Instead, I have started sorting out old running t shirts and jumpers, and walked briskly to the charity bin with them.  A useful walk of 0.9 mile. I'll be walking to the supermarket later which will total another 1.5 miles. I've got several pairs of old trainers and walking boots, which will be the next lot to go into the charity bin especially for shoes and trainers.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

HS - metal strips .. hadn't thought of that! Glad to hear you were able to get out for an 8ml run and a sociable lunch afterwards. Good idea to give the spin class a miss if you're still not 100%. I don't think I'll be throwing any out but I must sort through my running t-shirts as they're getting mixed up with the non-running stuff.

Mok - well done for being faster than two years ago (wish I could say the same!!)

Red - dryer was fine. Meanwhile, I've updated my Outlook calendar to remind me to bung plughole un-blocker down the drains on a regular basis to avoid any repeat of the blockage problem. Glad to hear your cold has almost gone but shame Mike now has it. 

I managed a 4ml run yesterday (and at 10:38mm pace which is around the fastest I've managed all year). Stupidly (and not quite sure how), whilst loading the dishwasher yesterday evening I turned quickly and tweaked my left leg between the calf muscle and Achilles tendon. It's a bit sore and tight but hoping it'll be better by Thu when I hope to run with the club.

Not surprisingly, my friend Alan and I cancelled our planned golf today .. we'll re-commence battle in 2019.
  • Red: Very sorry about the funeral. I know how you can come out feeling very torn apart, especially when it's a contemporary with whom you'd laughed, drank and acted a bit wild with for many years. Don't run this weekend if you don't feel up to it.

I must admit that none of the cards that have arrived this Christmas bear gloomy news. One of the most depressing things about cards is how successful everyone is compared to us. We just seem to bumble on, in comparison. No flash holidays or unexpected wealth or accolades showered upon us.

WtnMel: Glad no water was lurking. At least a tumble dryer is relatively light. I'll never forget helping Mr E carry the broken washing machine down the outside steps. I've never carried anything so heavy. Irritating to get a niggly injury just turning round. I've done it myself.

HS: 'Glad to see that you're back in the land of the living and doing what you enjoy.

Moshaeight: Faster than two years ago. Well done. 

This afternoon I looked at two marathons and two half-marathons for next year, sitting in my cosy study with the wind and rain lashing down outside. Before booking I paused to think and remember how I feel just before, during and after these races and how it's a form of hell. I've left them all there, to decide. 
  • Hello, dropping in again. Commiserations to those with colds, congratulations to those (Moks?) with PBs. Leak has been temporarily repaired; plumber coming in the new year to do a proper job. Done a few little runs, can't get up much enthusiasm for a long run at this time of year; even when it isn't raining or blowing a howling gale, it's miserably dark. 
  • Just popping in to say hi to everyone, will read back and post properly tomorrow ( hopefully!)
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Exhausted - I think those 'round robin' and xmas card messages tend to be like most postings on Facebook etc. .. you only tend to hear the 'good' stuff and not the bad or humdrum so it's probably giving an unfair slant on other people's lives.

Columba - glad to hear the leak has been resolved, albeit temporarily.

Aquarius - saying hi back and hope to hear more from you when you have the time.

That niggle in my calf seems to have gone away so I should be okay to run with the club tomorrow.
  • Good morning all, I’ve been so busy with Christmas shopping, present wrapping, card writing, babysitting etc that I haven’t had time to catch up on here for ages. Nothing much to report on the running front really, as the weather has been too horrible, although I managed to get to the coast last week for this month’s GP event, and fortunately I improved on last month’s dreadful time, but only by 18 seconds per mile (annoyingly I lost satellite reception for a while, as I did at last month’s race, so don’t know my finish times for comparison, and the results page comes up “page not found” after a week or so). I also managed to fit in a parkrun (first for ages) on Saturday. We’d been to our club Christmas dinner on the Friday night and stayed overnight at the Premier Inn, and as the Parkrun start was literally two minutes away from the P Inn I decided to give it a go. I probably chose one of the worst days weather-wise as it was bitterly cold and blowing a gale. The sea was wild with huge grey waves and the poor marshals looked frozen. The wind made it a slow run for everyone, but at least it was a run, and I was very glad to get back to the P Inn for a hot shower afterwards. Steve stayed on to go to a Christmas lunch at the rugby club so I got the metro and bus home (about a two hour journey). The freezing rain and wind that had been promised arrived when I eventually got off the bus, making the 20 min uphill walk to our house seem to take forever. I was muffled up in my Berghaus so only my eyes and nose were peeping out but even so it was horribly cold, strangely enough my knees felt the coldest part of me, although I don’t know why that should be. Fortunately we have just invested in a second hand LandRover Discovery (after our BMW was useless last year in the snow) so Steve had no difficulty getting home when the snow arrived shortly afterwards. My eldest son however had to abandon his car on the way home as it was sliding about so much in the snow (another BMW) and youngest son had to rescue him (Range Rover). The moral of the tale being if you are going to live in an area that is very hilly and subject to bad winters get a 4WD vehicle!
    Yesterday we went over the Pennines to the Lake District and whilst there I had to “spend a penny” at the public toilets in Keswick, but instead of being free, there was turnstile with a 40p charge! The sign read “Cash or card, contactless accepted” A sign of the times? I vaguely remember being charged 50p some years ago, in London I think. Can anyone beat that? 

Reading back I see there’s some tenacious cold germs outstaying their welcome with Red (and now Mike) and also HS, hope you are all on the mend now. Poor Damien has a nasty sounding lurgy too. At this time of the year there are always lots of bugs going around with little chance of avoiding them unless you never leave the house and avoid all human contact. 

I’ve also had gloomy news in Christmas cards this year Red, which is always sobering and makes you count your blessings. I’m sorry to hear you’ve been to a funeral, it’s so sad when people die at Christmas, you really feel for their family and friends, Christmas will never be the same for them again. 

Exhausted when my children were young one of my friends with similarly aged children used to fill their Christmas card each year with boasting about what incredibly clever/popular/gifted offspring they had. As adults none of them have turned out to be especially successful, so I would take any boastful talk in cards with a pinch of salt. And anyway, when you think about it would you really want to change places with the sender(s)? There’s a lot to be said for bumbling on. (Any more thoughts on those marathons and half marathons?)

Well done Moks on your XC result, it’s hard enough running in mud without the added problem of wind and rain. 

Glad to hear your plumbing problem has been sorted Columba, even if only temporarily. I agree about it being miserably cold and dark these days, sometimes it’s so gloomy we have to keep the lights on all day. 

Well done on your fastest pace this year WtnMel. Hope your calf injury has fully cleared up, I remember doing a similar thing getting out of the back seat of a two door car, must have just put my foot down awkwardly, such a silly sort of injury to get. 

HS I’ve just noticed you “burst from your bubble” earlier this week and managed a run with the Sarahs followed by lunch with Alice, so I expect you must be on the mend. 

• Morning all,

Tough few days here with Mike being especially lurgified and the usual Christmas death anniversaries which never get any easier. I am virtually OK although still a bit heady but I intend to run my marathon on Saturdayasit will be my last one this year.

Aquarius, welcome back. Good move re the Land Rover although we rather enjoy being snowed-in, unless of course we need to be somewhere in which case we whinge like mad! Amongst others, my dad died in December and was buried on Christmas Eve, my mum went into the nursing home for the last few months of her life on Christmas Eve, my best friend from childhood killed himself on New Years Eve - I could go on..........the run-up to the end of the year is not an easy time for me. Well done on battling round the parkrun in such tough conditions.

WtnMel, hope your calf held up a your club run.

Columba, hello again. Hope you have a lovely time with your family at Christmas xxx

Exhausted, I hope you pressed 'enter' for those events! I want to see you at VLM :smiley:
  • Afternoon all,

Aquarius, thankfully we have had no snow in the New Forest region, but lots of heavy rain. 
    Yes, I've burst out of my bubble at last. My cold still hasn't gone completely, but is 99% there.

Red, take it easy for your marathon on Saturday, and don't worry about the time.

I did a good pace road run this morning at very consistent miling, miles 2,5 and 6 all being 9.39 pace.
  • Funny really how history can influence our present mood ! 
    My middle son was born on xmas eve on our first wedding anniversary ! 

Red, have a good run  on Saturday .

Hillstrider, well done on your even pace running, more to come ? 

9K race tomorrow night in Morlaix town centre. Hopefully the xmas lights will light up the route.  
  • Red, I can quite see how the Christmas period is a challenging time for you, and you too HS.  Commiserations and best wishes to you both x

Good luck with your race tomorrow Moks.