Sub 3

Comments

• nearly missed your report OO (Id drafted the below but didn't get chance to post) 
    Nice report and execution. Race sounds a great event I'll keep it in mind if I decide to go really events crackers next year! 

Thanks for the well wishes / comments, 
    I ended up doing 90 mins on the turbo Saturday, zero sunday and thought sod it and run commuted 10.5 yesterday morning. Seemed alright, but quads have Doms today!! 40 mins easy offroad earlier on. Phys returning tomorrow afternoon to inflict pain on me! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    OO - LMH has a point there, i wish i went back to the fizz straight after Yeovil rather than the end of july, id have had another good month before Abo then.

WTG - not quite the regular short run plan then, but sounds like you are pretty well sorted now anyway.

13m run home tonight.  123m for the month, 135m to go.
  • Sounds like good news WTGY.
    More solid training there TR.
    7.5M + 5M double for me leaves me needing 133. Really ought to do a few more MLRs instead of so many doubles. Unfortunately time constraints make them hard to fit in.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - agreed on the mlr's being tough to fit in. I can get them in by running home or in and extending it a bit, but it still takes some time management. They are also a chore at times, i prefer running early in the day, and was only going to do 10 tonight, but want to get an mlr in most weeks if possible.
  • Good news WTGY.

This time of year certainly makes the MLR more of an issue if you're not fortunate enough to work part time or shifts.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TR Nope, I should have gone out on Sunday, but sports and family stuff prevented it, then I figured its probably as much in my head as physically, and 10.5 would give me confidence for shorter runs. 

great miles both you and Jooligan for the targets, I'm going to fall short of 1k  :/
    Thanks LMH 
    8 miles ish this morning mix of trail and road / finding out that some of the trails I'd plotted on OS maps aren't passable / not findable in the dark 
  • Nice write-up OO, but that video is painful to watch!

A double on Monday ended an inadvertent 7-day, 73-mile streak and had my niggle coming back a bit TR. But yesterday was a rest day (work Xmas do followed by pub crawl attempting to keep up with younger generation, oh dear), and so is today as I have to get home promptly for another event. So I'll be well rested/recovered for resuming training tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Wtg - sounds like the physio shouldn't need to see you agsin after today.

CW - hopefully all that booze will flush out yr niggle then, the boozing sounds tougher than run training.

Seeing as its 18 weeks til Brighton, ive been loosely looking at P and D, which would include a couple of mlr and a 10 with some 10M or 1/2 mara in it, plus a long run in the early weeks. After Christmas I'll bring in the BAC sessions (probably alternating with the 800 reps that the IM folks like Joe does). This weeks P and D had 10 with 4 hard in it, i cant get myself moving quick enough to run 1/2 mara pace in training, so I compromised with pushing a 6m section of my commute, which is a bit hilly early on, but i know i did it a few times around av 6.50 in March before i hurt my hammy. Today i did it av 6.47, which means im still fit- ish. Felt tough, but i suppose that's the idea. 10m in total. Im over halfway to the 258 required in Dec.
  • Great report OO and I'll join the ranks adding Malaga to the wish list!

Running club Christmas social tonight - 20 x 1 min pushes then curry and beer! 
  • good morning, yup TR she doesn't need to see me for a while, I'm going to have a bit of maintenance in a month or so. Got bruising again from her having a go at the calves. 
    So your week will consist of 3 main sessions - LR MLR and double figure with some tempo in there, and bits in-between? anything at marathon pace? (or will that be more ad hoc like the 6 miles you did on commute?)

about a month ago I started to write some plans based on a few elements from different plans, I'm going to pick that back up now mojo is reappearing.  

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    As I generally wfh, luckily have lots of flexibility to run weekdays. The downside was a 7 hour commute to yesterday's company Christmas party which I passed up on.
    TR - That looks a good sess, 6.47 is pretty swift and good to see the time per mile declining.    
    WTGY - Be consistently consistent now.
    EE - Cheers - Malaga 2019, 30E to enter until 21/12.  
    3m easy earlier, legs feel surprisingly good.
  • Nice pace TR.

More good news WTGY.

What happened to this downtime OuchOuch?
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    LMH - I don't think my mind or body could handle 4 days of no-running, point taken though. The plan is to take it very easy for the next month, rejuvenate, freshen-up, sort out injuries, eat and drink. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    WTG - good news on the physio all clear. Roughly I'll try for a long run, mlr and a session which will be the mlr some weeks. Ideally a bit of MP in the odd long run rather than all my usual slow long runs, but that would be two tougg longish runs in the same week. As ever it depends upon what life throws up some weeks. Hopefully I'll be a lot better prepared than i was for Abo.

OO - agreed with your easy few weeks, get on the beer. I have a day off tomorrow so im having a few later!
  • OO - flippin' fantastic run at the weekend. Enjoyed your report and you've sold Malaga as a race/mini break destination very well. Chicken soup masquerading as chocolate milk made me chuckle tho'

Jooligan - decent effort at Telford considering your reservations beforehand and the conditions.

Wardi - glad to read the niggle was fleeting.

CW - been following progress on Strava and glad to see progress on the niggle front.

WTGY - glad to read you are back running. As OO said, keep it steady for a few weeks whilst you build back into things.

TR - noted some great miles getting banked which is good to see. I also note the 18 weeks until race day claxon sounding loudly.

LMH - are you ticking over/running injury free? Did I read you and Wardi are Brass Monkey bound?

Cutback week last week (30 miles) culminating in Stockport 10 last Sunday. Hilly race with two short but sharp climbs at 4.5 and 8.5 miles. Happy to run strong and finish in mid 62mins. Ran steady but kicked on and finished really strongly. Course is worth 90 secs I reckon having run this and a flat 10 with that exact deviation.

Have kept things easy with the odd blast and club sessions on Tuesdays. That minor op next week will see me on R&R over Xmas week I reckon.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Haven't been on for a while (very busy at work and at home), so only skimmed back I'm afraid.

Massive congrats to OO on a fantastic run and impressive sequence of marathon results. I'd love to have a go at lots of races like that but not feasible at the moment unfortunately.

Spotted a very nice 21M run by TR too, looks like it's coming together for you.

Jooligan - pretty solid 10k, and I would have thought you would go faster without a hard parkrun the day before?

Just ticking over here - decent track session on Tuesday evening but just short lunchtime runs apart from that. Another XC on Sunday, although we are going out on Saturday evening (I've missed all of our socials so far this year so looking forward to that) so I may not be on top form!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - sounds like you are around 60min shape then, with full beans on a better course. Thats a good place to be going into your little enforced break, sub60 is tougher than sub3.

Padams - i'm on it like a car bonnet, that 3.01 is fuelling the fires.

Got a bit of a cold and don't want to get sucked into making every long run a 20 (or more), so i "only" did 18 today. But as padams said i must be getting stronger as i pushed on a bit in the last couple of miles and ended with a 6.3X mile, although it made my chest ache in the cold. 157m for the month so far, 101 needed, im going to try to achieve that by 24th, ready for a day off Christmas Day.
  • Cracking 10M SJ. Clearly the cutback week allowed you to capitalise on the previous high volume fortnight.
    Well done TR. You've now overtaken me again: I still need 107 less whatever I do today which won't be much over 3 & may even be zero as I ended up running 3x yesterday.
    7+5 double as usual but then a 5.4K off road night race too. Nothing too serious as I don't like not seeing the ground properly. It was a Mob Match against our nearest rivals though so had to put a bit of effort in. Finished 20th of 98 to help our club to victory :smile:
  • Good to read through the reports again..

Backing up what OO said (Great run btw) Malaga is a bit underrated as a city, I was there in Sept for the World masters. OO - I presume you ran round the new city track out near the arena. Not being in the UK - Malaga had three tracks plus one down the road in Torremolinos. The city is great too, shame most head off down the coast to 'Marbs' when they get off the plane.

TR - Chichester was annoyingly windy last year, but the course has potential to be proper fast. I'm not doing it this year though, not going for the England masters thing in Brum. Jooligan -Will have to have a stab at Telford one day - does look a bit crowded at the start though.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - im not even on doubles let alone a triple !

Simon - the new Chichester course could be quick as you say, the old course was quick but now a lap of the motor cct should make the new one even quicker. Its wasted on my no specific prep and diesel engine though.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Padams Not sure how much parkrun affects me on a 10K. Never really tried without. I usually only race 1 10K & a 10,000m each year. I did run a 38:55 track PB in September after racing a Mile as a warm-up. That was on a Friday night. Last year I did Valentine's in 19:38 after a 4M jog then ran 39:09 at Battersea park on the Sunday having cycled 12M to get there after a night out on the beer. I then did Weymouth on Xmas Day in 19:23 before running Poole 10K on Boxing Day in 39:07. My PB is only 38:45 set in 2015 after running 19:31 at Kingsway the day before. 2016 I would have bettered that but for an enforced pit stop just after 5K which cost me 90s + anything I lost during the previous uncomfortable 3K. Finished in 40:05. I'd done a sub 20 on my local parkrun (muddy, twisty, rooty) the day before too. 
    SC2 Telford start is a bit like XC but on a narrow bit of tarmac. You doing Boxing Day Poole 10K this year?
    TR Only did a triple cause I wasn't sure I'd get away from work in time for the race so did my lunch 5M just in case I couldn't. Made it with seconds to spare in the end though.
    Did 3 at lunch today so 104 left & 17 days to do them
  • sj - nice ten mile time. A good time to have your minor op and some down time, earn some brownie points and enjoy some family time, you're in a good place to have a break. I'm ticking over happily around 80 miles a week and just managing my usual niggles. Was at the physio on Thursday which was rather painful but everything was confirmed as a niggle rather than an issue so that was good. Yes, all being well I'm Brass Monkey bound.

Slacker TR!

Surely a flat out 5k is going to take something out of you for he next day Jooligan?

Hope you enjoy your night out Padams.

So how are your niggles feeling OuchOuch?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    SJ.. top result in the 10 miler, enjoy the Xmas R&R.  Funnily enough we were reminiscing about our old local 10 mile race this week.. have a look at these results from 1989, note the number of runners under the hour!
    LMH.. good miles you're ticking over, I hope the weather for Brass isn't like this morning!
    Jooligan.. my legs tend to be a bit frazzled the day after a full bore Park Run but the only time I consciously avoid it is if I have an 'A' race the day after.
    TR.. nice 18 miler done, inching towards the big target.
    I decided to pop down to the Park Run today merely because it looked like like the least horrible part of the day.  It was 1 degree and blowing a 20mph wind, first time I've worn 3 layers (and a beanie hat) for a Park Run - and that was only just enough.  :o  My hands have just thawed out!  I should hit my 2,500 mile target by the end of next week,12m MLR with clubmates tomorrow snow/ice permitting.

• I expect to be stood shivering on the start line in my vest and shorts wondering why on earth I thought it was a good idea when I entered Wardi. Feels like -4C here this morning, fortunately tomorrow is supposed to feel a little warmer.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - ill be back on the 20s soon, no slacking in the last mile though. So im getting stronger.

Wardi - i feel your misery today, it was a grim day for running.

Jools - i have LT 100 to go now !

Todays 10m was miserable in the rain, wind and cold. Defo one for the Brighton memory banks. The 3.01 got me round though.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Wardi - Frightening standard back in '89. I've always loved the 10 mile for some reason. An out of favour event it seems now. The flat Sale 10 went a few years ago but the hilly Stockport 10 seems to be thriving with over 1200 toeing the line last Sunday.

Jooligan - yes I think you are right. I did feel nice and fresh on race morning. Needed a break so took it and probably rewarded with a better than expected result.

LMH - Very nicely ticking along then. Hope the niggle management continues to allow you to keep the consistency going.

TR - nice long run banked early again and followed up with a solid 10. You must be feeling really good atm. Best of luck with hitting the yearly total. I reckon I could get close to 61 on current fitness.

10 here this morning in cold but dry conditions. That wind was something else tho'. Hopefully slightly warmer tomorrow although it's only delaying the inevitable... 20 milers every weekend in freezing temps through Jan/Feb. Burrrrrr
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Went and did the same parkrun as six weeks ago when I targeted it as a peak marathon fitness 100% effort and ran it in 17:30.  This time I went out on a rare all dayer yesterday getting through 8 pints and a curry.  Did it a bit hungover therefore today, at about 90% effort in 17.14.

Funny old game Saint  :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Sj - you obviously havnt had the rain we have had today. Im just about to cop another soaking when i take the dog out, we both copped it early doors too. Good news if you are 61 shape. I was pleased with being able to finish fast yday, and my legs were fine today. Im probably in better shape than before Abo, but then ive kept the miles and long runs up. Just need to keep cranking the handle for a while now, worthing 1/2 in 8 weeks will provide a marker. Although im sure that the running rollercoaster will have a few dips before then.

Dan - you had best have 8 pints and a curry before your next mara then.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Tut tut Dan, nicking one of Crab's catchphrases - he'll be on here slapping your wrist soon.  Cracking run following a day of gluttony though.   :)
  • Nice indulging and parkrunning Dan.