The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• 4 rather tired and sluggish miles last night. Think I am getting a cold and had also failed to eat enough yesterday afternoon, which left me feeling pretty low on energy. Hoping for better tonight.

818.5 YTD

• Afternoon all,

MrM2, The treadmill marathon is just for fun, hope you enjoy Malaga either as a runner or spectator.

Cal, Sorry to hear you didn't go to Valencia, from what I saw it looked lovely, sorry shouldn't have said that, it was horrible! Glad you are feeling better now.

Donnie, Well done under the circumstances, great negative split.

Harmander, Great mileage as always, what are you hoping for at the Dawn to Dusk?

Lilly, All the best, hope everything soon sorts itself out for you.

Just a couple of runs for me as a very busy week at home, my daughters 6th birthday and countless trips into schools for various Christmas performances etc.

03.12.18 - 3.75
    04.12.18 - 10
    06.12.18 - 6.25

YTD = 1191.45

• Well done all - December is always a tricky month for fitting in runs.
    I did a 6 today and felt much more like my old self, although (despite waiting all morning for the rain to stop) I got pelted by  hailstones for the last couple of miles. Fun!
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks David. 
    Went out for an easy 4' in Malaga this morning, before Breakfast(!) and included one mile at mara.pace. Feeling quite good about running the marathon, and picked up my number this afternoon. Unsure how I'll tackle this one, but I'm hoping that it will be a worthwhile effort.
  • Good luck MrM2!

7.5 for me tonight.

826 YTD 
  • Good luck MrM2

7.12 7.55 miles
    8.12 5.63 miles

YTD 1724.02 miles

• Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hey fellow runners,
    Finally been able to out two runs back to back ... although the less said about the pace the better lol. If i can string a coherent month together now ... i'll think about signing up for something again.
    Too many things to catch up on, but Good luck MrM2 and i hope things get easier soon Lilly
    6 Dec - 4.0m
    8 Dec - 4.0m
    YTD: 1072.4 Miles

Posted on phone firgive any speeling mistakes.
  • 10 miles done today - the cold seems to have left my system. A real shame Valencia wasn't this weekend. Oh well.
    Just checked my Garmin stats and I've run 1461 miles so far so I should be good for 1500 by the year's end. August was my highest month - 187 miles logged. Yikes.
  • YTD: 1001.2 + 4 + 4 + 3.1+ 1 +3.1 + 6.2 = 1024.5

My competitive, well 'organised event' year is over. Actually nothing planned until the Sheffield half marathon in April. 

Mr MM: Malaga will be over now. Hope the sun was warm and you enjoyed the weekend whether running or not.

Steve and Lilly: Great to see you both posting and in the case of Steve running again. 

Cal: I heard your frustration. Great annual target and the Vienna marathon sounds good. Never run there but visited the city twice and really enjoyed it. Hugely under estimated   location for a city break.

Hobie, Harmander and Dave: Great consistency for that alone you deserve a name check.

Andrew: I'm reading the middle ground thread, I may even join in.

Nell: Hopefully you'll drop by with an end of year update.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the support and good wishes.
    What a great day to run a marathon! Not fully recovered (Had to keep reminding myself that two weeks earlier I was in a sorry state, in hospital, on a drip.) and an un-co-operative hotel breakfast time resulted in a six minute 'comfort stop' just after 10k. So, a quick change of mind-set, and set about enjoying the rest of the run. Really enjoyed the first half but found the second half a bit of a challenge with the route taking some odd twists and turns, well out of town. Finished in 4:30 (chip) although the results only show Gun times at the moment (4:33). Placing me 1997 out of 2407, and 3rd out of 9 in the M70 (oldest) category. It's been a good day. Happy.
  • That's brilliant, MrM2 - that's a great time!

• Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hey all,
    It sure is a great time MrM2 - sterling work! Nice report as well ... the phrase 'comfort stop' says it all without saying ;)
    Glad to hear the cold has left your system Cal Jones; running 'under the weather' is pretty miserable.
    In my haste of posting on the phone last time, I omitted to say a hearty Congrats to Donnie2 for smashing through the 1000 - excellent year round running for you sir!

It was a frosty one for me this morning (-2 apparently) pavements were sparkling under the light from the lamp-posts. Birds twittered as slowly the sun began to peak over the horizon, meanwhile I was spending my time on the slippery pavements looking like Bambi after a Christmas night out.
    I'd have been better with a pair of skates - but no falls or tweaks to report, a successful (easy pace) run all told. There must be something wrong with me but I think I quite like running in darkness and in sub-zero temperatures - less people to see me wheezing I think ;)
    10 Dec - 6.6m
    YTD: 1079 Miles
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for kind words Cal....great to see you back running. Hope you'll soon be 'Chester-fit' where your results were text-book.
    SM2..thanks for your comments, just so thankful to be enjoying the simplicity of 'one foot in front of the other'. Really didn't know how the marathon would work out; wife was super-anxious! 
    Went out for a four mile, post-marathon, easy/check-out run in Malaga this afternoon. Quads are asking for a longer holiday, so might have to listen..?
    YTD:1460'
  • Thanks MrM2. I think you and your quads deserve a holiday!
    I had to take a full rest yesterday (Monday is usually a rest from running, but I usually do an energetic pilates/HIIT class first thing) because I was wiped out so I might have been a little over-optimistic about my recovery.
    I feel much better today although my troublesome right hip did a good job of disturbing my sleep last night. All the resting I was doing worked wonders for my achilles but has had the opposite effect on the hip so I need to make more effort to get up and stretch it out regularly. I'm a gamer, so I tend to sit in front of my PC for long stretches and forget to move.
    Anyway, I got it rolled and stretched enough to have a decent 6 mile run, which I enjoyed as the sun was shining. I had considered going out in the dark first thing but glad I waited. I don't think I'd have enjoyed frosty pavements.
  • Another 6 done, in the dark this time. Hip a bit better than yesterday so I will have to make a point of keeping up with the stretches. Faster than yesterday too.
    I have entered the Yorkshire marathon. Ey up.
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Hi all, newcomer to this thread here - realise I'm a bit last minute, given it's mid-December, but better late than never, I hope, and will be following next year's too! I joined the 'Thousand Mile Club' during my last mile of the Valencia Marathon a couple of weeks ago - wasn't planned but felt like a nice way to reach the milestone, especially as I got a PB there. I've nothing much planned for the remainder of the year, though I increased my weekly mileage quite significantly during my marathon training plan and feel good for it, so I will be trying not to drop off too much. Mileage YTD is 1019. 

Cal, glad to hear you're recovering - and have another marathon on the horizon - I've heard a lot of positive reports of the Yorkshire Marathon. Would consider it myself but I think I want another foreign one around that time! 

MrM2, congratulations on Malaga - fantastic run by any measure, but even more so considering you were in hospital only a couple of weeks beforehand! Glad you're out of the woods now - I really admire all the excellent running you do. I'm quite interested in this event myself (got a taste for Spanish marathons now, having loved Valencia this year and last, and I read a good report of Malaga on one of the other threads too). Noticed the entries for next year have opened already - only 30 euros at the moment! I'm very tempted...
  • Gipfel, I have my foreign marathon pencilled in (Vienna) - and I'm strongly considering having another crack at Valencia seeing as I didn't get to go this year. Couldn't really justify going abroad for a third one! But the main reason I went with Yorkshire is my friend in Manchester has his birthday that weekend so we're going to go and incorporate some fun stuff as well. We both like fairs and rollercoasters and Hull fair is on down the road (plus there seems to be a lot to do in York itself).
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Gipfel, and thanks for your kind words. I would recommend Malaga for many reasons! Yes, I saw O.O's report on the Sub 3 thread. Exactly...what am I doing over there?! Just looking. Great report. (Garmin gave me 26.5', so that was value for money.)
    Back in UK now; so reminded the quads what 'normal' running conditions are like. They didn't complain, and I'm pleased to say that all the moving parts are good. Today's plan was 10' in 100 mins. Under-estimated the adverse wind strength on the return run, and got back 10 seconds late!
    YTD: 1470'. Happy.
  • Welcome Gipfel. A team mate Ghanaya Talewar did Valencia too (a casual 4:18 he said) he loved it too.
    Good one MrM2
    David Charman, I am not running D2D as I am Race Director.
    Good to hear you are on the road again Cal Jones.
    Congrats Donnie2
    So close AndrewD.
    Since my last posting, I did my usual 10.48 x 3 plus 10.19 (including Parkrun) and a 15.01 LSR after which I had a physio come around to tell me that I may have muscle fatigue (no, never lol) 
    Anyway,
    YTD = 2401.10 miles
  • Another 9.5 so far this week across 2 runs so far. 835.5 YTD 
  • Well done MrM2

Welcome Gipfel.

Took 3 days off at the beginning of the week as I felt a twinge in my hip, but thankfully it went as quick as it came on.

12.12 10.13 miles
    13.12 6.14 miles

YTD 1740.29 miles

• Welcome Gripfel, and congrats on your marathon PB in Valencia, I watched it on line & it looks like a great event...bit flatter & drier than I'm used to.

Couple of runs for me (mostly up hill) but starting to feel good again as I was feeling a bit bleugh about getting out recently...getting through a lot of head torch batteries.

1396 miles YTD & planning to burst the 1400 bubble today.

Awesome running by everyone else by the way.

• Did 12.75 miles (uphill) training run in the bitter cold.
    YTD = 2413.85 miles
    Also got a pacer place at the Big Half next year 
  • Ooh nice, Harmander - what pace? I'm in for that one (hopefully we won't get the Beast from the East next year! I did the inaugural and then got home to find I couldn't have a nice hot bath because my area was one of those hit by all the water mains bursting, so I had no water for three days).
    Rest day yesterday (not that it was actually rest - I did a yoga class and then took a visiting American friend around the west end, so I notched up 10,000 steps just doing that). A chilly 4 this morning. I'm doing my club's track 5K meet tomorrow so I wasn't about to wear myself out.
  • Ytd: 1030.6

Good to have some new posters, always at its best when the thread is moving. 

Nice to see the Yorkshire marathon getting a mention. I'm in for October which will be my fifth time there. Happy to share experiences of the event. I've many good things to say about it, scores well on my card. 

Could be a cold parkrun tomorrow. 
  • Afternoon,

A warm welcome to Gipfel, Great to see the thread moving along so quickly.

Steve, Glad to read you are back up and running, and nice profile picture, love the bling.

Cal, Nice mileage total and sure you will hit the 1500 by the end of the year.

MrM2, Great run in Malaga Sir, what a result, you must be very happy with that. Nice 10 miles in 100 minutes + 10 Seconds :D too!

Harmander, Hope you enjoy race director duties, and it is not to cold.

I had a reasonable weeks training, a couple of longer runs, a hill interval session and a splash in the pool.

10.12.18 - 6.25
    11.12.18 - 12.5
    13.12.18 - 6.25
    14.12.18 - 8 (Nippy today)

YTD = 1224.45

I was hoping to get to 1362.40 (equivalent to a marathon a week), however don't think I am going to make that, but still 17 days, if not always next year!

Well done everyone.
  • 6.5 for me tonight. 842 YTD.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dubai, glad that all is well after just three days...heat treatment? But seriously, I don't know how you keep up your running in that climate.
    Thanks Harmander, So when do your muscles recover? You don't seem to give them many days off. (I hope the physio didn't take too long, or charge too much for that assessment!)
    Thanks David C, Yes, really enjoyed the Malaga sunshine (sorry). A bit nippy here today, but couldn't resist a gentle run into Bournemouth Gdns, to see the lights. So 9' bringing YTD:1479'. Happy running everyone.
  • Track 5K today. I didn't manage a sub-25 like I wanted but I suppose I have been ill, and the main thing is  I didn't finish last. So there's that. Good luck to anyone racing tomorrow.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Good running everyone, esp MrM2 marathon's time, that's a v comfortable GFA time by anyones standards

Just crept over the 900 mark, but with only 2 weeks to go, think anything over 950 will about the best I can hope for. But got the Buntingford 10miler on the 30th, so at least should end the year with a nice run!

Hope to have a better year next year, no ops and no 6week recoveries, but...

YTD      906.16