My Last Run

Comments

• I have to admit, Will, the first time I did a 20 I spent the last couple of miles cursing and swearing. Kind of used to it now though! Good luck.

6 miles today at a back-to-normal pace. I waited for the rain to stop which took until midday, and then it started again as I got to 4 miles and then turned into hail. Bloody stang, too! Naturally, the sun came out just as I reached home. Typical.
  • Parkrun for me yesterday + a couple of miles there and back. It was very windy, but fortunately the headwind was on the downhill stretch. I didn't push too hard as am saving my legs, finishing in 25:24. My form definitely feels better having done a bit of core work - yoga and stretches. Now off to timekeep at Junior Parkrun. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • No parkrun for me yesterday as I was timekeeper, but I did manage my first hot inferno pilates class since my cold. Not too sore today either, which is a surprise. I got out early for a 10 miler and it felt pretty decent. I wish Valencia had been this weekend - I'd have been good to go. Ah well.
  • Windy 11 miles this morning on tired legs.  Was very hungry by around 8 miles as I was out pre breakfast. 

First attempt at 200m intervalls yesterday - not particular accurate though as I measured out a flat bit of firm and mostly puddle free field track by GPS so ran from that bit of darker mud in the middle of the path to that oak tree sticking out of the hedge and jogged back.  2 sets of 5 x with 4 minutes pootle between.  Pretty tired afterwards but not exhausted so I guess I got it more or less right. 
  • Good double figure mileage, Cal and Hazelnut. 

My new Sauconys arrived (Triumph ISO 4s) and so I tested them out over 5.5 slowish miles. As always, the first run in new shoes was an absolute pleasure. The weather is looking dry for the rest of the week too, so I should be able to use them on the Breckland trails on Saturday. It's not often you need trail shoes as the course hardly ever gets too boggy, being based on dry, sandy heathland and pine forest. All felt good, so I shall put my feet up for a few days and just have a little stretch out on Thursday,  before Saturday's 20 miles. Looking forward to the challenge.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • I was pretty wiped out after the 10 on Sunday so I don't think I was quite as over the cold as I thought. But I got a decent 6 miler done today, despite a very growly hip (had to spend a lot of time rolling and stretching before I went, but it was OK during the run).
    Lovely bright sunshine today, but cold, so it was hat, gloves and sunglasses.
  • Another 6 miles, this time in the dark (I had to fit it in, plus breakfast, before a 10am pilates class). Hip less horrible today. Achilles starting to get grumbly again, though. Faster pace than yesterday, which is unusual for me as I tend to be a bit slower first thing in the morning.
    Not as many Christmas lights to look at as I'd hoped - that's one of the nice things about running in the dark at this time of year. I'm sure it'll pick up in a week or so.
  • New shoes sounds nice Will.  I'm almost jealous of your 20 miler at the weekend - sort of thing I would enjoy. 

Good the hip is a bit better today Cal but not so good on the Achilles.  Well done for getting out early.

Rest day for me on Monday - though I did do some core exercices - trying to make a habit of it again though I am very lazy in that area. 

Yesterday evening the standard Tuesday trot.  Gentle pace as a former group member who moved away a couple of years ago was in the area and came out with us again so there was a lot to catch up on.  Cold evening but some stars and plenty of lights to look at.   A couple of the villages here put on advent calendars in the sense of a number of houses put up an appropriate number and decorate it in some way - might be an idea for a run - go and look for each number.  Festive orienteering maybe.
  • We've got 450 lights outside our house, Cal. Come and have a jog over this way :) hope the niggles bugger off.

I'm trying to be disciplined in getting more core work done too, Hazelnut. I seem to get it done if I'm having an easy running week, but definitely neglect it when I'm on high mileage.

3 steady miles in the cemetery for me this morning, with some easy little strides thrown in. Enjoying the anticipation of my race on Saturday and planning on a nice steady and even pace to get me through the extra miles and over the finish line. Finishing is my aim. 3 and half hours would be a pleasing time for the 20 miles.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Well done Will - is it an off road 20? My last 21er was just over 3 and a half but that was mostly pavements with about 6 miles on Wimbledon Common trails so I think that's manageable for you.
    Hazelnut, advent villages sound like a lovely idea!
    Oh and I've entered Yorkshire Marathon. It ties in with my friend's birthday so I'll do my race and we can do some fun stuff too if I have any energy left!
  • Thanks Hazel and Will, I picked up a very slight muscle strain after a 10k on Tuesday last week so had a few days off after that which cleared it up ok and then went out for a half yesterday but it resulted in another problem. Somehow during the run I managed to bruise my lower shin just about where the tongue of my shoe rubs against my leg as I run, in response I've decided to shelve any more runs until the day of the marathon on the 23rd. It should clear up by Sunday or Monday as it's only a minor bruise but I'm more concerned about how it happened and it'll happen again on race day. Maybe I did my laces up too tight or something but whatever it is I just hope I can be on the start line next week, especially as I had to dns last year.
  • Good luck for Saturday Will. 

Nice for you to have another marathon to look forward to Cal.  Next autumn isn't it?

Ouch to the shoe rubbing Matt.  I would check those laces.  I hope that you can race next week.

I have a similar problem at the moment but on the top of my foot.  Almost certainly bad lacing (too tight) and maybe also a fold in the tongue of the shoe during a run last weekend.  Nasty little sore spot with some minor swelling to the whole forefoot.  Improving rapidly though and fortunately if I am careful with my shoes and the lacing I can run on it without much discomfort at all.

Did a pretty intense run yesterday - warm up with 2 sets of drills and a stride then 7 x 3 minutes hill at 5k effort with jog recoveries followed by a cooldown.   First time I've tried that session.  First rep was a shock to the system but I settled in nicely as of that and completed the session in good style with just a few metres variation on how far I managed up the hill in the 3 minutes.  Good conditions for it - temps around freezing, sunny and little wind.  I wore a jacket for the warm up and the cool down but dumped it and gloves and hat in a convenient tree whilst doing the reps up and down the same hill.
  • Thanks Hazel, I'm less inclined to think it's a laces thing but it might just be a muscle strain so slight that I was unaware of it but which became stressed by a 13 mile run. I was out in my work shoes today and felt nothing whatsoever but when I got home and tried my trainers on it was clear that it hasn't healed, if only it was the other way around!

Still got ten days to heal so a dns is unlikely at the moment.
  • No Nikes for me I'm afraid...

Then speedy healing Matt.

Just short of 9 miles for me yesterday.  Legs weren't too bad following the hill work of the day before but I kept the pace down and concentrated on maintaining a steady effort.  
  • I popped into Nike Town yesterday when I was showing an American friend around the west end, just so I could fondle some Vaporflys...but I've just bought two pair of shoes so I wasn't about to give into temptation. :D
    4 miles today in the cold. Saw a council worker putting a dead fox into a bin bag.
    5K tomorrow - I really hope the track isn't slippery because I don't have any spikes.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for the good luck wishes, folks. Currently loading some carbs in the form of my Dad's banana bread. Poor old fox, Cal. Good luck for your 5K. 
    My 20 is a trail race, Cal. I did the HM version last year, covered in tinsel and baubles and it was a really nice event. It's through forest and heathland on the Norfolk/Suffolk border. The trails should be quite firm as it's been dry here. The forecast is a max temperature of 2C so will have to wrap up a bit. It's straight in the car afterwards and down to Teddington for the Welsh family Christmas thing. Think I might whiff a bit by then!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Good luck Wil!
    I did my track race and god it was cold, but at least it wasn't icy. Unfortunately, after a fast first mile, I couldn't sustain my pace so I was well outside 25 minutes, but at least I didn't finish last. I can't really be disappointed seeing as I've been ill, but I've done quite a few faster parkruns. Still, I enjoyed the morning and drank rather a lot of mulled wine (probably the best part!)
  • On the first day of Christmas, on my run did I see...
    Five golden arches
    Four foxes trotting
    Three Boris buses
    Two men smoking joints
    And one majestic heron in a pond.

13.2 miles done, mostly in the dark, with quite a lot of grumbling from various body parts, but hey, it's done now and I can relax.

• :D Cal.  Well done on your track 5k.  Hmm to the mulled wine!

Hope the 20 miles went well Will and you are enjoying Wales in the meantime.

I'm trying to motivate myself right now to go out and do a 12 miler - in slush and freezing fog - nice!

Last run was Friday evening in the dark including 8 x short hill sprints and 8 x strides.  Tried to concentrate on good running form for both.    Out on the snow shoes for the first time this winter season yesterday so missed a short recovery - it won't matter. 
    edited December 2018
    Good efforts, Cal and Hazelnut. I definitely prefer winter to summer running, but no snow shoes required in Norfolk just yet!

Well, Saturday went very well for me and I've just done 2.5 recovery miles, which have eased the aches from my longest run to date.

It was 1C at the start line, with a bitter wind bringing the chill factor much lower, but I wrapped up well with my thickest wooly hat and a Buff round my neck. My wife, kids and Dad all got up at the crack of dawn and braved the Arctic conditions to support me, the thought of which helped me battle through some of the tough bits. I was worried for the first couple of miles as both calves were really achey and not very responsive, but luckily it seemed that was just the fact they had frozen up whilst I was hanging around waiting for the start gun. After 2 miles they started behaving and I got into a nice steady stride. The forest bits were nice and sheltered, so I enjoyed those sections. Spent some time looking for birds but they were all huddled away out of sight. Some of the open heathland stretches were pretty raw, like being in a Siberian wind tunnel, but it all added to the challenge. There were 3 loops which all went past the start line again and Dad and my boy were there to high five me - a real boost! I took it a mile at a time and fuelled amply with gels, jelly beans and my power balls. Miles 14-17 hurt a bit, but I just kept it steady and found the last few miles no problem at all. In fact, I managed to do the final mile at almost HM pace and crossed the finish in 3hrs 30mins 56secs - very pleasing as the course ended up being 20.71 miles in total. Average pace was 10:11 min/mi so spot on for my marathon targets. I loved every second :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Super!  Well done Will.  Getting your first 20 miler done in good style is a great confidence booster.

I did do my 12 miler yesterday (well it was 11,98 miles - oops - I ran out of road).  As expected it was pretty soggy underfoot and I nearly slipped over twice but managed to catch myself in time.  Despite the tiring outing the day before the legs felt okay and I put in a few miles at just slower than MP on average towards the end of the run and could probably have done a few more.   One more decent week of training planned then a cut back week for Christmas week.
  • Brilliant, Will! That's incredibly encouraging since the conditions were tougher than your marathon should be (which one are you doing, again?) Amazing support from your family, too - a lot of people wouldn't want to go out and stand in the cold for over three hours.

Hazelnut, do you recommend P&D? I know a lot of people like it and I have the book but can't help thinking it's designed for younger, quicker-recovering people than I. But since a sub-4 is on the horizon (if not Spring, then hopefully Autumn) I'm thinking about it. I'd have to modify it a bit as I am an avid parkrunner and I never run those things at an easy pace, but then I'm fairly used to doing a parkrun followed by a long run on the Sunday.

Anyway, a 6 mile progression run today (actually 4 miles progression with a 1 mile warm-up and cool-down). Aim for miles 3-5 were Chester pace, next marathon pace, sub-4 pace, and I nailed the Chester pace but was slightly too fast on the other two. Certainly felt like hard work so I obviously have some work to do if I want to hold those paces for 26 miles. At least my niggles didn't bother me too much.
  • 10 miles in the dark, early this morning. Saw a fox using a zebra crossing.
    Rolled my ankle one mile from home. Hopped, swore, leaned on a wall then continued. Not the first time I've done this exact thing so hopefully it won't impede my running too much.
  • Good luck for your race Matt.

I hope you are recovering well Will.

I hope your ankle isn't too bad Cal.

I got an almost 8 minute PB off P&D so it did me some good.  I've done 2 cycles of it in the meantime one with the 18 week plan for up to 55 miles and one with the 12 week up to 55 miles.  I found the 18 week one too long for me at the time and the 12 week more or less ideal.  The plans are tough with the LT runs, long runs with big MP chunks and the intervalls but they do build over time.  I found one of the key things was to make sure I ran the easier runs easy.

I'm not so young myself at 44 (nearly 45) but could cope with the recovery schedule ok - my recovery powers seemed to improve over the duration of the plan.   If you have enough time you could put in a few extra recovery days as needed. 

Regarding parkruns: the plans do include a few tune-up races followed by long runs - maybe you could do these via the parkruns although 5k is a bit short. 

What has your mileage been like in the last few months?  If I remember correctly you had been putting in some 40 + weeks fairly regularly so the mileage wouldn't be a huge shock.   A significantly increased mileage + some of the harder sessions + your niggles could be a bad combination.   

For me a couple of crappy pre Christmas days (work / life in general) but I'm still out and about running. 
    Short recovery on Monday because I felt like it.  The last 2018 group trot yesterday evening on icy roads.  We were joined by a new guy so the pace was gentle to make sure he could keep up okay which he did.
  • Hope your ankle is OK, Cal. Nice fox sighting - he/she was obviously a wise one. My marathon debut will be Manchester,  one you know well.

Glad you're getting out and about, Hazlenut, and I hope things perk up. It's an up and down business this life lark. P + D sounds like something perhaps for when I've done a couple of 26ers!

I've gone down with my usual post-race cold so have only had that one short recovery. My legs are feeling fine though, which I am surprised and pleased about. Christmas shopping with Mrs Will today went surprisingly well too and it's nice to all be on holiday now. The cold feels like it is fading away now so hoping to get out for a decent run tomorrow. Trying, not too successfully,  to stick to healthy foods to keep my weight in check. Well, it is nearly Christmas! Happy running all :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Ah yes, you did say, Will. Good choice. Quite sorry I'm not doing it next year.
    Hazelnut - I peaked at 56 miles before Chester so I'm OK with the mileage - it's more the speed work that concerns me. Not just the injury potential, but I don't really like to run anything less than mile intervals, and that's an every-other-mile-fast kind of deal. I'm borderline autistic and partial mile splits with rest intervals don't gel well with me. I don't like to stop during a run. If I do stop, then I have to reset my watch and do the next section as a new run.
  • Speed work always concerns me, Cal! I think it's called laziness in my case :)
    Still have the dregs of a cold but put in a 5K at HM pace in the cemetery this morning. It cleared my chest a bit and I have felt better since. Some noisy Jays about this morning and I chased a few squirrels too. Managed to read a few gravestones too, which showed me I wasn't going too fast. Went to see Santa this avo.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Hmm - you would need to replace the intervall training with an alternative then Cal.  The only session with mile intervalls is the 3 x 1 mile towards the end of the plan with recoveries of 50-90% of the rep time.  The recoveries aren't supposed to be a standing rest but keep moving at a slow jog.  The other sessions range between 600m and 1200 reps with the 50-90 % recoveries.  The 3 x 1 mile session is very tough I found - one of the terrible three (the other two being a 7 mile LT run and a very long MP section in a long run).  All of those need building up to.

I would try to mix the healthy with the unhealthy snacks Will so you don't end up feeling you are missing out on something.   Enjoy your Christmas holidays and I hope your cold shifts quickly.  Good that you have recovered well from the 20 miler.

Talking about intervalls:  I did my first set of longer intervalls in a while yesterday.  6 x 1k with 2:30 jogged recoveries.  Did a 2 and a bit mile warmup with some drills which I have made a habit of as it helps to prepare my mind for the coming effort.  The reps were a few seconds off the pace I would have liked them to have been but I have recalculated my training paces based on my 10k and mara PBs from this year and it might take a bit of work to get the pacing sorted.  I always find it very hard to run at a pace less than my 10k race pace in training anyway.
  • That sounds hard, Hazelnut. I find it hard to get up to 10K pace in training - even HM pace feels ridiculously hard work, given I can actually run at that pace for close to two hours during a race.
    I did a windy 4 miler (external wind, not the other kind) to test my ankle. Ankle niggled a bit but I can manage on it. I did the exact same thing during the summer so I'm not too concerned at this point.
    I did make the rookie mistake of forgetting to plait my hair and just went out with it in a ponytail - not a great move as the wind kept blowing it into my eyes and mouth. Not cool.
    edited December 2018
    Bad plait faux pas, Cal ;)

I too struggle to push my pace in training, which is why I like Parkrun so much. When I do make the effort to 'surge' I really like the sfter-high. It's just a matter of getting my legs and heart going in the first place.

A very rainy 5K in the cemetery again for me this morning. A bit slower than yesterday as was coughing up a lot of chesty stuff. Did feel better again once I had finished though, so hopefully that's the last of the cold. Mrs Will has gone away for a Welsh night of drinking so it's me, the kids and the kitten. Mince pie baking has resulted in an apocalyptic kitchen.
    I run, therefore I am.