Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I spend 99% of my time with no plan.

I did one sub 30 minute lap, just for a bit of a laugh, no way I could have done more than 2 or 3. It depends how many are in your team. I did 9 laps so ended up averaging around 6:3x pace. It does have some hills and a few tight bits so sub 6 is pretty sharp.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

We'll have 8, I think you were in the smaller team? Was that as small as 5? or 6?

It's less than 5miles though isn't it? As a full 5miles offroad in the dark sounds more a case of getting round without tripping over, rather than any time element!

• Matt - Thats a great 5k especially as you were aiming for Sub 20. 

I'd agree with Reg in saying I enyoy being set my session's. At the moment I also just enjoy targeting races and going for them. There's probably not as many race opportunities available up here though!

Did my session of 5 x 4mins off 1 min recovery yesterday. Was in Stratford so used the flat parkrun course .Was still wet and windy though. Averaged 6.03, 5.59, 5.58, 6.05 so almost nailed the progression I was supposed to. Probably the last session of the year so a good place to be building from
  • We had 5 until 2am and then went down to 4.

It measured around 4.85 I think. I was no slower in the dark. Biggest problem with 8 is getting bored between laps, won't be so bad if you're all doing 30 minute laps though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The fast lads may well be. We'll see what i,m producing!
  • Matt - Great 5k mate, course looked very twisty too, so that's pretty decent. PeteM - You know it makes sense :) although I could have probably done without the 4 pints Friday night before the xc the day after.

Interesting read Ric - I suppose some of Harry Wilson's coaching might seep through to me, seeing as Harry coached Tony too!

As you could imagine, the South of Thames senior 7.5m xc on Saturday was very wet and cold. Slightly different course to 2 years ago, with a very twisty small lap then 2 big ones of Beckenham Palace park. Right from the off this felt much different to the week before at Oxford - slightly heavier ground and it feels much harder. Not enjoying the first small ;ap, but make my way through a bit as we start the first big lap. Manage to get my way round the first lap, hoping for a 2nd wind to come. Its a mixed race, so I'm struggling a bit and now have Lucy Reid of Tonbridge just behind me (she was 6th in the Mccain challenge race at MK). So, as we all do, tried to get my head down and get away from her!

Srtating the hill on the 2nd lap - and the Achilles I've been getting a bit is starting to hurt. Consider pulling out, but persuaded to carry on. Into the last half mile, I have now got a stitch to contend with also, plus battling with my team mate and Julian from Tonbridge who I beat at Oxford. So now I'm running in pain and virtyally with one hand as I'm jabbing my stomach to try and de-stitch! Got rid of those two, go past Pete L from Kent in the final 100m...but then he comes past me again - which we agree in the bar after was the worst sprint finish ever..

Anyway - we got bronze team prize at least. Bit more worrying is the Achilles - didn't run yesterday, doing heel drops etc to see if I can get rid of it.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Good race Simon considering.

Is it the Achilles hurting or is it where it the tendon joins the ankle?

Either way, it's best to avoid straining it for a couple of days simply to give it a chance to cool down. 

This is now another definition of hard training. Doing nothing when you want to get going and have the energy to do so. 

No short cuts with these damn things. Take the hit (time) and change the training program to repair and rehab.

Think long term.

On reflection. It's better if you can do as much as you can to immobilise the issue. Chronic cases have ended with feet in plaster casts or surgery.

🙂

• Cheers Ric, it's more higher up closer to the calf muscle which is supposed to be better. Felt not too bad on the way home and will be taking it easier this week. Most of latest thinking is about doing an active recovery anyway so light running and some excercises will hopefully sort it.  
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the recovery Simon.

🙂

• That's annoying about the achliles Simon, I've had achilles issues for a couple of months, i've actually found a little self-massage has appeared to have helped, just finger and thumb pinching the achilles and moving them like I was clicking my fingers. Higher up is supposed to better due to there being more blood flow to help healing.

Two hours on the Wattbike yesterday, takes some mental power for me to sit on it for that long.
  • My legs seem to be coming back to me for the first time since mid-June when something went odd in my leg and I had to pull up when there was a ping and walk back home a mile into a training run. By the autumn it seemed to have healed and I was getting back when I turned my ankle at the start of November. I have since got in 4 solid weeks of 40 miles (mainly offroad).

Saturday I did my local parkrun (Wycombe Rye). I have been gradually building the pace back up but still running cautiously so the runs have been "progressive" which means I have started conservatively from the second row and got caught up behind a load of runners over the first narrow km and then spent the next 4 kms slowly passing people. The difficulty with passing people is you feel you are doing well but, in reality, you are just passing 25 minute parkrunners on the way to clock something under 23 minutes. On Saturday, my warmup (a couple of miles down Marlow Hill) felt very easy and controlled and I set off from the front row with the intent of getting a clear run. There was a local athletic club out in force with a load of youngsters who had started way too fast so I had a good set of targets lined up in front of me. I passed the first at about 1.5km, then the next pair just about halfway. The first mile was sub-7 minutes (6:41) and I was pleased when the second (6:53) came out as that has the down and back up the steps segment in it. Just the last mile to keep tidy and all was good. A few passed me towards the end (including one of the youngsters) but 21:02 for me was good. Had I known it was so close to 21 I could have found those few seconds.

It is odd but the parkrun I did at Black Park on 1st January as part of a double in 19:55 will most likely be my only sub-20 this year. Thankfully I am not having to chase that target now but need to get one knocked off early in 2019.

Even an air shot from the photographer

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Healing thoughts to the niggle gang!
    Phil you need to get a Battersea Park or two in next year,  that'll see your 5k realised! Hope you beat that kid in the pic too.

Base started last week then, 65.5mile week featuring a 15miler, 6m steady, and 2x2m steady, 1m TMP (not gonna pander to anyone calling it anything different anymore ;) )

Today was a 2.5mile warmup, 3miles steady, 3mile TMP.
    Pretty windy in places , but had plotted it so that the steady took me to the cusp of the Jubilee River, and as per Reg advice, doing it there.

Felt fairly hard, and after a 6.08 first TMP mile, having come into a an open plain section, I completely turned round, and found it a bit less taxing back for a 6.01.

Half mile out and then back on another bit, making it another 6.01

for a 6.08, 6.01, 6.01
    Felt pleasing for a rare out on the roads tempo, especially in the wind.
    Hard work though, so there's plenty of work ahead before the straight 6-7mile TMP runs come out.
    Will probably start getting easier when there's a faster session later in the week to differentiate.
  • Hopefully that will ease quickly Simon.

Good to hear you are back getting the miles in Mr J. We'll have to go for a social run sometime soon. 

On my LSR on Sunday, a young lad appeared out of the woods in front of me and headed at pace on a long downhill section. I (of course) put the pedal down and tried to catch him. He was aware of the chase and looked over his shoulder a couple of times.  I didn't make any headway in closing the gap for about half a mile until a slippery bit of downhill (I think he had road shoes on) and then shortly after I had to turn off before I could catch him on the next uphill.  Courtesy of Strava flybys, it turns out he is a young Wycombe Phoenix runner with a 17:10 at the Rye parkrun, so don't feel so bad about not catching him now!

7.7M dark, hilly off-road this morning. Would be a double day, but Christmas do tonight!

• Good to hear you're making headway Phil.

Chasing young boys in the wood Bus, only on a running forum does that not sound weird.

Sounds like a good run along the river SG, I use to enjoy running along there. Having dropped off my youngest at nursey I went to the gym to start my run from somewhere different. Just over 8 easy miles followed by hill sprints and strides. Body is starting to get used these short bursts now.
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Good stuff Bus, you were right to put the pedal down - I like racing cyclists (not proper cyclists, town cyclists) up steady hills, always fun. Good session SG and that PR sounds promising PMJ - Got a good 'air shot' of me going over Tower Bridge during LM in 2004 - y the time I had got down the embankment I was dragging my sorry arse along the road. Nice CB10 top - mine is probably in landfill near Berlin :)

Thanks for the good wishes on the niggle - Reg - the achilles seems to be responding already, today to the station was better than yesterday - but that may just be another day further away from the XC.

• The Bus said:

Good to hear you are back getting the miles in Mr J. We'll have to go for a social run sometime soon. 

I'll be getting the Christmas beer in soon and you are welcome to pass comment. Probably be Rebellion Winter Royal.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Nice one Bus.

But let us now see how this was viewed from the perspective of the lad you so clearly enjoyed 'yourself' chasing.

"And there I was minding my own business, when having just come out of the woods by xxxx, I noticed this old guy up the path.

I carried on but something made me look around. "Fuck's sake, he's only trying to catch me up. What the fuck does he want?"

Did you know who it was?

No idea. But he looked fucking desperate, and I wasn't prepared to find out. Fucks sake!

So what did you do?

I sped up enough to keep him away. I looked back a couple of times to make sure of that, but eventually he gave up and fucked off somewhere else. Phew!

Did you get a good look at him?

Yea, I think I've seen him before somewhere. Not sure where, but I'll let the guys know to watch out for the creep. He's an old bloke, looks about 90. Christ! what a saddo.

Fucking weidos. Why the fuck don't they mind their own fucking business?

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Up there with any of your utterly maddest posts ric.  :D:D
    I had to check that wasn't a 3am job.

Apologies to anyone offended by rics appalling language :'(

Medium long this morn, 10.   7.16. 
    34 this week so far, look forward to a nice rest of day relaxing.
  • Got an email this morning saying the Cabbage Patch 10 has ended and there will be no more editions.  Sad that payments to the council have ended such a great event when all councils are being urged to encourage active lifestyles.

Unfortunately, since 2016 Richmond Council (LBRuT) have progressively introduced charges that had not been within their financial management protocol in the events previous 34 year period. These new charges are for the use of the public roads, footpaths and towpaths of the course used for our annual 10 mile charity based run.
  • This isn't breakfast television SG, you don't need to apologise for industrial language.

I've never understood why people write swear words, with a letter supplanted with a nondescript punctuation mark, seems a bit w*nky to me. If Bus was 90, what would his WAVA be?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep Phil, just saw the Dashers post.
    What a shame! It was the same feeling when it looked like Wokingham half was going the same way, but that's been rescued by a new team.
    This sounds more final though.

Only ever did it twice, and not for about 6 years, but always meant to do it again...

Just shows, don't put off doing stuff you can do now, as you might not get the opportunity for different reasons in the future!
    GSR front end will probably benefit I'd have thought. Will have to get back there, definitely unfinished business from last year!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Feels like I need to Reg, as thread facilitator  :D 

There's one hell of a fan base on this thread I tells ye.
    You might think only about 10 people write regularly, but there's a tonneload of lurkers

And as we haven't for a bit..

Christmas lurker shout out...

Anyone out there wanna say howdy?
  • You may have more luck after Christmas, when the gyms are full.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Got the CP10 email too. Probably my favourite race and definitely fav long one. Done it 7 times in the last 10 years and it always offered the right balance between fun and competitiveness. Great value. When the price started to increase you then got an excellent tech long sleeved shirt, free beer both en route (though never sampled!) and at the end (sampled even pre warm down) and many other goodies. Huge prize money for a local race too, not that I was ever good enough to win any. Also loved the post race vibe in the CP pub and the raffle for some very decent prizes like MTB's that you had to a) have run the race and b) be in the pub to win. Very sorry to see it go and shame on Richmond council. 

Yes not sure I follow that post Ric. Perhaps a bit many expletives hiding the real message which was.. ?

• I suspect that particular young man, being from round these parts, will have been brought up to be more polite and less suspicious of fellow runners being naturally competitive than that Mr F :-) . Besides, I don't look a day over 70 when I'm that far into a long run!

Damn shame about CP10, though I can't help wondering what strategy they tool with LB Richmond's politicians. A historic event like that, with its heart in the community should not have had to make too much of an effort to get the right people on their side to have the road closure charges waived. Same thing happened with Risborough 10k, but turned out to be a communication misunderstanding, but by the time it was sorted out the RO had just given up on the whole idea.

Bit hungover today after my works Christmas dinner last night. On the plus side, the hotel had a gym and I managed to supplement the morning run with a quick blast on a treadmill. Being a TM amateur, it took me a while to get the thing up to speed for a 5k tempo, but still a reasonable workout with 4.5k of the 5k done at 15-16kph for a 20:30 total time.

Mmm - Rebellion :-)

• I also see the Wycombe Half has been rebranded. Next, they will have obstacles and fire pits.

Wycombe Half Marathon becomes The Hell-Fire Half!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    How close does it actually go to the Hell Fire Caves?
    I see Datchet have added the 10k onto the club champs list.

Even that one I'd be wary about. Some offroad hill fest in the middle of July? Sounds like it has the potential to be a right old slog, even with the footy ground finish.
  • Ok I'm a bit behind ...

I've heard a couple of theories/excuses about cross country for lanky folks Reg. I know in my case the poor relative performance on xc is not through lack of practice as I do a lot over hills and mud. So it may just be because I'm chickening out :)  I run pretty high on the forefoot so maybe I'm just not getting a good enough grip.  Anyway the theories are that 1/ that a longer stride length means less overall contact with the stuff that slows you down so lanky folk go quicker or 2/ that accumulated weight of mud on the end of a long lever means more effort required so long stridy people go slower.

I'm also shit in the summer on account of being closer to the sun ;)

The honeymoon phase of the plan seems to be going well for you so far, groin niggle aside. I love doing all the strides and hill sprints. It's about the only fast stuff I do outside of races - but always really seems to prime me.

Congratulations on Telford Dean. That's an amazing time. Maybe don't go recalibrating the treadmill after all ! 

Well done on the cross country medals Simon and cranking out a session post race. Sorry to hear about the Achilles. I had a long bout of tendonitis and your approach matches the recovery plan from my physio - active recovery to 4/10 pain level, and match with progressive strength work on the muscles the tendon attaches to. Fairly sure all the cross country, with the low energy return from the ground and the flat unresponsive shoes, tends to load the muscles around the calves so much more, and if there is insufficient strength in there, the tendons tend to take the brunt of the loading.

This is an immense base period Ric. Fingers crossed you come out the other side ok and get to exploit it.

Hard luck on the parkrun StevieWh, but it will come back I'm sure. Best of luck getting back into it.

Well done on the twisty 5k Matthew !

May leave the year's race efforts at 32, which i'm sure we'd all agree is a fairly substantial monstering.

Perhaps I haven't been working resting hard enough this last year, but will do my best to put that right.

Fixed it for you now ;) Semi-seriously - your base looks like my peak !

I had two rest days last week - I like to take it very easy post race - but managed 50 and a bit easy miles with one progressive effort. I had another rest yesterday after a six day running spell. Back to it today now the sun's out !

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
     :D  Muddy.  You know what I mean though, perhaps a harder build up/race then easy recovery, rather than a lot of medium hards - straight back in.

I can certainly rest hard when needs be. I do like a Sunday afternoon sleep, and some saturdays could rival for a teen for lazyarseness!
  • Having a kid under 10, I look back lovingly on those post LSR sunday naps!

Muddy - To be fair, I suppose we were talking 4/10 pain during the race and after, but it's virtually gone now after 3 days, but with trainers on. I'll keep on with the heel drops to make sure it goes properly. It will definitely be the shoes that have done it.

Shame about the CB10 - Money grabbing local bloody councils again. As for the Wycombe half..a 'rolls eyes' emoji fits the bill there.