Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    TR-I've done 4 this year's currently have 4 planned in for next year so similar.
    Shades-Sorry about the DNS,hopefully you recover soon the get stuck in to training.
    Big G-Great run at plym,well done and a good way to end the year.
    Having done no runs at less than MP+1 min since October(apart from my half) thought I'd do my hilly loop and see how it was.It was 8 miles,4.5 were up and round a hill and the hard effort,each loop is about 1.5 miles and 150ft of elevation.The fastest I've managed the efforts before was at 7:43 pace in october,today I managed 7:28 so well ahead,really happy with that.
  • Big G- good running in your marathon.
    Shades- we got some snow in the early hours of Saturday morning however it was followed by rain so it all disappeared quite quickly. There has been frost over the past couple of days so came across some tricky surfaces today during my 6 mile run.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks. So its mixed, some of you run less maras but targer them a bit more, but its also possible to target a few amongst a lot more. i guess that after a while ypu can tick off regular marathons if you eaae back slightly and they become routine like training long runs.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    TR, I think for me, now that I'm ticking them off more often, I'm basically more confident in the distance.  Also, it does mean that if I do have a bad race (or string of races!), there's another one not too far away that I can have a crack at instead.  I used to get quite nervous when I targeted just one or two a year, so having a few more to go at kind of helps me in that way too, as I don't put as much pressure on myself in the lead up to a specific event.

I got a 3-mile recovery run in this evening, which is a bit delayed compared to normal, but it was nice to get out.  There was a bit of a breeze, but it was surprisingly mild as I was totally fine in just a T-Shirt and shorts.

We're off to NL tomorrow for Xmas, so a long drive tomorrow via Dover-Dunkirk.  We're stopping in Ghent to break the journey up and then staying with friends/family for the rest of the time we're there.  I have a few runs lined up, and it's pancake flat there.  I remember doing something like a 6-mile run once, with about 10ft of elevation!
  • Evening folks...
    been a little while since i posted, the past few weeks have been fairly busy at work with Christmas just around the corner.

as some of you might remember i mentioned that i was going to take part in a research project looking at the effects that ultra running has on an athletes body and mind.. the aim of the research is to help coaches with training and recovery plans that suit individual athletes.

on the 4th December i had my first session which involved a VO2max test, a lactate threshold test and a submaximal run test. The data that I received was very interesting. My VO2max is 62 and my lactate threshold was 6:22/mile @175 bpm. The submaximal run test was done at the end of the session where i had to cover my watch and the researcher would start me running for 3 min at a very easy pace about 60%, she would blow a whistle and I’d run for another 3 min at a pace which i could still talk, about 70% the the last 3 min would be at 80%. At the end i would stop and stand still for a min while my HR was monitored..These tests were to be done at home too, on specific days and the data emailed to the researcher.

the second visit was on the 12th and this involved blood being drawn, a muscle oxygenation test, a submaximal run test and more bloods. This is to be repeated on the 18th (48hrs post ultra) and again on the 21st , 5 days post ultra..

yesterday I ran The SVN Festive Frolic challenge. The day started with registration and then i had to have more blood drawn and answer a psychological questionnaire. I started the races which was a lapped event at Samphire Hoe. Each lap was 3.27 miles and i managed to complete 11 laps in 5:44 which gave me the win and a total distance of 36.05 miles (distance PB) The weather was good apart from the brisk chilly wind but i think the cooler weather helped keep my hr down as i averaged 135bpm, so well below my threshold bpm.

had to complete a submaximal run test tonight so recovery run is done..
    Final event this year is on the 28th, The phoenix year end marathon which takes my event total to 17 (11 marathons and 6 ultras) As it stands i might be running one on New Year’s Day but I haven’t decided yet and the rest of the year is already filling up rapidly..

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's great running.   Looks like your Welsh long hilly run is already showing results.

TR - it can be tricky sometimes incorporating marathons into a training period but it can be done.

Big G - that's a long drive, have a good time in NL.

Iain - that's a brilliant end to the year for you, congratulations on the win and a PB too. :)
    Really interesting data, worth taking part in that research, if you paid for those tests it would cost a lot of money.   You now have the data to set yourself a tailored training plan for a 2019 marathon PB.  I guess you'll be aiming at London again.

Back running today :D:D  Just a gentle flat 5 miles, calf is fine.   A bit wild and windy today, tough heading out into the headwind but lovely on the way back when it's behind me.  Nice and mild too and I missed the heavier rain.

I've cancelled the rest of my classes this week just to let the calf heal fully, don't want to tweak it again at circuits tomorrow and Xmas food shop planned instead of Pilates on Thursday.  I did cook my red cabbage yesterday, love red cabbage.
  • Shades - yes it's going to be my last London so it's got to be a big one.. Im planning on running with my mate and we have the same goal of 2:50..
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - your last London?
  • Shades - yeah. Im not planning on applying for another GFA after next year. 5 times will be enough London marathons.. Well that's the plan anyway. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - and then onto your Ironman training perhaps?
  • Good the calf is on the mend, Shades - glad you got out for your run. I guess sometimes the classes we do to help prevent injury aren't always helpful. I noticed my achilles was more sore after I did hot inferno pilates (screw that, I'm just going to refer to it as HIP from now on) yesterday. I'm not sure if it was the glute bridges done on tiptoe or something else. Probably just general calf tightness which those exercises are contributing to. Eh, well.

I did a 6 mile progression today and it went pretty well (this despite me having to talk myself out of the door - it just didn't look very inviting out there). Including warm-up and cool-down my splits were 10:45/10:11/9:29/9:15/8:56/9:58. The middle three were supposed to be Chester pace (close as I averaged 9:31 in Chester), target pace (was actually aiming for around 9:20) and sub-4 pace (a bit quicker than that as well). The 9:15 mile felt pretty hard as I was increasing my pace while going slightly uphill (the previous mile was slightly downhill) so I guess I still have a lot of work to do, fitness-wise.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Good to see you're running again.
    I do feel like the last few weeks is having a benefit,probably because it's been tagged onto chester training.
    Got a solution for my HM,the club run the Monday before it is a negative split run at HM pace so will try and make that into 13.1,or speak to one of the guys and ask them to extend for me.
  • Shades - my IM training has already started so after London I can really ramp things up. 
  • Not had time to catch up, but hope everyone is good. Still running, should be back to 40 mile this week and still doing a 90 minute session on the turbo trainer. Long runs back up to 13 miles.
  • Ian, seems you're training really well, hopefully will reflect in even more PB's next year.

Big G enjoy NL, safe journey and hope you come back with running mojo ready to go next year.

steven, noticed a bit of ice in the mornings, the forecast seems quite mild so hopefully not too much ice/ frost about.

Iain that research sounds like a great way to get those tests done, also well done on 36 miles in the 6 hours limit nice way to end the year with a win.

shades glad the calf is behaving!

cal, not too far from the perfect progression run (assume you meant the final mile as 8.58 and not 9.58?) I love it when the final mile feels great.  I like to get the final 2 miles around hmp and 10k pace.

Yesterday was a rest day as foot and hip were a bit angry, managed a steady 5 miles today without any complications and a bit of s&c in the gym.  Tomorrow will probably do more gym work as don't want to aggravate anything too much.

Tonight I have a 1/16 chance of a VLM spot as I volunteered with Ware Joggers at this years marathon before I was a member.  Elle also has a chance too so a 1/8 chance it's going to our house which are nice odds but would put pressure on Elle if she gets the place.  

• Rob - last mile was a cool-down (probably should have been slower but that felt slow enough after the one before it).
    Good luck in the draw - I wasn't lucky in my club's one but at least they have rules about it only being open to people who hadn't got in the year before, so it's better odds than the main draw for sure.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Iain, great data there.  How are you going to use that to build a plan for the marathon and IM?  Interesting about not going for London after 2019 - is that because you've other marathon events you want to do?

Ian, your training seems to be going brilliantly, which is great news.  Are you going to enter a couple of shorter races in the run up to the Spring marathon?

Robert, best of luck to you and Elle in the club draw.

A very long day and knackered now.  Left home around at 3:30am to catch the 10am ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, which is a 2hr crossing.   Then it's 1.5hrs to Ghent.  I've been to Ghent once before for a day trip many years ago, and it's lovely here this time of year with quite a big Xmas market taking over most of the centre.  Very nice food and great atmosphere, but it's cold!  I've a short run mapped out for the morning, but it very much depends on how I feel after (hopefully) a decent night's sleep.  I'm not setting the alarm so what will be will be!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Good luck with the draw,same as cal I didn't get our place.
    Big G-I'm entering Wilmslow half on March 24th,it's meant to be a fast race,and also the chester 10k on March 10th so hoping for 2 good races there.
    I seem to be in one of those sweet spots at the minute where every run seems pretty easy at a decent pace,long may it last.
  • Big_G - now that I know my thresholds I can structure training on specific days.. I have an app the reads my hr variability via my garmin and it guides me on how to train for the day based on my rhr and other factors. The reason I’m considering not running London after next year is simply the fact I’ve done it 5 times, but I guess I will wait till I’ve run next year and then see how I feel..

the one one bit of data I did get from the tests was my bodies preferred fuel choice. At the slower speeds I burn fat and as I increase the speed, as expected, I start to increase the carb burn and decrease the fat burn but (and this is where it gets interesting) even when I pass threshold pace, I’m still burning 50% fat where most runners would be completely carbs so from a scientific point of view, I’ve got my marathon fuelling spot on..
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Cal - I'm sure our respective classes do us a lot of good but they do produce their own post class twinges. I noticed back in August when I was doing my 3 high mileage weeks and ditched all classes that I only had a bit of general tiredness in my legs, no other twinges anywhere.  Glute bridges on tiptoe always makes my quads ache.  :'(

It's so hard to replicate race pace into a training run, especially on your own in the depths of winter.

Ian - that's a great club session, even if it's 10 miles that'll be long enough to give you a guide to your MP at GC.

Iain - of course, you've already entered an IM for 2019, sorry I'd briefly forgotten.
    That's great data on your fuelling, you knew you had your diet sorted and your race fuelling, as proven by your race results but good to get that confirmed.   Really helpful with getting the IM fuelling right.

One of the guys in my running club is the European Triathlon champion for his age group and I was quizzing him about his fuelling on Saturday night at our Xmas do.  He does Olympic distance and sprint, but has done one IM and occasionally a 70.3.

Steve - well that mileage has crept up nicely.

Robert - any luck in the club draw?

Every other day for your running seems to be the best option to ease yourself back into fitness.

Big G - oh that's a long day with an early start. Hope you're well rested now.

• Woke up early so I did 10 miles in the dark (and rain, at least for the first two miles). Easy pace. It went well enough until I got to mile 9, where I was just starting to open up into my final mile when I rolled my left ankle. Hurt like a mutha. I hopped and swore but got going again and finished the run. I've done this before so I'm not too concerned at this point but I'll have to keep it taped for a while.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - ouch, that hurts, hope it clears up soon

Final marathon list for 2018, unless someone sneaks off for a last minute marathon....86 races between us for the year :o 

• no luck in the club draw, means I can volunteer again next year and be in with a chance for both the volunteers draw and the club EA draw.

Rest day for me today, hip seems sore but not how it was when I injured a few weeks ago so must be fixing.  Foot seems tight.  Just going to do some stretching at home before heading into work.

• Well ran Shadies! Some monster numbers and epeic achievements from all.

I'd give my year 8.5/10 Manchester Marathon and NDW50 results were better than I could imagine which if that was my only target I would have given a 10/10, I then worked hard and came closer to my 9 year old HM pb but September's injury hampered my best chance at Peterborough in October just falling short by 105 seconds.  This injury that I'm hoping to recover from has knocked some of the sparkle off too.

In other news, I have won a prize on twitter, some aftershoz headphones, I won a pair a year or two ago but hardly use them, I know someone from Joggers was looking to get a cheap pair so will probably offer them these.

Also beware if you ever sell anything on ebay, a friend has sold a watch for £330, the buyer had been a member for 5 years and 100% feedback.  They bought and paid for the item using paypal, then asked for my mate to send the package to another address as it was a present for a daughter.

He sent it in good faith, they have contacted paypal, said not received the item and refunded it, mate has appealled but both paypal and ebay having none of it as it wasn't sent to the invoice address.  Seems the legit account had been hacked and despite the messages sent they aren't a binding contract according to t&c
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - shame about the club draw.  But well done on winning the aftershoz headphones.

The scams are now so sophisticated and even careful and savvy folk can easily be duped.   I never use eBay as too high a % of the goods for sale are stolen for my liking and never found anything I've wanted to buy at a better price than I can buy direct from a retailer.  

If I have something I want to get rid of I give it away to either a friend that would want it or to a charity shop.  Only exception is my car which I trade in!   
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Good news on the afteshockz, haven't you won stuff previously?
    Shades-Thats a great amount of races,well done to all.
    As for my year,should be 10/10 but the achilles stops me marking it as that as it's makes me wonder what I could have done.PB's at all distances I've raced.
    5k 19:52 to 18:50
    5M 37:33(2016) to 31:59
    10k 39:57 to 39:15
    HM 1:29:53 to 1:27:43
    Full 3:31:15 to 3:14:35
    All in all a really good year and hopefully with a good training block,next year could be better.

• Shades, I hardly use ebay for the same reasons, plus I got stung a few times when I have sent items so don't bother any more.

Ian I've been fairly lucky with winning stuff for a simple retweet/ share of a post.

Brooks Adrenalines trainers, Asics hat and gloves, couple of running shirts, race entry for Manchester marathon and bib pins, race entry for Hellrunner down south, now 2 pairs of aftershokz.

Elle's not done too badly either asics kayanos, hat and gloves, Westminster 10k,

• Ian, I've had a similar year of improvements, albeit with less impressive times than you. I've made small improvements to 10 mile and half but I'm most happy with a minute off my 5K/parkrun time, 2 minutes off my 10K time and just under 19 minutes off my marathon. I doubt I can improve as much again next year but I guess we'll see!
    So, Valencia aside, a really great year for me.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - from your 2018 race stats it's hard to believe that you've had to deal with that achilles injury for the whole year.  PB's at every distance, brilliant.

Robert - you and Elle have been lucky with your prize wins.   RW used to have several competitions/prize draws a month but since they changed to this new format website and numbers have declined they don't have so much.   I had a few wins then, the best item being a beautiful Gore jacket which I still use.

Cal - that's a great year for you too.  Some significant PB's and still more to come I think.

Had a lovely 6 mile run this morning, good conditions and I was dressed just right, which isn't always easy at this time of year.  Am looking forward to my running over the Xmas period when the traffic will be quieter early in the morning. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, that is a great haul of prizes.  I haven't won anything like that, apart from I got pulled out the hat for a draw at my club, which was a race entry to the value of £75.  I also did an article for Runner's World a couple of years ago and got to keep the Asics shoes they put me in.

Ian, seeing that written out like that really shows what a great year you've had.  Brilliant running, and shows that your training is working really well.

Cal, same for you - getting PBs like that is superb.

Shades, good to see the list set out like that - it's good scanning down and remembering some of the races.  For me, I'd kind of forgotten about Great Welsh.  That was another shocker for me, but that was due to the weather which was pretty bad.  I'm should be doing that one again next year though.

I didn't get to run yesterday in Ghent, and had a lie in instead which was well needed.  Had a good look around Ghent yesterday morning before leaving mid-afternoon to travel to NL to see OH's Aunt, and then travelled on to her parents and arrived fairly late.

I got up this morning and did (almost) 6-miles at a steady pace.  It was quite hard work, even though the pace was easy, but it was nice to get out.  6-miles and 32ft of ascent is pretty hilly for this part of the world!

I do have the option for a couple of 10ks over the next week or so, and I may end up doing one, both or neither I suppose.  There are entries on the day for both, so I'll just see how the time pans out here with other stuff going on.  They're both trail races, but they'll be pretty flat I'd imagine, with no massive hills to test the runners.