Overdone it?

Comments

• macemace ✭✭✭
    DH - i didn't even think about it again until Monday morning as everything seemed fine.

You'd be surprised at what you're capable of. When i first started running properly my target was a sub-4 marathon. At that point i couldn't even imagine running that pace for a one-off mile let alone 26.2

One thing i'm pretty sure about though is that i won't be beating Tigger or DT at London
  • I dunno, Mace - I'm quite slow these days. Let's run together and cross the line #handinhand like (nearly) last time.
  • Well that was tough.  8 x 3min @ 5k pace.  Average of 6:18 for the 8 reps.  My 5k race pace is 06:20 so I'll gladly take that considering it's the first time I've done that session.  Yes DT, I'm still copying you (though I'm nowhere near as fast).  

Work Christmas do tomorrow so probably won't get to run.  Long run on Sat followed by a recovery on Sunday planned.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Here's another for you then David..... Today was 3 x 2 miles off 2 minutes. Plan was to start at HMP then progress so the last set was at 10kp. Lovely crisp and sunny conditions, though a stiff headwind around one side of the race course. Came in 6.23 and 6.24 then 6.11 and 6.19 and finally 6.14 and 6.14.

Decent solid session, particularly quite soon after a race.

15 planned for sunday will give me 48 for week.

• macemace ✭✭✭
    I think I’ll end the week on 5-4-0-0-0-0-0 

Feeling groggy at the moment probably due to one fool in particular insisting on coming into work and coughing/spluttering all over the office. Last 2 nights I’ve been asleep by 8pm, so not feeling it at all. Probably just as well and will give the foot a decent rest before hopefully getting back to it on Monday.

Lit -  :) sounds like an idea  :)
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Nice sessions for the D’s
  • Hello.  I've been plodding on and managed to scrape over 70km this week for the first time since February.  A Christmas parkrun may be in order.  Any suggestions for restoring some bounce to ageing legs?
  • Thanks DT, will give that a go soon.

Mace, there's always another week.  I really didn't want to get out for the long run today.  I've been quite tired from Fridays Christmas do and having family over.  

Finished the week on 32.7.   Aiming for 35 next week.  

Hope you've all had a good weekend.
  • Good sessions DT and David.

Well done on the big mileage and puppy ownership Lit.

Well done on the big kilometrage (and what no puppy!?) Pete. You should maybe try a rest and a fresh pair of trainers from Santa to bounce through your Christmas Day park run.

Hard luck Mace. Derailed by a derailleur ! FFS.

51 miles over last week for me, mostly easy except for a progressive run out on Friday, finishing around threshold, with a couple of rest days in the aftermath of last weekends hard race effort.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi Pete, well done on the kms for the week.

Decent mileage, Muddy. When will you start a London plan, or is this it?

I ended the week with an easy 15 yesterday. I feel like i've turned a corner this week and had a little boost in fitness, mainly based on my HR on easy runs. After yesterdays 15 my garmin told me I was 'peaking'.

Another decent week planned this week then just whatever fits over Christmas week.

• DT - I'm working a bit more at the endurance part now in preparation for the Brass Monkey. Then I'm going to have a break after the Brass Monkey then in broad terms 'prepare for London' through the tail end of Jan/Feb/March. This will generally involve running more miles, if that constitutes a plan !
  • Well done on 10 mile PB Muddy.

You DICK Mace - watch where you putting your fucking feet!!

What kind of puppy Lit?

Powerizer Leg Springs for Christmas Pete?
  • Oh no what if mace's flu-like symptoms are actually signs of sepsis like on the Archers?

Hi Skinny! I am getting a Bedlington terrier x whippet. He will come running with me (when old enough) and he will love it.
  • I'm doing a parkrun not the paralympics, Skinny.

I got outvoted on puppy ownership once and ending up walking the dog for 14 years.  Won't get fooled again!
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    I don’t have sepsis but a work colleague has it and a couple of weeks ago it looked like he wouldn’t make that weekend. Not heard anything for about a week when it looked like he was pulling through.

I didn’t see the derailleur because it was strategically placed to fuck me up as I navigated a 90 degree turn around a wall. 

Absolutely washed out over the weekend but woke this morning feeling 100% and managed a nice 5M. 

Onwards and upwards 
  • literatin said:
    Oh no what if mace's flu-like symptoms are actually signs of sepsis like on the Archers?

Hi Skinny! I am getting a Bedlington terrier x whippet. He will come running with me (when old enough) and he will love it.
    A Bedpet (in labradoodle language).

Or a whippington perhaps.

• Hi all, ran the Hyde Park LFOTM 5k today and so thought I'd write up a little report.  
    Hi David. Well done on the improvement. I set my PB at the LFOTM 5k back in 1998! Your mention of it gave me fond memories. Of pain, mostly.
  • Hi David. Well done on the improvement. I set my PB at the LFOTM 5k back in 1998! Your mention of it gave me fond memories. Of pain, mostly.
    Thank you.  I was going to enter December's race but I'm not at work.  I'll do a parkrun instead.

What month in 1998 did you set your PB?  The records just about stretch that far back! 
  • Hi David. Well done on the improvement. I set my PB at the LFOTM 5k back in 1998! Your mention of it gave me fond memories. Of pain, mostly.
    What month in 1998 did you set your PB?  The records just about stretch that far back! 
    October. That's me in 5th place with the 17.38. However, my watch said 17.28 so I think they mixed me up with the guy in 4th. That has bugged me ever since! I used to work down the road back then behind Selfridges and I would do it at lunchtime sometimes. pretty sure I went from around 20 minutes down to that time so hope you stick at it and do the same. The big improvement for me came after joining a club and doing intervals which were always competitive even though they weren't meant to be. It becomes so easy to run fast. Not so easy to keep running fast, hence the memories of pain!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    How old were you then  Charlie? Circa 26?

Ive been cracking on this week with a usual monday of 4 at recovery then spin. Tuesday was 12 x 0.5m off 45 seconds at hmp. Sounds easy right? Not iñ yestersays weather. Fastest rep was 6.24 and slowest 6.42. Wind was wild. 

Easy 8 today came out 7.58 for 138bpm and 2.6 training effect so recovery effort which is good. Followed it up with bodypump tonight. 
  • Great time Charlie and again something to aspire to.

Saw your 12 x .5 on Strava DT.  Must have been brutal in the wind.  I am torn between the 3 x 2m session you mentioned or another 5432345 @ HMP at lunchtime.  I'll decide whilst I have something for breakfast :smile:

• Merry Christmas Overdoners (I'll let Lit sort out the punctuation if required).
  • I reckon your punctuation is fine Skinny (although I would have put the parenthesised bit as a separate sentence). Merry Christmas!

DT I was 27 and had been running for 20 months starting from unfit desk jockeydom. That 5k was pretty much the end of that running stint and I didn't run again until 2014. Would have been nice if I'd carried on but I packed it in and wrote books instead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas all.

Following a very heavy night friday i seem to have picked up a mild cold, first in 14 months so cant complain. Think i weakened my immune system with a 4.30am finish Saturday morning having done 11 with 8 at 6.33mm friday lunchtime then a 16 first thing sunday. Was peak rough yesterday. Groggy but much better today. 
  • Merry Christmas everyone.  I've stopped shovelling food into my mouth for long enough to go to work for two days.  And then I'm off until 8th Jan, happy days.  

Some good races on here, sandwiched amongst overdrinking and undersleeping so well done on those.  

I've been mostly trying to build mileage back up this week so last 7 days were 0, 14, 5, 0, 10, 15, with 4 recovery at lunchtime I hope.  Brought this weeks long run forwards so I could do it with friends, and so then I can squeeze the 16 with 10 at MP in on NYE.  We go away for a couple of days from 2nd and whilst I don't mind running when away I don't want to do that session on unfamiliar ground.  I'm enjoying my running again although I don't seem to have sped up, but that could be a function of the ahem, xmas cheer, I am carrying.  

Any photos of the Bedpet, Lit?  Sounds adorable.  

Get well soon, DT.

Charlie - is that not a bit of a false dichotomy there? Murakami famously runs 10k every day.   

• Merry Christmas (belated) everyone. Well done on the mileage McFlooze and in the circumstances DT. 

I had a bit of a bug over Christmas, still feeling under the weather but back up and running now. A couple of low weeks won't hurt in the grand scheme of things.

I've had a bit of time to start planning next year's escapades. Village Bakery half booked in for 17th Feb and a 10m mudfest a fortnight before that (which will be the 10m marathon effort session that McF is tackling so conscientiously ahead of me). Then Gloucester 20 late March and Droitwich half at marathon effort mid April to round things off.

More immediately I will be doing my usual NYE 10k and hoping to finish in the top 300!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you are really getting back into seing of it, mcf? Not off sking are you.....?

My cold has been largrly short lived. Still suffering mildly with dreg end symptoms but nothing silly. It being holidays ive been getting some decent sleeps in, peaking with 9hrs 35 last night so that will have helped shift it along. 

10 mile mlr boxing day then an easy 7 and bodypump yesterday then 5 today plus strides. Still feeling a little sluggish which will in part be the cold but also the result of over indulgence. plannung to blow the cobwebs with a blast around parkrun in morning. Hoping to just creep under 19 minutes. 

Good luck on NYE, muddy. im looking at village bakery half. Brass monkwy is already upon us almost!
  • Happy old year, everybody. 
    Good to hear you are enjoying the running again, McF and that your lurgies haven't dragged on too long, muddy and DT.
    I have managed to average over 250km per month for the last quarter of the year.  Pace still mostly sluglike, unfortunately.  I did Finsbury Park parkrun on Christmas morning.  I can claim it was a social run with my daughter (true) or that it was "only a tempo" (bollox) but the fact is, I was shit! 26:27  Must do better.
  • Well done on the Christmas mileage everyone! I am also trying to build mileage and managed 46 miles this week despite hosting my family and then GETTING A PUPPY so although I am down a bit on a couple of weeks before I think it is going okay. Also look at his little paws!!!