My Last Run

Comments

• House now slightly straightened. Still home alone. Dropped kids at Ma's and went to Parkrun with Pa. Still not 100% so decided to try to pace him to another sub-27. It was a busy run with some excellent huge puddles from overnight deluge. Dad seemed to be a bit off pace form so I did 2 laps with him before doing a faster 3rd and finishing in 27:07. Still coughing a bit, but enjoyable and met a visiting runner who is 68 and only took up running 3 years ago - now represents GB for age group at duathlon! He zoomed round in 22 something.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • I managed to get a bit lost on the way to Gunnersbury parkrun today and only just made it (I was still getting my coat off when they started) so I was already knackered as I'd jogged there in my coat. Unsurprisingly, I didn't get a great time (26:44) as legs were full of lactic but it's another one done. Onwards.
  • 15 rainy miles this morning, and the last few felt like hard work. No fox sightings today, and I only smelled weed once, but I did get a lungful of someone's strawberry vape. It was quite pleasant.
  • I sometimes wonder about the ladies who run with their hair flying everywhere - nice running Cal.

Nice parkrunning with your dad Will.  Enjoy those mince pies.

10 miles for me in 1:30 on Friday in yucky conditions - wet and windy - another half an hour out and I would have been wringing out my underwear.  The socks were pretty squelchy already.  It wasn't very cold though so it didn't really bother me.  Unsurprisingly there were not too many people out - just a couple of dog walkers.  Also saw the small group of storks that will overwinter here - rather bedraggled.

Yesterday an attempt to do some LT intervalls - at effort rather than pace as I hid from the wind in the woods on an undulating route.  Got my workouts on the watch mixed up and messed up the first intervall as a result and nrs. 2 and 3 were also shorter than planned but it doesn't really matter.  

Out in a bit for this weeks longer run - 12 miles.  Will probably be a repeat of Friday's conditions.   Seems to be good for my immune system though - haven't caught OH's lurgy. 
  • Finishing 2018 on a bit of a high with a marathon today. Last week's ankle trouble was about 90% cleared up so I opted to take it reasonably easy but having been on target for 4.50 at mile 23 a finish time of 4.59 was a bit disappointing but it was largely due to my Garmin being way off and making it a 27 mile race! A nice brisk headwind in the last two miles left me flagging quite a bit at the end but it was still a negative split!

The ankle held up well but still feels just a little sore this evening but nowhere near as bad as after last week's half. Might get out for a Christmas Day parkrun but I doubt I'll do more than that until next year!
  • Matt, given your injuries and the conditions, I'd say that's a win, especially if you neg splitted it.
  • Well done, Matt. Any marathon finish is a win.

I'm trying to fit runs in around all the festivities, so the 'plan' has gone a bit out of the window this week's, mileage wise. Still, I've managed a 4 day streak to keep the legs ticking over. The kids miraculously slept in and through Junior Parkrun yesterday,  so I nipped out for a 5.5 mile progression number, which I enjoyed. Left groin and right knee slightly niggling so the next two days off is probably a good idea. Lots of cooking and wrapping to be getting on with. I shall try to get out for a 14 miler on Thursday .

So, wishing all MLRERS a very merry Christmas and a fantastic few days. Here's to you all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Well done Matt.  Great that you made it to the start and of corse the finish! Recover well.

Have a great Christmas everyone!
  • Happy Christmas! I had a decent run at South Manchester parkrun - 25:29 (considerably better than last year, although that was one of my first parkruns post-injury) plus the two miles there and two miles back, and then had a walk around Sale Water Park. I think I've earned my dinner!
  • Enjoy that dinner Cal.  Xmas miles done for me too - a bit more than seven along some riverside trails and a reservoir with quite a few people out birdwatching (I notice assorted ducks, swans and geese).  Also 3 other runners
  • Thanks guys, still quite sore two days later so instead of running parkrun I opted to volunteer as photographer instead, I'm in no rush to get out there again so I'll give it a week or two to hopefully ensure I make a decent start to 2019!
  • Very sensible, Matt.
    Another 8 miles logged this morning. I ran back to the parkrun park as I know where it is. It was very misty this morning. We'll likely go for another walk later and then I'll be going back home tomorrow.
  • I didn't get to Christmas Parkrun, although Norwich had 1,100 runners and is now the 4th biggest Parkrun anywhere - surprising stat!
    We had a great day and I didn't stuff too much food in. Also, my 3rd year of non-drinking, so felt quite virtuous about that :)
    My son and Dad got Fitbits from Santa, which they're both already obsessed with. So, I went out for a 2K training run with my boy this morning, which was lovely. He and Dad are going to have their own Fitbit league, with the cousins, so plenty of competition ahead. Also, I bought my Dad entry into a 10K trail race at the end of March, so am going to write him a training plan. He's well up for it!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • 9 slow miles yesterday, getting the legs going again. Ran across the Marsh, which is now flooded and rammed full of gulls. Felt a bit 'floppy' form-wise, no doubt due to festive food intake. Also, took the kids ice-skating, which was great fun and resulted, amazingly,  in no injuries   Off to Wales this morning.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Enjoy your trip, Will!
    6 miles in the dark this morning because I woke up early. Achilles was obnoxious. I'm ignoring it.
  • Have fun in Wales Will.  Your family is getting well stuck into this running lark.

Sometimes you have to just tell a niggle to shut up Cal I agree.

Did a few Boxing Day miles in the evening after returning back from the inlaws in Germany. 

Yesterday the annual running group wander to have a midday meal together a few villages away.  The villages we passed through on the way all seemed to have an open pub so we had to take several breaks.  Meant I missed a run yesterday but it doesn't matter.

Out in a bit for some speedwork - feeling a bit flabby and undermotivated but once I get going I will be okay.
  • I think we're all feeling a bit flabby, to be honest! I did brave the scales this morning and was still (just) under 10 and a half stone, but that was post-poo/post-run/pre-breakfast. Still a win, though, considering the amount of food I've shovelled away.
  • Crane parkrun today, which is out Twickenham way and is a lovely park (and, more importantly, not muddy as it's on hard trail). I had a fairly good run - decent first two miles where I got into a dogfight with another lady, but then my legs got full of lactic and my last mile was a good bit slower. Still, 25:19, which isn't bad, and I got 9th lady although I was (somewhat amazingly) only 5th in my age group. Apparently there are some fast V50s there!
    That was bracketed by a mile run from the station and a mile back again, plus pilates once I got home. Feeling rather tired now.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I need to dust off my scales and put in new batteries.  I hardly use them.  Could do the trouser test-if too tight then too much flab 😊.

Nice parkrun.  I've had similar experiences in some races this year that it wasn't the 20 to 30 year old ladies out in front but the 40+ so I had good overall results but wasn't as high in my age group as I would have liked.

Did my speedwork yesterday - 5 × 200m with jog back recoveries x 2 with 4 mins between the 2 sets.  Around 7 miles with warm up and cool down.  Quite a nice workout.  Probably very inaccurate due to GPS measurement but without track access I do what I can. 

Today 10 miles in 1:27:26 with some progression.  Starting off at a comfy pace and increasing to slightly slower than MP was the plan but my pacing was a bit erratic as usual and not helped by the undulating nature of the route.  Average pace fell during the run which was I guess the goal.

Edit: Forgot: went through 2000 miles for this year today.  First time I've achieved such an annual mileage.
  • That's a great mileage! I've logged around 1500 myself, which is definitely a personal best although I haven't counted up my miles from previous years (I just know it to be true).
    My last run of the year was a fairly slow and uninspiring 16 miler which took me 2:50:20. No spring in my legs at all. Fortunately tomorrow is a rest day. Anyway, miles in the bank.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    A belated merry Xmas everyone and happy new year. May not be on the thread or forum that much from herein but I keep checking. As always it's motivating, warm and an education in ornithology. Lots of love, have a great coming year.
  • Well done on the 16 miler Cal, hope you had a nice day off.

Please drop in every now and then JT. 

Wishing all remaining regulars and any lurkers a great 2019.

I finished off 2018 with a race.  7.53km in 31:57, a course PB of 37 seconds.  Strange distance but it is around a reservoir so some flooding or draining would be needed to achieve a standard distance.  No time for ornithology today, did spot one enormous scope / tripod combo though.  Pleased with the result but I shouldn't eat a large banana an hour before a race as it sat a bit uneasily in my stomach.  Will start 2019 with a nice rest day.
  • Well done on the race, Hazelnut.
    I started my year with a parkrun double - my first. I had a warm-up jog of two miles to the lady who was giving me a lift. We did Riddlesdown, which is outside Croydon and a bit of an arse to get to unless you have a car. Not a hilly course but very lumpy bumpy and muddy in places so I was glad I took trail shoes with me. A decent 26:05 (13th lady and 2nd VW50) which I was happy with. Then changed back into my Zoom Flys for Tooting, my home run, where I came in at a surprising 25:28, which was within 1 second of my PB. I could be annoyed by that but I'm actually rather chuffed considering it was my second parkrun of the morning!
  • Hmm - I think we are going to end up talking to each other or even ourselves on here soon .  Well done on your parkrun double, especially with the swift second outing after what sounds like a not so easy first round.

Out for my first run of 2019 earlier - a bit short of 9 miles on an undulating route.  Legs still feel a bit tired after Monday's efforts but I probably worked too hard today.  Will regret that tomorrow probably.   A bit colder - a few flakes of snow fell whilst I was out and a few more earlier.  Not really settling yet though. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Evening all and a Happy New Year

10.03 hill run this afternoon in and around Llangollen,north Wales,lots of walkers up there today,made it more eventful when descending.My quads are feeling heavy,working tonight but I'll try and get my feet up later for a few minutes.
  • Ooh I forgot to post yesterday. A dawn 10 miles starting at 6am. Broke in my new Epics (the old Epics have well over 600 miles on them, although they still seem decent). The new pair are a rather eye-watering orange. I like them.
    Today is a rest day, although I started with a tough yoga class and I've also had a bit of a walk as I'm trying to do 10,000 steps. I don't tend to walk much on rest days so it's a resolution of sorts.
  • Good to hear from you JT, and sorry you won't be around much. Hope you drop in and keep well.

Hi, JD1, and welcome. Sound like a nice run. I'm just back from West Wales and love visiting the North too.

Looking forward to sharing my last runs with you again this year, Cal and Hazelnut. Good to see you are straight out there in 2019, running well and injury free. Maybe we'll get some new runners on here this year, to boost numbers.

My marathon training plan has not been stuck to with the inevitable chaos of yuletide, but I've kept my eye in with a few runs and am now getting strictly back on it. I had built 2-3 weeks grace into it to allow for injuries/illness and so I'm still on course despite a lazy week or so.

I did the Llanelli Coastal Parkrun on Saturday, which was picturesque but cold. After 7 hours driving on Friday and a bit of sinusitis, I wasn't on best form and could only manage 25:48, on a course that I've done a low 24 on before. Enjoyable nonetheless. After very nearly losing my son's new drone in some vast sand dunes on Sunday I got back out on Monday for 5 miles along my birding trails. Lovely to mix two passions and saw some huge flocks of Golden Plover, a smart Bullfinch and some ghostly Little Egrets. I didn't manage a New Year's Day run but we had lots of fun climbing rocks and collecting shells on Ferryside beach. Back to it this morning, with a brisk 5K in the cemetery back home and am off out again tonight to complete a daily double. Parkrun and a 17 miler planned for the weekend, so should be back on track fully by next week.

Happy running and Happy New Year all!

Oh, and I broke the 'mille' barrier for the first time, with 1053 miles in 2018.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Just a 4.45 easy miles,went straight out after finishing work this morning.Have my first race pencilled in for end of Febuary,Ruthin 10k,so I need to crank up my speed work.
    Thinking about doing my first marathon this year,probably Chester as it's my local one,did the Chester HM last year which was very well run,so possibly try the full one.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Welcome to JD1.  Hill running in Wales sounds like a good thing.  And don't the descents kill the quads.

Nice 10 miler Cal.  I like orange shoes.  Always nice to wear a new pair of shoes (as long as they fit).  Did you achieve your 10.000 steps?  

Good to see you back Will.  A break will have done you good, seems you had a great time in Wales.  Well done on the mileage in 2018.

Tough intervall session today - 3x1200 (3min recoveries), 2x800 (2 min recoveries), 2x600 (1:30 recoveries), all distances measured by GPS on a flat bit of road so probably not accurate. At just over freezing with a bit of a breeze it was hard to get the legs and in particular the quads working sufficiently.  A bit of a shock to the lungs as well.   Splits were ok at 5:00, 4:51 and 5:03 for the 1200s, 3:15 and 3:27 for the 800s and 2:27 and 2:34 for the 600s.  The breeze, a few tight corners and a 180 turn will have skewed things a bit.   Still working my way into running at faster than 10k PB pace (4:15/km). 

Bird spot of the day:  a chicken on the wrong side of the fence.  Fortunately it ran in the other direction and not under my feet.  Might have made a good dinner.
  • Nice chicken, Hazelnut. Not seen one round here for a while :) A tough interval session there. I admire your tenacity. It's got very cold here too, just 2C this morning.

Chester Marathon sounds like a good shout, JD1. Cal, who is on here a lot, has done it a couple of times, I think, and rates it.

The second half of my daily double was good last night. 5 miles in 48 mins, and the legs were fine and actually warmed up and got working quicker than usual. I followed it up with 6 miles of easy pace this morning - a 24hr triple! The legs did feel heavy for this one so I took it slow and enjoyed the surroundings, on the Marsh by the river. A hunting Sparrowhawk and a pair of Redshank were good spots so close to home. Definitely feeling back in the groove now.
    I run, therefore I am.