Manchester 2019

Comments

• Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Hi Adam, good to have you on board! Exciting times with Manchester being your first marathon, hopefully being on here will add some benefit to your training!

saintjason, Amsterdam was good thanks, slower than I'd anticipated for such a flat course but hey ho!

It's always a struggle motivating yourself to go out after work now its dark and getting colder! I'm hoping to get in a steady 5/6 miles this evening
  • HI all, signed up today. Bring it on.

Hopefully lucky number 7 gets me my target.
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    nicko1981 what's your target? I've heard a lot of people use Manchester to get a Boston qualifying time
  • My A target will be sub 3; with 3:05 as the B target for London and Boston (only just found out Boston is also now 3:05). I think I can get the sub 3 if I get through the training period.

C target I am not going to consider, but PB stands at 3:12 from London this year.
  • I am signed up for this too...my first marathon. I am trying to keep my levels up from the Autumn HM season and gradually build it. I am now up to metric marathon levels. I am hoping to be up to 30km by new year.
  • Hi all, newbie on here not aware of the rules as of yet but here's a little about me.

I completed the half marathon here in October and when i didnt get in to London thought id give Manchester a go, so it was june 17" the last marathon i did around my home city of derry very hard course with a couple of big hills that last 2 miles each then a few other short steep climbs to hit your momentum again completed that in 3:45 with me leading on to the half marathon that september in derry also doing that in 1:42. Decided then to get a solid year of training in and start to work away at my times in shorter distances before stepping back up to marathon, which has led me to manchester half in october 1:36:15 and on a solid base of between 45-50 miles per week now heading into this schedule which will start on 15th december.

Travelling over from Ireland with a group of lads from the friday to the monday in April and theyll also be racing too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    nicko-Great target times there,I'm looking at them for next Autumn if everything goes well,as an older git I've already got a BQ but still not got a London GFA so that will be my main target at Manchester.
    Smac-That's a good improvement in a few months and that base mileage will set you up really well.
    Good luck to all the guys running their first,it's a nice place to start your marathon career at.
    I've just plodded the last few weeks since Chester so guessing it's time to get the training going again.
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Some good targets/ times there! being 45 my BQ time is 3:20, not sure whether I'll manage anywhere near that but planning on putting some solid training in so never say never!! I've also stuck my name in the pot for Berlin and Chicago next year!
  • Still not signed up ... but legs seems in a good place at moment after getting a PB 1.44 HM end of October and then I plodded 17 miles under 2 1/2 hours last Saturday  

• I'm doing Manchester for my first marathon, signed up way back in April when it opened. Worked out my training plan for it the other day.

Looking just to get round really, although under 4:30 would be nice. I have a half PB of 1:55 so hopefully doable.
  • My running club is based in the west coast of Scotland (Troon Tortoises) and each year we pick a marathon and turn up en masse. Last year was Liverpool R&R, this year it's Manchester's turn! So if you see loads of yellow vests turning up off a bus then that'll be us.

Never run Manchester before, so really looking forward to it. But I have Barcelona  4 weeks before and London 3 weeks afterwards, so it's going to depend on how Barcelona goes and whether there's any injuries picked up. This year's races were all run on hot days, and times were rubbish, so as it stands, I don't have any GFA times. My plan will be "A" goal - PB, sub 3:05. "B" goal - GFA, "C" goal - finish. Hoping we get a nice cold day (but dry and not too windy) - can someone please get this arranged?

• Hi guys, how's everyone getting on with their training? I'm just starting my 16 week plan this and actually quite looking forward to it - will be nice to have a bit more purpose to my running again!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Adam-Great you are looking forward to the training,that is half the battle done.
    Training going really well here,I start mine a bit earlier as the next couple of weeks are hectic for me,and I'm doing Gran Canaria at the end of January. I've just some off the back of marathon training so started in a good place.Completed 22 miles on Friday in 3:08 so really happy with that.
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Good work Adam!

Ian, My last marathon was Amsterdam at the end of October so I feel in a pretty good place too at the moment so not stressing too much just yet!!
  • Day One of the next 16 weeks plan.......here we go again!
  • Stockholm SyndromeStockholm Syndrome ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I did a 30 km run today which means that the base is laid for the serious build up that I will start after the holidays. I´m still deciding if I will follow Furman/First or Shades training plan, but I´m leaning towards Shades as there seems to be too much focus on pace in First. 
  • Yep - I'm in again for 2019 too.

Manchester 2017 was my first ever marathon ... great to see several folks signed up as marathon number 1 - it's a really good one for first timers. I managed to bag a BQ and London GFA, so had to skip Manchester 2018 as I was otherwise engaged... really looking forward to the winter training again though (no, I'm not being sarcastic - I'm very much a winter runner!).

Just a thought - Chimney, if you're no good on the flat Manchester's going to be hell for you! It's pancake only broken up by a few "up and over" bridges... and a long, shallow drag up to the finish.

Hey Ian5 - 2019 has got to be your year after "falling-over-gate" in 2017!!! And you seem to have turned into a right speedster since then - nice one... well done on that great Chester time!

• Hi this is my very first marathon and have always struggled eating/consuming gels etc and i believe they are providing Nutramino Carbo Energygels that u cannt buy? Any advice / similar gels so i can get used to them?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hey Nell-Good to hear from you again,how's things going?
    Yes I've had a good 18 months since then,my days of saving women falling are gone though  ;)
    Stockholm-I'm a follower of shades plan,and even if you alter it there's a lively thread to give you advice.
    Gaz-I don't think the on course gels are available to buy so i'd try different ones and carry them yourself,I use high 5 isotonic as I find them more drinkable than others but it's important to find what suits yourself.
  • Cheers Little Nell. Yep, will have to specifically find some flat to train on to have and keep a constant pace. Not easy in the Peak District! Got a couple of old railways and canals. Gonna get boring though.....I really do prefer off road up/down. Means different muscles get used and rested at different times. 

Last time I tried a flat Mara, Abingdon, I blew my calf at 15m. 
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Chimney - this is why it's important to train with specifity in mind and train on the flat for Manchester. I am east Manchester based so can find a climb easily too. This is why I purposely train on the canal tow paths near me. 10 miles out and back on the same path does get boring but in a mad kind of way also great mental training. I find I can detach myself completely and it really doesn't matter where I am tbh. Hope you can stick with the flat as it will make a difference to your muscles and race day.
  • First time poster here. Coming down from Glasgow to run this marathon. Hopefully break my sub 3.30 curse. Heard good things about this race / course so looking forward to it. I see most reviews saying it is pancake flat, are we chatting no real steep hills at all? Reluctant to do a lot of hill training if the course is extremely flat? Cheers
  • Rutherglenrunner always good to see other Scots at "foreign" races. ;) At least if you're going for 3:30 then your pacing should be straightforward -how are you with your 8-times table?
  • rodeoflip :) :) 8 times tables haven't worked well for me so far ha. Run a decent half 1.29 but cant translate that over to the full yet. Hoping this is the one. A formality if its flat and fairly mild in April surely? ;)
  • Hi guys, hope the training is going well and you're managing to run off all them mince pies... I was just curious if people incorporated cross training into their training and if so what works best for you? I've usually just used the exercise bike in the gym but would be interested to hear what others do.
  • Adam453 - yes, 100%. Usually in a marathon plan I will do swimming, cycling and weights/HIIT either on off-days or days with a less challenging run planned. I find this a great way to increase fitness and give some variety to training. The cycling and HIIT especially can help with the running due to being good Vo2 work.
  • Not quite got into a full plan yet but been maintaining average about 25 - 30 miles for last few months so have a decent base and going to go for a long run 15 mile tomorrow which will hopefully kick me into it. 

Looking for another plan option as have followed the Strava 12 week plan last time but didnt feel it had enough long runs in. Where do i find the Shades plan mentioned above ? 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rutherglen-I did Manchester a couple of years ago and can't remember any hills,only real ones where a couple of railway bridges and a small hill out of altrincham,No hill training needed.
    Jonny-the shades plan is a thread on the training sub-forum.She has a couple if plans,mainly for people who don't run as many miles as many plans give you,it is a good thread with lots of advice on there.
  • Rutherglenrunner - agree with Ian, it is really genuinely flat. There are a few little bridges that feel like a bit of a shock to the system when the change in gradient appears out of the blue but they're over in a flash (or a short stagger - depending on the pace). I don't recall the Alty hill but the home stretch from around under the motorway and up to the finishing run in is a gentle, sloping slog upwards. That's the bit where you really need to concentrate!

Adam453 - I do Pilates and strength training every week, mainly because I'm getting on a bit now and I'm very conscious of battling the muscle loss associated with ageing. I don't do any of the "classic" cross training... cycling, swimming, etc. - because I just don't have the time, I'd like to though (if there were 28 hours in a day).

Training is going well for me, so far. Was originally intending to do a 16-week plan but the first week was 100% rest to try to shift a sinus, throat and ear infection. Now I'm back on track - except for the "food baby" that needs to be persuaded to depart asap! Looking forward to all the LSRs to address that.