Sub 3h15

Comments

• Welcome back Speedy. It's nice to have a lady back with us; we can't seem to hang onto them on here. Sounds like you're doing well and sub 3 at London would be great. 

Lorenzo - I did indeed and have been out for 4 runs with my sister and one solo quicker one on Xmas day myself. The Jersey boys are trying to get a few runners together but I won't be there. I've no racing plans for the foreseeable but will probably do an autumn marathon. How about you? 

OO - Very quick Parkrun to cap off what has been a very good year of racing for you. Nice to hear Junior is running well. 

Poacher - Enjoy Sunday. 

It's been really mild here and lovely running routes to enjoy with my sister but most important quality family time. Heading back to Jersey tomorrow for my 2nd Christmas with Mrs GM. Off work until 2 Jan. Yayyyyyy! 

• Speedy - A while ago for Christmas I temporarily changed my name to something more festive, and then when I tried to change it back found that someone had taken the Lorenzo name! I did try to get in touch with them but no answer.  :(
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    it would have been great for comedy value if it had been taken by an opportunist who tried to extort say £100 from you for the name back. 

Ticking along with an easy 10 this morning. in the last few hours i seem to have gone from feeling fine to having a full blown cold. First in 14 months. Last thing friday i sat in a small office with a client who was streaming and i joked how i hadnt had a cold in so long and if i suddenly got one I'd come looking for her!!

Thankfully in view of xmas this week schedule is just easy miles. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Take care DT, that’s a bugger
  • Are they still active Lorenzo? How very rude!

DT - at least 50% of my office had a nasty cold in December. Somehow I managed to avoid getting it properly, just a bit of a raw throat and a runny nose in the week before my ultra. But I still have the snotty nose more than two weeks on, and it's much worse when I run. Frankly it's disgusting! I'm not ill, just disgusting! :(

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Are you back in the northeast for Xmas Speedy?
  • No, I no longer have any ties to the North East, other than my accent! I moved dad down here to a care home down the road from me as he couldn't manage on his own. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Ahh that’s a shame but pragmatic I guess.
    Think the last time we spoke was Whitley Bay parkrun years ago. Glad to hear you are still on top form and not succumbed to the southern drawl ;)
  • OO – Excellent Parkrun time!

Hi Speedy, great to hear from you again! Congrats on the Ultra course record. Here’s an Ultra worth considering - https://www.entrycentral.com/Self-transcendence-100km-50km It’s the British 100k Championship and I’ll be there representing N. Ireland.

I achieved my goal mileage for the year today. I surpassed 3650 miles, so that’s 10 miles a day average. It’s been a much tougher goal than I expected, as I’ve really wanted a good rest for months. I had no problem with high mileage training up until the Berlin Marathon. However, with no ‘A’ races since then it’s been tough maintaining 60-70 miles a week.

I’ve a marathon on Sunday and want to run two Parkrun’s on New Year’s Day, but after that I’m taking a few days off.

• I do really want to do that one BB, but it's one week before my target half marathon in the build up to London. Maybe in 2020 it will be on at a different time. I know it's in a different place each year.
  • Speedy - great to hear from you and especially good to hear you are still running and racing. Good luck with your foray in the world of ultras.
    OO - great parkrun to finish the year.
    DT - oh well, at least it's the least worst time to get a cold.
    Badbark - congrats on reaching 3650 - shocked to hear that you're taking a few days off though ;) Seriously though, you have had a corker of a year for running. Rest on those laurels.
    Had two days rest for Christmas. Mrs GD was back at work yesterday, so I took the opportunity to do a run in the daylight. 12 miles @ 6:57/m. Amazing what a couple of days' rest can do. 12 miles again this morning at a much more sedate 8:30 /m. 
  • Must be the day for it, I did 12 this morning too :) 8.40 pace for me though. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice parkrun, oo.

Gul, solid 12s there. 

Badbark, enjoy the few days off!!

Speedy i know what you mean. i often have the snotty dregs for a couple of weeks. i can get away with it out running, however i beone disgusting when in a busy spin class!

I seem to have managed the cold well and feeling much better very quickly. Easy 7 yesterday and 5 today with 6 x 30 sec strides. Going to blow the cobwebs with a parkrun blast in morning. i dont expect to be chsllenging my better times, just want to open everything up and creep under 19 minutes. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

And 12 for me this afternoon @7:58/m.   Seem to be getting closer to 2,600 miles for the year but I may settle for 2,598 ...

Sounds like you have the cold in control DT - no doubt you charged your infectious clients a premium rate!

Welcome back Speedy. I've spent a lot of time at Holme Pierrpont in the last few years as my oldest son rows.  It's a pretty good location for a 10K or Half-Marathon but I'm not sure I'd fancy doing the marathon there!

Clearly the daylight is good for your speed Gul! How's the target looking?

That's a lot of miles (and medals) Badbark - well done!

Good to hear you're enjoying the holiday runs Gerard.

Still need to book the Boston accommodation and travel Lorenzo - I was toying with staying somewhere along the course to get some pre-marathon familiarisation in but there doesn't seem to be many options. The Sunday Baseball game sounds like a good idea but I expect I'll be too focussed on preparations for the big day! 

• DT - glad to hear you're getting over the cold already.
    SBD - you can't stop at 2598!
    That's enough 12 milers I reckon. 13 today, plodded out at 8:47/m, I think  - it was a while ago now :) Just 13 left to go now.
  • Gul – Great b2b 12 milers and a 13. Nearly there now!

Speedy – Good 12 miles completed. It’s a pity the 100k classes with your VLM schedule 

DT – Glad to read you are feeling better. I hope your hit your Parkrun target

SBD – Nice 12 miles completed but I’m surprised any runner can stop on xx98 miles for the year.

I ran my 12th different Parkrun of the year today. I took it relatively easy due to a Marathon tomorrow, running 20:57. It was the Falls Parkrun and not pleasant. The road in to the carpark was covered with broken glass and the course was covered in dog mess. I plan on running all N. Irelands Parkruns but that's one I'll not be back to!

• Sounds grim BB, I'll not make a special journey to that one! New Year's Day will see me add my 40th (and 41st) different parkruns - it was on the bucket list to run 40 different ones before turning 40). Next up is the A-Z challenge, which of course I'm already more than halfway through but the ones I don't have yet will involve a fair bit of travelling.  I could have done one this morning, but opted instead for the club training session of XC hills on a continuous loop in Wollaton Park. The County Champs are there next Saturday so it seemed like a good idea. Especially since I haven't done any 'sessions' of any description for about a month. 

SBD - get out there and run 2 miles man, what is wrong with you? Would you finish a run on x.98 miles? Of course not, you'd run up and down the street to get to a round number like the rest of us. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    14 this morn, 11 over the next 2 days will yield 1700 for the year . . .  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, i am getting extremely uneasy and twitchy reading yoyr post. Go out immediately for a 2 mile run!

Nice parkrunning badbark and good luck tomortow. 

Nice double digit runs everyone else. 

Parkrun went to plan and was hard but controlled. Annoyingly they moved the finish line slighly so instead of measuring 3.10 it measured 3.12. I ran 18.47 for 7th place and 1st in age cat. I was 3 seconds off a course pb, which I'd have got but for their pesky meddling!! My course pb was set 2 weeks out from London at peak fitness so to be there in xmas week with dregs of a cold is positive.

Off down to Bristol now for my annual christmas  night on Gloucester road with my bristol mates.  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I did Whinlatter parkrun today, one of the toughest in the country. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the Lakes. Junior OO beat me again she’s getting far too cocky. We have an 11k race on New Years day- hopefully I can put up a better fight.

pull your finger out SBD!
  • Sounds grim BB, I'll not make a special journey to that one! New Year's Day will see me add my 40th (and 41st) different parkruns - it was on the bucket list to run 40 different ones before turning 40). Next up is the A-Z challenge, which of course I'm already more than halfway through but the ones I don't have yet will involve a fair bit of travelling. 
    When you want to do your U give me a shout as Upton Court is nearby and most alphabeteers seem to come by to catch it. 
  • So Speedy returns, and within days the talk focusses on snot. Nice.

Whinlatter?  Err that sounds steep. Toughest round here is Lyme Park (where Colin Firth got all wet in the lake in Pride and Prejudice on TV). Really hard.

Lorenzo - good call to book the baseball - it's such an historic stadium, de rigeur for marathoners.  If it's an evening game it can get cool so dress up.

Bit of bah humbug here, went down with a seasonal lurgy a couple of days ago, shaking uncontrollably, feverish, achy, splitting headache etc so tomorrow's mara is binned.  :'(

Had a catch up with Poachette this week - she was offered an elite start in London but thought that was a bit high pressure for a debut. So has turned it down and opted for the Championship race.  With a 1.13 HM this year she should be on for something fast.  Exciting stuff. I'll be lucky to finish on the same day as her.  :/

• CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    1.13? Chuffin' nora that's fast! Sorry about the lurgy. Are you snotting too? ;)

Thanks PMJ, I do indeed need a U. And A, E, J, O, Q, T, V and Z as well. A new one is due to start in Alvaston soon. Still, it might take a while! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I can recommend Jersey for the J. Gerard is your man for long cal knowledge.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Badbark - good luck today.
    Speedy - where did you do X then?
    Birch - nearly there now.
    DT - great parkrunning.
    OO - does that include the pass?! Good luck for New Year's Day.
    Poacher - should be a great debut for Poachette. Get well soon.
    Clocked up 3,000 today with one of my favourite sessions - 400m / 200m tempo intervals. Did 32 reps and 13 miles. Will take a few day's rest. 
  • OO54 said:
    I can recommend Jersey for the J. Gerard is your man for long cal knowledge.

A lot of people are now doing the new Jersey Farm parkrun which is, in fact, in St Albans in Herts http://www.parkrun.org.uk/jerseyfarm/. Yesterday, over half the finishers were on 50+ runs and that was the 8th event.  

That's the thing about a lot of these parkrun challenges, anything name based is subject to change. 
  • Gul, there are none that begin with X! 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Clearly a good marketing opportunity to rename the local park "Xanadu" ...

Well done on nailing the 3,000 Gul and a good session to finish with.

Bad news on missing Town Moor Poacher. Have you got the next one lined up?

Good park running from OO, DT and Badbark

Good finish to the year Birch and a nice number.

Just to be clarify - I only get to 2598 for 2019 if I run 18 miles today and 6 miles tomorrow.  At the moment the 18 is looking like a tough ask ... particularly if I don't get a move on ...

• Of course, with the parkrun alphabet there is a liberal dose of bias bordering on jingoism. We have 26 letters in our alphabet so that is the challenge and we totally ignore the Cyrillic and many other alphabets. People make trips to Poland to grab a run that starts with ʑ and call it a z. Maybe one day there will be a parkrun started in Zouch (near to Ashby-de-la-Zouch but a different place). 
  • I didn't see any Polish parkruns listed that began with Z, or with that character that I don't know how to type but looks like a Z with a line through it. Currently it will have to be South Africa or Australia for a Z, and I can't afford a trip to either of those any time soon. I'd settle for a Polish not really a Z tbh. 

Did you get out for the 18 SBD? Because 8 miles tomorrow is hardly a stretch now, is it?

I'm currently on 2188.9 miles for 2018. Tomorrow was supposed to be a rest day though. I'm not sure I could fit in 11.1 miles anyway as I have an appointment in the morning that may involve pain and a requirement to stay quite still for the rest of the day. But 2200 is a fairly arbitrary number anyway. 2000 would have been a nice one, or even 3500km, but I passed both of those accidentally.