Coming back from injury so can't taper for marathon

I broke a toe 3 weeks ago, hoping to start running again this week, and have a marathon in 4 weeks time.

I was up to 15 miles before the injury, and have been doing some cross-training. I am wondering how to play it in the next few weeks. I was planning on trying to do last long run the week before marathon and do around18 miles. Does that make sense?

Obviously if the toe isn't up to it this week, then i will have to abandon I guess.

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's pointless to do a long run the week before your marathon, training takes about 3 weeks to have an effect.   And as you've had a lay off due to your injury there's a chance that you might not recover from the long run and then start the marathon with tired legs.

Depending on your recovery, it's up to you whether you tackle the marathon or not.   If there's no pressure for time you could run as far as you can comfortably and then run/walk the remainder of the race.
  • Yep, starting a marathon on tired legs is not a good idea. Do your last long run this weekend, maybe 18-20 miles and see how you feel. Then maybe 15 the weekend after, then less than 10 on the weekend before the race. This is all assuming that the toe allows you to do so. I hope you're able to run the marathon, but best case, you still won't be trained, so bear this in mind and take it very easy. Start slow and then slow down. Good luck!
  • I managed 15 miles today, but was dead then... the toe is fine - but the cardio is clearly not there. Am wondering about run/walk from the start - i've done some research on the Galloway method - and it seems given my pace and start time I should be doing 2 mins running, 30 seconds walking. However googling, seems to suggest lots of folk do other ratios 5:1 or 25 mins/5 mins. I can't say the prospect of walking every 2 mins fills me with great joy - although I guess it might be my best bet at getting around.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's good news though that the toe has healed well.   I think you should run easy for the first 10 miles or so and then switch to run/walk when you start to tire.

If you've not done lots of training to run/walk you'll struggle, might as well run when you can then just do what your body allows.  

Make sure you have some fuel to take on board during the race, sweet/gels whatever you prefer, keeping your blood sugar up will help your mood too.   And when you have to walk chat to other runners, make it as enjoyable an occasion as you can.
  • Pleased to say I got around using 5:1 run walk strategy from the start. Plenty of gels/ Jaffa cakes in the second half helped!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's great news.  Hope the toe is OK now and you're back running normally