Sub 3h15

Comments

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Stunned by the abuse from the thread, I thought it was to time to step up and nail the first 20 miler of the Boston campaign.  A bit tough over the last five uphill miles, but managed to pick up the pace for the final few miles to record an average of 7:54/m for the run.

That gives me 75 miles for the week (2 more than planned!) and puts me on 2,594 miles for the year with a 6 mile recovery run planned tomorrow!  A few beers first ...

• Big 20 before the calendar ticks over: always a good way to start a campaign: well at least I always feel that the first 20 is where the real marathon training begins and I used to try and do one along the Ridgeway before Christmas to get it under the belt. 
  • As an occasional pub quizmaster, let me stun you with the news that the Hawaiian alphabet only has 12 letters, but Cambodian has 74. I doubt either has any Parkruns though so it doesn’t matter.

Still feeling crap and couldn’t have run today so ending the year with 10 maras and a total of 90. Never mind the quality, feel the stats. 

Happy new year to all, may the running gods favour you in 2019.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    2552 will be the final number for me. I’ve come down with a dose of man flu so will rest tomorrow and see about the New Years race. It would be a terrible shame to miss out on 2600 SBD- come on you can do it!
  • OO – Great yearly total. Get well soon. 

Poacher – Sorry to read about your lurgy. Still a very impressive marathon total.

SBD – Excellent 20 miles banked to get you close to the 2600. Enjoy the beer. 

Gul – Well done on the 3k+ yearly mileage!

I struggled badly in yesterday’s marathon finishing in 3:19:19. Too much food and drink over the last week. I ran 3 very slow miles with a hangover this morning, to break 3700 for the year. My daily average over the last two years is now 10 miles.

These are the races I completed in 2018 including the fastest time.

42 x Parkruns - 18:07

2 x 5 mile- 29:27

5 x 10k - 37:17

1 x 10 mile – 1:05:14

7 x half marathons - 1:21:21

20 x marathons - 2:47:19 (PB)

1 x 40 mile ultra - 5:16:09

1 x 108 mile ultra - 17:50:22

1 x 24 hr ultra – 140.7 miles (PB)

• Good stats badbark. I always reckon if you concentrated on the various distances you would get much better PBs. Seems you can hit 80% + WAVA at any distance if you try but if you want to average 10+ miles a day (70+ a week) then that just plain does not work with the speed sessions you would need to do to get a 17.xx parkrun for instance. You won't have many years of fast left in your legs but you have many years of long still to go.

Last run of 2018 done, December 192 miles (the highest month in 2019) and 1,653 total for 2019 (worst recorded year). That was due to 5 weeks off (spells of 2,1,2 weeks)the then subsequent build up afterwards. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s fab SBD had to be done!
    Great stats Poacher, keep em coming
    Happy New year all 
  • Can feel those stats all the way down here Poacher - great to get another 10 in the bag.

Difficult to know which is the most impressive of all your figures Badbark - tempted to go with the 24 hour one, although the consistency to get to 3,700 miles for the year is pretty amazing too.

In contrast my 2,042 for the year feels rather inadequate, rounded off with 10 miles on the trails this morning. I feel as though my calories in and out over the past 10 days have probably been in equilibrium so able to start the New Year on a good footing, which ironically I wasn't able to do a couple of days ago with one of those slow motion stumbles. No lasting damage done, other than a decent quality cut on my right leg.

I'll be looking to you for inspiration in the Boston build up SBD - have you got a target time for the race? 

Hope you shake off that man flu quickly OO.

Great keeping company with all you folks in 2018; here's to another fun year together in 2019. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good stats, folks 

4 yesterday, 5 today leaves me with 1,698 for the year.

have a great 2019, everyone - both in our shared hobby, and in "real" life :)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

That's an impressive results card Badbark.

Good yearly mileage from everyone.

Lorenzo - at the moment, just hoping I can stay injury-free for the next 15 weeks.

6 miles recovery on the treadmill this afternoon to bring up the 2,600 total for the year.  I've not had a target but this is the most I've ever run in a year (2010 being the previous high). 

Not as many races as Badbark, but the tally of 11 (but sadly no PBs) is high for me.

Highlight was the 2:59:33 marathon, low point was missing New York.

Happy New Year to Everyone - here's hoping for a year of PBs ...

• Belated Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all. Will have a proper catch up tomorrow but some highly impressive mileage totals for the year. 

My Strava and Garmin seem to have different totals for the year. So I've either done 1603 or 1589 for the year. Either way that's probably more then my previous lifetime miles so I'm happy with that!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’ve had a pretty good year, with my best runs at 3k track, 5k and 10k- I know this sounds a bit odd on a marathon thread! I did also run 5 maras for the first time ever, the best a 3:03 in NY. And reached a new record of 2551 miles for the year. The milestone of 250 parkruns also came and went. It’s a bit of a shame to end the year with the return of the hip issues. Let’s hope they don’t stick around in 2019. Congrats on the many great achievements guys and thanks for sharing them here- see you all on the other side!
  • Speedy welcome back and sounds like you are going well with 2200 miles in a year.
    Gul nice total of 3000 miles impressive stuff .
    SBD always great to get the first 20 bagged.
    Poacher only another 10 needed so one more year ! Impressive stats !
    0054 must be your biggest year yet , retirement suits you lol
    Badbark you need to find 8 secs at a parkrun near you next year , 18:XX just doesn't cut it at your level !
    PMJ 1600 mile is still a decent score 
    Lorenezo nice to get over 2k
    Birch your 2m short but not bad for an auld yin !
    Stevie good times of modest miles fair play.

No running as I had lurgy from Christmas day just getting better now, my wife had kidney infection so hospital put off her back op  till further notice so yet more waiting lol .
    Here's to 2019 Happy new year all !!!

• Hello sub315 friends. It has been a while since I posted, but I have followed your exploits from time to time. Congrats to all on some very nice 2018s!

I'm now finishing my second year of no racing (my last one was a marathon in 2016!). Inopportune injuries and life have gotten in the way. But after some decent work on my form, I think I'm more efficient now and am looking forward (hopefully) to a marathon in 2019 (fall/autumn). Finished this year with 2,140 miles, which surprised me as I had a couple of injuries that hobbled me in the spring/summer and dashed a fall marathon attempt. Another 300 miles done on the bike (plus some elliptical work). So fit and ready to go. But it doesn't get easier as we get older;) 

Anyway, happy holidays to all and May 2019 be good to each of us!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back VT great to have you back on the programme! Not too shabby at all I’d say
  • Happy New Year All!

Travelled to Leicester this morning for a parkrun double and ran into Knight Rider, formerly of this thread. 10 miles to start the year with, and accidentally a faster parkrun than I managed in the whole of 2018. I was planning on doing MP at the first one (Leicester Victoria) but it was so congested with lapped runners that I couldn't look at my watch for fear of crashing into one of them, so I just concentrated on following the guy in front of me as he cut a path through the masses. It turned out a sort of no-man's land pace, but I'll call it HMP. 19.48 on my watch. Run 2 was Braunstone, which would be a better course with lower numbers. I ran it with my friend though. 

My one and only PB of 2018 was in the javelin.  :D 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year, Gang!

Just caught up, over 50 messages. Welcome back Speedy and VT.

Have been busy over Christmas, also had a wedding to attend to yesterday where I was Best Man and had to get my speech sorted. I was more nervous about that than going into a big race. Glad it's over but it did go well.

My final run of the year was 2 days ago down in Dorset when I got 8 easy miles done on the Purbeck Ridge. Lovely run.
    That took me to 1786 for the year, my biggest ever and the first time I've done at least 100 miles in every month of the year. There were 243 runs with an annual pace of 7.27.

2018 gave me PBs in:
    Marathon. 3.05 (Chicago)
    HM. 1.25 (Surrey Half)
    5km. 18.47 (Bushy Parkrun)

My 16 week London campaign starts on Monday, so I may have the week off as I've had some tired runs recently. It will be difficult not to kick the year off, though.
  • Amazing stats BadBark, a 2:47 marathon is more in line with sub 17 minute Park Run, sub 36 mins for 10km and sub 80 minutes for HM.
    A lot of races of various distances from Pro Run to 100+ mile Ultra and 3700 miles total is impressive.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice double Speedy and a good start for the year.
    Well done GDawg, I’m also starting the Mara campaign now.
    The lurgy has lifted a bit so out for ten this morning. My parkrun (Wallsend- Rising Sun) had 860 runners yesterday when it normally gets 250!! It will be interesting to see the national stats. I managed 19:06 which was decent.
    2019, back to it guys... :)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year all!

Been reading last few days but not had chance to post.

There were some crazy stats on New Years day parkruns. My local one had nearly 700 when it normally has circa 200-250. 28 people went sub 19, when quite often sub 19 will get you in top 5.

Stevie, impressive what you have achieved off relatively low mileage even last year!

I ended the year on 2088, which is over 300 more than 217. I had a decent mixed pace long run on NYE with 5 easy, 3 at mp, 2 easy, 3 at hmp then 1 easy. Strangely I struggled to feel comfortable in the mp miles but then smashed the hmp miles. 6 at recovery yesterday afternoon then to kick start 2019.

Have my races sorted building to London as follows-

January- Brass Monkey.

February- Village Bakery half.

March- Ashby 20 (will be run as a session of sorts).

April- Centurion 5 miler.

10 mile mlr planned later today.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    DT I remembered today how close the Brass Monkey is and extended my 10 miler up to 14 and was pleased with 8:14 average pace. After the disappointment of missing my race yesterday with the lurgy it was great to post a decent effort to kickstart 2019.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the xmas thing has sort of hidden the fact that a key race is just 10 days away!! 
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Howdy Partners!    

Great to see old faces still posting, and new posters.    

I had a lovely catch up with OO at the Rising Sun Parkrun yesterday.  There were so many people!  I started quite far back and actually walked for the first 0.2 miles as there was such a bottleneck.  

I've not been racing at all and my running is sporadic to say the least.  I am travelling a lot with work now and find it really hard during the week to run then weekends are pretty busy too.  However, I have London coming up in April and a couple of other things planned this year.  I am injury free *yay* and completed a 29 mile hill race recently (off no training!) so if I can just find a bit more time I will be ok.    I'm lucky in that I am an ageing lady so nailing a GFA this year is not too difficult!

OO, Poacher and anyone else that frequents North Northumberland might be interested to know we have a Parkrun starting in Alnwick in the coming weeks.  It'll be off road but not too hilly!  I'll keep you informed. 

I will try and keen up, not with the running but with the posting, and look forward to that pint in Chandos in April. 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

That sounds like a good new parkrun Minni (a name beginning with X would help generate interest!) - good to hear you're injury free and in reasonable shape with 16 weeks still to go before London ...

Sound like a bit of focussed training required for BM over the next 12 days OO/DT!

A steady 14 mile MLR for me this afternoon.  Managed to find a new route, a single track road running through the Waddesdon Manor Estate.  Although paved, there is only the occasional car (none today), and the scenery, for just outside Aylesbury, is amazing.  Even managed to spot a couple of deer in the fields which is pretty good for a work-based lunch-time run!

Need to get the race entries organised ...

• It's too early for half marathons for me. January is all about XC!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great to have you back posting Minni and to see you of course! For sure I will make Alnwick parkrun.
    Hoping for a short run in the morning- my Birthday run :)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday OO!

Still no running here, having a break until Monday. On the upside, both Achilles are feeling so much better. I don't seem to be 80 years old when I get out of bed.
  • Had a quick catch up:

Badbark - Congratulations on the huge mileage total, hopefully you will be taking a well earned rest now!

SBD - Things seem to be progressing well post injury, that 14m sounds a lovely route

Very impressed with everyone who made parkrun on New Years Day or Christmas Day

Had a great time in Hong Kong over Christmas, only managed to get out for a little 30 min run along the harbourfront though. Managed to pick up the wrong cable so my Garmin was dead so no idea how far I went.

Manchester training has started in earnest this week, 8m Monday and then thrown back in with a 6m tempo last night. 6.31 average so not bad for the first one back.

The ultimate 2019 goal is to go sub 2.45, not to fussed about my 5/10k times but I will need to get my half time down to circa 1.17 to achieve this.