Options

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Options
    All, Happy Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.  Some serious training coming up soon! Take care.
  • Options
    All the best for 2019 peeps - have been lurking on here though there's certainly no prospect of me joining you next June! Have been thinking about training for a marathon next year though just to make myself get some exercise.
  • Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Best wishes to everyone over the festive season! I have one ultra incorporating a parkrun, a marathon and another ultra to run, three parkruns to RD, a club self-handicap 4 mile race to run (you choose when to set off, winner is the one who finishes closest to exactly noon - no watches to be worn while running!) and a club run or two planned over the next two weeks - should be good.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

F2D!!!!! I miss you and your lists so much! Lovely to hear from you and that you are in shape to consider a marathon, have you got one in mind? You know what will happen if you get to marathon level don't you? 2020?

Debra, don't forget to leave space for some tofurkey and figgy pudding!

• Options
    debra... they had to set some rules as people were starting their own marathons with just them and a few friends running and so too hard to assess if they were actually real as some people cheat... I think the rules are there somewhere.. Needs to be open to all, needs to be more than a certain number of entrants, needs to have published results etc... to prevent people just doing training runs and trying to get them counted...  I didnt bother when I looked at it a few years ago and they didnt count ironman marathons in that and thats a chunk of mine done

• Options
    had a great weekend walking around Rome.. Only running was a parkrun there.. but shattered and as all my boys will be home for Christmas have decided to bin Portsmouth marathon on Sunday... Too tired and it would have meant a long weekend away missing out on the boys...

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Southern Snail, I am honoured that you would include me in your Christmas. I will however be heading North not South, probably secretly pining for your table during the vegetarian famine I will be cast into. Its not that bad really I am allowed to go and get my own meat. The shops are only closed for a few hours and even then I bet I can find some jerky in a 24 hour petrol station, which is where I will end up Christmas shopping anyway no doubt!

18 miler for me over the weekend, which I am hoping will help me drag my bones home in under 4:50 in China, I'll drop to 13 the weekend after and then it'll be the big day the next weekend, blimey that has come around fast! 

• Options
    What the "big day" lowrez?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Xiamen marathon on 6th Jan Dannirr - hoping to qualify there, although I have Boston (Lincs) and London booked later in the year if not, and will look to put some others in the diary too. Have you got any others booked? 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Christmas Quiz anyone? The answers to the questions are hidden in column  C, they are in white text, except for the pictures, tab Pics, those answers are on tab Picans
  • Options
    I do lowrez.  I have Boston and London booked before Comrades.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Dannirr - I feel like I am looking in a mirror :) ... I hope you don't mind a little deeper questioning on Boston; UK or USA? I am a little self conscious about asking the question, as, if you were sufficiently fleet of foot you would glide into Boston USA no questions asked, but, as you previously mentioned some injuries and erring on the side of caution for a while on speed I hope I am not wrongly assuming you did not break the required age speed barrier to get in?

It sounds like you may be in the UK for an extended period in April? I am sure several of us would love to attempt to meet. We did try this last year post London on the big day, but the chaos of the day defeated us, so I would suggest something in the days prior or after possibly.

I am nowhere near qualification on either and will admit to browsing a holiday brochure earlier this year which included Boston USA, bit pricey! So I am going to look at picking up speed some time on that front. For London this year I did not make it through the lottery and so I have made a commitment to collect £1,800 for Asthma UK, which I have yet to launch a campaign for. I am currently gathering for the Northern Cleft Foundation for Xiamen, a charity Mrs 1owrez asked me to look at. I was shocked to learn that in India fixing cleft palates for children is not an automatic process, parents in poverty who cannot afford the op can do nothing about it for their kids who can end up going their whole life estranged from society because of the deformity. So NCF are doing a grand job on that front dropping in a couple of times per year to give kids the future they deserve.

Once again I have blabbed on far too much. rsvp :)

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Got a sore throat and runny nose accompanied by random sneezing - its all in the head though so I am pushing on with my 18 miler right now before it takes a greater toll on me.  
  • Options
    Greetings for the festive season, everyone - and best wishes for a happy, healthy 2019 full of running and without injuries!

I have managed to average >50 miles a week during 2018 - more than 2600 miles for the year, which is my highest mileage to date (came in a little under 2400 in 2017). Very pleased with that, and hoping to run a similar volume in 2019.
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Happy Christmas and New Year everyone.

I have got a qualification time for Comrades.  I ran 4:44:44 (nice!) at Viking Marathon last week.  I do hope to improve on that but I'm not sure when I can fit a fast marathon in.

I have also entered 2 other marathons.  SVNs Book Day challenge (2nd Feb) and The Harris Hebrides Marathon on 10th August.  Really looking forward to that one.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Great stuff TCP, perfect Xmas prezzie to yourself! You must tell us how The Hebrides goes, sounds wonderful.

My 18 miler was a bit disappointing, although I don't think the head cold helped, nor just the cup of coffee and banana I attempted to run it on. Also forgot to prep my feet and grated my chest nodules (am I allowed to say nips or is that racist?)  Oh no am I gong to get reported to #somethingorother now? I ended up crashing quite heavily to 14 minutes per mile or so in the bitter end; reminded me of desperately (seeking susan) trying to qualify 2 years ago. Still, its early days and I am really looking forward to China.

Debra, I think I did 780 or so miles this year, an average of 15mpw - that is shocking - what am I doing here? All the best for 2019 everyone - take it easy - but don't stoop to mileage as low as mine!

• Options
    TCP: well done at the Viking Coastal Marathon - pitty the weather wasn't as good as it had been on the Saturday for the Saxon Shore, but at least the rain died away during the morning and the wind was quite restrained for the south coast in December. Do report back on the Hebrides. I might see you for Book Day (the medal is amazing and the course is lovely - well, it wasn't in this year's ice and snow, but hopefully it will be better footing for yours. I probably will miss you by a day as I'm planning on doing the Megamarathon one on Sunday, so as not to be away from Lloyd parkrun too much.

lowrez: sympathies - I had a run like that with our club in early 2017. Ended up crashing out at a split point 4 miles from the clubhouse and accepting a lift home. Poor nutrition was probably the culprit then as well. Here's wishing you a year with not of great running!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Thanks Debra, same scenario minus the banana and with better kit prep for a half in 2:20 this morning, so feel more confident now. Hoping to get a 5 miler in prior to getting on the plane on Thursday. Then it'll be plain sailing to the start line.

• Options
    lowrez, glad you had a better run. Good luck for travelling and the marathon. Please check you have your passport, ticket, and entry ID you need etc. before you leave the house - let's avoid any tales of taxis going to fetch passport or whatever!

Nice 14.5 miles club run, 50% or so on trails this morning. Off to Betteshanger tomorrow for my final 6-hour challenge of the year with SVN. Aiming to run something between 50K and 35 miles, which will bring me to 2700 miles for the year (which I can scarcely believe), 38 marathons/ultras for the year (which I can also scarcely believe) and 75 marathons/ultras in total.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    20 of those run in two sets of consecutive 10 days!

I think I have made my mistake for these recent days Debra; unfortunately it involves going to a funeral, not a close relative, but sad nevertheless, I have re-checked the text message giving me the day since driving the 2 hours on Christmas Eve to get to an empty and locked church and it did correctly advise me the funeral takes place on New Year's Eve.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    It was well warm out on my run this morning, I had a long sleeve cycling top on that has a zip back pocket I like to carry emergency supplies in, even had a second top in there. After 3 miles I had no option but to go topless I was so hot and tie it around my waist. I ran topless with my man fat bouncing about for the next 9 miles. It was wonderfully cooling; at one point a white van sped by with the passenger dangling out of the window taking a photo of me! Hope I don't make any headlines; it will be horrendous for all to see.
  • Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    lowrez: yes, but I'm not doing that next year. And I must fit in two recces for NDW 50 and four for SDW100 as well as the two for Lakeland 50. Might go for Wendover Woods in November, since I won't have the 10-in-10.
    Agree it was quite warm out this morning - very mild for the end of December. As for the person taking photos: !!!!
  • Options
    they have "permanent numbers" lowrez, that's  interesting!
  • Options
    mordomordo ✭✭✭
    Happy new year to everyone and hope for an injury free 2019
    not doing any planned races (pilgrims) anytime soon as injured and will probably do Rotterdam to improve my qualification time
    any tips on shoes for comrades given I am a novice - light to save weight or cushioned for impact protection? I have never done anything longer that 34 Miles and that was trail
  • Options
    Happy New Year all, injury free. 

Lowrez, good luck in China!
  • Options
    Hoping that 2019 brings everyone injury free running. Good luck in China Lowrez, allow yourself plenty of time for everything (my experience in China was that everything seemed to take longer than I expected) and have fun, although I think your Cadbury’s goodie bag last year looked more appealing than the instant noodles!
  • Options
    good luck with China..

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone for 2019. 

Mordo, I’ve always used the same shoes for Comrades that I would wear for a road marathon. 
  • Options
    Happy New Year everyone! Wishing you all a running-filled, injury-free 2019.
  • Options
    Happy New Year to you all

Lowrez - have a fabulous time in China. You've obviously got a trick up your sleeve to enter the country!! Can't wait to hear