Sub 3

Comments

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    TT - Hope CC2 SG has suggested the cure for your woes!
    SJ - I will second LMH's advice. 
    Dan - Pretty sharp parkrace, always impressed how you knock out such fast times off the back of heavy mileage or drinking. 
    Padams - The end is in sight, suppose it madness to carry on into 2019 with it?
    TR - A cracking total with a few more to come. 
    Just ticking over with daily sharpish runs of around 5-9 miles which feels about right as less than 3 weeks post Malaga marathon.  But with the Gran Canaria marathon now 4 Sundays away, off for a 15 miler in the morning. After umming and arring, decided I will run the marathon and hopefully pace a mate to his first sub 3 marathon in 2 years (he already has 20 in the bag but lost his pace/confidence the past year, running his 3 this year all in 3.06 but looks like his pace has come back). 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    SG - would be rude not to indeed, esp as you need 30 more, with a weekend in there, so a long run would mean two easy days woyld see you home.

OO - i like your plan, 2.59 would keep the streak going and help your mate out. bloody frustrating doing three 3.06 in a row. I'll be grumpy if i do another couple of 3.01 in my next two.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    20 for me today, legs were pretty tired by the end, but to be fair they were pretty tired before the start.
  • Club XC hills for me today. I haven't done a session of any description since mid November. Ouch. I quite enjoyed it in a masochistic sort of way.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Well gritted out TR, the first 20 of a campaign is usually the hardest.

Good session toughed out CC2.

OO.. nice gesture pacing your mate, a marathon mini train is often successful.

My 3rd Park Run of the week up in Wallsend.  27mph winds and 45mph gusts were an unwelcome arrival this morning!  Fortunately the course has hedges and wooded sections so this took the sting out of the wind a bit.  Nice course so enjoyed the bracing run out anyway.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's the one CC2, I think the course has been tweaked in the last year, same start & finish but just one big loop around the lake.
  • Sounds better than the old one, there used to be a little loop in the middle where you ended up stuck behind the mid-pack runners, who were plentiful and took up the whole path so it was hard to get past.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - thats a lot of park running. Do they put extra on for Christmas Day and NYD ?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. yes, though not all venues depending on volunteers etc.  Some of the NYD Parkruns start a bit later than the usual 9am.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good idea, gives more time to anyone thats on the sauce on NYE.

Just an easy 6m for me today, legs felt ok after days 20, but want to do something half decent tomorrow.
  • First 20 out of the way today. Felt ok until last 25 minutes when HR rose and effort level had to be increased a little. Other than that not too bad at all.

Neck and shoulder still not 100% so took it nice and easy which worked out well. Still stretching and applying heat. Range of movement returning so will keep going over next week but all easy stuff.
  • 16 for me today, which felt like hard work, but then it is only 2 weeks since the ultra. It seems like a lifetime ago and I keep forgetting how recent it was. 
  • Another here who's not posted for a while, but compared with CC2 I've only been away a nanosecond.  Good to see you back & running well.

Good effort getting 20 in SJ. The first one of the campaign will always be hard at the end - if it wasn't we wouldn't need to do them!

SG - Fortunately I'm some way short of that total, because there's no way I could have resisted fitting in the final 30, which wouldn't have gone down well!

Starting to build up again a bit here as well.  16 over Box Hill the Sunday before Xmas made 50 for the week for the first time for a while.  Half the family did parkrun Xmas day, the other half stayed in bed.  Then to finish off the year an actual race, the appropriately named Staplehurst End of the Year 10 miler.  This year made it three in a row, with my finish times separated by 12s, this year's 61:19 nicely in the middle.  It's a mostly slightly undulating course with a nice 8% hill stuck in at 6-7 miles.  On the plus side that makes the final section the quickest of the race if you've paced it well.  The other  down side was that one of the blokes who finished in front last year repeated the feat this year but has turned 50 in the meantime.  

Happy new year to everyone.  Probably a double parkrun day if junior feels up to it.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

CD - nice run at the 10M race, good to see you're maintaining your performances with a slightly reduced training load.

StevieG - I'm sure we'd all do the same, trying to hit the arbitrary target. Can't end the year on 2,99x miles! 

Good to see the long runs starting already by several of you - you'll be shelling peas in no time.

I only hit 39M last week in the end - 11M on Saturday and nothing yesterday. Should be able to get a lunchtime run in today which will get me to 151M for December and a nice round 2,128M for the year.

112 press-ups left, will squeeze them in at lunchtime!

• Nice racing CD.

Well done on the press ups Padams.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Sj - well done on the 20.

PAdams - nearly there, give yourself a few press up free days after this!

CD - sounds like you are in decent shape.

Finished rhe year with another 20, legs felt atronger than during Saturday's and i finished strongly.

344 for December, 3086 for the year.

After no races in 2016, and only one in 2017, i managed to finish 2x10k, 1x10m, 4x 1/2 and Abo in 2018. Plenty of lows with lots of personal worse performances,  and vlm and yeovil ruined by hammy issues. But the 3.01 off a reduced build up gives me hope that 2019 can be better.

Best have a few beers later to rehydrate.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

CD/Padams - ta, yep, I genuinely believed I would be 20-30miles off the big 3k a few weeks ago, but then 66.5, 69, 75 happened, leaving the final 5 today to make it.

Had a 2013 fb memory pop up today quoting 3087.5miles in 2013, so I dare say I've been ticking over at this level for a fair few years now - 57.7 a week needed all year, so fairly reasonable I guess

Good work on all the really long runs cracking over folks. I don't think I've ever finished a 15/16 and thought, I fancied more today.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Just had time to fit in 9.3m this morning before New Year's Eve preparations - we've got 14 for dinner tonight accompanied by a gallon of fine wine and a magnum of champagne.  Could be messy!
    My year has finished on 2606 miles so just over 50mpw.  A heel bruise that's been a minor irritation since the summer has finally disappeared over Xmas too so all seems to have ended well.
    SG.. well done on the 3000m+, definitely worth a beerio celebration later.
    Nice long runs in the bank TR, CC2, SJ.  
    CD.. great time in the 10 miler.
    Padams.. congrats on finishing the press up challenge!
    LMH.. I've just realised that Brass Monkey is only 2 weeks away, I'm sure it's a week earlier than usual!
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Press-ups done, plus 6M easy/steady - felt surprising good and was cruising along at 6:40-6:50s.

OO - don't mention stuff like continuing the press-ups, I might actually be tempted! Once I start a challenge like this I can't stop.

TR - very impressive to get another 20 done, that December mileage is great. Keep at it and it will all come together in a race soon.

Hope everyone has a good evening - I'll almost certainly be in bed by 11pm!

• I wish I lived closer Wardi..............hope you have a good evening. Yes, taper time hence just 16 for me yesterday and no long run this week.

Padams - I shall mostly be going to bed early as usual then moaning when I'm woken up by the fireworks :) 

Hope you get the return that you deserve TR, you are putting in some great consistent miles.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Padams - congrats on the 61k press ups!!

HNY all...
  • Happy New Year - I hope 2019 is a good one.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year folks, hope its a sub3 year !

Wardi - hope your party went well.

Padams - enjoy the press up free day.

When is brass monkey ?  I have a 10k on 13th Jan, but i wont be tapering.

7m easy for me. Will aim for 310+ in January and the 10m/day average.
  • Snap on the early to bed and moaning when woken up by fireworks LMA! 11.45pm to 12.45pm, non stop! 

Parkrun double this morning. Leicester Victoria, which is very congested and by lap 2 I was weaving in and out of large numbers of runners, on lap 3 I gave up and ran on the grass a lot of the time. I was intending an MP outing but dodging the lapped runners meant I couldn't look at my watch for fear of running into one of them, so I just latched on to the guy in front of me and followed him through the crowds. Ended up closer to current HMP with 19.48 on the clock and 1st lady. Then over to Braunstone, which is an odd one. There was a burnt out car at the finish line and the park seems to be in the middle of a council estate, but right in the middle of it is a really posh hotel. Nice course though. I jogged round that one with my friend

10 miles on the clock to start the year. 

Happy New Year all!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I was awake until 4am, as the spo couldnt relax until both my lads had come home !

CC - nice one on the double. Parkrun still hasnt entered my world, im more likely to get a gadget or a club vest first, and both of those are unlikely. Each to their own though.

Backed up my run with some squats, deadlifts, lunges, pull ups, push ups and core work......it is NYD after all, and then put all the Christmas decs back up in the loft.

Time to crack on towards Brighton, Yeovil and Abo.
  • Double for me too, although I couldn't get junior along this time.  Felt a bit rough after having a bit of a temperature during the night, but ran anyway.  Bushy Park first, 18:26 trailing in a bit behind CW although I never spotted him.  Then over to Kingston for the second, started steady but finished decently in 18:39.  Almost 13 miles in total, a good start to the year.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one CD, was Nell there? She is upping her running for VLM again (she probably remembers running with me for a while in 2012), shame i wont be there!
  • Happy New Year everyone. Quiet one at home for us with double cinema during the day with a meal and then back home to clean out the remaining booze.. one bottle of red shared with Mrs SJ so no hangovers here.

Nice park running folks. I did wonder why there were so many warm-ups/cool down jogs on Strava today.

13 weeks to go until Manchester so 9miles /4@tempo this afternoon on the P&D schedule. Neck spasm has improved massively and didn't trouble me at all today.
  • Same day TR - it's a target race for me before I commit to London training hence the taper.

Good news sj.

Hope you aren't going to come down with something CD.

They are a pain in the proverbial CC2 - drive me mad.

Beautiful day for running here so I did 14 then went to the gym this afternoon - start as you mean to go on and all that.